Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
2.82/5  rDev -21.9%

presented in a pinkus pilsner glass. not surprisingly, looks like a pilsner and has good retention. it's aroma is slightly malty, but not overpowering.

the taste is quite malty and it feels bubbly, almost foamy, in your mouth. i tasted a trace of grape and just a little bitterness in the finish. don't get me wrong, though: this beer is all about the malt.

is this classified as an alt simply because of the brewing and conditioning methods? if you are looking for the typical düsseldorf style, look elsewhere. the beer is interesting enough for a taste, but it wasn't enjoyable enough for me to keep drinking. an interesting brew, nonetheless. (652 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a murky brownish tan, with a few rather scary sediment chunks drifting about. Not nearly enough heft to the malt, the beer leaned in the direction of a thin astrigency. I kept waiting for the flavor in this beer to get up and do something, but it seemed content to languish in mediocrity. No punch of any kind from the hops, and the malt just had no horsepower. (368 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.4%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended. (846 characters)

Pour from 17 oz bottle

A-Little head on top of golden beer. Carbonation very apparent bubbling up side of glass
S-Sweeter malts, wheat
T-Bready Pilsner without as much hop bite. Kind of a strange sweet taste to me. Hard to describe-Some interesting flavors but not when put in combo together
M-Decent mouth, not too much carbonation
D-Just didn't enjoy it enough to order more than one, but wouldn't turn down one offered.

Overall, probably just not a style for me, but i'm glad I sampled it. (494 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

Ahhh! The last surviving member of the Muenster Alts -- a style nearly killed by the Lager revolution, as well as the Pasteur revolution.

If this is what the style was, then I say good-riddance. It suffers from being 'not enough' in oh so many ways.

It pours a pleasant straw yellow, tainted by a pinch of chill-haze with a bubbly head that quickly collapses.

It smells very faint. This will be the beer's trademark. Faint and not enough.

The taste follows the smell. It is incredibly watery with a strong blast of nutty light munich mingling with a hint of wheat. This would be good if it weren't so dilute -- it is like a Helles mixed with seltzer water. Then there is a nice sour bite, but once again, far too muted to really make an impression, followed by a rather unpleasant soapy taste. If either the malt mix were toned up, or the sourness increased, I think this could be a very good beer. But they aren't, so I'm left with glorified dishwater.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned, is very watery and razor thin. If there were more carbonation, this could be rescued. But there isn't.

Drinkability: Why wouldn't I grab a Helles or a Berliner Weiss instead of this beer? This beer has aspects of both (and they are both styles I love) but it manages to do them very poorly.

Like the Gose, I think this is a style of beer best left to the history books. (1,374 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

Incredibly cloudy golden colour, with a rocky head of pure white, extremely fine carbonation. Bubbles are obscenely fine, almost like powder as it forms. Body is light and fine. Looks decent.

Nose is bright, but slightly yeasty, with honeyed organic characters, giving a fresh but sweetly underfermented oomph the the aroma. Smells either slightly too sweet or slightly too strong. Either makes me feel uncomfortable.

Taste is crisper and lighter, and it drags it back to the realms of sensibility. There's still certainly a big robust sweetness that gives it an unpleasant malt character, but there's at least a crispness to it that lends it sharp maltiness. Still, there's very little balance, and it's too sweet, but it's at least better than I expected.

Too sweet. To be honest I'm far from a fan, and I don't believe it's a particularly good alt. It's smooth and somewhat drinkable, but depressing in it's expressibility. (929 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

altbier my foot!?! ... very pale gold... some foam but low .. some nice flavours, honey lychee- kinda of intriguing ... again, if this is an altbier, i'd be very surprised- i am not an altbier expert but it seems like a light version .. a decent enjoyable beer but nothing like i expected.. (290 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden. (412 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -17.7%

Errr...I'm not entirely sure what I'm drinking here. The front and neck label simply say "Original Pinkus" but the back label says "Pinkus Alt." It looks and tastes like a pilsner. It has the body and mouthfeel of a pilsner. The smell is a bit more maltier than a pilsner, but all in all this really reminds of Czechvar.

I don't know...maybe this isn't the Alt, maybe I got a mislabelled bottle, but this really seems like a pilsner. (436 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis.. (312 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates to a very thin cap. This doesn't look like what I think an alt should look like.

S - Smells of earthy malts, with a crisp, very slight hop backing. This smells very "German," if that makes sense... probably from either noble or hallertau hops? Also, a faint pear/cider like aroma pulls through, maybe a result of a cross atlantic trip?

T - Bready malt is very assertive up front, and this is good. A sweet, fruity hop character comes through towards the very dry finish. Still getting a sour, pear-like characteristic.

M&D - Extremely carbonated, and not the smooth, creamy, yet light mouthfeel I love about alts. Pretty weird. However, I could see myself drinking this in the summertime, but over a good hefe or german or czech pils or lager...? (878 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: pours a hazy pale yellow color with a 2" head. The head quickly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: grassy - no more like a freshly mowed lawn after a spring rain.

Taste: biscuity and grainy, with loads of grass tones and lemon / grapefruit citrus. Very dry.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The dryness is most noticeable by the tongue. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not the altbier I expected. Average drinkability as this is too grassy and dry. This is an example that organic may not always be the better choice. (587 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Though it is a good beer, I don't think that it fits the style. I expected a deep copper - amber color. Instead, I got a hazy golden - copper hue. Has good head retention and lacing. Aromas are beady and citrusy. Thought I expect mild fruit aromas, I don't expect the tart citrus notes. Flavors are the same. the lemon-ey character over-rides the medium malt profile. The hops add a spiciness the the beer that is not expected. Though I like hop bittering in an Alt, I don't go for the spices here. The yeasty flavors take on a Belgian 'twang' , leaving the beer less clean than in most alts. The body is medim and a tad bit astringent. Finishes far too dry for an Alt, but crisp and fairly clean. Again, good beer, but not an Alt. (731 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin, white head. Smell is grainy and wheaty. Taste is also wheaty, very tart, with a large citrus flavor as well. Very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly prickly carbonation. Pretty drinkable though, I would drink this again. I think this is the first Altbier I've had, its OK, but I suspect there may be better examples out there. (379 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier. (813 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

Hazy straw yellow pour out of the 500ml bottle with a couple fingers of fluffy white head. Has some sweet banana yeast on the nose, but then the smell of a musty barn enters. Faint hops in the aroma and taste. A bit of lemon-like tartness mixed in with a touch of sweetness. This beer just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real familiar with this style, so I may have to come back to this at a later date. (402 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. The head was large, off-white, semi-rocky, and had some, but not a lot of staying power. Some loose lacing. Nothing to write home about.

Smell- Somewhat tart. Fair amount of malt. Somewhat lemony.

Taste- Interesting. A nice tartness, mixed with some malt sweetness up front; light and a little malty. Some grassy, floral hops mixed in there, but not much. Has a light, woody after-taste.

Mouthfeel- Light body. Decent level of carbonation.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, very sessionable. (543 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%

Aroma is strong and malty with fruity undertone, banana and a little apple. Pours a clear golden amber with a fairly thick and fluffy white head. Flavor is a bit thin but not bad - malty with a hint of bananas and just a whisper of sweetness. Texture is jazzy and lively. Not outstanding, but not too shabby. (308 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -12.2%

Very sleek, old-style bottle. Labeled as organic, with USDA organic stamp on back.

Pours a golden color, with a hazy clarity. Head was slight and dissipated rapidly. Carbonation lasts for a good while.

The smell is raw and tart. A lemony (acidic?). Malt is strong.

The taste is light, and malty. Carbonated bite lends the grain/malt flavor. Sweetness comes in the middle and is a bit fruity. Hops are floral/grassy , and a bit subdued.

Sticky in the throat, and a bit watery. This beer is just not flavorful enough for me. I don't have a lot of Altbier experience, but this doesn't satisfy. However, I don't think this is a poorly constructed beer either. It has plenty of depth and complexity. Just not my cup o' tea. But all in all very drinkable beer. (759 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint 1 fl oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I'm a bit taken aback. The beer is a dark gold, almost clear. Thousands of small bubbles are swarming through the liquid. A thick, white head (about 1 1/2 inches) sits atop the beer. The head lasts well into the beer. Some good lacing. I am still puzzled by the look, I expected this to be much darker.

Smell: Aroma is slightly sweet, all malt. Biscutty, bready, yeasty scent dominated. Some grassy smell as well.

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell. Touch sweet, no bitterness here. The beer is bready, heavy yeasty taste, a little grainy (wheat and perhaps barley). I almost feel like I'm drinking a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium in body, the beer starts crisp and lively (highly carbonated) and finishes dry, A nice full mouthfeel to it.

Drinkability: The beer is easily consumable, just not memorable, nor will I actively seek this one out again.

After consuming the bottle I had to double check to make sure that what I had drank was the Alt. The bottle says it was, so I must assume it is right. This just seemed a lot like the Ur Pils. (1,141 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at KnB Wines near San Diego for $3.99 and served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings.

Served refrigerator cold. Poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. I quite like altbiers.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head of some cream, pretty good thickness, and favorable retention. Colour is a clear pale yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Quite light for an alt. Fairly vibrant. I've seen far better looking beers in the style, but it's generally appealing.

Sm: Lime, lemon, salt, clean malts, artifical lime syrup, vague tequila, fresh citrus, full barley, vague lactic notes, and berry. A very interesting altbier aroma, though elements of it remind me of crappy Spanish lagers. I don't detect wheat at all. I'm intrigued, if suspicious. A pretty strong aroma.

T: Lime, lemon, and even some salt are all there. A bit gose-esque in that sense. Clean malts and full barley lend it some body. Some cream on the open. Lactic tang on the climax. Through it all, maybe a bit of middling wheat in the background. No yeast or alcohol come through. Not subtle or complex, but certainly...different. Alaskan Amber this is not. It's quite fresh - especially in terms of the clean pale malts and the lactic character. I do like it, but I can't place some of the notes. Hopping is background and vague; hardly noticeable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit syrupy from the artificial crap I detect in it. (If it isn't artificial lime, that's even more of a problem. What real ingredient is causing this off-note?). Thickness is acceptable. Decent carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable but largely unremarkable. Worth trying for its intriguing build within the style, but otherwise forgettable. I'm not one to trust the organic health nut craze, and this is evidence of why. I like the freshness and the bold approach to the style, but it never enters any truly remarkable territory. I doubt I'd get it again.

High C+ (2,116 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

0.5L brown bottle, capped, no date.

This altbier poured a very slightly hazy, golden amber color with creamy, white foam that settled flat. A somewhat unexpected color for an altbier. The smell was very lightly sweet and malty with a bit of biscuit and an aroma somewhat grain-like. The taste was lightly sweet and tangy with an almost corn sweetness. A light hoppiness came through in the finish. There was a hint of floral hops in with the bitter. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium-light body and low carbonation. Not much of an aftertaste. This was a bit of an odd altbier, unlike the typical Düsseldorf style altbiers that I am familiar with. (664 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

Mellow aroma of sweet breads, lightly spicy. Dark yellow with a huge white creamy top and nice lacing, slow carbonation. Mouthfeel is full and creamy at the very start but finished with a little bit of a thin quality. Flavor is mild and easy on the palate making this alt very drinkable. Slightly sweet with a good breadiness. Enjoyable but slightly better than average. (370 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -11.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fizzy white head into a weizen glass that settles into a thick ring that lasts about halfway through and is gone, never to be seen again. the body has a light haze and is the color of yellow straw. it looks almost thin and lifeless, very dull.
s - acidic and sour like lemons with a little malt graininess.
t - yeast and citrus pervade the front and the finish is very sweet and malty.
m - slick and oily and very thin.
d - forgettable brew, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for this. i'm not too familiar w/ this style but i wasn't impressed w/ this though it did have some good qualities. (625 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

01/21/2010
500 ml. bottle poured into a stange.

A: Pours a light golden/straw-color with 2 inches head. Slightly cloudy. Good carbonation.

S: Some hops and citrus. That's about it...

T: Hops and malt. Really tastes a lot more like a pilsener than anything else. Not too much flavor.

M: Clean and crisp. Goes down easily, but that might also be because it hardly has any taste to it.

D: Not too impressed with this one. Easy to drink, but isn't anything special. (466 characters)

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller