Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin AleCaptain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: IPAchris on 08-19-2013

In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rachman and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack’s mistresses Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as “fierce hell cats,” but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words her scathing comments live on throughout history, “Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang’d like a dog.” Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale brewed with pirate rum spices. We added a touch of autumn flavor with roasted butternut squash and natural maple syrup.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.02/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- A slightly hazy amber with a lot of floaty and a two finger off-white head.

S- Yams, maple syrup, pumpkin, some spices (cinnamon and nutmeg). Makes me think of pumpkin pancakes with maple syrup.

T- Cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, yams, pumpkin, earthy finish.

M- Smooth, medium body, too much carbonation.

O- Spices and maple syrup are the main flavors, pretty done. Glad I pick this up, will pick up up again next year when it is fresh.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a bright and copper clear color with a small creamy white head that retains after the pour, leaving some short-lasting lace behind

S- vegetal aromas of yam, squash and pumpkin. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, sweet maple syrup, buttery pie crust malt. Aroma reminds me of The Bruery Autumn Maple

T- Cinnamon flavor is the first thing to jump out, like cinnamon toast. A maple sweetness kicks in mid-palate with vegetal squash flavors. Pie-crust-like malt on the finish with more maple on the linger

M- medium body and carbonation lead to a chewy mouthfeel and a foamy finish. Light alcohol warmth, but pretty well hidden given the ABV.

O- An interesting take that plays well with the maple and spices. The pie crus flavor of the malt was an inspired touch as well

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

A: hazy amber, translucent; beige head dissipating to surface film; jags of lacing
S: fresh pumpkin pie, slightly buttery sweet
T: clear nutmeg, bubble gum, alcohol, a hint of maple
M: full-bodied, cream, on the cloying side
O: Much better initial taste than aftertaste, but unfortunately that's what you're stuck with. Weird spiced bubblegum,

20 oz / Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

3.54/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brownish-copper color with a finger of off-white head. The head retains for quite some time and leaves some lacing on the glass. The most pronounced note in the nose is pumpkin. The flavor profile has maple and brown sugar upfront. The taste of the pumpkin is completely overwhelmed by the maple and brown sugar. The finish is semi-dry with an alcohol bite that sneaks up as the beer warms and becomes unpleasant by the end of the glass.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

Split this bottle with another in a wine glass. I've been anxious to try this beer. I see it locally a lot. It has a thick mouth feel, very sweet cloying cordial like dessert taste. Delicious sipper on a cold night. Very impressive. Kind of a silly looking bottle although I have seen worse.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into wide-mouth Dupont glass.

Pours with a short, off-white head - very soft looking, that fades to a consistent film. Body is rich orange - with western sunset.

Aromas are full and spiced. The squash comes through, along with lots of cinnamon, and plenty of maple sweetness.

Flavors are dominated by the sweetness, but not in a creme brulee type of level. Mouthfeel is actually pretty tame, given the ABV.... the carbonation is pretty strong, and helps cut through. Picking up maple-covered sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and allspice. Just a touch of sour, gourd quality in the finish, but not distracting. Mouthfeel is nowhere near as cloying as Pumking or similar.

Pretty darn tasty beer, and given the massive variety of pumpkin ales out there, this one has some nice, unique qualities.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

My attempt to score and review as many pumpkin beers has landed me at the feet of this saucy serving wench!

From the bottle: "crafted with butternut squash, maple syrup & spices added"; "In the autumn of 1720, Captain Jack Rackham and his pirate-mates were celebrating their victories in typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop surprised them. The drunken pirates hid below deck, leaving Captain Jack's mistresses, Anne Bonney and Mary Read to defend the ship. The women shared a reputation as 'fierce hellcats,' but the British Navy eventually overtook the pirate ship. Captain Jack and the pirates were sentenced to hang. Anne visited her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of loving words, her scathing comments live on throughout history: 'Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog.'"; "From farm to pint, our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"; "Their legacy inspired us to brew an equally ferocious Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Brewed with pirate rum spices, we added a touch of fall flavor with butternut squash and natural maple syrup."

Brew Dogs would have me say, "Hello!" to the beer as I bring it up to my nose for a sniff, but that is for landlubbers! Ahoy, me lovely, I said as I watched the dense, creamy two fingers of tawny head slowly fall into the surf. Color was a hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22). I am not a fan of filtration, so cloudy and hazy are okay by me in most beers. Nose had the usual suspects - cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, but not in overwhelming quantities. We may get along, lasses. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The flavor was semi-sweet with the maple syrup getting a fair shake, but not overtaking the spices, which was my fear before opening it. The potential for cloying sweetness existed, but the brewer held fast. Properly moored alongside in Siamese-fashion, I settled in as the wench proffered pancakes with butter and syrup and a hit off of her bottle of rum. Yo, ho ho! Warming, I began to sense a bit of alcohol heat, reminding me to be aware of its ABV. It finished with a warm semi-sweetness, very evocative of pumpkin pie. I kissed the mistress, requested permission to go ashore and headed off on my next (mis)adventure.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Purchased at a beer shop near Tired Hands in PA - cant remember the name of it - pretty cool place though.
Pours an amber caramel color with a finger of foamy head. Actually really nice head on this considering the abv. Huge sugary sweet aromas - maple, caramel, cinnamon, and toffee. taste is really nice. all the same flavors as the aroma with a hint of vanilla or bourbon maybe. Its just a tad too sweet. Its so easy to drink being nearly 10%abv which is dangerous - I find myself drinking this fast. Overall, nice pumpkin brew and worth a visit.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A fellow beer advocate user is spot on suggesting the flavor profile is like a sweet potato casserole with the spices and sweetness of such a recipe. There is a roasted squash flavor that is up front and lovely.

The price of this beer as it is very reasonable (I paid 44.94$/case) combine with the quality and flavor profile is what drew me away from like beers within a 10$ price range.

This brew ages very well. I suggest 2 plus months as It has been in PA markets for roughly that amount of time and I have been aging a few since they first released. The sweetness tapers off and the very subtle alcohol pretty much disappears. The spices tame. Everything mellows and rounds the beer out.

It is pretty cool to see this beer at almost every bar I have visited, and that Saucony Creek is getting love from the local markets. Congrats Matt, Mike and the crew

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Pours a medium hazy amber with some sediment and a short white head that fades to a fluffy lace.

S: So much going on - cinnamon, pumpkin, cooked sweet potato, maple and even some apple. Smells a bit like warm pie on thanksgiving.

T: Less pumpkin than the nose with some cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice up front. I do get some pumpkin and a subtle apple tartness. Well rounded overall.

M: Medium bodied and smooth with mild carbonation and a crisp, spicy finish. No apparent alcohol but definitely a sipper.

O: I'm very surprised but this is fantastic, and one of the better pumpkin ales I've had in some time. Absolutely worth a try for the fall season.

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As I sit here and sip this beautifully crafted Ale, I gather my full opinion of what's going on inside my mouth and brain. Not only is "Maple" in the title of this beer, but "maple" definitely shows itself. There is a hint of something different, which would be the butternut squash, that adds just enough difference to separate this pumpkin beer from the next. Another piece of the recipe would be the pirate rum spices that mix so perfectly with the pumpkin and maple creating a beautiful brew. Well done, I will be waiting for fall next year.

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a cloudy brown/amber, lots of sediment floating in this one. massive 3 finger head, little lacing.
S - Lots of maple, definitely some booze, mild pumpkin, roasted squash, some kind of spiced rum quality.
T - Taste is very sweet, and its definitely boozey, there's a bountiful amount of maple flavor, which I think if you're going for maple, go all out. Definitely more of a roasted pumpkin and squash type flavor in that area, some mixed spices, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, pepper, and a touch of that spiced rum, complex, but unbalanced.
M - Sticky sweet, alcohol burn.
O - Its ok, something I'm glad I've tried, the maple is done right, its just too much, and the complexity is there too, but needs evened out.

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to mr Dave Hackman for hooking me up with this one!

The look is great, a very dark brown to crimson look with a great reddish gold edge. Decent white head and just a whisp of lacing.

The smell is nice, a warm mix of rum, maple, sweet cinnamon pumpkin pie, honey malt, overall nice subtle but solid aroma. The taste goes a little further with some great added pumpkin and squash notes with some more subtle warm nutmeg spice. It has again a nice rum like alcohol flavor without any of the edge of booze, it almost seems like a really balanced slightly sweet cocktail with pumpkin spice notes. Creamy nice feel, decent carbonation etc. maybe a touch thin though to my palate.

Overall very nice! It doesn't seem too sweet to me as other reviews suggest, totally solid and deceptively drinkable at 9.5%.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy amber-brown with some floaters. A fine white head that dissipates in relative haste.

It smells of rich brown sugar with a hint of the promised butternut squash and a bit of maple and spice. Real maple, not 'breakfast syrup', so it's restrained as to not be too intense.

Tastes like rich maple, butternut squash, and some pie-spice/pumpkin. Funny that they get the 'pumpkin
vibe with a different gourd, but whatever works. Definitely on the sweet side, but spicy enough not to be syrupy. This flavor portends its higher ABV, but makes it dangerously drinkable.

Thick (and there's some serious sediment, so not for the faint of heart) feeling and rich, appropriate for this style as far as I'm concerned. You'll want a glass of water though, as it lingers a bit and can be overwhelming especially if you are thirsty or dehydrated to begin with, as I am.

I bought this on a whim for novelty value because it wasn't too expensive. I found it so good that it's one of the few pumpkin beers I liked so much, I'd buy again (not that I dislike pumpkin beers, but I've had so many that they hardly ever stand out).

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Copper colored, with just a hint of haze. I got a bigger head than I expected (although my pour was only medium-aggressive), although it didn't linger long, and the lacing was only so-so.

S: True to the name, maple syrup is the first aroma on the nose. Vanilla and spice also come through. Only a faint, Bready note tells me this is beer.

T: a lot of sweetness here, whether from malted grain or the maple I'm not sure. There is certainly some vegetable pumpkin flavor, but it is in the background. Spices (allspice, cinnamon) play a big role. Tangy hops are barely noticeable.

M: More moist than crisp initially. Carbonation is so-so. Booze is what I'd expect for the ABV. A hint of dry in the finish.

O: Very tasty, although the pumpkin isn't very strong, certainly not next to other "pumpkin" ales. If you set aside that expectation, you won't be disappointed.

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

I just bought a 4 pack at Wegmans. I normally buy a small amount before investing in a case.
I bought a case of Smutteynose pumpkin ale on a recommendation last year. What a mistake.
That stuff tastes like potpourri. One person in 10 liked it (not me). Gave the remainder to him. Maple Mistress came highly recommended too, but not my favorite. I love pumpkin ales and have tried many. This stuff tastes like maple ale. Not bad, but not good either. Any pumpkin Flavor is not apparent to my taste buds. It is very strong though. if you like maple
and want to get drunk quick, then this is your beer.

If you are a fan of pumpkin ales, my favorite is Weyerbacher Imperial~ almost as strong too with a scotch aftertaste. Next step down is Long Post. In the lighter pumpkin ales I like Pumpkin (Uinta), Long Trail, Saranac, & Buffalo Bill. Woodchuck Pumpkin is interesting if
you like hard cider and a mild pumpkin flavor ~ subtle and smooth.

Other pumpkin ales that I do not like include Samuel Adams and Blue Moon.

Other pumpkin ales I have tried and liked (but did not purchase in quantity) include UFO, Tommyknocker, Ichabod, and Southampton.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer has a brownish color body with a small white head. The aroma is sweet of malple syrup. The taste has a subtle pumpkin flavor that is balanced with the maple syrup. I also taste a little spice. The mouthfeel is nice just a little thick and leaves a light after taste on the tongue.

3.57/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: cloudy dirty light brown
S: lovely sweet aroma of maple and pumpkin spices
T: sweet. Maple. There is some nice pumpkin spice flavor, but it is unfortunately dominated too much by the maple
M: little spiciness, sweet coating that lingers a bit
O: too sweet on the maple, I think if it were more subdued, it could be a really good beer. That said, it was more enjoyable than I anticipated.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wanted to like this more as it a local beer by a small new brewery, met the one of the principles at the distributor when I was picking up the case.
It looks beautiful, like a dunkel weizen, light brown, tan head and very cloudy.
Smells like maple syrup and alcohol.
Tastes more like a mixed drink than a beer, gets sweeter and more cinnamon comes out as it gets warmer.
Not bad overall, a couple bottles every fall would be a good thing.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I worked hard to track down a case after hearing lots of good things about this one... Plus, who doesn't loved a blue-haired pirate vixen holding a stack of pancakes...

A - A full finger's plus worth of audibly fizzy, crisp and uniform light to medium khaki colored head... Modest at best retention yields to reveal a swirled splotchy veil of lace and light collar... The color is equal parts muted dark amber and light copper... A few moderate paced carbonation streaks can be seen along the edges of the glass... There is a very subtle haziness to this one... This one looks the part...

S - The big assertive aroma can be detected without even bring one's nose near the glass... Lots of rich complexity... Rum-esque spiciness... Maple syrup... Caramel... The pumpkin notes are present as well, but aren't quite at the forefront... Some graham cracker crust as well... Nothing really dominates and all scents take a turn at the front of the pack... Nice depth and complexity... There is also a very subtle booziness which lingers a bit beneath the surface...

T - The first notes are a mix of maple syrup and caramel... These are quickly joined by the rum spice notes which add a very unique character... The pumpkin / butter nut squash takes a distant back seat on the palate but still provides additional depth and complexity... The maple syrup rises on the finish to provide a rich sweetness which stops short of becoming cloying... The booziness then begins to emerge again in a slightly warming fashion...

M - Dense and rich... On the lighter side of full bodied... Velvety smoothness... Ultra sleek... A light carbonation packs a pretty good punch... Thick and slightly chewy... Each sip prove to be slightly exquisite and satisfying...

D - A fabulous Pumpkin Beer that doesn't pull any punches and doesn't even attempt to hide it's potent 9.5% ABV punch... A delectable sipper to say the least... What a terrific offering the little known Saucony Creek Brewery... I will be sure to check out their other offering when provided the opportunity... If push came to shove in a blind taste test, I'm not sure I would peg this as a Pumpkin Ale, but rather an autumnal seasonal offering with some barleywine and old ale characteristics... Complex, assertive, and quite enjoyable...

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a long stemmed wine glass. Some kind of date code on the bottom of the bottle.
Great looking label art with a cool back story. Poured into the glass with little to no head. Burnt orange body with some floaties.

Aromas of pumpkin pie, maple syrup and cinnamon.

Initial tastes remindsme of sweet potato pie with marshmallows on top. Spicy up front, with squash/pumpkin, cinnamon and rum. Alcohol bite towards the end. Flavors start to intensify as it warms up, sweetness really starts to come through and the alcohol starts to come to the front.

Mouthfeel of light carbonation and a viscousness almost like a thin syrup.

Overall a really enjoyable fall offering from a local brewery! There was much more going on in this brew than I was expecting: rum-like flavors, not an overpowering sweetness or pumpkin flavors. Spices were well integrated and added a nice layer of flavors. If you can get this: DO IT!

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Sweeter than expected, yet had a heavier alcoholey taste to it that showed every bit of its 9%+ ABV. Definitely an autumn beer that hits you in the middles (of the tongue, as opposed to the tip of the tongue or the back) and lingers there for quite awhile. Highly recommended for any pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, or toffee aficionados. my only regret is that I drank it all before thinking to write a review.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this in Kutztown near the brewery and then again at the brewery. My wife loves this brew (her rating would be higher!) and so do many folks around Kutztown. It is an exceptional pumpkin fall type brew and we now have a case in the basement (in bottles).
It is always great to buy local, but if you can find this beer, I recommend it.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a tulip shaped glass with a considerable depth of color. Dark garnet red nearing brown and purple. Similar to a Belgian double or quad. Possibly some Special B in this one. More on that later. Develops an off white head tightly packed with foamy soft bubbles. Head quickly subsides and lacing is non existent. 9.5% showing it self.

Smells of fall foods. Pumpkin or squash is apparent. Hints of dark sugars and sweetness like a very dark pumpkin pie. Something resembling pumpkin spices but not as pungent. Maybe a reduction in clove? Hints of booze.

Following through with the nose the flavor is big on squash. Pumpkin and butternut are apparent as well as the pumpkin spices. The middle goes sweet with lots of lush dark sugars. Hints of dark caramels, maybe some dark fruit. Several layers of caramel malt at play. Possibly some special B as the finish is very sweet with notes of warm alcohol and pumpkin pie spice along with a touch of ginger.

Feels viscous in the mouth. Very heavy. Sticky as well. Leaves a great coating in the palette which could throw some people off especially those not accustomed to big beers. Certainly not a session beer.

Overall I like this stuff a good bit. It's not a favorite but I'm a solid IPA guy. That being the case a few non IPA's have made my hits list and this one comes close to cutting the mustard but it's just a tad too sweet in the end for me. Along with a Nicaraguan cigar or some type of seasonal food this would do very well. Pumpkin or apple pie is very obvious. German sausages could be nice as well or something with anise as a base. Maybe traditional german pork and kraut like on new years.

4.86/5  rDev +24.9%

After trying other beers Saucony Creek had out a few months ago, I saw their Maple Mistress in stores and was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely one of the best pumpkin ales I have ever tasted.
I highly recommend people trying the other beers this brewery has to offer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Saucony Creek Brewing Company