Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013)
Chevelle66

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

01-27-2014 21:01:35 | More by dsnyder61
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

07-28-2014 21:14:26 | More by woodychandler
sjones5045

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

01-01-2014 22:33:26 | More by sjones5045

salamiwagon

12-10-2013 05:49:34 | More by salamiwagon
Villanovan

4.19/5  rDev +14.2%

Philbe has the review nailed down accurately so I won't try to duplicate. However, I thought the whole was better than the sum of the parts and was very fond of the taste. I was afraid that the chocolate cherry would be a bit overly sweet as this is not my favorite thing to do to a milk stout but it was subtle enough to enhance and not be cloying It goes down deceptively easily for an 8.0 abv beer.

11-02-2013 13:21:20 | More by Villanovan
JJKBeerLvr

4.11/5  rDev +12%

Sampled February 2014 from bottles in pint glass. This is the first time that I had drank this beer. I likes the beer and had a second.

Appearance: Medium/dark color with a nice tan head, and the head lasted a long time.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong chocolate aromas. The chocolate gave a sweet smell, especially compared to other stouts.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt, hops, and chocolate. There is a sweet flavor due to the chocolate, but it has an excellent overall taste. The chocolate is more pronounced than other "chocolate" stouts I have tried.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy.

Overall: Great stout. I enjoyed the multiple bottles that I drank, and I would buy this again.

02-23-2014 00:55:37 | More by JJKBeerLvr
pinyin

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

A unique balance of flavorings going on here.

Slightly sweet, but not bitter.

I actually prefer the smaller head on this stout.

The smell and mouthfeel are both excellent and the coloring and lacing are awesome.

Definitely a fan of Saucony Creek now.

07-31-2014 17:26:25 | More by pinyin