Hop Suplex - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Hop SuplexHop Suplex

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hop Suplex is juiced with six different hop varieties in the brew kettle and our slow, heavy weight dry-hop additions added by HopfenKubel. Hop Suplex Ale features Saucony's widest range of hop varieties and our most complex hopping schedule. Hop Suplex weighs in at 10% ABV compliments of a hefty grain bill, but a dose of honey balances the flavor and compliments the floral and strong citrus tones of grapefruit, melon, and gooseberry provided from our favorite selection of hops.

(Beer added by: DaveHack on 02-16-2014)

dsnyder61, Aug 27, 2014

megamass, Aug 25, 2014

hozersr, Aug 15, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

BraveMountie, Aug 10, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden orange color with a small foamy white head that reduces to a smaller layer, a little bit of sediment floating around

S- big emphasis on tropical fruity hops with notes of mango, pineapple, guava and orange. It actually smells like guava nectar, unusual for an IPA, but nice

T- tropical emphasis continues through to the taste, with highlights of guava and mango. Slightly piney hop bitterness, sweet and sugary malt lead to a fruity finish with lingers of more guava on the close

M- medium body and carbonation lead to a foamy mouthfeel and a smooth finish

O- a different take on a DIPA, but if you like tropical fruity hops, this is definitely worth a try. Bonus points for the awesome label, OOOOHHHH YEEEEAAAH!

Treyliff, Aug 07, 2014

sneth019, Aug 07, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

ChrisR123, Aug 01, 2014

thatoneguymike, Aug 01, 2014
3.69/5  rDev -0.3%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "From farm to pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

Oh, here we go! I had spent a nice afternoon in the company of my late Pops on the 13th anniversary of his death and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a DIPA surfaced! The hops boys were ready to tag team me, so I donned my way cool knitted hophead hat and headed for the corner. Pinky was the first to come after me, flexing his muscles and acting like Billy Badass with that face paint. I ripped the cap off with my teeth and dug right in. I flew off of that turnbuckle like I had been turned upside down and jammed into a glass. As a matter of fact ... I was not going to play around with these guys. Their friends had spent the afternoon softening me up and now they were coming at me with a 10% tag team! I used a Neshaminy Creek glass since one Creek is just like another, right? Wrong! That really set them off for some reason and once the massive three-plus fingers of tawny head settled, Lil Yella Fella came off the ropes and kicked me square in the jaw. Color was a hazy Deep-amber (SRM = 13) and all of a sudden, things got hazy. I am not a big guy, but I picked up Lil Yella Fella and threw him over my shoulder and onto the mat with a thud. Mouthfeel, like Pinky, was medium, but with a wallop. He got me with a forearm to my chest and then to my jaw, clamping it shut just as the hops really went to work on my tongue. Jeez-O-Man! I was getting from outside and within. No wonder these little hoppy creeps looked and felt so confident. My leathery tongue was up to the task, however, and fought the juicy, citrusy hops until the weaker caramel malts showed themselves and then my tongue showed them all who was boss, sending them packing towards my throat. Once more, I was feeling a burn from inside and out. The hops made a resurgence on the finish just as Pinky chopped me in the Adam's Apple, all of which sank me to my knees. Now, Lil Yella Fella came hurling at me, feet first and caught me in the ribs. I began to gasp. Where had all of this come from? It had been such a nice, quiet, contemplative afternoon until now, and suddenly I was getting my ass kicked by a DIPA double team. It just did not seem fair until I remembered that I am a self-proclaimed hophead and there will always be those characters who want to take you down a notch. I weakly dragged myself over to the gloating Lil Yella Fella where I slowly dragged myself up off of the mat and to his astonishment, grabbed him by his ankles and began to twirl him around like the blades of a helicopter. This also caught Pinky off-guard, because he unthinkingly waded in to help his Lil buddy, only to get nailed on the chin by Lil Yella Fella's head. Pinky went down like I had hit him with a metal folding chair, which my corner was encouraging me to do, and then I began beating him with the now-unconscious Lil Yella Fella until the ref stepped in and called the fight. I climbed out from between the ropes and called Saucony Creek B.C. and told them to keep their weak stuff at home, where they belong. Once again, woodychandler reigns as Champion of Hops!

Addendum: At 3.69, my rDev is currently 0! That is as rare as sunshine in PA in February.

woodychandler, Jul 29, 2014

JohnK17, Jul 28, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense one finger white head, minimal lacing.

S: Floral grapefruit, apricot and a bit of pine. A modest bit of caramel malt with a bit of citrus.

T: Balanced toward the hop end of course with a nice floral grapefruit and apricot flavor. Caramel malt comes in the middle with a surprisingly sweet orange-like flavor, much like an English malt. The bitterness comes in fairly strong in the end and survives through the semi-dry finish. Subdued bread crust in the background.

M: medium light body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Overall this is a nice hoppy IPA. It has a nice bitter kick in the finish but is quite sweet at the same time. There's a nice citrusy orange like malt flavor going on. This might not appeal to lovers of IPA's but I like it. Nice variety. It's like an overly hopped ESB. Not terribly complex but clean and distinct divide between Flavor and aroma hops and malt character.

slusk, Jul 25, 2014