Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013)
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

After finding this a few weeks ago, I finally got around to tasting this.

Poured a very dark brown, almost black color with a very thin, tan head which dissipated within 5 minutes. To my "untrained' nose & palate the only thing I noticed was a coffee aroma with little to no cherry. I was also disappointed with the lack of any cherry flavor.

Although I would purchase and drink this again, I feel it did not live up to most of the reviews that I've read.

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

3.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a thick deep dark ruby brown with a razor thin head, reminiscent of a mocha café beige swirl. Aroma is of sweet black cherry fruity essence and chocolate aroma as well. Taste is sweet black cherry with a mild roasted chocolate malt flavor. Palate is thick and full flavored, mild carbonation and slight sticky and creamy mouth feel. Finish is a lingering sweet black cherry and mild roasted chocolate malt, some esspresso and light bitterness on the end for balance. Surprisingly this brew is not overly sweet but balanced just right with a good combination of flavors. Overall a very good, tasty and flavorful holiday brew and sweet treat. very nice

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I split a case of this with my brother Brian. Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter.
I pour aggressively and get a minimal beige head that is a sturdy edge layer only almost immediately after I sit down my bottle.
Aroma is rich and kind of sweet, I get chocolate and cherry, almost like a cordial, plus a little vanilla and brown sugar too. No real booze or hops on the nose that I pick up this is a sweet malty brew on the nose.
First sip reveals a silky textured smooth beer that has mild carbonation that effortlessly rolls across my palate.
Flavor is less sweet than the nose predicted but is still nice milk chocolate and a bit of cherry flavor, not sweet cherry though like ice cream or candy. Actually almost like a cherry that isnt quite ripe. A little bitey booze is present on the finish, but otherwise this beer is vvery drinkable and enjoyable. Probably would be perfect on a cold winter's evening but I also like it just fine after this frantic Saturday in September.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle from Dad as a gift. Thanks dad! Pours dark brown to black heading into the glass with a big creamy khaki brown head. Aroma of lactose, chocolate, light coffe grinds, hint of roast, don't get much cherries. Flavor is chocolate and lactose, light roast, caramel, and some additional sweetness that I assume is some cherry, but doesn't come across as such. Medium bodied with medium plus carbonation for the style. Pretty easy drinking and pleasant. Actually significantly better than I had expected. Worth a drink.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.28/5  rDev +16%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

The brew pours dark brown with an off white head. The aroma is roasted and coffee like with a hint of dark cherry. In the taste, roasted malt, coffee, cherry and lactose sugar with an added creaminess. Semi sweet but not cloying at all, slight hops and a big roast seem to curb that. Overall this is a nice beer that is easy to drink, good balance between the cherries and roasted notes. Full bodied, flavorful beer.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It's a very good tasting porter. Silky and creamy from the lactate. Some sour from the lactic acid combats the cherry and chocolate sweetness. Really velvety. Mouthfeel incredibly smooth, like drinking a beer milkshake. Once again the flavor could pass for cherry chocolate chip ice cream. Finishes with a dry bakers chocolate taste, but still lots of residual sweetness. Poured a dark brown, really no head nor lacing. Has a pleasant but not overpowering aroma paralleling the palate: chocolate, cherries, light caramel, brown sugar. Not the best beer on a hot and humid day, but nice any other time.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

A unique balance of flavorings going on here.

Slightly sweet, but not bitter.

I actually prefer the smaller head on this stout.

The smell and mouthfeel are both excellent and the coloring and lacing are awesome.

Definitely a fan of Saucony Creek now.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

Schnickelfritz from Saucony Creek Brewing Company