Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin AleCaptain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rachman and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack’s mistresses Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as “fierce hell cats,” but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words her scathing comments live on throughout history, “Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang’d like a dog.” Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale brewed with pirate rum spices. We added a touch of autumn flavor with roasted butternut squash and natural maple syrup.

(Beer added by: IPAchris on 08-19-2013)
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

mendvicdog, Jun 22, 2014

InspectorBob, Jan 15, 2014
3.96/5  rDev 0%

My attempt to score and review as many pumpkin beers has landed me at the feet of this saucy serving wench!

From the bottle: "crafted with butternut squash, maple syrup & spices added"; "In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rackham and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack's mistresses, Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as 'fierce hellcats,' but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words, her scathing comments live on throughout history: 'Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog.'"; "From farm to pint, our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"; "Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Brewed with pirate rum spices, we added a touch of fall flavor with butternut squash and natural maple syrup."

Brew Dogs would have me say, "Hello!" to the beer as I bring it up to my nose for a sniff, but that is for landlubbers! Ahoy, me lovely, I said as I watched the dense, creamy two fingers of tawny head slowly fall into the surf. Color was a hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22). I am not a fan of filtration, so cloudy and hazy are okay by me in most beers. Nose had the usual suspects - cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, but not in overwhelming quantities. We may get along, lasses. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The flavor was semi-sweet with the maple syrup getting a fair shake, but not overtaking the spices, which was my fear before opening it. The potential for cloying sweetness existed, but the brewer held fast. Properly moored alongside in Siamese-fashion, I settled in as the wench proffered pancakes with butter and syrup and a hit off of her bottle of rum. Yo, ho ho! Warming, I began to sense a bit of alcohol heat, reminding me to be aware of its ABV. It finished with a warm semi-sweetness, very evocative of pumpkin pie. I kissed the mistress, requested permission to go ashore and headed off on my next (mis)adventure.

woodychandler, Nov 25, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appears a murky dark copper toned amber with a mild cap that quickly fades out into a gentle collar. Tiny speckles of lacing droop back down the glass.
Smell is of maple syrup, brown sugar, roasted squash, and cinnamon.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a sweet, spiced rum, and maple flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, chewy, and darn sweet in the finish.
I'm at odds. I kind of like the blend and flavor but it finishes on the cloyingly sweet side with a syrupy smack that leaves you with a sugar high halfway through. I'd hate to say it but I'd like it a bit drier. A 12 ounce bottle is too much for one person to handle. Split it with a friend when it gets folder out in the Fall and maybe the warming sweetness will fair better.

weeare138, Aug 28, 2013

yourefragile, Oct 26, 2013

mdaschaf, Jan 30, 2014

ShanePB, Oct 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

atrocity, Apr 29, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This 9.5% Abv beer was made with an assist from Simmeria & The Fleetwood Grille kitchen. We roasted the butternut squash for Saucony. Sauconys brew crew then did what they do best and finished it with maple syrup and pirate rum spices.

I am not a huge fan of Pumpkin styles but I really enjoyed this new bottle from Saucony Creek. The bartender at the Fleetwood Grille also rimmed our glasses with a cinnamon brown sugar mix which enhanced the experience. You could definitely taste the butternut squash and the maple finish.

IPAchris, Aug 19, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +4.5%

Disclaimer: I prefer my pumpkin beers to be akin to the old "liquid pumpkin pie" phrase because I have a sweet tooth.
And, quite frankly, if I'm going to drink a pumpkin beer I want pumpkin to dominate, not just be a background spice - I can have non-pumpkin beers the other 11 months of the year.
Poured a reddish copper body with one finger head that went away quick.
Smells like the sweet part of pumpkin pie - pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, all around sugary sweetness - not much spicy edge or breadiness (crust) to this beer at all.
Medium body, very sweet and that's how I like it, not overtly sweet to where it's sickening, pretty simple, actually.
Goes down smooth although at times sticky (I guess that's the maple syrup) and the profile is like the aroma, pumpkin and sugary sweetness.
Must say did not realize how high the ABV was on this until got on this website b/c I didn't get any booze at all in the finish.

clayrock81, Sep 07, 2014

williamjbauer, Sep 04, 2014

IdrinkGas, Oct 03, 2013

BeerForMuscle, Jan 01, 2014

millerbuffoon, Jan 05, 2014
Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Saucony Creek Brewing Company