Hop Suplex - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: DaveHack on 02-16-2014

Hop Suplex is juiced with six different hop varieties in the brew kettle and our slow, heavy weight dry-hop additions added by HopfenKubel. Hop Suplex Ale features Saucony's widest range of hop varieties and our most complex hopping schedule. Hop Suplex weighs in at 10% ABV compliments of a hefty grain bill, but a dose of honey balances the flavor and compliments the floral and strong citrus tones of grapefruit, melon, and gooseberry provided from our favorite selection of hops.
to view more.
Ratings: 190 | Reviews: 27
Reviews by jgran737:
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Murky copper with a very small white head.

S: Citrus, melon, a fair bit of pine and a ton of booze.

T: I'll be honest I was sold on a very small sample of this. At first taste it is amazing. You get a lot of citrus, melon, and booze. If I were to leave it at that, this beer would be a perfect 5, however I noticed as I drank the beer it felt like it got more "bready" and boozy and the citrus and melon escaped me. Starts out strong, finishes weak.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O: I hope they continue to improve on this offering as it has HUGE potential and it was pleasant to see a nice boozy / hoppy ale come out of Saucony Creek Brewing Company. Kutztown represent!

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very nice hop build, appreciate the honey adjunct. Nice mouthfeel, a little hot on the ABV

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden orange color with a small foamy white head that reduces to a smaller layer, a little bit of sediment floating around

S- big emphasis on tropical fruity hops with notes of mango, pineapple, guava and orange. It actually smells like guava nectar, unusual for an IPA, but nice

T- tropical emphasis continues through to the taste, with highlights of guava and mango. Slightly piney hop bitterness, sweet and sugary malt lead to a fruity finish with lingers of more guava on the close

M- medium body and carbonation lead to a foamy mouthfeel and a smooth finish

O- a different take on a DIPA, but if you like tropical fruity hops, this is definitely worth a try. Bonus points for the awesome label, OOOOHHHH YEEEEAAAH!

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange amber with a medium lasting off white head, some lacing. Aroma is sweet citrus and floral notes, some yeast and caramel malt. Taste is sweet caramel malt, citrus orange flavors with some moderate hops bitterness. Palate is a medium body with good carbonation. The finish is sweet caramel malt, yeast, sweet citrus and orange flavor with a floral citrus hops bitterness for balance. Overall a good drinking flavorful DIPA.

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden honey-orange coloring had a murky, dense nature in the glass. Pale-yellowish milky 1/2 inch head provides a generous amount of lace despite its small size.

S: Perfumy fresh lemon-citrus scent with some sweet sugar coated pink grapefruit. Fresh tangerines, buttered croisant and some honey-wheat malt. Fade of lightly dry flowery citrus.

T: Flavor was sweet malt, lemony citrus hops that was wet with a spicy tropical bite and zesty grapefruit hopping with some orange peel. Hopping turns to a dry floral nature with some grassy pine helping. The level of hoppiness is moderately strong with a bready, toasted sweetness for backing.

M: Good carbonation, spicy hop brightness on the hold and tongue, malty lush depth turns to a frothy creamy nature on the hold.

O: Overall the malting was heavy handed here, spicy, acidic, with multiple tiers of hop flavor and depth with a creamy, frothy texture. Very good try, mid to B+ rating.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A - A very active cascading pour yields only a fingers worth of rich, lush, slightly creamy, light khaki colored frothy goodness... Limited at best retention... Once settled there is a mostly full layer of lush lacing and a moderate collar... The color is a deep rich medium gold teetering on bronze... There is a suspended haziness through out that makes this one somewhat opaque which is especially surprising given the style... Largely still with just a few stray carbonation bubbles seen towards the top of the glass...

S - Some citrusy sweetness to start... Mango, pineapple, honey dew melon and orange zest... I'm also picking up a strong peachy presence... There is also a slightly dank hoppy home brew presence... This all sits atop a rock solid malty base... Graham crackers... Caramel... Bread crust... A unique and pleasing aroma...

T - Lots of whole flowered hops... Bubble gum... Mango... Melon... Tastes a lot like freshly hopped wort prior to fermentation... Graham crackers... A hint of toffee... Rather unique with surprising depth and complexity...

M - Medium to full bodied... Little or no carbonation... Even and smooth... Somewhat chewy....

D - There are a lot of characteristics of quality home brew present... Drinks a lot like a really good fully hopped wort prior to fermentation... This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but rather an additional facet that makes this brew unique. Slightly different from many DIPA offerings which makes this one rather refreshing and enjoyable... Saucony Creek sneaked onto the seen in the past year and has surprised with some very quality offerings... I'm curious to see what they turnout next... As a child of 80s wrestling, I absolutely love the label (though I could see some potential lawsuits)...

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Moderately aggressive hand. No identifiable date.

A: Cloudy, golden orange with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Good sized chunks of visible sediment throughout. OK retention. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruit-forward hops, indistinct citrus. White grape. Occasional sour/off/lactic notes, that once noticed, were difficult to look past. Kinda catty. Good enough on the whole, but nothing is particularly standout.

T: Moderately assertive bitterness with a quickly developing, transient malt backbone. Returns to a pleasant bitterness and dry finish. Alcohol was light for 10% ABV, although a bit more pronounced at the bottom of the glass. Faint pine, grapefruit pulp linger in the aftertaste.

M: Low-to-moderate carbonation with moderate-to-fullish body. Pretty nice.

O: Does ok. A little muddled/unrefined, but certainly nothing bad. I drank it down.

Prost!

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy copper with a dense one finger white head, minimal lacing.

S: Floral grapefruit, apricot and a bit of pine. A modest bit of caramel malt with a bit of citrus.

T: Balanced toward the hop end of course with a nice floral grapefruit and apricot flavor. Caramel malt comes in the middle with a surprisingly sweet orange-like flavor, much like an English malt. The bitterness comes in fairly strong in the end and survives through the semi-dry finish. Subdued bread crust in the background.

M: medium light body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Overall this is a nice hoppy IPA. It has a nice bitter kick in the finish but is quite sweet at the same time. There's a nice citrusy orange like malt flavor going on. This might not appeal to lovers of IPA's but I like it. Nice variety. It's like an overly hopped ESB. Not terribly complex but clean and distinct divide between Flavor and aroma hops and malt character.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

edit: Just realized the bottle cover art has a diving elbow drop on it rather than a suplex. Can't these guys even market right?

Never heard from these guys but I was suckered in by the high ABV and gimmicky bottle art. Paid 4 bucks for the single.

A - Well it's not bad but for sure it could use more carbonation since I only got about a 1/4 inch from a hard pour, no lacing, and the beer itself is a deep hazy amber brown with sediment chunks so I assume unfiltered.
S - Wow I almost gagged! Fusel Alcohol and malts overtake any hop smells this beer may have had. Damn I have had so many balanced DIPA's lately (For half the price) that smell better and are more balanced. Do I dare sip?
T - Well it taste better than it smells with some hop bitterness sneaking through but in no way a "Hop Suplex" as advertised. Malts are balanced enough to make for a non ethanol taste which makes it decent enough.
M - Wow can a beer this high in ABV drink so light? I mean not in a good way since the beer itself is lacking any hop bite. Reminds me of "Ol' Red Cease And Desist" from Erie.

Overall my alcoholism is getting to me I had a feeling this would be bad and I never really pay more than 4 bucks for an IPA unless its from a Brewery I trust but somehow that got me with wrestling hops. Marketing for the win.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4 oz. pour on tap at ChurchKey in NW DC poured into their characteristic snifter glass, drank over 15 minutes at the bar

A: 2/3 - ruby orange to red coloration, although it's dark in here the clarity looks high, initial eggshell white head settled into a subtle glass lacing, large alcohol legs

S: 7/12 - some muted PNW hop aroma - grapefruit, tangerine, grassiness/floral character; met up front with honey, caramel malts and alcohol

T: 13/20 - moderate bitterness up front that is appropriate for style; in the middle of the mouth, it's quickly followed by grapefruit, tangerine and piney hop flavors; some spiciness also creeps into the flavor profile; the aftertaste has too much astringency for my liking, which is the major reason why I dinged it

M: 4/5 - thick hop oil slickness, appropriate carbonation, alcohol fullness

O: 6/10 - average-to-slightly above average DIPA fr a brewery that I don't know much about; the hop aroma/flavors were fine but there were some off-fermentation flavors and an astringency that turned me off; I wouldn't return

TOTAL - 32/50

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "From farm to pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

Oh, here we go! I had spent a nice afternoon in the company of my late Pops on the 13th anniversary of his death and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a DIPA surfaced! The hops boys were ready to tag team me, so I donned my way cool knitted hophead hat and headed for the corner. Pinky was the first to come after me, flexing his muscles and acting like Billy Badass with that face paint. I ripped the cap off with my teeth and dug right in. I flew off of that turnbuckle like I had been turned upside down and jammed into a glass. As a matter of fact ... I was not going to play around with these guys. Their friends had spent the afternoon softening me up and now they were coming at me with a 10% tag team! I used a Neshaminy Creek glass since one Creek is just like another, right? Wrong! That really set them off for some reason and once the massive three-plus fingers of tawny head settled, Lil Yella Fella came off the ropes and kicked me square in the jaw. Color was a hazy Deep-amber (SRM = 13) and all of a sudden, things got hazy. I am not a big guy, but I picked up Lil Yella Fella and threw him over my shoulder and onto the mat with a thud. Mouthfeel, like Pinky, was medium, but with a wallop. He got me with a forearm to my chest and then to my jaw, clamping it shut just as the hops really went to work on my tongue. Jeez-O-Man! I was getting from outside and within. No wonder these little hoppy creeps looked and felt so confident. My leathery tongue was up to the task, however, and fought the juicy, citrusy hops until the weaker caramel malts showed themselves and then my tongue showed them all who was boss, sending them packing towards my throat. Once more, I was feeling a burn from inside and out. The hops made a resurgence on the finish just as Pinky chopped me in the Adam's Apple, all of which sank me to my knees. Now, Lil Yella Fella came hurling at me, feet first and caught me in the ribs. I began to gasp. Where had all of this come from? It had been such a nice, quiet, contemplative afternoon until now, and suddenly I was getting my ass kicked by a DIPA double team. It just did not seem fair until I remembered that I am a self-proclaimed hophead and there will always be those characters who want to take you down a notch. I weakly dragged myself over to the gloating Lil Yella Fella where I slowly dragged myself up off of the mat and to his astonishment, grabbed him by his ankles and began to twirl him around like the blades of a helicopter. This also caught Pinky off-guard, because he unthinkingly waded in to help his Lil buddy, only to get nailed on the chin by Lil Yella Fella's head. Pinky went down like I had hit him with a metal folding chair, which my corner was encouraging me to do, and then I began beating him with the now-unconscious Lil Yella Fella until the ref stepped in and called the fight. I climbed out from between the ropes and called Saucony Creek B.C. and told them to keep their weak stuff at home, where they belong. Once again, woodychandler reigns as Champion of Hops!

Addendum: At 3.69, my rDev is currently 0! That is as rare as sunshine in PA in February.

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from Pin's.

Solid coppery-amber color, hazy, with a frothy white head that receded to a wispy layer, leaving dots of lacing on the glass. Aroma was fairly sweet, tropical and stone fruits, citrus, candy sugar, much more malty and sugary than crisp and hoppy. The taste was similar, lots of fruity sweetness, sugar and maltiness overtaking any hoppy crispness that may have been present, though there was a bitterness that came in in the finish and lasted to the aftertaste. Not really a bad beer, but rather it falls under that bundle of DIPAs that don't have a good enough hop character to balance out the malts needed to reach that high ABV. Medium body, chewy mouthfeel. Worth a try, but I probably wouldn't go for it again.

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is a cloudy brownish straw color with a finger of head that dissipated rather quickly, but left a decent amount of lace behind. The nose is distinctly hoppy. This offering certainly delivers on the hops, but it proves to be a one trick pony. It is very unbalanced and not drinkable beyond one or two glasses. Hop bombs are fine by me, but I generally hope for them to be something more complex than death by hops.

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A- Cloudy copper-brown color, off white head, 1f, leaves some lacing.

S- Lots of tropical fruit and sugary tropical candy dominate. Some citrus, lemon and orange.
Just a touch of malt caramel sweets, too.

T- Cooked malt flavors prop those fruity hops. Boozy, but the tropical fruits hang in there.

M- Sweet first, then a long dry finish. Enough carbonation. Hoppy tingle, not bitter.

O- The fruit hops, big malts and dry finish make this sweet beer rise above the high abv. Not bad.

1.27/5  rDev -65.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not good smell and taste. This is supposed to be fresh but taste like an old beer opened left outside...

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

Not sure if a bad bottle or what, smelt bad, tasted terrible and bitter. Wasn't a fan of this at all.

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

Very oily beer, almost feels like drinking grease...lots of hops, obviously, but not very balanced or unique. You get some floral hibiscus but that is quickly subsumed by the overload of hop bitterness, and it isn't a great mix to begin with

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

Another hop forward hop aggressive beer. This will definitely please your palate if you're a hop head. Pours a hazy golden brown color, with a white creamy head. The aroma will knock you over with hops. The taste was very stingy and a bit bitter but hop heads won't mind. Overall a good beer to try. You can pick up the 10% ABV, so consume carefully! This is a heavyweight champion! Side note... May be my favorite bottle! Great artwork on the bottle!

4.37/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: 12oz bottle, pours a hazy amber color into a goblet. Not much by way of lacing, and obviously unfiltered due to the presence of sediment at the bottom - never a bad thing in my mind.

S: Hoppy, lots of pine, muted fruit, and honey. Pleasing and interesting aroma.

T: Plenty of bitterness up front, dank piney grapefruit notes (I suspect Simcoe is the feature of the hop bill), accompanied by some tropical fruit notes in form of pineapple and orange. Honey is muted initially, but becomes more discernible as you go through giving some balance and sweetness. All is well complimented by a decent malt backbone. The alcohol was very well balanced, yet still noticeable in a good way.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Strong, yet balanced, hop presence and bitterness.

O: I was rather impressed with this, and on reflection well worth the purchase having delved into the relatively unknown with this. I will throw it out there and say this brew really does have some features that are reminiscent of those I enjoyed so much in Hopslam, namely the piney/fruity notes, bitterness, and the use of the honey to bring character and balance. While it certainly lacks in some ways the expert execution and complexity of such a wonderful brew as Hopslam, if they were going for something close, they did pretty well in my mind. Good beer and one that keeps you thinking throughout, definitely worth a try.

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours extremely hazy brownish orange with minimal head and little retention

smell off the bat is mostly booze and bubble gum. not picking up much hop aroma on this one. some peach as well

Taste up front follows the nose with the booze and subtle bubble gum. again, not a hop bomb by any means. some bitterness but very little in the way of piney or citrus hops. maybe some floral notes. somewhat sweet, but alcohol is prevalent. not really picking this up as a DIPA. Doesn't fit that category to well. I'd more so call it a barleywine.

low to moderate carbonation. a bit heavy and syrupy

a little disappointed. Was expecting a hop forward big brew but the hops and bitterness don't really make their way thru on this one. Most of what I pick up in both taste and aroma is the alcohol and the bubble gum. has a sweetness that isn't balanced out. Again, I think this fits in more of a barleywine style. I've got 3 more so maybe my opinion will change.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

A nice drinkable hoppy beer. Many flavors hit the tongue, slightly bitter, citrus, honey, and unlike many double IPA's it is not filling. Good job, great beer.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Opaque amber pour with 2 fingers of head, leaving behind lots of sticky lacing. Smells citrusy, sweet caramel, a bit of mint, bready cereal.
Bitter up front, immediately giving way to the sweet bready malt backbone. Hops are pungent, dank, bitter.. Minty.. Fruity.
Medium to full body, medium carbonation.
This beer started out average... As it warmed up, it got very awesome. Complexity lies within the malts but the hops are just as intriguing. Boozy, but very tasty.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Ok, the beer itself was just kind of meh. I wouldn't order it, but I wouldn't not drink it if someone gave it to me. The bottle however is so cool, I didn't even care what the beer tasted like. I'm surprised I'm the first to even comment on the bottle! Ultimate Warrior/ Macho Man? You can't go wrong

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Deep copper and hazy. Thick white head settles to a ring around my snifter. Soapy like lace that stays for days. Good looking beer.

S - Grapefruit parts way for burnt sugar and tropical fruit, boozy in the nose letting you know it packs a punch.

T - Grapefruit tossed in sugar, big sweet malt backbone to this one. Slightly tropical mid palate finishes citric bittersweet. 10%? I was guessing 12%, the alcohol is there! not hidden and that heat is an underlying part of the taste. It's only strike in my opinion, hide that so bit better send this could have been one of the greats.

M - Full body and starts off with carbonation that's just enough and fades to a slightly creamy and coating finish. Very smooth on the mouthfeel and I like it.

O - They have something here. It needs refinement, it's rough around the edges. It's different in a good way it just needs something that brings it together.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Main Street Pub in Bally, PA - poured in a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep amber, semi opaque with a thin white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Pine and evergreens plus some citrus notes. Biscuity malts. Semi sweet aroma.

T/F: Very aggressive and hops forward. Lacking in complexity but still enjoyable. 10% ABV and the associated warmth can mask some deficiencies. Moderate carbonation and a bit chewy.

O: A solid imperial IPA but there are many better ones out there. I enjoyed it though and would have it again. Definitely for the hop heads.

to view more.