Hop Suplex - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Hop SuplexHop Suplex

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hop Suplex is juiced with six different hop varieties in the brew kettle and our slow, heavy weight dry-hop additions added by HopfenKubel. Hop Suplex Ale features Saucony's widest range of hop varieties and our most complex hopping schedule. Hop Suplex weighs in at 10% ABV compliments of a hefty grain bill, but a dose of honey balances the flavor and compliments the floral and strong citrus tones of grapefruit, melon, and gooseberry provided from our favorite selection of hops.

(Beer added by: DaveHack on 02-16-2014)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by fourstringer:
fourstringer

Maryland

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Moderately aggressive hand. No identifiable date.

A: Cloudy, golden orange with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Good sized chunks of visible sediment throughout. OK retention. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruit-forward hops, indistinct citrus. White grape. Occasional sour/off/lactic notes, that once noticed, were difficult to look past. Kinda catty. Good enough on the whole, but nothing is particularly standout.

T: Moderately assertive bitterness with a quickly developing, transient malt backbone. Returns to a pleasant bitterness and dry finish. Alcohol was light for 10% ABV, although a bit more pronounced at the bottom of the glass. Faint pine, grapefruit pulp linger in the aftertaste.

M: Low-to-moderate carbonation with moderate-to-fullish body. Pretty nice.

O: Does ok. A little muddled/unrefined, but certainly nothing bad. I drank it down.

Prost!

04-18-2014 04:31:05 | More by fourstringer
woodychandler

3.69/5  rDev 0%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "From farm to pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

Oh, here we go! I had spent a nice afternoon in the company of my late Pops on the 13th anniversary of his death and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a DIPA surfaced! The hops boys were ready to tag team me, so I donned my way cool knitted hophead hat and headed for the corner. Pinky was the first to come after me, flexing his muscles and acting like Billy Badass with that face paint. I ripped the cap off with my teeth and dug right in. I flew off of that turnbuckle like I had been turned upside down and jammed into a glass. As a matter of fact ... I was not going to play around with these guys. Their friends had spent the afternoon softening me up and now they were coming at me with a 10% tag team! I used a Neshaminy Creek glass since one Creek is just like another, right? Wrong! That really set them off for some reason and once the massive three-plus fingers of tawny head settled, Lil Yella Fella came off the ropes and kicked me square in the jaw. Color was a hazy Deep-amber (SRM = 13) and all of a sudden, things got hazy. I am not a big guy, but I picked up Lil Yella Fella and threw him over my shoulder and onto the mat with a thud. Mouthfeel, like Pinky, was medium, but with a wallop. He got me with a forearm to my chest and then to my jaw, clamping it shut just as the hops really went to work on my tongue. Jeez-O-Man! I was getting from outside and within. No wonder these little hoppy creeps looked and felt so confident. My leathery tongue was up to the task, however, and fought the juicy, citrusy hops until the weaker caramel malts showed themselves and then my tongue showed them all who was boss, sending them packing towards my throat. Once more, I was feeling a burn from inside and out. The hops made a resurgence on the finish just as Pinky chopped me in the Adam's Apple, all of which sank me to my knees. Now, Lil Yella Fella came hurling at me, feet first and caught me in the ribs. I began to gasp. Where had all of this come from? It had been such a nice, quiet, contemplative afternoon until now, and suddenly I was getting my ass kicked by a DIPA double team. It just did not seem fair until I remembered that I am a self-proclaimed hophead and there will always be those characters who want to take you down a notch. I weakly dragged myself over to the gloating Lil Yella Fella where I slowly dragged myself up off of the mat and to his astonishment, grabbed him by his ankles and began to twirl him around like the blades of a helicopter. This also caught Pinky off-guard, because he unthinkingly waded in to help his Lil buddy, only to get nailed on the chin by Lil Yella Fella's head. Pinky went down like I had hit him with a metal folding chair, which my corner was encouraging me to do, and then I began beating him with the now-unconscious Lil Yella Fella until the ref stepped in and called the fight. I climbed out from between the ropes and called Saucony Creek B.C. and told them to keep their weak stuff at home, where they belong. Once again, woodychandler reigns as Champion of Hops!

Addendum: At 3.69, my rDev is currently 0! That is as rare as sunshine in PA in February.

07-28-2014 23:39:24 | More by woodychandler
JohnK17

07-28-2014 20:22:04 | More by JohnK17
slusk

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense one finger white head, minimal lacing.

S: Floral grapefruit, apricot and a bit of pine. A modest bit of caramel malt with a bit of citrus.

T: Balanced toward the hop end of course with a nice floral grapefruit and apricot flavor. Caramel malt comes in the middle with a surprisingly sweet orange-like flavor, much like an English malt. The bitterness comes in fairly strong in the end and survives through the semi-dry finish. Subdued bread crust in the background.

M: medium light body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Overall this is a nice hoppy IPA. It has a nice bitter kick in the finish but is quite sweet at the same time. There's a nice citrusy orange like malt flavor going on. This might not appeal to lovers of IPA's but I like it. Nice variety. It's like an overly hopped ESB. Not terribly complex but clean and distinct divide between Flavor and aroma hops and malt character.

07-25-2014 22:51:25 | More by slusk

NickBudzyn

06-13-2014 00:12:44 | More by NickBudzyn
beerthulhu

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden honey-orange coloring had a murky, dense nature in the glass. Pale-yellowish milky 1/2 inch head provides a generous amount of lace despite its small size.

S: Perfumy fresh lemon-citrus scent with some sweet sugar coated pink grapefruit. Fresh tangerines, buttered croisant and some honey-wheat malt. Fade of lightly dry flowery citrus.

T: Flavor was sweet malt, lemony citrus hops that was wet with a spicy tropical bite and zesty grapefruit hopping with some orange peel. Hopping turns to a dry floral nature with some grassy pine helping. The level of hoppiness is moderately strong with a bready, toasted sweetness for backing.

M: Good carbonation, spicy hop brightness on the hold and tongue, malty lush depth turns to a frothy creamy nature on the hold.

O: Overall the malting was heavy handed here, spicy, acidic, with multiple tiers of hop flavor and depth with a creamy, frothy texture. Very good try, mid to B+ rating.

06-06-2014 00:33:27 | More by beerthulhu

05-29-2014 01:54:28 | More by Jake29
HopBomb515

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Deep copper and hazy. Thick white head settles to a ring around my snifter. Soapy like lace that stays for days. Good looking beer.

S - Grapefruit parts way for burnt sugar and tropical fruit, boozy in the nose letting you know it packs a punch.

T - Grapefruit tossed in sugar, big sweet malt backbone to this one. Slightly tropical mid palate finishes citric bittersweet. 10%? I was guessing 12%, the alcohol is there! not hidden and that heat is an underlying part of the taste. It's only strike in my opinion, hide that so bit better send this could have been one of the greats.

M - Full body and starts off with carbonation that's just enough and fades to a slightly creamy and coating finish. Very smooth on the mouthfeel and I like it.

O - They have something here. It needs refinement, it's rough around the edges. It's different in a good way it just needs something that brings it together.

05-24-2014 22:53:20 | More by HopBomb515