Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

First off, it doesn't look like an alt, I'm used to Hannen and Kutscher alt, instead of the usual dark amber it is a cloudy pale gold.

Like I've said before, my nose doesn't work too good so I can't comment on the smell.(no, I'm not a coke head).

Now it comes to taste. It doesn't taste like the alts I'm used to, but it's still a pretty tasty beer, not something I'd drink on a regular occasion but a not unpleasant change of pace.

I don't know, I lived in K-Town so maybe there is a difference between southern and northern alts but for an alt, I much prefer a Hannen to the Pinkus.

mk3, Apr 18, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a pale straw color with a small white head and very little lacing.

S- grainy and malty, straw, and a bit of faint hops. Pretty earthy.

T- grainy malts, with a very earthy, barn yard like taste. Tastes like a tangy straw, meets forest floor. Finishes with just a bit hops linger.

M- light body, medium-high carbonation, crisp.

O- an interesting beer, very earthy and raw. I don't know of the organic part has anything to do with that but it's definitely intererting.

Treyliff, Feb 19, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a nice clean/clean golden pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slightly hoppy, spice, and caramel. The taste is malty, slight hop note, spicey, with some caramel. Light-Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew.

Wasatch, Nov 25, 2009
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden stereotypical lager look with ample bubbles and a white head that falls down quick but sticks around for most of the drink drink before falling apart.

Grain, earth, honey, yeastiness, grass, and lemon.

Lots of grain the flavor. The earthiness also plays a big role in the flavor. It's got some breadiness to it. There is some subdued lemon flavour as well.

Light to medium body and crisp. There is a mild tartness about it. Slightly drying.

MattSweatshirt, May 31, 2012
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As I poured this I was thinking "This is an Alt?". The color was way off, imo. It was a medium to light golden color, with some chill haze. I was expecting something more copper-hued. The head was bright white, fine and creamy, though, with so-so lacing. I found the nose to display mostly hops, and in sort of a grassy type of fashion, too. I found no hints of any malt in the nose. The body was leaning towards medium, yet not quite there; a fine carbonation produced a foamy, creamy feel on the tongue. As in the nose, I found no maltiness to speak of in the taste, either. It was predominantly a grassy, slightly floral hoppiness. This tasted more like a Munchner Helles to me, imho. Granted, it's not bad, yet nothing like I was expecting!

As a sidebar, after posting my review I read others. I noticed MississaugaMatt mentioned that this is in the "Munster" Alt style. Is that a recognized sub-category? If so, what are the parameters? I judged this solely by the Dusseldorf Alt parameters and personal experience drinking that style of Alt. Vielen Dank!!

Furthermore, I just consulted a Michael Jackson bier book, and he mentions that this bier is definitely much different from the Dusseldorf style, and made with 40% wheat to boot....

overall: 3.4
appearance: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

Bierman9, Dec 25, 2002
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Served in a small thin cylindrical "alt" glass. Poured a hazy yellow with a big head that dissipated rapidly leaving nice lacing. Had a slight citrusy aroma with malty undertone, nice mouth feel with a taste that was at once mildly citrus with hints of wheat and malt and a short dry finish, not at all like Frankenheim, Uerige, nor Ad Astra ( Ah I miss Free State). Definitely worth another try. I think I will grab another.

Citadel82, Sep 10, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

16oz bottle, pours super pale gold, super clear, topped with a fizzy white head that holds decent retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. Aromas are grassy, biscuity, fresh, grape juice, apple juice. Tastes are crisp, very dry, tart, white grape, chardonnay, apple juice, grassy, delicate noble hops. Mouth-feel is thin and bubbly, finishes dry. Overall, this is different than any other altbier I've had. Definitely sessionable, but not for the price. I probably wouldn't get this one again.

barnzy78, Aug 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours hazy golden ( I wish I remember what color it was when I drank this in N. Germany, but that was late into the night in Hamelin (sp??)) Not a traditional alt color to my understanding. Thick white head fades to a sight film. below average lacing

Smell: Sweetness/malt and not much else

Taste: Sweetness, some tartness, not much (hints) grainy toasty (none) notes I look for in an alt. Will be interested to see what other reviewers stateside think of this. dryness and some bitterenss in the finish. Reminds me of a golden ale. Not a slave to style but gotta knock it down some for straying this far IMHO. I'd rate this much higher as a golden ale, probably at least .5 more on the overall. I've tryed about 5 German & 3 American alts and this just seems out of whack for the style

MF: Slight prickly but otherwise balanced

Actually quite drinkable, just not in the style box. If you want that, find some Diebels!!

russpowell, Feb 04, 2006

JamLand, Jul 01, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Light, lemony golden in color with only a tease of head. Aromas are of sweet malt and tangy citrus. Flavors are on the bright side-very lemony with a good crisp mouthfeel and basically clean flavors. Some tang to go with the malt here, and a very low hop profile. The mid palate and finish come off as almost sweet, with a lemon soda type of flavor. Perhaps better with food than alone.

moulefrite, Apr 06, 2004

sammyt728, Feb 11, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Not a bad altbier. Pours out to a medium orange color with a small head of white foam. No lace. Aromas of citrus and yeast, mixed with flat and bland malts. Taste is fair; medium bodied malts and sour citrusy yeast notes mellow in the mouth, and hints of fermented grain and flowery hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and a touch creamy. Not bad. Drinkability is pretty good. I'd have this again. I dig that it's organic. Kind of cool... Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, Jun 21, 2006

Rdstarr, Jun 14, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a yellow amber with a bright white head. Malty sweet, but limited in complexity. Hops are supurb in their crispt bite. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and thus suffers in ranking, but smooth none the less. Nice and eady to drink.

And my hebrew name is Schlomo ben Pinkus so there we go!

scottum, Nov 10, 2003

harrisjohnson, Aug 26, 2012

ACarp, Aug 16, 2014

dalepryor, May 07, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

hunteraw, Dec 20, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a cloudy gold with a creamy white head and noticeable carbonation.
Smells of malt, a honey sweetness and a mild yeast aroma.
Tastes of sweet pale malt, light tropical fruit, some spiciness and an earthy tangy yeast finish.
Light bodied with a thin, carbonated mouthfeel.
Really light. It would be great on a hot day but ultimately not enough going on to pique my interest.

rkhaze, Sep 16, 2004

BryanK, Jul 01, 2014

Latarnik, May 30, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours much lighter than expected for a Dusseldorf Alt, but this is from Munster. Very light head, and the color is a hazy orange-yellow. The smell from the yeast in the bottle is evident along with malty aromas. The taste is mostly from the malt with an almost astringent hop flavor on the tounge. This could also be from the yeast I guess. The body seems very thin yet there is still a good malt base. I would definitly choose a Dusseldorf Alt over this, but still an interesting beer.

fizzyfred, May 17, 2005

grittybrews, Mar 04, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

This is the third installment I've had from Pinkus Mueller. Naturally cloudy gold color with beautiful snow white head and subtle lacing. Nose is a little sweet and malty and close to a Pils. Taste also is like a Pils but a little sweeter. Nice overall beer. I love the beers from Pinkus, great stuff

BierReise, May 16, 2003