Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin AleCaptain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: IPAchris on 08-19-2013

In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rachman and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack’s mistresses Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as “fierce hell cats,” but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words her scathing comments live on throughout history, “Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang’d like a dog.” Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale brewed with pirate rum spices. We added a touch of autumn flavor with roasted butternut squash and natural maple syrup.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Saucony Creek "Maple Mistress"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating (perhaps my sample is quite old)

Impressed, or at least intrigued, by some of Saucony Creeks other beers I went out of my way to find this 'butternut squash and maple syrup' beer.

It poured a cloudy orange body (it's unfiltered) with dulled golden highlights beneath a thick head of tan foam. Standard sized bubbles seemed to rise a little slower than they might normally, signifying a full body.

Raised to my nose I found an interesting aroma that I couldn't quite place, and which I can only assume was coming from the butternut squash; but the maple behind it was quite clear. Sweet and malty to be sure.

In the mouth it was crisp, foaming as it warmed, with a full, dextrinous body.

As I'd expected, it was sweet but it leaned more towards malty than sugary sweet. The maple was present but not like you would find in maple syrup, and there was a touch of semi-descript spiciness to it. Thankfully it wasn't over spiced, and there was just a little bit left behind in the lingering, sweetish finish. Beyond that there was an unusual fruitiness that I couldn't help but think of as grape-like; as you might find in a white ice wine (perhaps that's coming from a combination of fermentation esters and green cardamom and vanilla in the spicing?). There wasn't a whole lot of bitterness to balance it, and I certainly hope that was intended because it's almost impossible to balance out a beer of this size with so much residual malt and sugar - it would just become a sweet, dull-hoppped, muddy swamp of a disaster. No, I think the brewers know what they're doing and they've pegged it. This isn't meant to be a pumpkin beer that you drink by the bottle, this is far more than that; you might not want to call it a dessert beer, but it's certainly one that you sip on! And at 9.5% abv (or 9.8 according to their website) that makes sense.

So, working under the impression that what I have in front of me is anything like what it's meant to be like fresh, I think that this is a really interesting beer. For the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, and then going forward into the colder months, I occasionally enjoy a spiced beer with my meal, followed by a Barleywine after dinner as I relax - and this beer combines both of those into one! Well worth trying!

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.04/5  rDev +2%

I enjoyed this bottle chilled in a pint, review from notes.

The color is honey-like amber with two finger white cream with fine bead and thick lace stickage. The smell has lots of spice with mix of nutty sweet and mild malt ester with a slight cinnamon-like woodiness with subtle aroma of vanilla and gentle fruity yeast ester. The feel is decent with malty entry and moderate carbonation with mildly creamy yeast yet alcohol is noticeable mid palate into the finish.

The taste is good with light spice up front with more of a fruity yeast flavor and subtle maple type fruity earthiness with sweet element and light spice mid palate. The taste carries a subtle vanilla-like earthiness which also comes off sweet with mild floral aspect. The maple taste comes through as a sweet woody taste with alcohol adding a dry quality to the finish without tasting hot. This is a very good beer, nicely flavored with pleasant spice profile and moderate sweetness that works well with moderately high level of alcohol for the sake of complexity yet still drinkable for the strength

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

3.96/5  rDev 0%

My attempt to score and review as many pumpkin beers has landed me at the feet of this saucy serving wench!

From the bottle: "crafted with butternut squash, maple syrup & spices added"; "In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rackham and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack's mistresses, Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as 'fierce hellcats,' but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words, her scathing comments live on throughout history: 'Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog.'"; "From farm to pint, our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"; "Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Brewed with pirate rum spices, we added a touch of fall flavor with butternut squash and natural maple syrup."

Brew Dogs would have me say, "Hello!" to the beer as I bring it up to my nose for a sniff, but that is for landlubbers! Ahoy, me lovely, I said as I watched the dense, creamy two fingers of tawny head slowly fall into the surf. Color was a hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22). I am not a fan of filtration, so cloudy and hazy are okay by me in most beers. Nose had the usual suspects - cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, but not in overwhelming quantities. We may get along, lasses. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The flavor was semi-sweet with the maple syrup getting a fair shake, but not overtaking the spices, which was my fear before opening it. The potential for cloying sweetness existed, but the brewer held fast. Properly moored alongside in Siamese-fashion, I settled in as the wench proffered pancakes with butter and syrup and a hit off of her bottle of rum. Yo, ho ho! Warming, I began to sense a bit of alcohol heat, reminding me to be aware of its ABV. It finished with a warm semi-sweetness, very evocative of pumpkin pie. I kissed the mistress, requested permission to go ashore and headed off on my next (mis)adventure.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appears a murky dark copper toned amber with a mild cap that quickly fades out into a gentle collar. Tiny speckles of lacing droop back down the glass.
Smell is of maple syrup, brown sugar, roasted squash, and cinnamon.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a sweet, spiced rum, and maple flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, chewy, and darn sweet in the finish.
I'm at odds. I kind of like the blend and flavor but it finishes on the cloyingly sweet side with a syrupy smack that leaves you with a sugar high halfway through. I'd hate to say it but I'd like it a bit drier. A 12 ounce bottle is too much for one person to handle. Split it with a friend when it gets folder out in the Fall and maybe the warming sweetness will fair better.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.54/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This 9.5% Abv beer was made with an assist from Simmeria & The Fleetwood Grille kitchen. We roasted the butternut squash for Saucony. Sauconys brew crew then did what they do best and finished it with maple syrup and pirate rum spices.

I am not a huge fan of Pumpkin styles but I really enjoyed this new bottle from Saucony Creek. The bartender at the Fleetwood Grille also rimmed our glasses with a cinnamon brown sugar mix which enhanced the experience. You could definitely taste the butternut squash and the maple finish.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty orange/copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is like pumpkin pie. Taste is unique an d quite good. Maple and pumpkin dominate, with alcohol not far behind. A good bit of spice, and a tasty treat of a beer. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is worth seeking out.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Saucony Creek Brewing Company