Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Organic Münster AltOrganic Münster Alt

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden stereotypical lager look with ample bubbles and a white head that falls down quick but sticks around for most of the drink drink before falling apart.

Grain, earth, honey, yeastiness, grass, and lemon.

Lots of grain the flavor. The earthiness also plays a big role in the flavor. It's got some breadiness to it. There is some subdued lemon flavour as well.

Light to medium body and crisp. There is a mild tartness about it. Slightly drying.

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As I poured this I was thinking "This is an Alt?". The color was way off, imo. It was a medium to light golden color, with some chill haze. I was expecting something more copper-hued. The head was bright white, fine and creamy, though, with so-so lacing. I found the nose to display mostly hops, and in sort of a grassy type of fashion, too. I found no hints of any malt in the nose. The body was leaning towards medium, yet not quite there; a fine carbonation produced a foamy, creamy feel on the tongue. As in the nose, I found no maltiness to speak of in the taste, either. It was predominantly a grassy, slightly floral hoppiness. This tasted more like a Munchner Helles to me, imho. Granted, it's not bad, yet nothing like I was expecting!

As a sidebar, after posting my review I read others. I noticed MississaugaMatt mentioned that this is in the "Munster" Alt style. Is that a recognized sub-category? If so, what are the parameters? I judged this solely by the Dusseldorf Alt parameters and personal experience drinking that style of Alt. Vielen Dank!!

Furthermore, I just consulted a Michael Jackson bier book, and he mentions that this bier is definitely much different from the Dusseldorf style, and made with 40% wheat to boot....

overall: 3.4
appearance: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Served in a small thin cylindrical "alt" glass. Poured a hazy yellow with a big head that dissipated rapidly leaving nice lacing. Had a slight citrusy aroma with malty undertone, nice mouth feel with a taste that was at once mildly citrus with hints of wheat and malt and a short dry finish, not at all like Frankenheim, Uerige, nor Ad Astra ( Ah I miss Free State). Definitely worth another try. I think I will grab another.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a pale straw color with a small white head and very little lacing.

S- grainy and malty, straw, and a bit of faint hops. Pretty earthy.

T- grainy malts, with a very earthy, barn yard like taste. Tastes like a tangy straw, meets forest floor. Finishes with just a bit hops linger.

M- light body, medium-high carbonation, crisp.

O- an interesting beer, very earthy and raw. I don't know of the organic part has anything to do with that but it's definitely intererting.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into stange.

A - Slightly hazy, bright yellow. Two fingers of white head have decent retention before falling to a thick collar with a thin film. Moderate lacing also.

S - Biscuity, bready, and quite sweet. Lots of helles lager elements. Some metallic aroma is noted along with grassy and somewhat floral hops.

T - Extremely bready backbone and overall sort of bland with a modest sweetness. Suggestions of lemon juice and chalk try to break through but are never full realized. Some grassy/borderline floral hop character appears mid to late palate. Slight graininess and a smidge of bitterness enter late palate with an extremely clean finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with a very soft, almost nonexistent carbonation. It's actually a little strange feeling as I'd expect this beer to be a little more crisp.

D - A refreshing, thirst quenching beer. I'd like to see some more character in Munster Alt, as it's bland enough to drink quickly and easily without having to spend too much time pondering over the flavor. Overall a decent beer reminiscent of southern German pale lagers.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a .5L bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is yellow, Good carbonation, nice head 2 finger white, and good lace.

The smell is faint, with a fruity lemonish twang.

The taste is ok but not quite what I was expecting, seems to be out of style, A little citric, fruity. Malt and hops are not standing out.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium body, carbonation is ave.

The drinkability is not so great, I would try it again, but I will not seek it out. MK

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Pinkus Organic Münster Alt

Bottle Inspection: Brown 500 ml bottle certified organic, not much else to report.

Aroma: Sweet floral nose with noble hop earthiness blending with a light wet grain. Bit of a bready yeast character too.

Appearance: Dark golden yellow with a trace of thin white head and collar that give up some short lived lace, but not much.

Flavor: Definite "German" quality to it that I'm guessing is either the noble hops or the yeast strain, probably the combination. A fruit taste, pear mostly, hints of bubblegum, and lightly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: The grainy texture really pushes the pear experience, otherwise medium light body with a slightly syrupy feel.

Overall Impression: Good beer, not really refreshing or filling, good middle of the road beer. Great taste for an organic beer, most the others I've tasted have issues, this is just good beer.
Worth a try

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer poured out with a huge ivory head that was tightly built over a hazy apricot colored body. The head tended to depart rather quickly, but it left behind great lace deposits from the filmy residue head. A very good looking beer. The nose seemed to build as the head lowered and the beer warmed. Mostly it gave off scents of malt and yeasty breadiness from the medium bodied brew. Very creamy and mild. The taste is mostly sweet malt with some light graininess. Also some grassy notes. Finishes somewhat tart and has a long aftertaste that is bitter in the front.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

My first alt brew, so I gonna review with a grain of salt. I read the style characteristics, so here we go:

Hazy lemon yellow pour, foamy white head, some lacing.
Aroma: lemons and grass, both weak
Taste: Hmmm. Again, lemon and grass to start, very subtle and unremarkable. This style seems awfully thin – almost like lemon soda water. Would make a decent summer brew, but deep in Nov. it lacks backbone and character. The Pinky may be a good rep. of the alt, but this is something I’m not going to go after.

A different alt is needed for comparison.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From a 500ml brown Euro bottle, red label, no freshness date.

Pours out a light chill hazed golden honey colour, small dash of white head that recedes to a thin film. Cut grass and hay on the nose, along with some faint bready malt, and just as faint metallic grain. The flavour starts out with some light malt, more grainy and dry in the middle, blending into a hop finish akin to thick wet grass, and somewhat floral. The aftertaste is sticky but dry, it coats the palate yet still has something of a parching effect. A fairly light altbier, but enjoyable for what it is. I'm not craving another, nor do I have any major plans to run out and buy more, but it's one of the more decent organic beers that I've sampled, it has it's own small charm.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Cloudy yellow almost light orange body with a small white head.

S- Light sweet honey malts, almost a strawlike aroma.

T- Honeyed malts, very light malts almost seem watered down, a touch of light hop presence like a bit of spice. Light lemon which gives a refreshing quality to this brew.

M- Very light body, highly carbonated.

O- Decent alt, Ive had much better, would pass this up if I saw it again.

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%

I'm not too experienced in Alts, and the last one I had was very different from this one, so take the review with a grain of salt.

A- Pours pale yellow with a head that foams like the sea. Small amount of lacing, but not much.

S- A little light lemon, slight oxidation, sharper huskiness.

T- Lemon flavor is really prominent on this one. The malt is light and coarse at the same time in an interesting way. Good but somewhat one dimensional.

M- Quite dry, but lingering. I do like the way this beer feels in the mouth, if only because it's different.

D- Interesting but not earth shattering. I'm curious to see what the rest of their organic line up is like.

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz bottle.

Pours incredibly light..nearly colorless. Wasn't quite what I was expecting there.. Decent head retention despite the somewhat fizzy head. Very grassy/herbal aroma of light hops and a strong wheat character. The taste is very wheaty and almost corrosive on the palate...very grainy mouthfeel. A somewhat refreshing light alt from Germany, but overall, nothing too spectacular..and I couldn't care less about the whole "organic" thing.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours with a rocky, lacy white head over clear yellow/straw-clored liquid. Maltiness dominates the nose. Crisp malt flavor tasted with a snappy hint of tartness just bubbling under. Very little, if any, hop bitterness tasted. Finishes slightly dry...that's all, folks!

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light haze in a golden mustard body. Light, soft guazey-white head. Peppery, tangy barley malt. Wet hay, buttered oatmeal. Interesting. Tangy hay and oats. Dry. Sourdough bread. Yeasty, getting slightly bitter into the long, semi-acidic finish. A little too tart? Light to medium bodied with a refreshing, crisp, dry feel. Not bad, and nice that it’s organic.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Opaque gold, lighter than I expected. Bright white head of 1/4 inch and small bubble sizes. Sheets on the Imperial pint glass. Whopping malted chocolate milk aroma, like a Dairy Queen malt dessert or something. Flowery and nutty flavors, lots of cashew and a lot of persistant mouthfeel for style. While there is bit of hoppiness, its more like a seedy skin bitterness that permeates the sweet side from middle to finish. Not a dry finish at all, lots of aftertaste. Seems a lot bigger in profile than many Alts, you can either like it or go the other way.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

I tried this the same day that I had Copper Creek's excellent alt. This isn't bad, but it doesn't hold up with the Athens, Ga., brewpub's take on the style. This is a little paler and has less of a hop bite, but it still doesn't fall into the realm of just another crappy beer called alt.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is decent. It is a bit musty with a lemony zest. It boasts of pale malts and yeast. The taste is fine. It is light and pale with a yeasty finish. It is dry and a bit musty. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with a little too much carbonation. It drinks a little above average, but this is nothing special. Yeah, yeah it's organic. That's cool, but what's the use if the beer is sub-par.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a very clear, cloudy color with minimal head. Aroma is light and somewhat malty upfront. Taste is somewhat bitter in front with a lot of malt crispness. It's nice and bready as well. A bit hard to describe but otherwise, I think this is a decent altbier. It's not as dark as other altbiers that I've had and seems more true to the style as well. Regardless, I'll chalk this up as being very drinkable much like the Ur Pils.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

I think it was funny that this beer was labeled as organic. Almost every craft beer uses higher quality ingredients.

Overall this was a very drinkable beer. None of the flavors are too challenging or over-the-top distinct. You get caramel notes and some hef quality. I get a little bit of banana.

Pinkus was decent, but I am not really going out of my way to get another bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I tried this alongside a Pinkus Hefe-Weizen and found many similar characteristics between the two. The Alt is a cloudy amber with a sticky head that lasts all the way down the glass. Aroma is mostly bready but with a decent hit of citrus, but the citrus really overpowers in the taste: way too much orange for me in this style, almost to the point of tasting like a cough drop. Bitterness is quite present, which cuts the sweetness somewhat. In fact, this had more bitterness than other Alt biers I've tried, but in a pleasant way. Not bad, but probably not something I'll try again.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

First off, it doesn't look like an alt, I'm used to Hannen and Kutscher alt, instead of the usual dark amber it is a cloudy pale gold.

Like I've said before, my nose doesn't work too good so I can't comment on the smell.(no, I'm not a coke head).

Now it comes to taste. It doesn't taste like the alts I'm used to, but it's still a pretty tasty beer, not something I'd drink on a regular occasion but a not unpleasant change of pace.

I don't know, I lived in K-Town so maybe there is a difference between southern and northern alts but for an alt, I much prefer a Hannen to the Pinkus.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pretty pour. A hazy orange beer that sparkles and then explodes into a bright white head that sticks around.

Smells like plums and overripe fruit. It's a very intense smell but not complicated.

Tastes...different. Yeast and malt upfront. Plums giving way to a strong, very juicy taste of generic fruit that disolves into a bitter lemon in the back. Complex and different, and nicely balanced, but not really my cup of tea. Too sweet in strange ways.

Nice body and it goes down smooth.

From what I've heard, this beer really varies from bottle to bottle. If I ever come across it again, I might give it another try. Until then, it's just a rather MOR import.

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours straw yellow with two finger white head. A little light for a Dusseldorf Alt? Perhaps in Munster Alts are lighter in color. Nice floral aroma. I detect some butterscotch and citrus in the taste. Malt is medium and finishes with a nice citrus bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability good. I could drink several of these-good for a warm summer niight.

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller