Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 14, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I just noticed this beer at the downtown Spec's in Houston, so I HAD to pick one up since AltBier is one of my all time favorite styles. I hope that this one leans toward Duesseldorf.

Appearance: Pours the lightest color i have ever seen an Altbier. It looks more like a koelsch being slightly cloudy with a small white head that maintains as a small cap and reserved lacing.

Aroma: I initially got some sweet toasty malt with some light caramel notes and a bit of metallic. The hops are coming out more after the beer has sat for a few minutes and is taking the place of the metallic in the aroma. Some dry biscuity aromatics coming out as the beer sits further. The hops are playing a very supporting role in this beer, and the aroma is a bit more reminiscent of a Helles than an Altbier. So far, this beer is all over the map.

Taste: There is a little more bittering in the flavor than the aroma suggested. The malt is still the main player and there is a bit of sharpness to it as if they sparged the grain too hot. The toasty notes are the biggest player, but the hops are noticeable. The carbonation is quite low and the beer is medium to light bodied, so this makes it come across the palate quite watery. The finish has some hops, but is owned by the malty sweetness and toasty notes.

Opinion: Unfortunately I was disappointed in this beer in that I was really hoping for an Altbier. This is not that. It is a pretty decent German beer, but not even a Northern Alt would work here as it is too light and has too much of some things and not enough of others. It is an OK session beer nonetheless, but the fact that it is grainy makes it a bit hard to just sit and drink. I have one more bottle of this beer that I will drink pretty soon, but I doubt that I will be buying any more of this beer any time soon.

SkeeterHawk, Apr 15, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at KnB Wines near San Diego for $3.99 and served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings.

Served refrigerator cold. Poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. I quite like altbiers.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head of some cream, pretty good thickness, and favorable retention. Colour is a clear pale yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Quite light for an alt. Fairly vibrant. I've seen far better looking beers in the style, but it's generally appealing.

Sm: Lime, lemon, salt, clean malts, artifical lime syrup, vague tequila, fresh citrus, full barley, vague lactic notes, and berry. A very interesting altbier aroma, though elements of it remind me of crappy Spanish lagers. I don't detect wheat at all. I'm intrigued, if suspicious. A pretty strong aroma.

T: Lime, lemon, and even some salt are all there. A bit gose-esque in that sense. Clean malts and full barley lend it some body. Some cream on the open. Lactic tang on the climax. Through it all, maybe a bit of middling wheat in the background. No yeast or alcohol come through. Not subtle or complex, but certainly...different. Alaskan Amber this is not. It's quite fresh - especially in terms of the clean pale malts and the lactic character. I do like it, but I can't place some of the notes. Hopping is background and vague; hardly noticeable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit syrupy from the artificial crap I detect in it. (If it isn't artificial lime, that's even more of a problem. What real ingredient is causing this off-note?). Thickness is acceptable. Decent carbonation.

Dr: Drinkable but largely unremarkable. Worth trying for its intriguing build within the style, but otherwise forgettable. I'm not one to trust the organic health nut craze, and this is evidence of why. I like the freshness and the bold approach to the style, but it never enters any truly remarkable territory. I doubt I'd get it again.

High C+

kojevergas, Oct 09, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

a - poured a three-fingers thick, fizzy white head into a weizen glass that settles into a thick ring that lasts about halfway through and is gone, never to be seen again. the body has a light haze and is the color of yellow straw. it looks almost thin and lifeless, very dull.
s - acidic and sour like lemons with a little malt graininess.
t - yeast and citrus pervade the front and the finish is very sweet and malty.
m - slick and oily and very thin.
d - forgettable brew, i'm glad i didn't have to pay for this. i'm not too familiar w/ this style but i wasn't impressed w/ this though it did have some good qualities.

GPHarris, May 14, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Hazy pale-gold hue, white fluffy head, reaches a modest half finger, held well. Unorganized lace. The nose is aromatic… I just don’t think I like the smell. Funky and tart, earthy, raw sweetness that’s muted. Odd. The palate has raw sweetness, like fresh honey, lemony-tart with noticeable wheaty taste too. There is a strong acidic bite. The maltiness is weak. Odd but it was okay to drink. The hops are more available as it warmed, an improvement. Medium body. Indifferent carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. I can’t say I’d recommend this one. I prefer the Dusseldorf-style of Alt.

bditty187, Sep 08, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a stange.

A: Light golden hue. Heavy carbonation. Pours about a half finger, bubbly, white head. Settles quickly, but not completely. Fair sporadic lacing.

S: Fresh flora, bubble gum, molasses, and a little citrus.

T: Papery malt, with a certain plantlike character.

M: Light and crisp, with a lightly pungent and stale finish.

D: Session if you like.

Atmosphere is pretty solid. Nice hue, decent head, and plenty of lacing. Nose is full and floral. Flavor is of cardboard and fresh hay. Overall, this is a decent quaff.

bmwats, Oct 19, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Very sleek, old-style bottle. Labeled as organic, with USDA organic stamp on back.

Pours a golden color, with a hazy clarity. Head was slight and dissipated rapidly. Carbonation lasts for a good while.

The smell is raw and tart. A lemony (acidic?). Malt is strong.

The taste is light, and malty. Carbonated bite lends the grain/malt flavor. Sweetness comes in the middle and is a bit fruity. Hops are floral/grassy , and a bit subdued.

Sticky in the throat, and a bit watery. This beer is just not flavorful enough for me. I don't have a lot of Altbier experience, but this doesn't satisfy. However, I don't think this is a poorly constructed beer either. It has plenty of depth and complexity. Just not my cup o' tea. But all in all very drinkable beer.

Freshie, Sep 25, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Clear yellow-gold color (with a slight haziness) and a towering white head. The head has decent retention. Cereal grains and a dryish spicy continental hop smell in the aroma. Fleeting veggie smell (didn’t believe it at first). Not terrifically carbonated, and llight to medium mouthfeel. Grassy and hoppy, and a rather dry finish. Pretty good for a spring sipping beer; it is refreshing, but not outstanding.

Suds, Apr 19, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Mellow aroma of sweet breads, lightly spicy. Dark yellow with a huge white creamy top and nice lacing, slow carbonation. Mouthfeel is full and creamy at the very start but finished with a little bit of a thin quality. Flavor is mild and easy on the palate making this alt very drinkable. Slightly sweet with a good breadiness. Enjoyable but slightly better than average.

kinger, Aug 12, 2008

01/21/2010
500 ml. bottle poured into a stange.

A: Pours a light golden/straw-color with 2 inches head. Slightly cloudy. Good carbonation.

S: Some hops and citrus. That's about it...

T: Hops and malt. Really tastes a lot more like a pilsener than anything else. Not too much flavor.

M: Clean and crisp. Goes down easily, but that might also be because it hardly has any taste to it.

D: Not too impressed with this one. Easy to drink, but isn't anything special.

DoppleJock, Jan 22, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

0.5L brown bottle, capped, no date.

This altbier poured a very slightly hazy, golden amber color with creamy, white foam that settled flat. A somewhat unexpected color for an altbier. The smell was very lightly sweet and malty with a bit of biscuit and an aroma somewhat grain-like. The taste was lightly sweet and tangy with an almost corn sweetness. A light hoppiness came through in the finish. There was a hint of floral hops in with the bitter. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium-light body and low carbonation. Not much of an aftertaste. This was a bit of an odd altbier, unlike the typical Düsseldorf style altbiers that I am familiar with.

UncleJimbo, Mar 10, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Organic Alt is a cloudy yellow color with a high level of carbonation. The head is tall and pretty thick. Aroma is of sweet grain, almost euro lager-like, with an edge of darker malt. Taste starts with sweet malt, with an earthy edge. Graininess is high for the style. Herbal hops stay in the background. A slight lemony flavor is noted mid-sip and is joined by an acidic mouthfeel. Midsip also brings a musty flavor that seems off. This doesn't taste like the few alts I've sampled. Flavors collide all over the place and provide no cohesive taste. Maybe my bottle is off or old. Anyway, this isn't bad, but isn't something I particularly want to drink either.

Gagnonsux, Jul 08, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -13%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint 1 fl oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I'm a bit taken aback. The beer is a dark gold, almost clear. Thousands of small bubbles are swarming through the liquid. A thick, white head (about 1 1/2 inches) sits atop the beer. The head lasts well into the beer. Some good lacing. I am still puzzled by the look, I expected this to be much darker.

Smell: Aroma is slightly sweet, all malt. Biscutty, bready, yeasty scent dominated. Some grassy smell as well.

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell. Touch sweet, no bitterness here. The beer is bready, heavy yeasty taste, a little grainy (wheat and perhaps barley). I almost feel like I'm drinking a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium in body, the beer starts crisp and lively (highly carbonated) and finishes dry, A nice full mouthfeel to it.

Drinkability: The beer is easily consumable, just not memorable, nor will I actively seek this one out again.

After consuming the bottle I had to double check to make sure that what I had drank was the Alt. The bottle says it was, so I must assume it is right. This just seemed a lot like the Ur Pils.

BigRedN, May 13, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. The head was large, off-white, semi-rocky, and had some, but not a lot of staying power. Some loose lacing. Nothing to write home about.

Smell- Somewhat tart. Fair amount of malt. Somewhat lemony.

Taste- Interesting. A nice tartness, mixed with some malt sweetness up front; light and a little malty. Some grassy, floral hops mixed in there, but not much. Has a light, woody after-taste.

Mouthfeel- Light body. Decent level of carbonation.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, very sessionable.

theopholis, Feb 02, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin, white head. Smell is grainy and wheaty. Taste is also wheaty, very tart, with a large citrus flavor as well. Very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly prickly carbonation. Pretty drinkable though, I would drink this again. I think this is the first Altbier I've had, its OK, but I suspect there may be better examples out there.

tronester, Nov 24, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Aroma is strong and malty with fruity undertone, banana and a little apple. Pours a clear golden amber with a fairly thick and fluffy white head. Flavor is a bit thin but not bad - malty with a hint of bananas and just a whisper of sweetness. Texture is jazzy and lively. Not outstanding, but not too shabby.

Cyberkedi, Jun 15, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

johnbonham1980, Nov 02, 2006

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates to a very thin cap. This doesn't look like what I think an alt should look like.

S - Smells of earthy malts, with a crisp, very slight hop backing. This smells very "German," if that makes sense... probably from either noble or hallertau hops? Also, a faint pear/cider like aroma pulls through, maybe a result of a cross atlantic trip?

T - Bready malt is very assertive up front, and this is good. A sweet, fruity hop character comes through towards the very dry finish. Still getting a sour, pear-like characteristic.

M&D - Extremely carbonated, and not the smooth, creamy, yet light mouthfeel I love about alts. Pretty weird. However, I could see myself drinking this in the summertime, but over a good hefe or german or czech pils or lager...?

dukew456, Mar 28, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: pours a hazy pale yellow color with a 2" head. The head quickly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: grassy - no more like a freshly mowed lawn after a spring rain.

Taste: biscuity and grainy, with loads of grass tones and lemon / grapefruit citrus. Very dry.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The dryness is most noticeable by the tongue. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not the altbier I expected. Average drinkability as this is too grassy and dry. This is an example that organic may not always be the better choice.

Gavage, Apr 16, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Though it is a good beer, I don't think that it fits the style. I expected a deep copper - amber color. Instead, I got a hazy golden - copper hue. Has good head retention and lacing. Aromas are beady and citrusy. Thought I expect mild fruit aromas, I don't expect the tart citrus notes. Flavors are the same. the lemon-ey character over-rides the medium malt profile. The hops add a spiciness the the beer that is not expected. Though I like hop bittering in an Alt, I don't go for the spices here. The yeasty flavors take on a Belgian 'twang' , leaving the beer less clean than in most alts. The body is medim and a tad bit astringent. Finishes far too dry for an Alt, but crisp and fairly clean. Again, good beer, but not an Alt.

BEERchitect, Nov 10, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Hazy straw yellow pour out of the 500ml bottle with a couple fingers of fluffy white head. Has some sweet banana yeast on the nose, but then the smell of a musty barn enters. Faint hops in the aroma and taste. A bit of lemon-like tartness mixed in with a touch of sweetness. This beer just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real familiar with this style, so I may have to come back to this at a later date.

alkemy, Jan 15, 2010

Big_Dave, Aug 06, 2014

csiewert, Nov 29, 2011

WynnO, Sep 03, 2014

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis..

kimcgolf, Jul 25, 2006