Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look – slightly pale golden color, clear, with slow carbonation and about two and a half fingers’ worth of just barely off-white colored foam that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell – interesting smell, it’s very spicy, but I can’t tell which spices are being used. Slightly more on the hoppy side, perhaps using Saas hops?

Taste – much like the smell, it’s an interesting taste, perhaps not quite like anything I’ve tasted before. There’s a bit of a muskiness, but it starts off with a sweetness. Still very spicy, but I can’t identify it.

Mouthfeel – the Mouthfeel is fairly solidly on the watery side, but not so much to make it less interesting.

Overall – very intriguing brew! I wish I could figure out more about the taste and what’s in it.

10-30-2011 18:17:31 | More by Nerudamann
utopiajane

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours hazy golden and much paler than I expected with a white head foam that fell pretty quickly but left a ring and some spots of lace. Nose is malty and earthy. A bit of grass behind the malt. No fruit .A slight honey like sweetness. Just enough to be there and really no more than that.

Taste is round with malt. A bit of depth but no heaviness. Grainy. A slight honey sweetness and the roundness of the malt come together perfectly with a good little bite from carbonation. This finishes dry and with a slight bitter. The herbal is but a whisper in the drink. Just barely there. Crisp and lovely. The mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium.

06-23-2014 17:51:31 | More by utopiajane
Bnoise11

08-04-2013 04:22:17 | More by Bnoise11
PatandDavid

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm enjoying this: a lot of flavor out of nowhere, and not a high abv to deal with. Pour is a dusky straw. Aroma is fresh and bready. Taste is a surprise of honey and some appley notes. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. I thought this would be darker, or hoppier, and I find it's neither (hard to tell with that brown bottle). I find this rather tasty, and wouldn't mind a few bottles more for the rest of the evening. Would drink again. pat

01-14-2004 00:38:30 | More by PatandDavid
jettjon

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

06-01-2007 23:14:56 | More by jettjon
udubdawg

Kansas

pours a surprisingly light color, peachy gold and quite hazy. Head is big and frothy, quite inviting overall, though so far it is far from what I'd expect from the style.
Aroma follows suit. There is big fruitiness here. Orchard fruits, some citrus, suggestion of doughy malt before hops and more likely yeast takes over. If blindfolded I'd have said this was more like something using the Fullers yeast strain than an alt.
Flavor continues the fruitiness. There is a honey-ish sweetness like a fresh peach to the flavor with moderate tartness in the finish. Moderate bitterness though it doesn't really linger. It's not particularly clean with a mildly sticky sweet fruit flavor coating the palate, again at odds with what I'd expect. Not particularly caramel-y either.
Carbonation is medium low, body medium, drinkability high after I quit trying to figure it out and just enjoyed it.

As a general beverage this falls somewhere between good and excellent. As an alt, I can't see how I'd even rate it as average. I shall have to do more "research" on this beer!

05-21-2010 21:41:26 | More by udubdawg
stewart124

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

A foamy white head sits atop this yellow munster alt. A bit paler than I had envisioned. The head doesn't last long.

Very floral notes are present and a nice earthy aroma.

Sweet and delicate in the flavor. More floral and straw characteristcs. Simply refreshing and delicious. Crisp and light in character. Finishes fairly dry. There is a left over floral and sweet taste.

This is awesome! I have only had a few sips and I'm in love. A great alt and I wish I could get this more often.

05-09-2008 00:20:28 | More by stewart124
scottum

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a yellow amber with a bright white head. Malty sweet, but limited in complexity. Hops are supurb in their crispt bite. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and thus suffers in ranking, but smooth none the less. Nice and eady to drink.

And my hebrew name is Schlomo ben Pinkus so there we go!

11-10-2003 19:52:17 | More by scottum
Gtg642

10-20-2012 02:26:08 | More by Gtg642
hotstuff

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a good head and it also had decent lacing to it. In my opinion, it had a fruity aroma and there was a lot of carbonation observed. This beer went down very smooth which is much to my liking and it was a very drinkable beer.

07-05-2003 12:03:00 | More by hotstuff
Wobbly

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

08-14-2014 23:24:56 | More by Wobbly
vacax

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours cloudy rich golden in color with a moderately thick white head, good retention and plenty of lace. Inviting aromas of German malts, apples, honey, estery yeast, and a citric hoppiness. Tastes lightly sweet, but with a dry tarty balance--malty but with apples, tart wheat, estery, and a malty cookie and floral finish. Very light in body, but creamy and complementary to the nicely balanced flavor. This beer gave me a new appreciation for alt biers, very tasty stuff. Very easy to drink, very good.

01-31-2010 03:02:35 | More by vacax
hunteraw

China

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

12-20-2006 21:49:35 | More by hunteraw
cavedave

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended.

02-23-2014 18:28:55 | More by cavedave
treehugger02010

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

10-24-2006 13:08:41 | More by treehugger02010
czfreeman

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Germany's oldest organic brewery has quite the extensive selection in the Organic Market. Pours out an "untypical" Altbier color of light honeyed amber. Light carbonation makes a nice light fluffy head. Looks a bit like a Keller bier.
On the nose--tart lemon,musty grains,touch of orange, lightly sweet-apple,pear, grape.the sweetness is nicely cut by the blast of mineral,grain, and fresh grass.
Flavor is reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse. Lemon, acidic,light,nicely carbonated,and just the right amount of creaminess to balance. this finish is long and lingering with pepper, honey and lemon.
nice,light tart and refreshing. Maybe not a typical Altbier but tasty nonetheless. I'll be living near Munster soon, so looks like I'll have lots more in my future Cheers

05-21-2010 20:09:04 | More by czfreeman
Greggy

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Pours a very impressive fluffy two-finger head that is slow to recede and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: A straw scent comes through as well as some light citrus

Taste: Most notably, it had an obvious, lemon-esque taste to it. The grainy straw comes through after the lemon taste. Finishes grainy and a touch citric.

Mouthfeel: citric and sour, but refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a very unique brew. I can see it being very refreshing in the summertime.

02-25-2008 00:18:35 | More by Greggy

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

12-20-2011 19:50:23 | More by weaselchew
Zraly

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours clear gold with a nice, two finger head. Delicate smell of floral hops.

Crisp grainy flavor that has an interesting twang in the finish. A touch of lemon and citrus, followed by flowers and earth mid-palate. Super easy to drink, light-medium bodied. Carbonation is good for style. Really tasty and -- without any doubts -- a great session ale.

A delightful alt beer. I've grown to expect alt to appear darker, but I can totally take a pass at this because of its flavorful goodness. Great on a humid summer eve with a nice cheese plate -- would probably be wonderful with grilled sausages.

08-10-2013 21:22:41 | More by Zraly
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Lighter in color than any other alt that I have seen. It pours out a darkish yellow, almost like a hefe. Looks good, just doesn't look like an alt. The smell is like raw wheat and more harsh than I expected. The smell is a bit grassy as well. Taste is similar to the smell but more mild. This is an alt? I guess that I don't know much about the style. The grassy notes come through more in the after taste. Actually a well balanced beer, I am just very confused about the style and how this beer fits in.

07-23-2004 23:16:46 | More by CharlesRiver
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

Great classic (easily recognizable) label. Pours a golden yellow with a slight haze. Foamy head on top has some sparse lacing that does hang around quite a bit.

Aroma is a bit of corn grain and some slightly skunked noble hop twang.

Flavor is very complex for such an innocent looking beer. Some floral sweetness...especially honeysuckle, crisp hops (slight metallic), and some light apple or pear flavors. A slight spice is in here too, maybe chai tea or clove, but its pretty mild.

I like this brew a lot. A bit light in color for the Alt style, but otherwise great. This brew was quite a surprise for me, very flavorful and full bodied for such a light lager. Great subtly and smooth mouthfeel.
Incredible drinkability!