Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin AleCaptain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: IPAchris on 08-19-2013

In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rachman and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack’s mistresses Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as “fierce hell cats,” but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words her scathing comments live on throughout history, “Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang’d like a dog.” Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale brewed with pirate rum spices. We added a touch of autumn flavor with roasted butternut squash and natural maple syrup.
Reviews by mscottjohnston:

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into wide-mouth Dupont glass.

Pours with a short, off-white head - very soft looking, that fades to a consistent film. Body is rich orange - with western sunset.

Aromas are full and spiced. The squash comes through, along with lots of cinnamon, and plenty of maple sweetness.

Flavors are dominated by the sweetness, but not in a creme brulee type of level. Mouthfeel is actually pretty tame, given the ABV.... the carbonation is pretty strong, and helps cut through. Picking up maple-covered sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and allspice. Just a touch of sour, gourd quality in the finish, but not distracting. Mouthfeel is nowhere near as cloying as Pumking or similar.

Pretty darn tasty beer, and given the massive variety of pumpkin ales out there, this one has some nice, unique qualities. (806 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Split this bottle with another in a wine glass. I've been anxious to try this beer. I see it locally a lot. It has a thick mouth feel, very sweet cloying cordial like dessert taste. Delicious sipper on a cold night. Very impressive. Kind of a silly looking bottle although I have seen worse. (291 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As I sit here and sip this beautifully crafted Ale, I gather my full opinion of what's going on inside my mouth and brain. Not only is "Maple" in the title of this beer, but "maple" definitely shows itself. There is a hint of something different, which would be the butternut squash, that adds just enough difference to separate this pumpkin beer from the next. Another piece of the recipe would be the pirate rum spices that mix so perfectly with the pumpkin and maple creating a beautiful brew. Well done, I will be waiting for fall next year. (545 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%

3.39/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Taste is cinnamon, clove, toasted malt, with light maple in the background. The maple is not as pronounced as I would have thought it would be. This to me is a slightly above average pumpkin ale. I do have others that I prefer in the style. (243 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

4.42/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this in Kutztown near the brewery and then again at the brewery. My wife loves this brew (her rating would be higher!) and so do many folks around Kutztown. It is an exceptional pumpkin fall type brew and we now have a case in the basement (in bottles).
It is always great to buy local, but if you can find this beer, I recommend it. (340 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Had it on tap recently at a local Richmond, VA pub, and just had it in the bottle last night. On tap it is amazing, in bottle the maple taste and sweetness was more noticeable, but not to where one could call it sweet. There is much more going on in this beer.

I am not a fan of pumpkin ales, but this one blew me away to the point where I actually sought it out and bought it in the bottle. The label states it is made with butternut squash. The beer is well-balanced, with the slight sweetness and taste of maple, and just enough spice notes and pumpkin (squash?) flavor to make it known, but not diminish the flavor of the beer. (636 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Saucony Creek "Maple Mistress"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating (perhaps my sample is quite old)

Impressed, or at least intrigued, by some of Saucony Creeks other beers I went out of my way to find this 'butternut squash and maple syrup' beer.

It poured a cloudy orange body (it's unfiltered) with dulled golden highlights beneath a thick head of tan foam. Standard sized bubbles seemed to rise a little slower than they might normally, signifying a full body.

Raised to my nose I found an interesting aroma that I couldn't quite place, and which I can only assume was coming from the butternut squash; but the maple behind it was quite clear. Sweet and malty to be sure.

In the mouth it was crisp, foaming as it warmed, with a full, dextrinous body.

As I'd expected, it was sweet but it leaned more towards malty than sugary sweet. The maple was present but not like you would find in maple syrup, and there was a touch of semi-descript spiciness to it. Thankfully it wasn't over spiced, and there was just a little bit left behind in the lingering, sweetish finish. Beyond that there was an unusual fruitiness that I couldn't help but think of as grape-like; as you might find in a white ice wine (perhaps that's coming from a combination of fermentation esters and green cardamom and vanilla in the spicing?). There wasn't a whole lot of bitterness to balance it, and I certainly hope that was intended because it's almost impossible to balance out a beer of this size with so much residual malt and sugar - it would just become a sweet, dull-hoppped, muddy swamp of a disaster. No, I think the brewers know what they're doing and they've pegged it. This isn't meant to be a pumpkin beer that you drink by the bottle, this is far more than that; you might not want to call it a dessert beer, but it's certainly one that you sip on! And at 9.5% abv (or 9.8 according to their website) that makes sense.

So, working under the impression that what I have in front of me is anything like what it's meant to be like fresh, I think that this is a really interesting beer. For the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, and then going forward into the colder months, I occasionally enjoy a spiced beer with my meal, followed by a Barleywine after dinner as I relax - and this beer combines both of those into one! Well worth trying! (2,355 characters)

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Saucony Creek Brewing Company