Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Saucony Creek "Schnickelfritz"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.79 @ Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

Appearance: Very dark brown body. Long-lasting creamy tan head. The body is clear because I can see chunks of heavy sediment at the bottom of glass, occasionally rising with a bubble only to break apart and fall back down - not too nice to look at, but at least it's a dark beer.

Aroma: Chocolatey with a hint of alcohol and fruit combined, but if you look further the cherry is easier to find - go ahead, give it a swirl.

Flavor: As might be expected. The cherry comes through clearly but it's also a bit berry-like, or perhaps that's the yeast talkin'. Chocolatey. Not too malty, and certainly not too fruity. A solid bitterness backs it but you don't particularly notice it until the finish where some moderate dull hops appear (leafy, herbal). The alcohol is pretty well veiled at the start but begins to show about midway through as it warms a little. Still, it's not "hot".

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, but not thick, just beyond the "medium-full and dextrinous point". The carbonation is very fine-bubbled, and probably just under a median level of around 2.4 volumes CO2/liter. It's smooth with just enough bite.

Overall: Not a bad beer by any means, and the chocolate and cherry are pleasant, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer it as simply an Imperial Milk Stout". I'll definitely look for this in fall to add to my after-dinner sipper line-up.

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%

I had this at Brewhouse Grill in Camp Hill

Not sure what was going on with this beer...after reading more I discovered it is a cherry stout
it had tart and fruity flavors I don't expect
The color is deep brown like walnut shells with frothy almost nitro creamy looking head with good retention. The smell has a faint fruit and sour cherry aroma with very little in the way of malt or roasted grain, light sour odor. The feel is okay, moderately carbonated again a bit tart for th style with mild alcohol as it warms

The flavor is not bad, but the feel leads you one way and the flavor another - tart fruity flavor slight yeast taste with mild caramel notes and tangy from start to finish, no creaminess or real roasted flavor you would expect in a milk/sweet stout - not very sweet but alcohol is noticeable as it warms. overall I had finished this so I consider it passable for the style - it just doesn't seem like a traditional take, -it has a fruit taste that distracts from any stout character that supposedly it is based on -I would prefer a more solid less thin base if this is a milk stout with sour cherry fruit addition

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This seems like it would be a good milk stout without the cherries. With it, there is an added level of sweetness that kicks it up just a wee bit too much. Regardless, it's still pretty smooth. Quite easy to drink. Very pleasant. I like it. Glad I was able to find this one.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

The brew pours dark brown with an off white head. The aroma is roasted and coffee like with a hint of dark cherry. In the taste, roasted malt, coffee, cherry and lactose sugar with an added creaminess. Semi sweet but not cloying at all, slight hops and a big roast seem to curb that. Overall this is a nice beer that is easy to drink, good balance between the cherries and roasted notes. Full bodied, flavorful beer.

2.92/5  rDev -20.2%

Pitch black and completely opaque with a two finger beige head that very slowly settles into a lasting ring. Good retention with sporadic spotty lacing left behind.

Slightly smokey roasted dark malt aroma with a strong burnt/acrid character with hints of charred toast, used coffee grounds, ashtray and liquid smoke. Very subtle chocolate presence and a touch of lactose but I'm not picking up any cherry or dark fruit sweetness. As it warms, I'm picking up some dark cocoa, oatmeal and a faint sweeter chocolate presence but the roast /burnt malt is really overpowering.

Medium body and slightly over carbonated but this beer has more complexity and interesting flavor than the nose suggested. There's still a heavy roasted malt character but it's decently balanced by sweeter notes, lactose and subtle cherry sweetness. Up front there's some smokey, deeply roasted malt flavor with hints of bitter dark chocolate, burnt toast, oatmeal and robust coffee grinds. This is countered by some lighter malt sweetness with milk chocolate, caramel and toffee while the lactose gives a sweet and slightly creamy presence that counters the heavy roast. As it warms up a bit, the cherry flavor stands out a bit more but is still heavily muted by the prominent malt bill and creamy lactose. The carbonation and mouthfeel are a bit off but the ABV is well masked making this beer pretty easy to drink. Overall, not all that exciting but decent enough.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color, no head whatsoever. Smell is of chocolate, some cherries. Taste is chocolate, lots of roasted malts, some cherry, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall i found this to be a tasty and enjoyable beer.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

-Chocolate cherry imperial milk stout.

A: Coffee bean-chocolate pour has a creamy, mocha tinted head that was moderately retaining. Whispy eyelash lacing.

S: Dark rich chocolate milk, freshly grounded coffee beans upfront, with a bit of lightly dry bakers chocolate bitterness coming on the tail. An average delivery strength holds back what could of been a better rating.

T: Flavor was rich sweet dark chocolate and freshly laced creamer and vanilla bean coffee. Milk chocolate, cocoa sweetness, with some fresh cherries and a finish of spicy figs and peach fruitiness. Some chocolate syrup lighlty coats the tongue on the go.

M: creamy, somewhat silky and full bodied offering showing a good carbonation factor.

O: Overall some decent chocolate-cherry accents, some degree of complexity, milkiness but definitly a dessert style type of drink limited in appeal and serving.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via Growling at the Moon. Thanks for the brew, Dain!

Pours into an imperial pint glass, forming a 1" brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head lasts and lasts, fizzing away slowly, with leggy chunky lace. Aroma is sweet coffee.

Taste is sweet to start, light coffee in the middle, with creamy milk sugars through the close. Mouthfeel is smooth with some prickliness, and drinkability is good. Pretty good.

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

I am really hoping the "cherry" flavor is natural rather than a mild side effect from slight infection. Paid $3.50 for the single.

A - Well it looks good again like the Hop Suplex it has hardly no carbonation just a 1/4 inch that fades back to nothing and the beer itself is quite dark with mild amber hues at the base.
S - Ah good its not infected! Lactic sugars, roasted malts, and just a hint of chocolate it smells great!
T - Its smooth, rather sweet with some cherry flavor and I do get some chocolate malt taste. Roasts are mild and sugars are great. This is a very above average milk stout.
M - It has a pretty great medium body and mildly chewy. I can dig it.

Overall I was more impressed with this so maybe they should stick to to maltier beers, which is actually my favorite of styles Bocks, Imperial Stouts, and Porters. GET ON IT guys!

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Slightly above average sweet stout. Taste is sweet and dark chocolate, cream, roasted malt and light dark cherries. I wish the cherries were more pronounced. Would not pass this up, but I prefer others.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 bottle into pint glass

black in color, off-white color head that fades. I do pick up the chocolate and cherry in the aroma, as advertised. taste is well balanced, not too sweet. can't tell it's higher alcohol. medium body and caronation level. It could be thicker and fuller bodied.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle from Dad as a gift. Thanks dad! Pours dark brown to black heading into the glass with a big creamy khaki brown head. Aroma of lactose, chocolate, light coffe grinds, hint of roast, don't get much cherries. Flavor is chocolate and lactose, light roast, caramel, and some additional sweetness that I assume is some cherry, but doesn't come across as such. Medium bodied with medium plus carbonation for the style. Pretty easy drinking and pleasant. Actually significantly better than I had expected. Worth a drink.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I split a case of this with my brother Brian. Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter.
I pour aggressively and get a minimal beige head that is a sturdy edge layer only almost immediately after I sit down my bottle.
Aroma is rich and kind of sweet, I get chocolate and cherry, almost like a cordial, plus a little vanilla and brown sugar too. No real booze or hops on the nose that I pick up this is a sweet malty brew on the nose.
First sip reveals a silky textured smooth beer that has mild carbonation that effortlessly rolls across my palate.
Flavor is less sweet than the nose predicted but is still nice milk chocolate and a bit of cherry flavor, not sweet cherry though like ice cream or candy. Actually almost like a cherry that isnt quite ripe. A little bitey booze is present on the finish, but otherwise this beer is vvery drinkable and enjoyable. Probably would be perfect on a cold winter's evening but I also like it just fine after this frantic Saturday in September.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Highly let down. It tasted like an average homebrew at best. The adjuncts are just not here with these guys. It looked and felt more like a brown ale than an imperial milk stout. You could kinda sorta taste a hint of cherry if I told you it was in there. If you tried it blind, you would think odd brown ale.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Couldn't resist picking this up after Maple Mistress far exceeded my expectations...

A - The pour is slightly viscous and yields nothing more than a half fingers worth of light-to-medium colored khaki froth that quickly fades away... What remains is an uneven slightly splotchy veil of lacing with a thin collar... Some carbonation bubbles can be seen bursting through the surface... The color is quite black, but rather a deep rich dark chestnut brown that allows some bits of light to leak in around the edges... Appears mostly still at first glance, but there are some very small streaks of micro-sized bubbles streaking through the top of the glass at a very rapid pace...

S - The aroma is rather pleasant and fairly complex... The mildy sweet lactose presence is undeniable... Next some seem rich slightly bitter chocolate... Some bing cherries... A very light hint of some faint roasted malts... Perhaps even a bit nutty...

T - The flavor profile begins to raise this brew to a much higher level... All the expected elements from the nose are present, but they work in harmony to create a truly complex flavor profile... Each component rises and feels as each takes a turn starring... Each sip reveals a slightly new nuance... A bit sweet overall, but far from cloying... Chocolate cake... Cherries... Light roasted malts... Perhaps a hint of coffee... Faint blueberries... The lactose sweetness is throughout.. A very little boozy component rises on the finish as this one warms a tad bit...

M - Medium to full bodied... Limited carbonation... Decadent... Smooth... Lush... Creamy... Sultry... Velvety... You get the picture yet??? Silky... Rich... Satisfying... Do you need me to keep going??? Very near world class in this category...

D - Average at best appearance and aroma give way to outstanding flavor and exceptional mouthfeel... The end result is a very enjoyable and memorable desert beer... I can easily see myself relaxing with one of these in my hands after the end to a long winter's day... Another offering from Saucony Creek not to be missed... One odd note however, most beers tend to improve as they come closer to room temperature, this one however falls off a slight bit which made me go back and tweak down some of m ratings...

2.82/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance is a dark brown with ruby edges and a finger of creamy head. The nose smells like cherries, but it’s more like something artificial than something that may have grown on a tree at one time. The taste is dominated by a cherry cough syrup flavor which is quite unpleasant. I did not get any hints of chocolate and it was difficult to judge the stout qualities with the nasty cough syrup flavor getting in the way.

3.88/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up in Totowa this past week, having never had any of the Saucony Creek beers before. Since it's cold out, this would be the reason to crack a good Stout open and this fit the bill for something to enjoy during these cold and snowy nights! While this was not anything that stood out in any particular way, I found this easy to drink and a good example of what a Milk/Sweet Stout should be. The lactose wasn't high here and neither was the alcohol and the tartness of the cherries was present but not overwhelming, even if the taste was a bit artificial.

Nice, dark pour to this, with a tan and creamy head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The lacing was visible but spotty as there only a few spots of it here and there as I worked my way through this. Lots of milk chocolate and some power in the nose, reinforced by a syrupy cherry taste once I took sips of this. Not a lot of alcohol and only a faint amount of bitter chocolate and lactose were to be detected here. The mouthfeel was quite smooth and made this go down easier than I would have expected. The carbonation was light and led to a gentle scrubbing of the cocoa after each sip. Only a bit of alkali remained in the aftertaste and there was hardly any tartness that remained once the liquid went down.

Smooth? Look no further than this. I didn't feel a large warming effect from this and the booze was well-hidden. Although I only bought one bottle of this, I may go ahead and get a 4-pack as I would love to give this a go again. Not thick like the "motor oil" Stouts, this one's a keeper in the sense that it's so unoffensive and not as sweet as other Milk Stouts that it straddles the line between strong and weak quite nicely. Out of dessert? Grab one of these instead - it's enough to be enjoyed after a meal all by itself!

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

On draft at paradise by the slice
Drank on Sunday nov 24 2013
Review from notes
Had a very black color body with no head. Thev aroma as it warmed up was of roasted malt and chocolate. The taste had a very nice chocolate taste with the malt was very valanced. I didn't get any cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth and overall it was a good beer.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a smell that reminds me of coffee and chocolate.
Appearance- A pitch black pour with a thick tannish colored head.
Taste- Didn't get it, it was semi-sweet but I didn't like the mesh of flavors. The milk chocolate, cherry and beer didn't work for me
Palate- A full bodied beer with moderate carbonation and a creamy texture.
Overall- An average beer at best. I liked the look and aroma but the flavor wasn't for me.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter. Thanks, Alan.

A: A deep brown with a tan half-finger head that dums down to a steady ring.

S: Chocolate, lactose, malts and light cherries.

T: Follows nose with a nice robust taste of dark chocolate, biscuity malts, cocoa and a touch of cherry juice. Smooth and tasty. Didn't feel the 8%.

M: Medium with Medium carbonation.

O: A decent milk stout with a cool touch of cherries added. Great artwork on the label

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad milk stout but I couldn't really taste the cherry at all. My wife said she could taste it a little bit on the finish but that it was a medicinal flavor so she was glad it wasn't a stronger cherry flavor.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a poco grande style glass.
A dark black body with barely a 1/2 fingers worth of head. Leaves a nice tan filmy lacing in the glass. Tiny bubbles stream up constantly, with what can be seen in the glass. Love the label!
A strong roasty smell with some faint bittersweet chocolate aromas. Very faint cherry smell, almost closer to a tart fruity smell.
Roasted malts, chocolate, sweet cherries. Body seems a little thin, but makes it very easy to drink. Love that milk stout smoothness and sweetness! This one doesn't disappoint in the flavor or mouthfeel category! Don't pick up on the 8% abv either, very nicely hidden.
Overall, what can I say other than outstanding! The cherries don't over power or dominate the taste. The tartness just adds a little something extra wit h the chocolate and lactose sweetness that is well balanced with the roasted malts. A winner in my book.

3.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer was pretty good and an interesting spin on a milk stout. The beer pours zero head which was a letdown for me as the carbonation is very low on this one. The aroma was decent with slight cherries coming thru the stout backbone and a little chocolate. The taste is good, a little syrupy but good none the less with the cherries accenting the beer. This beer is a little sweet and I could not see me downing tons of these. In the end I am glad to have a few and I can check this off the never ending list of beers I have tried.

Bottom Line: See it, give it a try its not bad at all. The ABV is totally hidden.

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a thick deep dark ruby brown with a razor thin head, reminiscent of a mocha café beige swirl. Aroma is of sweet black cherry fruity essence and chocolate aroma as well. Taste is sweet black cherry with a mild roasted chocolate malt flavor. Palate is thick and full flavored, mild carbonation and slight sticky and creamy mouth feel. Finish is a lingering sweet black cherry and mild roasted chocolate malt, some esspresso and light bitterness on the end for balance. Surprisingly this brew is not overly sweet but balanced just right with a good combination of flavors. Overall a very good, tasty and flavorful holiday brew and sweet treat. very nice

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast