Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
Ratings: 363 | Reviews: 266
3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Hazy straw yellow pour out of the 500ml bottle with a couple fingers of fluffy white head. Has some sweet banana yeast on the nose, but then the smell of a musty barn enters. Faint hops in the aroma and taste. A bit of lemon-like tartness mixed in with a touch of sweetness. This beer just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real familiar with this style, so I may have to come back to this at a later date.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin, white head. Smell is grainy and wheaty. Taste is also wheaty, very tart, with a large citrus flavor as well. Very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly prickly carbonation. Pretty drinkable though, I would drink this again. I think this is the first Altbier I've had, its OK, but I suspect there may be better examples out there.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: pours a hazy pale yellow color with a 2" head. The head quickly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: grassy - no more like a freshly mowed lawn after a spring rain.

Taste: biscuity and grainy, with loads of grass tones and lemon / grapefruit citrus. Very dry.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The dryness is most noticeable by the tongue. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not the altbier I expected. Average drinkability as this is too grassy and dry. This is an example that organic may not always be the better choice.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Though it is a good beer, I don't think that it fits the style. I expected a deep copper - amber color. Instead, I got a hazy golden - copper hue. Has good head retention and lacing. Aromas are beady and citrusy. Thought I expect mild fruit aromas, I don't expect the tart citrus notes. Flavors are the same. the lemon-ey character over-rides the medium malt profile. The hops add a spiciness the the beer that is not expected. Though I like hop bittering in an Alt, I don't go for the spices here. The yeasty flavors take on a Belgian 'twang' , leaving the beer less clean than in most alts. The body is medim and a tad bit astringent. Finishes far too dry for an Alt, but crisp and fairly clean. Again, good beer, but not an Alt.

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates to a very thin cap. This doesn't look like what I think an alt should look like.

S - Smells of earthy malts, with a crisp, very slight hop backing. This smells very "German," if that makes sense... probably from either noble or hallertau hops? Also, a faint pear/cider like aroma pulls through, maybe a result of a cross atlantic trip?

T - Bready malt is very assertive up front, and this is good. A sweet, fruity hop character comes through towards the very dry finish. Still getting a sour, pear-like characteristic.

M&D - Extremely carbonated, and not the smooth, creamy, yet light mouthfeel I love about alts. Pretty weird. However, I could see myself drinking this in the summertime, but over a good hefe or german or czech pils or lager...?

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis..

2.97/5  rDev -18%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden.

2.97/5  rDev -18%

Errr...I'm not entirely sure what I'm drinking here. The front and neck label simply say "Original Pinkus" but the back label says "Pinkus Alt." It looks and tastes like a pilsner. It has the body and mouthfeel of a pilsner. The smell is a bit more maltier than a pilsner, but all in all this really reminds of Czechvar.

I don't know...maybe this isn't the Alt, maybe I got a mislabelled bottle, but this really seems like a pilsner.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

altbier my foot!?! ... very pale gold... some foam but low .. some nice flavours, honey lychee- kinda of intriguing ... again, if this is an altbier, i'd be very surprised- i am not an altbier expert but it seems like a light version .. a decent enjoyable beer but nothing like i expected..

Pour from 17 oz bottle

A-Little head on top of golden beer. Carbonation very apparent bubbling up side of glass
S-Sweeter malts, wheat
T-Bready Pilsner without as much hop bite. Kind of a strange sweet taste to me. Hard to describe-Some interesting flavors but not when put in combo together
M-Decent mouth, not too much carbonation
D-Just didn't enjoy it enough to order more than one, but wouldn't turn down one offered.

Overall, probably just not a style for me, but i'm glad I sampled it.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Ahhh! The last surviving member of the Muenster Alts -- a style nearly killed by the Lager revolution, as well as the Pasteur revolution.

If this is what the style was, then I say good-riddance. It suffers from being 'not enough' in oh so many ways.

It pours a pleasant straw yellow, tainted by a pinch of chill-haze with a bubbly head that quickly collapses.

It smells very faint. This will be the beer's trademark. Faint and not enough.

The taste follows the smell. It is incredibly watery with a strong blast of nutty light munich mingling with a hint of wheat. This would be good if it weren't so dilute -- it is like a Helles mixed with seltzer water. Then there is a nice sour bite, but once again, far too muted to really make an impression, followed by a rather unpleasant soapy taste. If either the malt mix were toned up, or the sourness increased, I think this could be a very good beer. But they aren't, so I'm left with glorified dishwater.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned, is very watery and razor thin. If there were more carbonation, this could be rescued. But there isn't.

Drinkability: Why wouldn't I grab a Helles or a Berliner Weiss instead of this beer? This beer has aspects of both (and they are both styles I love) but it manages to do them very poorly.

Like the Gose, I think this is a style of beer best left to the history books.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Incredibly cloudy golden colour, with a rocky head of pure white, extremely fine carbonation. Bubbles are obscenely fine, almost like powder as it forms. Body is light and fine. Looks decent.

Nose is bright, but slightly yeasty, with honeyed organic characters, giving a fresh but sweetly underfermented oomph the the aroma. Smells either slightly too sweet or slightly too strong. Either makes me feel uncomfortable.

Taste is crisper and lighter, and it drags it back to the realms of sensibility. There's still certainly a big robust sweetness that gives it an unpleasant malt character, but there's at least a crispness to it that lends it sharp maltiness. Still, there's very little balance, and it's too sweet, but it's at least better than I expected.

Too sweet. To be honest I'm far from a fan, and I don't believe it's a particularly good alt. It's smooth and somewhat drinkable, but depressing in it's expressibility.

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured a murky brownish tan, with a few rather scary sediment chunks drifting about. Not nearly enough heft to the malt, the beer leaned in the direction of a thin astrigency. I kept waiting for the flavor in this beer to get up and do something, but it seemed content to languish in mediocrity. No punch of any kind from the hops, and the malt just had no horsepower.

2.82/5  rDev -22.1%

presented in a pinkus pilsner glass. not surprisingly, looks like a pilsner and has good retention. it's aroma is slightly malty, but not overpowering.

the taste is quite malty and it feels bubbly, almost foamy, in your mouth. i tasted a trace of grape and just a little bitterness in the finish. don't get me wrong, though: this beer is all about the malt.

is this classified as an alt simply because of the brewing and conditioning methods? if you are looking for the typical düsseldorf style, look elsewhere. the beer is interesting enough for a taste, but it wasn't enjoyable enough for me to keep drinking. an interesting brew, nonetheless.

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From: Binny's, Schaumburg, IL
Date: None on bottle
Glass: Ayinger willi glass

While I'm not familiar with what differentiates a Munster Alt and a Dusseldorf Alt other than the usage of wheat malt giving the beer a more pale appearance and less-pronounced caramel malt flavors, based upon this sample, I generally think I'd choose the Dusseldorf representation. While my bottle clearly had some age to it, I still found the uncomplicated and light malt flavors to be not entirely satisfying. There's also little to suggest that this would be a world-class beer even when fresh. Without bottled-on dates being available, I wouldn't consider purchasing this again.

Pours a 1.5cm tall head of fairly clean, white bubbles, which are small to medium in size, resulting in a fairly non-compact mass of foam. Retention is around one minute, average for the style, the foam settling to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass and a large island of thin, residual foam atop the body. Lacing is very modest, a few small dots remain affixed to the inner sides of the glass. The body is pale, dirty tan-brown color, with light bringing out a pale yellow-orange hue; this is the lightest alt I have seen. Carbonation is not visible through the hazy (50% opaque) body.

Aroma is mildly sweet, of light caramel malts with bread yeast, a touch of diacetyl and vegetal like hop usage.

The overall flavor combination is of light caramel malts with very modest hints of toasted nuts and mulch and herb-like hops; fairly one-dimensional and uninteresting. Front of palate notes light caramelized malt sugars with a hint of toasted nuts. The mid-palate notes an increase in caramel malt flavor and sweetness, the modest appearance of bread yeast, slighty mulch-like and herbal hops, and a continued faint hint of toasted nuts. Back of palate primarily features light caramelized malt sugars with pale malt sugars (Pilsner?) as well. Aftertaste reminds one of watered-down Grape Nuts cereal, perhaps indicating some percentage of Munich malt in the grain bill.

Beer is medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium-low intensity, resulting in a light, smooth, and slightly foamy mouthfeel that actually complements the body's weight quite well. Closes semi-dry, with little to no residual stickiness clinging to the mouth.

2.77/5  rDev -23.5%

oxidized and no head. color was not what i was expecting slightly sweet, nutty and fruity.
Nice medium bodied beer, but the typical alt color was missing this beer is a yellow peach color, not the typical brownish porter color of the dusseldorfer alt which I am accustomed to enjoying.
I may have gotten an old beer. I'll certainly keep my out for it in the future and give it another try. Clearly they are doing something right by the other reviews. I fear I just got a bad bottle of this stuff.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Quite a lovely pile of suds on the hazed yellow brew. Wet cardboard aroma with some European hop notes. The whiff of the faintly skunky European hops is there too. Sprightly but watery in the mouth.

Taste is bready with some fruity sourish notes. An old fruit taste. Some sweet malt with a touch of oxidation. Persistent metallic aftertaste is the last straw for me. From the 500 ml bottle purchased at Whidbey Beer Works in Oak Harbor for $3.00.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

500 ml bottle. No date. Pours golden with a larg head the rapidly disapates. More kolsch aromas than what I would expect from an alt. Apples and flowers. The kolsch come though in the flavor also. Very crisp apple notes. Tangy. Slightly bitter. Medium body and high carbonation make this beer prickly over the tounge. Flavor leaves quickly. This is not what I expected. Not really an alt that I’m familiar with.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer is yellow, with a fizzy white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Really I though Altbiers are supposed to be darker. This looks like a lager.

This smells like a pilsner to me. Grassy and hoppy. A little bit of soapiness to it.

The taste is tart and a bit acidic. Fruity in spots and grassy in other spots. The finish may have just a bit of ginger to it. Doesn't taste bad, but what lingers isn't all that nice.

There isn't much body, perhaps a bit of an oily feel, and the carbonation is prickly on the lips and tongue. Not for savoring.

Even though there isn't much good about this one, it still goes down alright. Perhaps a fair weather beer, however I won't be after this one again.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours with a two-fingered white head that fades slowly and leaves some lace. Low carbonation. Slightly cloudy amber color but no chunky bits. Nose is slightly hoppy. Starts with a hoppy dryness and leaves with an aftertaste that has a slight bitterness. To be honest I find it boring. Light bodied. $3.89 for a 500ml bottle.

2.67/5  rDev -26.2%

500 ML bottle>massive mug

AP: A pale golden color with a mild white hazed effect, very macro-lager-ish with a small, thin all-white head that displays some decent retention and a bit of lacing.

Nose: There's a slightly sweet roasted barley and-wheat smell with a mild yeast and bready effect. some minor herbalized hop scent way down deep.

Taste: A watery and slightly sweet malted wheat taste that is rather thin lager-like. There's a yeastie and bready effect, but is not nearly complex or deep enough to keep my taste buds happy. Much, much thinner and weaker than most good Altbiers that I've had.

MF: This feels very lively and active but thin and forgetable.

DA: Another, not-so-good organic offering. I was really routing for this one to be decent. I expected an Alt and got a thin American Macro Lager. Oh well.

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours easily with an almost three-finger thick, pale, just barely tanned, off-white colored head. The beer is a murky gold color that shows an only lightly hazed, bright, pale gold color when held up to the light. The aroma is noticeable spicy as I pour this, though it seems to be a bit more grassy / hay like with grain notes upon deeper inspection. This is definitely interesting smelling, spicy & grain-like, but somehow in a stale grain sort of way. It almost has a savory herbal note to it, somewhat earthy and definitely reminiscent of funky whole grain notes. I am not sure I really dig the aroma of this beer, but I wouldn't say I dislike it either.

Spicy and a bit peppery from a decent carbonation. The beer is very thin bodied, so much so that it almost seems to develop a tartness. This finishes with a light bitterness and graininess that is both grassy as well as a bit like stale crackers. Other flavors of earthy herbs, perhaps a touch of DMS and some green apple like flavors (especially towards the finish). There is not a whole lot of complexity to this beer and for some reason even the flavors I have mentioned have bee hard to pull out.

Really not a very good beer, it might be a bit past its prime, but many of the flavors don't really seem attributable to oxidation; a bottle date would have been really nice as I just bought this. This really just seems poorly constructed.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

500ml bottle from Gourmet Haus Staudt. Straw colored with some haziness. The head doesn't stick around long on this one, receding in minutes to a thin film. Smells very fruity, but it's hard to place - persimmon maybe? A bit of tartness, citrus zest, light bready malt and a bit of aspirin. Similar on the palate, ambiguously fruity with a touch of lemony tartness and orange peel. Fairly sweet, and lacking the bitter finish I'd expect from an alt (or any finish to speak of, actually - it just falls off the palate). Finishes with an aspirin-like flavor that puts me off. The body is thin and carbonation a bit too low. Pretty mediocre, though it goes down easily enough.

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller