Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. The head was large, off-white, semi-rocky, and had some, but not a lot of staying power. Some loose lacing. Nothing to write home about.

Smell- Somewhat tart. Fair amount of malt. Somewhat lemony.

Taste- Interesting. A nice tartness, mixed with some malt sweetness up front; light and a little malty. Some grassy, floral hops mixed in there, but not much. Has a light, woody after-taste.

Mouthfeel- Light body. Decent level of carbonation.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, very sessionable.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Hazy straw yellow pour out of the 500ml bottle with a couple fingers of fluffy white head. Has some sweet banana yeast on the nose, but then the smell of a musty barn enters. Faint hops in the aroma and taste. A bit of lemon-like tartness mixed in with a touch of sweetness. This beer just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real familiar with this style, so I may have to come back to this at a later date.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin, white head. Smell is grainy and wheaty. Taste is also wheaty, very tart, with a large citrus flavor as well. Very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly prickly carbonation. Pretty drinkable though, I would drink this again. I think this is the first Altbier I've had, its OK, but I suspect there may be better examples out there.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: pours a hazy pale yellow color with a 2" head. The head quickly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: grassy - no more like a freshly mowed lawn after a spring rain.

Taste: biscuity and grainy, with loads of grass tones and lemon / grapefruit citrus. Very dry.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The dryness is most noticeable by the tongue. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not the altbier I expected. Average drinkability as this is too grassy and dry. This is an example that organic may not always be the better choice.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Though it is a good beer, I don't think that it fits the style. I expected a deep copper - amber color. Instead, I got a hazy golden - copper hue. Has good head retention and lacing. Aromas are beady and citrusy. Thought I expect mild fruit aromas, I don't expect the tart citrus notes. Flavors are the same. the lemon-ey character over-rides the medium malt profile. The hops add a spiciness the the beer that is not expected. Though I like hop bittering in an Alt, I don't go for the spices here. The yeasty flavors take on a Belgian 'twang' , leaving the beer less clean than in most alts. The body is medim and a tad bit astringent. Finishes far too dry for an Alt, but crisp and fairly clean. Again, good beer, but not an Alt.

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates to a very thin cap. This doesn't look like what I think an alt should look like.

S - Smells of earthy malts, with a crisp, very slight hop backing. This smells very "German," if that makes sense... probably from either noble or hallertau hops? Also, a faint pear/cider like aroma pulls through, maybe a result of a cross atlantic trip?

T - Bready malt is very assertive up front, and this is good. A sweet, fruity hop character comes through towards the very dry finish. Still getting a sour, pear-like characteristic.

M&D - Extremely carbonated, and not the smooth, creamy, yet light mouthfeel I love about alts. Pretty weird. However, I could see myself drinking this in the summertime, but over a good hefe or german or czech pils or lager...?

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis..

2.97/5  rDev -18%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden.

2.97/5  rDev -18%

Errr...I'm not entirely sure what I'm drinking here. The front and neck label simply say "Original Pinkus" but the back label says "Pinkus Alt." It looks and tastes like a pilsner. It has the body and mouthfeel of a pilsner. The smell is a bit more maltier than a pilsner, but all in all this really reminds of Czechvar.

I don't know...maybe this isn't the Alt, maybe I got a mislabelled bottle, but this really seems like a pilsner.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

altbier my foot!?! ... very pale gold... some foam but low .. some nice flavours, honey lychee- kinda of intriguing ... again, if this is an altbier, i'd be very surprised- i am not an altbier expert but it seems like a light version .. a decent enjoyable beer but nothing like i expected..

Pour from 17 oz bottle

A-Little head on top of golden beer. Carbonation very apparent bubbling up side of glass
S-Sweeter malts, wheat
T-Bready Pilsner without as much hop bite. Kind of a strange sweet taste to me. Hard to describe-Some interesting flavors but not when put in combo together
M-Decent mouth, not too much carbonation
D-Just didn't enjoy it enough to order more than one, but wouldn't turn down one offered.

Overall, probably just not a style for me, but i'm glad I sampled it.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Ahhh! The last surviving member of the Muenster Alts -- a style nearly killed by the Lager revolution, as well as the Pasteur revolution.

If this is what the style was, then I say good-riddance. It suffers from being 'not enough' in oh so many ways.

It pours a pleasant straw yellow, tainted by a pinch of chill-haze with a bubbly head that quickly collapses.

It smells very faint. This will be the beer's trademark. Faint and not enough.

The taste follows the smell. It is incredibly watery with a strong blast of nutty light munich mingling with a hint of wheat. This would be good if it weren't so dilute -- it is like a Helles mixed with seltzer water. Then there is a nice sour bite, but once again, far too muted to really make an impression, followed by a rather unpleasant soapy taste. If either the malt mix were toned up, or the sourness increased, I think this could be a very good beer. But they aren't, so I'm left with glorified dishwater.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned, is very watery and razor thin. If there were more carbonation, this could be rescued. But there isn't.

Drinkability: Why wouldn't I grab a Helles or a Berliner Weiss instead of this beer? This beer has aspects of both (and they are both styles I love) but it manages to do them very poorly.

Like the Gose, I think this is a style of beer best left to the history books.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Incredibly cloudy golden colour, with a rocky head of pure white, extremely fine carbonation. Bubbles are obscenely fine, almost like powder as it forms. Body is light and fine. Looks decent.

Nose is bright, but slightly yeasty, with honeyed organic characters, giving a fresh but sweetly underfermented oomph the the aroma. Smells either slightly too sweet or slightly too strong. Either makes me feel uncomfortable.

Taste is crisper and lighter, and it drags it back to the realms of sensibility. There's still certainly a big robust sweetness that gives it an unpleasant malt character, but there's at least a crispness to it that lends it sharp maltiness. Still, there's very little balance, and it's too sweet, but it's at least better than I expected.

Too sweet. To be honest I'm far from a fan, and I don't believe it's a particularly good alt. It's smooth and somewhat drinkable, but depressing in it's expressibility.

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured a murky brownish tan, with a few rather scary sediment chunks drifting about. Not nearly enough heft to the malt, the beer leaned in the direction of a thin astrigency. I kept waiting for the flavor in this beer to get up and do something, but it seemed content to languish in mediocrity. No punch of any kind from the hops, and the malt just had no horsepower.

2.82/5  rDev -22.1%

presented in a pinkus pilsner glass. not surprisingly, looks like a pilsner and has good retention. it's aroma is slightly malty, but not overpowering.

the taste is quite malty and it feels bubbly, almost foamy, in your mouth. i tasted a trace of grape and just a little bitterness in the finish. don't get me wrong, though: this beer is all about the malt.

is this classified as an alt simply because of the brewing and conditioning methods? if you are looking for the typical düsseldorf style, look elsewhere. the beer is interesting enough for a taste, but it wasn't enjoyable enough for me to keep drinking. an interesting brew, nonetheless.

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller