1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Organic Münster AltOrganic Münster Alt

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

jettjon, Jun 02, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fizzy white head into a weizen glass that settles into a thick ring that lasts about halfway through and is gone, never to be seen again. the body has a light haze and is the color of yellow straw. it looks almost thin and lifeless, very dull.
s - acidic and sour like lemons with a little malt graininess.
t - yeast and citrus pervade the front and the finish is very sweet and malty.
m - slick and oily and very thin.
d - forgettable brew, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for this. i'm not too familiar w/ this style but i wasn't impressed w/ this though it did have some good qualities.

GPHarris, May 14, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a golden color with a hint of orange. Had a white, pillowy, two-finger head. Left good lacing.

S - Smelled of berries, wheat and grains.

T - It tasted of wheat and was quite sweet. Also, had a yeasty flavor.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was a very nice beer. Another good German brew.

zeff80, Mar 23, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This was much better than I was expecting it to be. Everything else I have ever had from this brewery, I didn't care for. It poured a yellow/orange colour with a bit of chill haze, and a white head that seemed to vanish in about 40 seconds; white patchy webbing and a thick white ring around the edges remained. Smell was all sweet malts. Almost smelled like a bowl of breakfast cereal, actually. Taste was sweet cereals all the way through, with a bit of a sourness right at the finish. Mouthfeel was smooth and very easy to drink. Refreshing. I'm very glad I tried this offering from an otherwise dissappointing brewery. A good brew, for sure.

SilentSabre, Mar 13, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

500 ML bottle>massive mug

AP: A pale golden color with a mild white hazed effect, very macro-lager-ish with a small, thin all-white head that displays some decent retention and a bit of lacing.

Nose: There's a slightly sweet roasted barley and-wheat smell with a mild yeast and bready effect. some minor herbalized hop scent way down deep.

Taste: A watery and slightly sweet malted wheat taste that is rather thin lager-like. There's a yeastie and bready effect, but is not nearly complex or deep enough to keep my taste buds happy. Much, much thinner and weaker than most good Altbiers that I've had.

MF: This feels very lively and active but thin and forgetable.

DA: Another, not-so-good organic offering. I was really routing for this one to be decent. I expected an Alt and got a thin American Macro Lager. Oh well.

GratefulBeerGuy, Feb 09, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Ahhh! The last surviving member of the Muenster Alts -- a style nearly killed by the Lager revolution, as well as the Pasteur revolution.

If this is what the style was, then I say good-riddance. It suffers from being 'not enough' in oh so many ways.

It pours a pleasant straw yellow, tainted by a pinch of chill-haze with a bubbly head that quickly collapses.

It smells very faint. This will be the beer's trademark. Faint and not enough.

The taste follows the smell. It is incredibly watery with a strong blast of nutty light munich mingling with a hint of wheat. This would be good if it weren't so dilute -- it is like a Helles mixed with seltzer water. Then there is a nice sour bite, but once again, far too muted to really make an impression, followed by a rather unpleasant soapy taste. If either the malt mix were toned up, or the sourness increased, I think this could be a very good beer. But they aren't, so I'm left with glorified dishwater.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned, is very watery and razor thin. If there were more carbonation, this could be rescued. But there isn't.

Drinkability: Why wouldn't I grab a Helles or a Berliner Weiss instead of this beer? This beer has aspects of both (and they are both styles I love) but it manages to do them very poorly.

Like the Gose, I think this is a style of beer best left to the history books.

shbobdb, Jan 28, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden.

RevDru, Jan 11, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

hunteraw, Dec 20, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this one in a trade with stephenlouis. thanks stephen!

the label on this one doesn't quite match the picture. it says "original pinkus obergarig" and "pinkus alt" on the back, so i think it's the same one.

pours a pale straw yellow with a bit of pure white head. quickly drops and leaves no lace behind.

aroma is ok. corn and dms, but not overpowering. not much else to it though.

taste is ok. fairly plain and simple. hint of bitterness. little dms. touch of biscuity malt. hint of spicy hops. decent, but not wowing me.

mouthfeel is good. it's light and has a fairly low well integrated carbonation.

dirnkability is ok. at first the aroma threw me off, but it's a decent and enjoyable beer.

grub, Nov 22, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

johnbonham1980, Nov 02, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

As Alts go, this was a bit disappointing. Granted there are variations on every theme, but this was not what I expected from a brewer whose other products I have found to exceed expectations. The color was a hazy pale yellow, with a decent head that fell quickly. Not much in the nose but the typical mix of helles-like malts. And the taste wasn't as rich as I had expected either. Extremly mild blend of malt and generic hops flavor in a rather thin mouthful. I looked at the label twice to make sure I was drinking something called an Altbier. I could have sworn I was drinking a helles-lager or even a cloudy Kolsch. Very drinkable, but therein lies the problem. I was expecting something rich and special. Not this time.

tugdriver7, Oct 30, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pour is golden and clear with modest head that dissapears.
Smell is lemon, sour ,floral, crisp and clean. Sometimes I think of stinky feet with this beer.
Taste is citrus and crisp
Mouthfeel is great when really cold but ok when gets warmer
Drinkability-good summer brew

calinative68, Oct 29, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a .5L bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is yellow, Good carbonation, nice head 2 finger white, and good lace.

The smell is faint, with a fruity lemonish twang.

The taste is ok but not quite what I was expecting, seems to be out of style, A little citric, fruity. Malt and hops are not standing out.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium body, carbonation is ave.

The drinkability is not so great, I would try it again, but I will not seek it out. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Oct 27, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Oct 24, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a hazy light golden color with moderate white creamy head. modest lacing. Smell is summer fruity, with some citrus (lemon) notes also present. Taste follows through on the taste with a nice fruity sweetness and stronger lemon tastes. At the finish a fine hop bitter bitterness begins to come through, which proves to be a fine ending for this beer. Not quite what I was extecting, but still a very enjoyable beer.

tgbljb, Sep 23, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Cloudy, straw color. Decent head (pure white), a little lace on the glass.

Grainy, thin smelling--rather similar to N/A beers.

Thin bodied and surprisingly similar to a pilsner. Very high carbonation. A touch of citrus. Very low hop level--could this be the German version of Bud?

This is not what I expected. I'm used to something closer to a British Mild. This is a weak expression of an Alt.

smcolw, Sep 17, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy golden lemon cloud color with long lasting foamy head. The bubbles are moderately tight on top and larger and more soapy looking further down. Tastes of a lemon haze - pilser/hefe mix. Notes of lemon, sweet vanilla and plain graham cracker. Nicely drinkable.

dhilltop2000, Aug 20, 2006

Errr...I'm not entirely sure what I'm drinking here. The front and neck label simply say "Original Pinkus" but the back label says "Pinkus Alt." It looks and tastes like a pilsner. It has the body and mouthfeel of a pilsner. The smell is a bit more maltier than a pilsner, but all in all this really reminds of Czechvar.

I don't know...maybe this isn't the Alt, maybe I got a mislabelled bottle, but this really seems like a pilsner.

BDTyre, Jul 28, 2006

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis..

kimcgolf, Jul 25, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Organic Alt is a cloudy yellow color with a high level of carbonation. The head is tall and pretty thick. Aroma is of sweet grain, almost euro lager-like, with an edge of darker malt. Taste starts with sweet malt, with an earthy edge. Graininess is high for the style. Herbal hops stay in the background. A slight lemony flavor is noted mid-sip and is joined by an acidic mouthfeel. Midsip also brings a musty flavor that seems off. This doesn't taste like the few alts I've sampled. Flavors collide all over the place and provide no cohesive taste. Maybe my bottle is off or old. Anyway, this isn't bad, but isn't something I particularly want to drink either.

Gagnonsux, Jul 08, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Dim peach. Constant 1/2" skim. Frothy 'latte' head.

Nose is fresh, clean, and slim. Faint suggestions of lemons, various other citric elements, hay, grain, and cream.

Tastes comes on very slowly and smoothly; grain, rainwater, wildflowers, mewn hay. Little sweeter than expected.

Mouthfeel is silk-smooth, and endlessly drinkable.

I've been gravitating towards well-built, subtle beer styles in the summer and this fits the bill perfectly. Went down fantastically while watching the sunset on the porch.

GreenWBush, Jul 08, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Not a bad altbier. Pours out to a medium orange color with a small head of white foam. No lace. Aromas of citrus and yeast, mixed with flat and bland malts. Taste is fair; medium bodied malts and sour citrusy yeast notes mellow in the mouth, and hints of fermented grain and flowery hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and a touch creamy. Not bad. Drinkability is pretty good. I'd have this again. I dig that it's organic. Kind of cool... Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, Jun 21, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pinkus Organic Munster Alt pours a hazy golden color with a white head. Mild, malty aroma. Taste definitely tends to the malty side, some metallic taste present but not too distracting. I like this compared to the other Alt beers I've had, its not as intensely malty, and quite drinkable, more drinkable than the other Alts I've had, perhaps, I think because it is a lower alcohol than the others. Worth a try.

Drew966, May 24, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -13%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint 1 fl oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I'm a bit taken aback. The beer is a dark gold, almost clear. Thousands of small bubbles are swarming through the liquid. A thick, white head (about 1 1/2 inches) sits atop the beer. The head lasts well into the beer. Some good lacing. I am still puzzled by the look, I expected this to be much darker.

Smell: Aroma is slightly sweet, all malt. Biscutty, bready, yeasty scent dominated. Some grassy smell as well.

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell. Touch sweet, no bitterness here. The beer is bready, heavy yeasty taste, a little grainy (wheat and perhaps barley). I almost feel like I'm drinking a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium in body, the beer starts crisp and lively (highly carbonated) and finishes dry, A nice full mouthfeel to it.

Drinkability: The beer is easily consumable, just not memorable, nor will I actively seek this one out again.

After consuming the bottle I had to double check to make sure that what I had drank was the Alt. The bottle says it was, so I must assume it is right. This just seemed a lot like the Ur Pils.

BigRedN, May 13, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This .5l brown bottle of Pinkus Münster Alt poured a hazy blond to gold color, definitely unexpected for an Alt. It had a thick fluffy white head which dissipated slowly leaving a slight lacing. Fine bubbles evolved from the sides and bottom of the glass throughout.

The Aroma was dominated by toasty, bready clean malt. Spicy noble hop aromas were also evident with a slight earthiness reminiscent of wild mushrooms.

The flavor profile was dominated by clean bready malt, but contained fruity, floral and citrus elements as well. Hop bitterness was mild but assertive and the hop flavor was of spicy noble hops. This beer had a relatively dry finish with lingering bitterness and a slight hint of earthy wild mushroom which came out late.

The body of this beer was lighter than expected… it had a light mouthcoat and a light degree of carbon dioxide bite.

An unusual Alt to be sure, Pinkus Münster Alt was not what I had expected, but was a great beer none the less. Organic and unfiltered… this beer was full flavored and enjoyable.

biergeniesser, May 09, 2006