Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

I tried this the same day that I had Copper Creek's excellent alt. This isn't bad, but it doesn't hold up with the Athens, Ga., brewpub's take on the style. This is a little paler and has less of a hop bite, but it still doesn't fall into the realm of just another crappy beer called alt.

aracauna, May 10, 2003
3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a very clear, cloudy color with minimal head. Aroma is light and somewhat malty upfront. Taste is somewhat bitter in front with a lot of malt crispness. It's nice and bready as well. A bit hard to describe but otherwise, I think this is a decent altbier. It's not as dark as other altbiers that I've had and seems more true to the style as well. Regardless, I'll chalk this up as being very drinkable much like the Ur Pils.

Brad007, Oct 14, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is decent. It is a bit musty with a lemony zest. It boasts of pale malts and yeast. The taste is fine. It is light and pale with a yeasty finish. It is dry and a bit musty. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with a little too much carbonation. It drinks a little above average, but this is nothing special. Yeah, yeah it's organic. That's cool, but what's the use if the beer is sub-par.

WesWes, Feb 20, 2004
3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Pinkus glass on 2/12/13

Dimmed golden straw color; rather clear. A one inch head of white, crackling foam is fed by constantly rising bubbles. Smooth, thinner retention. No lace.

Grass, straw, hay, floral and herbal hops are prominent in the aroma. Smells mildly spicy, too; maybe a little allspice? Toasted grains with a hint of biscuit.

The taste is similarly sharp in terms of the herbal grassiness of the hops; though it tames of time. There are some light juicy overtones especially in the middle. The malt bill is concise and dry. Biscuity malt fills out toward the end.

Light, juicy body with smooth, easy going carbonation. Grass notes linger on the finish.

I think this is my first proper German Alt. Pretty well enjoyable.

Ryan011235, Feb 21, 2013
3.33/5  rDev -8%

Opaque gold, lighter than I expected. Bright white head of 1/4 inch and small bubble sizes. Sheets on the Imperial pint glass. Whopping malted chocolate milk aroma, like a Dairy Queen malt dessert or something. Flowery and nutty flavors, lots of cashew and a lot of persistant mouthfeel for style. While there is bit of hoppiness, its more like a seedy skin bitterness that permeates the sweet side from middle to finish. Not a dry finish at all, lots of aftertaste. Seems a lot bigger in profile than many Alts, you can either like it or go the other way.

ADR, May 11, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -8%

A-Poured into glass. Nice golden color looks like many of the macro beers, but has a nicer head that goes down rather quickly and laces quite nicely

S- A very faint and fresh caramel cedar spiciness.

T- Uber refreshing with hints of cherry and a wheaty-caramel flavors and a little reminiscent of baked apples with a muted hoppy bite at the end. Leaves the mouth pleasantly dry.

M- Light bodied, carbonation. Es ist mittelmäßig!

D-This beer seems to have more aspects to it than I can glean. I'll want to try it again when my tasters have improved.

baos, Jul 29, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pinkus Organic Munster Alt pours a hazy golden color with a white head. Mild, malty aroma. Taste definitely tends to the malty side, some metallic taste present but not too distracting. I like this compared to the other Alt beers I've had, its not as intensely malty, and quite drinkable, more drinkable than the other Alts I've had, perhaps, I think because it is a lower alcohol than the others. Worth a try.

Drew966, May 24, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light haze in a golden mustard body. Light, soft guazey-white head. Peppery, tangy barley malt. Wet hay, buttered oatmeal. Interesting. Tangy hay and oats. Dry. Sourdough bread. Yeasty, getting slightly bitter into the long, semi-acidic finish. A little too tart? Light to medium bodied with a refreshing, crisp, dry feel. Not bad, and nice that it’s organic.

alexgash, Mar 03, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Oct 24, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -8%

I think it was funny that this beer was labeled as organic. Almost every craft beer uses higher quality ingredients.

Overall this was a very drinkable beer. None of the flavors are too challenging or over-the-top distinct. You get caramel notes and some hef quality. I get a little bit of banana.

Pinkus was decent, but I am not really going out of my way to get another bottle.

ummswimmin, Nov 06, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours straw yellow with two finger white head. A little light for a Dusseldorf Alt? Perhaps in Munster Alts are lighter in color. Nice floral aroma. I detect some butterscotch and citrus in the taste. Malt is medium and finishes with a nice citrus bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability good. I could drink several of these-good for a warm summer niight.

bradybeer, Sep 20, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this one in a trade with stephenlouis. thanks stephen!

the label on this one doesn't quite match the picture. it says "original pinkus obergarig" and "pinkus alt" on the back, so i think it's the same one.

pours a pale straw yellow with a bit of pure white head. quickly drops and leaves no lace behind.

aroma is ok. corn and dms, but not overpowering. not much else to it though.

taste is ok. fairly plain and simple. hint of bitterness. little dms. touch of biscuity malt. hint of spicy hops. decent, but not wowing me.

mouthfeel is good. it's light and has a fairly low well integrated carbonation.

dirnkability is ok. at first the aroma threw me off, but it's a decent and enjoyable beer.

grub, Nov 22, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

I tried this alongside a Pinkus Hefe-Weizen and found many similar characteristics between the two. The Alt is a cloudy amber with a sticky head that lasts all the way down the glass. Aroma is mostly bready but with a decent hit of citrus, but the citrus really overpowers in the taste: way too much orange for me in this style, almost to the point of tasting like a cough drop. Bitterness is quite present, which cuts the sweetness somewhat. In fact, this had more bitterness than other Alt biers I've tried, but in a pleasant way. Not bad, but probably not something I'll try again.

gfreed, Jun 26, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Pretty pour. A hazy orange beer that sparkles and then explodes into a bright white head that sticks around.

Smells like plums and overripe fruit. It's a very intense smell but not complicated.

Tastes...different. Yeast and malt upfront. Plums giving way to a strong, very juicy taste of generic fruit that disolves into a bitter lemon in the back. Complex and different, and nicely balanced, but not really my cup of tea. Too sweet in strange ways.

Nice body and it goes down smooth.

From what I've heard, this beer really varies from bottle to bottle. If I ever come across it again, I might give it another try. Until then, it's just a rather MOR import.

mynie, Feb 03, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy golden lemon cloud color with long lasting foamy head. The bubbles are moderately tight on top and larger and more soapy looking further down. Tastes of a lemon haze - pilser/hefe mix. Notes of lemon, sweet vanilla and plain graham cracker. Nicely drinkable.

dhilltop2000, Aug 20, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

jettjon, Jun 02, 2007
3.26/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My first altbier! Pours murky dark yellow with a small white quickly receding head. Aroma of sweetly tart cherries, some alcohol, not much else. Flavor is sweet up front with the cherry and honey, then fades into pilsner malt characteristics. Light and lots of carbonation, so would be fine for a hot day. Overall, a small step up from a pale lager if you ask me. Meh.

BMMillsy, Oct 11, 2013

StephRai, Saturday at 04:39 AM
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

The pour was a light yellow with quite alot of haze. Had a one finger head that quickly dissapated and left nothing.

The smell was quite fruity and sweet.

The drink started with a mineral water taste followed by a slight hop bite. It finished with a clean water, nothing lingered.

Not a bad beer, but in my opinion it's just not an alt. I'm not really sure how to classify this one. It is a quite drinkable and refreshing beer, but to me it's just mis-labled.

coasterfreak75, Jul 15, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a really nice, bright, light head. The head itself seemed to be bubbling, not just sitting there which was interesting. A nice level of carbonation with the bubbles on the bottom climbinb up the side of the glass and those on top rushing quickly to the surface. Average, golden, slightly hazy color, with an aroma like rice krispies. This was my first altbier and it definitely brought me back to my time in Deutschland. I expected a sweeter, deeper malt taste, but this tasted almost like a wheat beer. Good though, I would drink it again but probabl won't buy it for a while.

wiseguy142, Dec 08, 2007

DerwinWentworth, Sep 18, 2012

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 14, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I just noticed this beer at the downtown Spec's in Houston, so I HAD to pick one up since AltBier is one of my all time favorite styles. I hope that this one leans toward Duesseldorf.

Appearance: Pours the lightest color i have ever seen an Altbier. It looks more like a koelsch being slightly cloudy with a small white head that maintains as a small cap and reserved lacing.

Aroma: I initially got some sweet toasty malt with some light caramel notes and a bit of metallic. The hops are coming out more after the beer has sat for a few minutes and is taking the place of the metallic in the aroma. Some dry biscuity aromatics coming out as the beer sits further. The hops are playing a very supporting role in this beer, and the aroma is a bit more reminiscent of a Helles than an Altbier. So far, this beer is all over the map.

Taste: There is a little more bittering in the flavor than the aroma suggested. The malt is still the main player and there is a bit of sharpness to it as if they sparged the grain too hot. The toasty notes are the biggest player, but the hops are noticeable. The carbonation is quite low and the beer is medium to light bodied, so this makes it come across the palate quite watery. The finish has some hops, but is owned by the malty sweetness and toasty notes.

Opinion: Unfortunately I was disappointed in this beer in that I was really hoping for an Altbier. This is not that. It is a pretty decent German beer, but not even a Northern Alt would work here as it is too light and has too much of some things and not enough of others. It is an OK session beer nonetheless, but the fact that it is grainy makes it a bit hard to just sit and drink. I have one more bottle of this beer that I will drink pretty soon, but I doubt that I will be buying any more of this beer any time soon.

SkeeterHawk, Apr 15, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at KnB Wines near San Diego for $3.99 and served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings.

Served refrigerator cold. Poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. I quite like altbiers.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head of some cream, pretty good thickness, and favorable retention. Colour is a clear pale yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Quite light for an alt. Fairly vibrant. I've seen far better looking beers in the style, but it's generally appealing.

Sm: Lime, lemon, salt, clean malts, artifical lime syrup, vague tequila, fresh citrus, full barley, vague lactic notes, and berry. A very interesting altbier aroma, though elements of it remind me of crappy Spanish lagers. I don't detect wheat at all. I'm intrigued, if suspicious. A pretty strong aroma.

T: Lime, lemon, and even some salt are all there. A bit gose-esque in that sense. Clean malts and full barley lend it some body. Some cream on the open. Lactic tang on the climax. Through it all, maybe a bit of middling wheat in the background. No yeast or alcohol come through. Not subtle or complex, but certainly...different. Alaskan Amber this is not. It's quite fresh - especially in terms of the clean pale malts and the lactic character. I do like it, but I can't place some of the notes. Hopping is background and vague; hardly noticeable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit syrupy from the artificial crap I detect in it. (If it isn't artificial lime, that's even more of a problem. What real ingredient is causing this off-note?). Thickness is acceptable. Decent carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable but largely unremarkable. Worth trying for its intriguing build within the style, but otherwise forgettable. I'm not one to trust the organic health nut craze, and this is evidence of why. I like the freshness and the bold approach to the style, but it never enters any truly remarkable territory. I doubt I'd get it again.

High C+

kojevergas, Oct 09, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fizzy white head into a weizen glass that settles into a thick ring that lasts about halfway through and is gone, never to be seen again. the body has a light haze and is the color of yellow straw. it looks almost thin and lifeless, very dull.
s - acidic and sour like lemons with a little malt graininess.
t - yeast and citrus pervade the front and the finish is very sweet and malty.
m - slick and oily and very thin.
d - forgettable brew, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for this. i'm not too familiar w/ this style but i wasn't impressed w/ this though it did have some good qualities.

GPHarris, May 14, 2007