Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 358 | Reviews: 263
2.97/5  rDev -18%

A - Pours a very light golder yellow with a thin head. Fairly active carbonation.

S - Light and crisp with citrus, apple, and fresh hay.

T - Orange, lemon, and sweet grain.

M - Crisp, but a little on the thin side.

D - Goes down pretty easy, but it is very light, almost like a macro. This is ballpark beer. Gave my wife a taste, and she thought it tasted like a very heavily watered-down Hoegaarden.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this one in a trade with stephenlouis. thanks stephen!

the label on this one doesn't quite match the picture. it says "original pinkus obergarig" and "pinkus alt" on the back, so i think it's the same one.

pours a pale straw yellow with a bit of pure white head. quickly drops and leaves no lace behind.

aroma is ok. corn and dms, but not overpowering. not much else to it though.

taste is ok. fairly plain and simple. hint of bitterness. little dms. touch of biscuity malt. hint of spicy hops. decent, but not wowing me.

mouthfeel is good. it's light and has a fairly low well integrated carbonation.

dirnkability is ok. at first the aroma threw me off, but it's a decent and enjoyable beer.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Extremely drinkable, and that's about all I liked about this one.

I need to get more familiar with this style, but like most reviewers I really feel this beer is lacking in many areas.

Had this one poured from bottle into tall pilsner glass, drank with some fontina cheese.

Poured pleasant golden with pillowy 3 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell and taste is pretty flat. I detect a lot of yeast presence with an odd bitterness and some pronounced fresh apple and grapefruit with a touch of spice (nutmeg?)

Silky mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finished it in 5 minutes due to drinkability and my overall desire to get through it and grab another from my fridge.

Be hard pressed to buy this one again. Time will tell, at least to me, whether this is at all like a true altbier.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

As Alts go, this was a bit disappointing. Granted there are variations on every theme, but this was not what I expected from a brewer whose other products I have found to exceed expectations. The color was a hazy pale yellow, with a decent head that fell quickly. Not much in the nose but the typical mix of helles-like malts. And the taste wasn't as rich as I had expected either. Extremly mild blend of malt and generic hops flavor in a rather thin mouthful. I looked at the label twice to make sure I was drinking something called an Altbier. I could have sworn I was drinking a helles-lager or even a cloudy Kolsch. Very drinkable, but therein lies the problem. I was expecting something rich and special. Not this time.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Pour is golden and clear with modest head that dissapears.
Smell is lemon, sour ,floral, crisp and clean. Sometimes I think of stinky feet with this beer.
Taste is citrus and crisp
Mouthfeel is great when really cold but ok when gets warmer
Drinkability-good summer brew

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a .5L bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is yellow, Good carbonation, nice head 2 finger white, and good lace.

The smell is faint, with a fruity lemonish twang.

The taste is ok but not quite what I was expecting, seems to be out of style, A little citric, fruity. Malt and hops are not standing out.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium body, carbonation is ave.

The drinkability is not so great, I would try it again, but I will not seek it out. MK

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a hazy light golden color with moderate white creamy head. modest lacing. Smell is summer fruity, with some citrus (lemon) notes also present. Taste follows through on the taste with a nice fruity sweetness and stronger lemon tastes. At the finish a fine hop bitter bitterness begins to come through, which proves to be a fine ending for this beer. Not quite what I was extecting, but still a very enjoyable beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.2%

Cloudy, straw color. Decent head (pure white), a little lace on the glass.

Grainy, thin smelling--rather similar to N/A beers.

Thin bodied and surprisingly similar to a pilsner. Very high carbonation. A touch of citrus. Very low hop level--could this be the German version of Bud?

This is not what I expected. I'm used to something closer to a British Mild. This is a weak expression of an Alt.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy golden lemon cloud color with long lasting foamy head. The bubbles are moderately tight on top and larger and more soapy looking further down. Tastes of a lemon haze - pilser/hefe mix. Notes of lemon, sweet vanilla and plain graham cracker. Nicely drinkable.

2.97/5  rDev -18%

Errr...I'm not entirely sure what I'm drinking here. The front and neck label simply say "Original Pinkus" but the back label says "Pinkus Alt." It looks and tastes like a pilsner. It has the body and mouthfeel of a pilsner. The smell is a bit more maltier than a pilsner, but all in all this really reminds of Czechvar.

I don't know...maybe this isn't the Alt, maybe I got a mislabelled bottle, but this really seems like a pilsner.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured to golden color, with very thin white head and no lacing. Aroma of sour fruit, hops and I actually thought I detected wheat. Taste somewhat sour fruit, warmed to a little more flavor, with bitter palate. An OK beer, but nothing special enough to convince me to start drinking organics on a regular basis..

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Organic Alt is a cloudy yellow color with a high level of carbonation. The head is tall and pretty thick. Aroma is of sweet grain, almost euro lager-like, with an edge of darker malt. Taste starts with sweet malt, with an earthy edge. Graininess is high for the style. Herbal hops stay in the background. A slight lemony flavor is noted mid-sip and is joined by an acidic mouthfeel. Midsip also brings a musty flavor that seems off. This doesn't taste like the few alts I've sampled. Flavors collide all over the place and provide no cohesive taste. Maybe my bottle is off or old. Anyway, this isn't bad, but isn't something I particularly want to drink either.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Dim peach. Constant 1/2" skim. Frothy 'latte' head.

Nose is fresh, clean, and slim. Faint suggestions of lemons, various other citric elements, hay, grain, and cream.

Tastes comes on very slowly and smoothly; grain, rainwater, wildflowers, mewn hay. Little sweeter than expected.

Mouthfeel is silk-smooth, and endlessly drinkable.

I've been gravitating towards well-built, subtle beer styles in the summer and this fits the bill perfectly. Went down fantastically while watching the sunset on the porch.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Not a bad altbier. Pours out to a medium orange color with a small head of white foam. No lace. Aromas of citrus and yeast, mixed with flat and bland malts. Taste is fair; medium bodied malts and sour citrusy yeast notes mellow in the mouth, and hints of fermented grain and flowery hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and a touch creamy. Not bad. Drinkability is pretty good. I'd have this again. I dig that it's organic. Kind of cool... Worth a try.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Pinkus Organic Munster Alt pours a hazy golden color with a white head. Mild, malty aroma. Taste definitely tends to the malty side, some metallic taste present but not too distracting. I like this compared to the other Alt beers I've had, its not as intensely malty, and quite drinkable, more drinkable than the other Alts I've had, perhaps, I think because it is a lower alcohol than the others. Worth a try.

3.17/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint 1 fl oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I'm a bit taken aback. The beer is a dark gold, almost clear. Thousands of small bubbles are swarming through the liquid. A thick, white head (about 1 1/2 inches) sits atop the beer. The head lasts well into the beer. Some good lacing. I am still puzzled by the look, I expected this to be much darker.

Smell: Aroma is slightly sweet, all malt. Biscutty, bready, yeasty scent dominated. Some grassy smell as well.

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell. Touch sweet, no bitterness here. The beer is bready, heavy yeasty taste, a little grainy (wheat and perhaps barley). I almost feel like I'm drinking a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium in body, the beer starts crisp and lively (highly carbonated) and finishes dry, A nice full mouthfeel to it.

Drinkability: The beer is easily consumable, just not memorable, nor will I actively seek this one out again.

After consuming the bottle I had to double check to make sure that what I had drank was the Alt. The bottle says it was, so I must assume it is right. This just seemed a lot like the Ur Pils.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

This .5l brown bottle of Pinkus Münster Alt poured a hazy blond to gold color, definitely unexpected for an Alt. It had a thick fluffy white head which dissipated slowly leaving a slight lacing. Fine bubbles evolved from the sides and bottom of the glass throughout.

The Aroma was dominated by toasty, bready clean malt. Spicy noble hop aromas were also evident with a slight earthiness reminiscent of wild mushrooms.

The flavor profile was dominated by clean bready malt, but contained fruity, floral and citrus elements as well. Hop bitterness was mild but assertive and the hop flavor was of spicy noble hops. This beer had a relatively dry finish with lingering bitterness and a slight hint of earthy wild mushroom which came out late.

The body of this beer was lighter than expected… it had a light mouthcoat and a light degree of carbon dioxide bite.

An unusual Alt to be sure, Pinkus Münster Alt was not what I had expected, but was a great beer none the less. Organic and unfiltered… this beer was full flavored and enjoyable.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From a 500ml brown Euro bottle, red label, no freshness date.

Pours out a light chill hazed golden honey colour, small dash of white head that recedes to a thin film. Cut grass and hay on the nose, along with some faint bready malt, and just as faint metallic grain. The flavour starts out with some light malt, more grainy and dry in the middle, blending into a hop finish akin to thick wet grass, and somewhat floral. The aftertaste is sticky but dry, it coats the palate yet still has something of a parching effect. A fairly light altbier, but enjoyable for what it is. I'm not craving another, nor do I have any major plans to run out and buy more, but it's one of the more decent organic beers that I've sampled, it has it's own small charm.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer is yellow, with a fizzy white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Really I though Altbiers are supposed to be darker. This looks like a lager.

This smells like a pilsner to me. Grassy and hoppy. A little bit of soapiness to it.

The taste is tart and a bit acidic. Fruity in spots and grassy in other spots. The finish may have just a bit of ginger to it. Doesn't taste bad, but what lingers isn't all that nice.

There isn't much body, perhaps a bit of an oily feel, and the carbonation is prickly on the lips and tongue. Not for savoring.

Even though there isn't much good about this one, it still goes down alright. Perhaps a fair weather beer, however I won't be after this one again.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: pours a hazy pale yellow color with a 2" head. The head quickly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: grassy - no more like a freshly mowed lawn after a spring rain.

Taste: biscuity and grainy, with loads of grass tones and lemon / grapefruit citrus. Very dry.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The dryness is most noticeable by the tongue. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not the altbier I expected. Average drinkability as this is too grassy and dry. This is an example that organic may not always be the better choice.

2.02/5  rDev -44.2%

The beer jumps out a pale translucent yellow color with a big foamy white head. Whaa? There is a light berry aroma. The flavor is very fruity, again, berry. It is sugary sweet with a slight soapiness in the finish/ aftertaste. Mouthfeel is the best thing here. It's mid-weight and fluffy. I was really expecting more from Ayinger on this. Maybe I'm just a dumb american, but his beer is not only antithetical to my idea of alt, its just not a very good beer for any style.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light haze in a golden mustard body. Light, soft guazey-white head. Peppery, tangy barley malt. Wet hay, buttered oatmeal. Interesting. Tangy hay and oats. Dry. Sourdough bread. Yeasty, getting slightly bitter into the long, semi-acidic finish. A little too tart? Light to medium bodied with a refreshing, crisp, dry feel. Not bad, and nice that it’s organic.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

( Served in an Imperial pint glass)

A- This beer pours has a hazy golden orange body with creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a slow gentle note of tiny bubbles.

S- The notes of dry pale malt with a slightly sweet caramel malt note. No real note of hops. As it warms the smell of fresh malt and a slight earthiness comes through.

T- This beer has a dry pale malt and biscuit note that is soon followed by a bright fruity almost orange note. The finish has a slight green noble hops bitterness. As it warms the orange note has a slight nutty quality to it.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a slightly thick texture that is note really creamy and not really watery.

D- This is not what I was expecting in an alt. The bright fruit notes are nice and adds more depth. The malt flavors are light but complex with fresh grain qualities that are refreshing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller