Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a wiezen glass, the Organic Münster Alt is clear gold with a small white head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is sweet and thick, flowers, sugar and

Taste is pretty good, nice sweet malt but clean, almost more like a belgian pale ale, not at all cloying or overly sweet as the nose might sugguest. I've never had an alt beer that I can remember, and though I expected this to be yellow when I bought it, I see BA cites the style is more brown ale.

Mouthfeel is on the crisper, dry side, but very smooth.

Drinkability is really pretty good for me, a tasty german blonde.

ccrida, Apr 27, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Pour from 17 oz bottle

A-Little head on top of golden beer. Carbonation very apparent bubbling up side of glass
S-Sweeter malts, wheat
T-Bready Pilsner without as much hop bite. Kind of a strange sweet taste to me. Hard to describe-Some interesting flavors but not when put in combo together
M-Decent mouth, not too much carbonation
D-Just didn't enjoy it enough to order more than one, but wouldn't turn down one offered.

Overall, probably just not a style for me, but i'm glad I sampled it.

hopsleeroy, Apr 23, 2008

The Munster Alt pours a straw clear yellow with a solid 2 finger foam head in a pilsner glass. It left some tight bubble foam lacing. A good looking beer. No freshness date.

The aroma was malty and grainy. It was chewy malt most of the way through. It has a little zest in the finish with a slight hop bitterness. It had a lemony taste as it finished. Overall it was refreshing beer after a balmy spring day.

cswhitehorse, Apr 14, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Thin slightly grainy yellow with not much of a head.

Smell: Slightly sweet malts with a little fruit

Taste: Like the smell, a light malt flavor with a little fruity note to it.

Mouthfeel: Thin and refreshing, slightly less astringent than the Pinkus pils.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability.

BWMKappaSig, Apr 08, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a slightly hazy straw yellow with a thick meringue-like white head. Malt aroma with a little peach scent in the background. Clean malt flavor, just enough hop bitterness to balance, and a bit of fruity ale yeast flavor. There is a very mild presence of wheat-like spiciness, too. A fairly light mouthfeel, which is proportionate to the rest of the beer. Drinkability is great, a real lawnmower beer that has enough flavor to stay interesting after the first couple. Nice summer beer, certainly a good crossover beer for your BMC-swilling friends.

MillRat, Apr 08, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Brewed with up to 40% malted wheat in the grist, this Alt is very different than the class ic Dusseldorfer Alt.

Poured from a 16oz brown bottle (no freshness date) at cellar temps. Cloudy light amber (dull pale colour). A tight 3 finger head head formed which left decent laceing on my ale glass. The aroma was mainly tart with a background maltiness. The large proportion of malted wheat gives this alt a very tart taste profile. Some sweetness from the malts can be detected in the middle, and the finish was a bit sour and dry. The body was thin. Very little hop character.

This Alt is more akin to a poorly brewed American Wheat or Berliner Weiss. It displays none of the characteristics of a classic Alt. For lovers of classic Alts, please avoid

jpkoch1962, Mar 29, 2008

Into a half-liter mug, this beer is a very pale gold with a moderate head. Crystal clear. Sweet, grainy malt aroma. Good malt flavor for a light beer, like the best Helles. Balanced by a light-to-medium bitterness that dries out the sweetness, and adds a touch of floral hop character. Fruitiness is low but detectable. Light bodied with a crisp character.

Very drinkable beer, light but tasty.

allengarvin, Mar 21, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Pours a very impressive fluffy two-finger head that is slow to recede and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: A straw scent comes through as well as some light citrus

Taste: Most notably, it had an obvious, lemon-esque taste to it. The grainy straw comes through after the lemon taste. Finishes grainy and a touch citric.

Mouthfeel: citric and sour, but refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a very unique brew. I can see it being very refreshing in the summertime.

Greggy, Feb 25, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -26%

Very light clearish yellow with a good sized big white head. Smell is light malty graininess, almost a spiced essence and a touch metallic. Taste is a mix of a light maltiness and subtle yeastiness. Very similar to a lightly flavored Wit beer. Not bad at all, but then again, nothing spectacular. It is the first organic beer I've tried that didn't taste strange in some way though.

JDV, Feb 22, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Yep, got this from the BA's German Beer Fest. Why aren't you volunteering as well?

Enjoying this brew from a Samuel Adams mug that Marc from Sunset Grill gave us last week at the BA staff meeting. Privileges volunteering has (I'm watching Star Wars Episode III).

So, according to this bottle, the beer inside is organic. I'm sure that means something to some people, for me, not so much.

Appearance: I swear there was a nice, thick head to this beer, but I just looked down and there's none to speak of. Again, it could be that I've had this beer has been in my fridge for awhile and it's due to age or the cleanliness of my glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, straw

Taste: I could only pick up malt when I tasted this beer.

Mouthfeel: smooth, crispiness. No lingering sensation.

Drinkability: I have to say this was a highly drinkable and enjoyable beer. I don't put much credence in something being "organic" but I'm not going to hold it against this beer.

fdrich29, Feb 18, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +5%

17oz bottle picked up today at the Boise Coop for $3.. poured into my standard weizen glass.

White 2 finger head drops leaving nice sheets of lace atop a very slightly hazy straw/lite gold brew.

There is something about the aroma that is particular to this brew/style that I can't put my finger on .. Earthy.. grainy .. malty and lightly fruity all at the same time.. Sorta smells like a pale/very lightly hopped wort before fermentation.

The flavor leans alot to the grainy side of things.. much of the same complexities as the nose but more substantial... really pretty rich given the color and the lower ABV... bready with very low but discernable spicy hops... The body is also sorta unexpected.. more viscous given the light color.. smooth.

My only "problem" with this brew is a personal one .... after plugging away at roughly 50% of the bottle right now, I know I wouldn't want another one immediately.

I know that I've had the Pinkus Munster before because I have the label, but I honestly don't remember drinking it. This is a very nice brew and more complex than my feeble palate/brain can describe. No doubt, I will buy again, if for no other reason, to try and pick out some of the background flavors/aromas that are giving me trouble tonight.

JohnGalt1, Feb 07, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. The head was large, off-white, semi-rocky, and had some, but not a lot of staying power. Some loose lacing. Nothing to write home about.

Smell- Somewhat tart. Fair amount of malt. Somewhat lemony.

Taste- Interesting. A nice tartness, mixed with some malt sweetness up front; light and a little malty. Some grassy, floral hops mixed in there, but not much. Has a light, woody after-taste.

Mouthfeel- Light body. Decent level of carbonation.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, very sessionable.

theopholis, Feb 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is unlike any altbier I've had before, the look resembling a pilsener, pouring out a hazy golden color, as opposed to a brown or amber. Not much head or lacing, settling down quickly to a tiny tiny ring of foam.

Tastewise, it's dominated by malt, hops, and yeast, tasting almost like a less hoppy version of what Pilsener Urquell used to taste like back before it got bought and was still good. Sort of resembles Budvar/Czechvar.

Very drinkable and a pleasant, if sedate, beer, but not at all representative of a typical altbier. So if you're looking for a classic alt, look elsewhere.

However, if you think of it as a decently good pils, you'll be fine.

watchnerd, Jan 30, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured right into a tapered pint glass from the bottle. The puffy head disappears within 10 minutes. Smell very yeasty in the way of a typical German beer. Very cloudy and hard to see the bubbles rising. I took this beer out of the fridge to allow it to warm up a bit. A yeasty/ citrus like taste that lingers on the palate. Very drinkable and interesting.

madjr80, Jan 15, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a hazy dark yellow with a dense off-white head.

The smell is fruity with notes of banana and malt. Some slightly off putting earthyness.

The taste is complex with fruit and malt sweetness and herbal hops and a slight lingering bitterness.

Very smooth and drinkable with a surprisingly rich mouthfeel.

SSBrennan, Jan 03, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a really nice, bright, light head. The head itself seemed to be bubbling, not just sitting there which was interesting. A nice level of carbonation with the bubbles on the bottom climbinb up the side of the glass and those on top rushing quickly to the surface. Average, golden, slightly hazy color, with an aroma like rice krispies. This was my first altbier and it definitely brought me back to my time in Deutschland. I expected a sweeter, deeper malt taste, but this tasted almost like a wheat beer. Good though, I would drink it again but probabl won't buy it for a while.

wiseguy142, Dec 08, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

When poured from its pint bottle to my pint glass, it had an awesome gold color with a bright white head. The aroma was delicate with a sweet malt base and a piney hop scent probably due to the noble hops used (Saaz?).The flavor was delicate with a light body and a dry finish. The piney hop flavor is present during the entire tasting. All and all, it was a light, refreshing, delicate beer. And best of all, it's 100% organic!

RiekerStarBrew, Nov 18, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

i have'nt had an alt in a while ; pours a hazy golden-straw colour w/ a thin white head which dissapates quickly, little lacing ; a hoppy aroma w/ some malty undertones, i get a faint, almost smokey aroma in there too ; a little thin on the flavor, mostly hop w/ a "euro-macro" malt profile, not as malty & rich as some alts i've had ; a light, almost dry palate w/ a good amount of carbonation ; a very drinkable brew, i want to try this one head-head w/ some other alts one day ....

animal69, Nov 11, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a very clear, cloudy color with minimal head. Aroma is light and somewhat malty upfront. Taste is somewhat bitter in front with a lot of malt crispness. It's nice and bready as well. A bit hard to describe but otherwise, I think this is a decent altbier. It's not as dark as other altbiers that I've had and seems more true to the style as well. Regardless, I'll chalk this up as being very drinkable much like the Ur Pils.

Brad007, Oct 14, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Very sleek, old-style bottle. Labeled as organic, with USDA organic stamp on back.

Pours a golden color, with a hazy clarity. Head was slight and dissipated rapidly. Carbonation lasts for a good while.

The smell is raw and tart. A lemony (acidic?). Malt is strong.

The taste is light, and malty. Carbonated bite lends the grain/malt flavor. Sweetness comes in the middle and is a bit fruity. Hops are floral/grassy , and a bit subdued.

Sticky in the throat, and a bit watery. This beer is just not flavorful enough for me. I don't have a lot of Altbier experience, but this doesn't satisfy. However, I don't think this is a poorly constructed beer either. It has plenty of depth and complexity. Just not my cup o' tea. But all in all very drinkable beer.

Freshie, Sep 25, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

It pours from 500ml bottle a clear light gold with a fairly large head of foam. After the second pour, the brew becomes cloudy and the head of foam is more substantial and longer lasting. I've got 2 finger foam in my glass right now and it's not shrinking at all. Nice.

The smell is malty and hoppy. Neither is more dominant than the other.

The taste starts of with some malt but then the hops move in and that's on the citrusy side. This is a very delicate beer and in order for me to get the most flavour out of it, I have to swish it back and forth in my mouth. *That's* when this Alt starts to shine. I get some real earthy notes from the malt as well as some sweet caramel and the hops subside to a point where they're just giving the beer the slightest bit of bitter and semi sour character. I miss the fine nuances when I just sip and swallow.

Overall? I think a lot of the flavour with this Alt will be missed if you just sip or drink and swallow but I find that swishing it in your mouth just a few times will help you recognize what's going on here when you return to sipping/drinking. Just something that I find from my experience. Ymmv. Bottom line: I really like this Alt and I hope to try some more of the style in the not too distant future.

Bitterbill, Aug 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

I had this beer at Mr. Moto's in Burlington IA, poured from a standard German 0.5L bottle. The beer was much lighter in color than I expected for an Altbier, it was crystal clear and golden colored. The aroma was malty, a little like a muted wort smell, very promising. The flavor was almost all malts, slightly sweet, nothing offensive but nothing too strong either. Very easy for a variety of palates I would guess, almost like a strong Kolsch. Very nice sessionable beer.

TurdFurgison, Aug 10, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -8%

A-Poured into glass. Nice golden color looks like many of the macro beers, but has a nicer head that goes down rather quickly and laces quite nicely

S- A very faint and fresh caramel cedar spiciness.

T- Uber refreshing with hints of cherry and a wheaty-caramel flavors and a little reminiscent of baked apples with a muted hoppy bite at the end. Leaves the mouth pleasantly dry.

M- Light bodied, carbonation. Es ist mittelmäßig!

D-This beer seems to have more aspects to it than I can glean. I'll want to try it again when my tasters have improved.

baos, Jul 29, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a light golden like a pilsener with a decent fluffy eggshell head. A small ammount of bubbles float to the top which do not really sustain the head. Lacing is very nice as sheets of foam stick to the glass as you raise it.

S-There is a spicyness here, coriander, pepper and a bt of whitebread.

T-more of that spicyness with a bit of floral type of hops and a nice sweetness to balnce. Aftertaste is somewhat minimal but is dry. The yeast comes through slightly and produces some slightly funky flavours, maybe some fruit. As it warms some of that proper old beer flavour comes through that I have enjoyed in other alts. That sort of twang comes through and makes this pretty pleasant

M-Light bodied, subtle carbonation. Pleasant enough.

D-This is a good beer but I kind of am a little bit at a loss as to what to make of it. It is much lighter than all other alts I have had and has a similar taste to the other beers in Pinkus' lineup. An interesting beer nonetheless and one I probably will get again to explore further.

sleazo, Jul 28, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle into tulip glass.

I haven't had many altbiers, so this is a pretty raw assessment. A: Light gold, pretty clear, light puffy head that died down after a minute or two. Very clean. S: A lot going on here, very sweet but a lot of dry grains on top. T: A bit thin at first, but it really comes alive after a moment. Grains, citrus, floral qualities. Very nice. M: Very smooth, moderate carbonation. D: I could drink this beer all night. It's been a very hot summer so I've been looking for some interesting lighter beers, and this fits the bill nicely.

PlaywrightSam, Jun 30, 2007