Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured right into a tapered pint glass from the bottle. The puffy head disappears within 10 minutes. Smell very yeasty in the way of a typical German beer. Very cloudy and hard to see the bubbles rising. I took this beer out of the fridge to allow it to warm up a bit. A yeasty/ citrus like taste that lingers on the palate. Very drinkable and interesting.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a hazy dark yellow with a dense off-white head.

The smell is fruity with notes of banana and malt. Some slightly off putting earthyness.

The taste is complex with fruit and malt sweetness and herbal hops and a slight lingering bitterness.

Very smooth and drinkable with a surprisingly rich mouthfeel.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a really nice, bright, light head. The head itself seemed to be bubbling, not just sitting there which was interesting. A nice level of carbonation with the bubbles on the bottom climbinb up the side of the glass and those on top rushing quickly to the surface. Average, golden, slightly hazy color, with an aroma like rice krispies. This was my first altbier and it definitely brought me back to my time in Deutschland. I expected a sweeter, deeper malt taste, but this tasted almost like a wheat beer. Good though, I would drink it again but probabl won't buy it for a while.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

When poured from its pint bottle to my pint glass, it had an awesome gold color with a bright white head. The aroma was delicate with a sweet malt base and a piney hop scent probably due to the noble hops used (Saaz?).The flavor was delicate with a light body and a dry finish. The piney hop flavor is present during the entire tasting. All and all, it was a light, refreshing, delicate beer. And best of all, it's 100% organic!

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

i have'nt had an alt in a while ; pours a hazy golden-straw colour w/ a thin white head which dissapates quickly, little lacing ; a hoppy aroma w/ some malty undertones, i get a faint, almost smokey aroma in there too ; a little thin on the flavor, mostly hop w/ a "euro-macro" malt profile, not as malty & rich as some alts i've had ; a light, almost dry palate w/ a good amount of carbonation ; a very drinkable brew, i want to try this one head-head w/ some other alts one day ....

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a very clear, cloudy color with minimal head. Aroma is light and somewhat malty upfront. Taste is somewhat bitter in front with a lot of malt crispness. It's nice and bready as well. A bit hard to describe but otherwise, I think this is a decent altbier. It's not as dark as other altbiers that I've had and seems more true to the style as well. Regardless, I'll chalk this up as being very drinkable much like the Ur Pils.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Very sleek, old-style bottle. Labeled as organic, with USDA organic stamp on back.

Pours a golden color, with a hazy clarity. Head was slight and dissipated rapidly. Carbonation lasts for a good while.

The smell is raw and tart. A lemony (acidic?). Malt is strong.

The taste is light, and malty. Carbonated bite lends the grain/malt flavor. Sweetness comes in the middle and is a bit fruity. Hops are floral/grassy , and a bit subdued.

Sticky in the throat, and a bit watery. This beer is just not flavorful enough for me. I don't have a lot of Altbier experience, but this doesn't satisfy. However, I don't think this is a poorly constructed beer either. It has plenty of depth and complexity. Just not my cup o' tea. But all in all very drinkable beer.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

It pours from 500ml bottle a clear light gold with a fairly large head of foam. After the second pour, the brew becomes cloudy and the head of foam is more substantial and longer lasting. I've got 2 finger foam in my glass right now and it's not shrinking at all. Nice.

The smell is malty and hoppy. Neither is more dominant than the other.

The taste starts of with some malt but then the hops move in and that's on the citrusy side. This is a very delicate beer and in order for me to get the most flavour out of it, I have to swish it back and forth in my mouth. *That's* when this Alt starts to shine. I get some real earthy notes from the malt as well as some sweet caramel and the hops subside to a point where they're just giving the beer the slightest bit of bitter and semi sour character. I miss the fine nuances when I just sip and swallow.

Overall? I think a lot of the flavour with this Alt will be missed if you just sip or drink and swallow but I find that swishing it in your mouth just a few times will help you recognize what's going on here when you return to sipping/drinking. Just something that I find from my experience. Ymmv. Bottom line: I really like this Alt and I hope to try some more of the style in the not too distant future.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

I had this beer at Mr. Moto's in Burlington IA, poured from a standard German 0.5L bottle. The beer was much lighter in color than I expected for an Altbier, it was crystal clear and golden colored. The aroma was malty, a little like a muted wort smell, very promising. The flavor was almost all malts, slightly sweet, nothing offensive but nothing too strong either. Very easy for a variety of palates I would guess, almost like a strong Kolsch. Very nice sessionable beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

A-Poured into glass. Nice golden color looks like many of the macro beers, but has a nicer head that goes down rather quickly and laces quite nicely

S- A very faint and fresh caramel cedar spiciness.

T- Uber refreshing with hints of cherry and a wheaty-caramel flavors and a little reminiscent of baked apples with a muted hoppy bite at the end. Leaves the mouth pleasantly dry.

M- Light bodied, carbonation. Es ist mittelmäßig!

D-This beer seems to have more aspects to it than I can glean. I'll want to try it again when my tasters have improved.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a light golden like a pilsener with a decent fluffy eggshell head. A small ammount of bubbles float to the top which do not really sustain the head. Lacing is very nice as sheets of foam stick to the glass as you raise it.

S-There is a spicyness here, coriander, pepper and a bt of whitebread.

T-more of that spicyness with a bit of floral type of hops and a nice sweetness to balnce. Aftertaste is somewhat minimal but is dry. The yeast comes through slightly and produces some slightly funky flavours, maybe some fruit. As it warms some of that proper old beer flavour comes through that I have enjoyed in other alts. That sort of twang comes through and makes this pretty pleasant

M-Light bodied, subtle carbonation. Pleasant enough.

D-This is a good beer but I kind of am a little bit at a loss as to what to make of it. It is much lighter than all other alts I have had and has a similar taste to the other beers in Pinkus' lineup. An interesting beer nonetheless and one I probably will get again to explore further.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle into tulip glass.

I haven't had many altbiers, so this is a pretty raw assessment. A: Light gold, pretty clear, light puffy head that died down after a minute or two. Very clean. S: A lot going on here, very sweet but a lot of dry grains on top. T: A bit thin at first, but it really comes alive after a moment. Grains, citrus, floral qualities. Very nice. M: Very smooth, moderate carbonation. D: I could drink this beer all night. It's been a very hot summer so I've been looking for some interesting lighter beers, and this fits the bill nicely.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fizzy white head into a weizen glass that settles into a thick ring that lasts about halfway through and is gone, never to be seen again. the body has a light haze and is the color of yellow straw. it looks almost thin and lifeless, very dull.
s - acidic and sour like lemons with a little malt graininess.
t - yeast and citrus pervade the front and the finish is very sweet and malty.
m - slick and oily and very thin.
d - forgettable brew, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for this. i'm not too familiar w/ this style but i wasn't impressed w/ this though it did have some good qualities.

3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a golden color with a hint of orange. Had a white, pillowy, two-finger head. Left good lacing.

S - Smelled of berries, wheat and grains.

T - It tasted of wheat and was quite sweet. Also, had a yeasty flavor.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was a very nice beer. Another good German brew.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This was much better than I was expecting it to be. Everything else I have ever had from this brewery, I didn't care for. It poured a yellow/orange colour with a bit of chill haze, and a white head that seemed to vanish in about 40 seconds; white patchy webbing and a thick white ring around the edges remained. Smell was all sweet malts. Almost smelled like a bowl of breakfast cereal, actually. Taste was sweet cereals all the way through, with a bit of a sourness right at the finish. Mouthfeel was smooth and very easy to drink. Refreshing. I'm very glad I tried this offering from an otherwise dissappointing brewery. A good brew, for sure.

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

500 ML bottle>massive mug

AP: A pale golden color with a mild white hazed effect, very macro-lager-ish with a small, thin all-white head that displays some decent retention and a bit of lacing.

Nose: There's a slightly sweet roasted barley and-wheat smell with a mild yeast and bready effect. some minor herbalized hop scent way down deep.

Taste: A watery and slightly sweet malted wheat taste that is rather thin lager-like. There's a yeastie and bready effect, but is not nearly complex or deep enough to keep my taste buds happy. Much, much thinner and weaker than most good Altbiers that I've had.

MF: This feels very lively and active but thin and forgetable.

DA: Another, not-so-good organic offering. I was really routing for this one to be decent. I expected an Alt and got a thin American Macro Lager. Oh well.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Ahhh! The last surviving member of the Muenster Alts -- a style nearly killed by the Lager revolution, as well as the Pasteur revolution.

If this is what the style was, then I say good-riddance. It suffers from being 'not enough' in oh so many ways.

It pours a pleasant straw yellow, tainted by a pinch of chill-haze with a bubbly head that quickly collapses.

It smells very faint. This will be the beer's trademark. Faint and not enough.

The taste follows the smell. It is incredibly watery with a strong blast of nutty light munich mingling with a hint of wheat. This would be good if it weren't so dilute -- it is like a Helles mixed with seltzer water. Then there is a nice sour bite, but once again, far too muted to really make an impression, followed by a rather unpleasant soapy taste. If either the malt mix were toned up, or the sourness increased, I think this could be a very good beer. But they aren't, so I'm left with glorified dishwater.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned, is very watery and razor thin. If there were more carbonation, this could be rescued. But there isn't.

Drinkability: Why wouldn't I grab a Helles or a Berliner Weiss instead of this beer? This beer has aspects of both (and they are both styles I love) but it manages to do them very poorly.

Like the Gose, I think this is a style of beer best left to the history books.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this one in a trade with stephenlouis. thanks stephen!

the label on this one doesn't quite match the picture. it says "original pinkus obergarig" and "pinkus alt" on the back, so i think it's the same one.

pours a pale straw yellow with a bit of pure white head. quickly drops and leaves no lace behind.

aroma is ok. corn and dms, but not overpowering. not much else to it though.

taste is ok. fairly plain and simple. hint of bitterness. little dms. touch of biscuity malt. hint of spicy hops. decent, but not wowing me.

mouthfeel is good. it's light and has a fairly low well integrated carbonation.

dirnkability is ok. at first the aroma threw me off, but it's a decent and enjoyable beer.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

As Alts go, this was a bit disappointing. Granted there are variations on every theme, but this was not what I expected from a brewer whose other products I have found to exceed expectations. The color was a hazy pale yellow, with a decent head that fell quickly. Not much in the nose but the typical mix of helles-like malts. And the taste wasn't as rich as I had expected either. Extremly mild blend of malt and generic hops flavor in a rather thin mouthful. I looked at the label twice to make sure I was drinking something called an Altbier. I could have sworn I was drinking a helles-lager or even a cloudy Kolsch. Very drinkable, but therein lies the problem. I was expecting something rich and special. Not this time.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pour is golden and clear with modest head that dissapears.
Smell is lemon, sour ,floral, crisp and clean. Sometimes I think of stinky feet with this beer.
Taste is citrus and crisp
Mouthfeel is great when really cold but ok when gets warmer
Drinkability-good summer brew

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a .5L bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is yellow, Good carbonation, nice head 2 finger white, and good lace.

The smell is faint, with a fruity lemonish twang.

The taste is ok but not quite what I was expecting, seems to be out of style, A little citric, fruity. Malt and hops are not standing out.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium body, carbonation is ave.

The drinkability is not so great, I would try it again, but I will not seek it out. MK

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller