Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 199 | Reviews: 37
3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This seems like it would be a good milk stout without the cherries. With it, there is an added level of sweetness that kicks it up just a wee bit too much. Regardless, it's still pretty smooth. Quite easy to drink. Very pleasant. I like it. Glad I was able to find this one.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up in Totowa this past week, having never had any of the Saucony Creek beers before. Since it's cold out, this would be the reason to crack a good Stout open and this fit the bill for something to enjoy during these cold and snowy nights! While this was not anything that stood out in any particular way, I found this easy to drink and a good example of what a Milk/Sweet Stout should be. The lactose wasn't high here and neither was the alcohol and the tartness of the cherries was present but not overwhelming, even if the taste was a bit artificial.

Nice, dark pour to this, with a tan and creamy head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The lacing was visible but spotty as there only a few spots of it here and there as I worked my way through this. Lots of milk chocolate and some power in the nose, reinforced by a syrupy cherry taste once I took sips of this. Not a lot of alcohol and only a faint amount of bitter chocolate and lactose were to be detected here. The mouthfeel was quite smooth and made this go down easier than I would have expected. The carbonation was light and led to a gentle scrubbing of the cocoa after each sip. Only a bit of alkali remained in the aftertaste and there was hardly any tartness that remained once the liquid went down.

Smooth? Look no further than this. I didn't feel a large warming effect from this and the booze was well-hidden. Although I only bought one bottle of this, I may go ahead and get a 4-pack as I would love to give this a go again. Not thick like the "motor oil" Stouts, this one's a keeper in the sense that it's so unoffensive and not as sweet as other Milk Stouts that it straddles the line between strong and weak quite nicely. Out of dessert? Grab one of these instead - it's enough to be enjoyed after a meal all by itself!

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color, no head whatsoever. Smell is of chocolate, some cherries. Taste is chocolate, lots of roasted malts, some cherry, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall i found this to be a tasty and enjoyable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On draft at paradise by the slice
Drank on Sunday nov 24 2013
Review from notes
Had a very black color body with no head. Thev aroma as it warmed up was of roasted malt and chocolate. The taste had a very nice chocolate taste with the malt was very valanced. I didn't get any cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth and overall it was a good beer.

2.82/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance is a dark brown with ruby edges and a finger of creamy head. The nose smells like cherries, but it’s more like something artificial than something that may have grown on a tree at one time. The taste is dominated by a cherry cough syrup flavor which is quite unpleasant. I did not get any hints of chocolate and it was difficult to judge the stout qualities with the nasty cough syrup flavor getting in the way.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a poco grande style glass.
A dark black body with barely a 1/2 fingers worth of head. Leaves a nice tan filmy lacing in the glass. Tiny bubbles stream up constantly, with what can be seen in the glass. Love the label!
A strong roasty smell with some faint bittersweet chocolate aromas. Very faint cherry smell, almost closer to a tart fruity smell.
Roasted malts, chocolate, sweet cherries. Body seems a little thin, but makes it very easy to drink. Love that milk stout smoothness and sweetness! This one doesn't disappoint in the flavor or mouthfeel category! Don't pick up on the 8% abv either, very nicely hidden.
Overall, what can I say other than outstanding! The cherries don't over power or dominate the taste. The tartness just adds a little something extra wit h the chocolate and lactose sweetness that is well balanced with the roasted malts. A winner in my book.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black with brown around the edges, No head to speak of.
Its really tough to get any cherry out of the smell, if I wasn't expecting it I probably wouldn't smell it. Mostly a softened roasty smell of a good stout.
The cherries definitely show up in the taste. There are all in the finish, sometime a bit to much but never crossing past the nice cherry taste to the cherry cough drop taste.
Decent thickness, Overall another good beer from a local brewery.

3.01/5  rDev -17.5%

I had this at Brewhouse Grill in Camp Hill

Not sure what was going on with this beer...after reading more I discovered it is a cherry stout
it had tart and fruity flavors I don't expect
The color is deep brown like walnut shells with frothy almost nitro creamy looking head with good retention. The smell has a faint fruit and sour cherry aroma with very little in the way of malt or roasted grain, light sour odor. The feel is okay, moderately carbonated again a bit tart for th style with mild alcohol as it warms

The flavor is not bad, but the feel leads you one way and the flavor another - tart fruity flavor slight yeast taste with mild caramel notes and tangy from start to finish, no creaminess or real roasted flavor you would expect in a milk/sweet stout - not very sweet but alcohol is noticeable as it warms. overall I had finished this so I consider it passable for the style - it just doesn't seem like a traditional take, -it has a fruit taste that distracts from any stout character that supposedly it is based on -I would prefer a more solid less thin base if this is a milk stout with sour cherry fruit addition

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer was pretty good and an interesting spin on a milk stout. The beer pours zero head which was a letdown for me as the carbonation is very low on this one. The aroma was decent with slight cherries coming thru the stout backbone and a little chocolate. The taste is good, a little syrupy but good none the less with the cherries accenting the beer. This beer is a little sweet and I could not see me downing tons of these. In the end I am glad to have a few and I can check this off the never ending list of beers I have tried.

Bottom Line: See it, give it a try its not bad at all. The ABV is totally hidden.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Philbe has the review nailed down accurately so I won't try to duplicate. However, I thought the whole was better than the sum of the parts and was very fond of the taste. I was afraid that the chocolate cherry would be a bit overly sweet as this is not my favorite thing to do to a milk stout but it was subtle enough to enhance and not be cloying It goes down deceptively easily for an 8.0 abv beer.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Couldn't resist picking this up after Maple Mistress far exceeded my expectations...

A - The pour is slightly viscous and yields nothing more than a half fingers worth of light-to-medium colored khaki froth that quickly fades away... What remains is an uneven slightly splotchy veil of lacing with a thin collar... Some carbonation bubbles can be seen bursting through the surface... The color is quite black, but rather a deep rich dark chestnut brown that allows some bits of light to leak in around the edges... Appears mostly still at first glance, but there are some very small streaks of micro-sized bubbles streaking through the top of the glass at a very rapid pace...

S - The aroma is rather pleasant and fairly complex... The mildy sweet lactose presence is undeniable... Next some seem rich slightly bitter chocolate... Some bing cherries... A very light hint of some faint roasted malts... Perhaps even a bit nutty...

T - The flavor profile begins to raise this brew to a much higher level... All the expected elements from the nose are present, but they work in harmony to create a truly complex flavor profile... Each component rises and feels as each takes a turn starring... Each sip reveals a slightly new nuance... A bit sweet overall, but far from cloying... Chocolate cake... Cherries... Light roasted malts... Perhaps a hint of coffee... Faint blueberries... The lactose sweetness is throughout.. A very little boozy component rises on the finish as this one warms a tad bit...

M - Medium to full bodied... Limited carbonation... Decadent... Smooth... Lush... Creamy... Sultry... Velvety... You get the picture yet??? Silky... Rich... Satisfying... Do you need me to keep going??? Very near world class in this category...

D - Average at best appearance and aroma give way to outstanding flavor and exceptional mouthfeel... The end result is a very enjoyable and memorable desert beer... I can easily see myself relaxing with one of these in my hands after the end to a long winter's day... Another offering from Saucony Creek not to be missed... One odd note however, most beers tend to improve as they come closer to room temperature, this one however falls off a slight bit which made me go back and tweak down some of m ratings...

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »