Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +5%

Light toasty Pilsner-like malt with touch of honey sweetness and snappy fruit.

Pale-medium yellow, good clarity, mild head, good retention.

Dry toasty malt hits first with grainy overtones and subtle malt sweetness. Touch of fruit and then overcome by bitterness. Few sips. Bitterness mostly gone, now a little tart. Few more sips. Crisp carbonation on medium-thin body. Apple-like fruit sensation and sweetness. Modest hop provides just a light balancing edge on the malt. Few more sips. More malt depth and a growingly tighter balance are interesting.

Pretty light, fairly refreshing, somewhat interesting on the palate.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz bottle.

Pours incredibly light..nearly colorless. Wasn't quite what I was expecting there.. Decent head retention despite the somewhat fizzy head. Very grassy/herbal aroma of light hops and a strong wheat character. The taste is very wheaty and almost corrosive on the palate...very grainy mouthfeel. A somewhat refreshing light alt from Germany, but overall, nothing too spectacular..and I couldn't care less about the whole "organic" thing.

pours a surprisingly light color, peachy gold and quite hazy. Head is big and frothy, quite inviting overall, though so far it is far from what I'd expect from the style.
Aroma follows suit. There is big fruitiness here. Orchard fruits, some citrus, suggestion of doughy malt before hops and more likely yeast takes over. If blindfolded I'd have said this was more like something using the Fullers yeast strain than an alt.
Flavor continues the fruitiness. There is a honey-ish sweetness like a fresh peach to the flavor with moderate tartness in the finish. Moderate bitterness though it doesn't really linger. It's not particularly clean with a mildly sticky sweet fruit flavor coating the palate, again at odds with what I'd expect. Not particularly caramel-y either.
Carbonation is medium low, body medium, drinkability high after I quit trying to figure it out and just enjoyed it.

As a general beverage this falls somewhere between good and excellent. As an alt, I can't see how I'd even rate it as average. I shall have to do more "research" on this beer!

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured with a slightly hazed golden color with a big beige head. Bready, husky malt aromas as well as a little fruitiness and mustiness. Light and refreshing with a sweet, husky malt profile. Water portion of the beer tastes minerally. Some fruity yeast notes with a light mouthfeel. Good German ale.

The Munster Alt pours a straw clear yellow with a solid 2 finger foam head in a pilsner glass. It left some tight bubble foam lacing. A good looking beer. No freshness date.

The aroma was malty and grainy. It was chewy malt most of the way through. It has a little zest in the finish with a slight hop bitterness. It had a lemony taste as it finished. Overall it was refreshing beer after a balmy spring day.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours with a rocky, lacy white head over clear yellow/straw-clored liquid. Maltiness dominates the nose. Crisp malt flavor tasted with a snappy hint of tartness just bubbling under. Very little, if any, hop bitterness tasted. Finishes slightly dry...that's all, folks!

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into stange.

A - Slightly hazy, bright yellow. Two fingers of white head have decent retention before falling to a thick collar with a thin film. Moderate lacing also.

S - Biscuity, bready, and quite sweet. Lots of helles lager elements. Some metallic aroma is noted along with grassy and somewhat floral hops.

T - Extremely bready backbone and overall sort of bland with a modest sweetness. Suggestions of lemon juice and chalk try to break through but are never full realized. Some grassy/borderline floral hop character appears mid to late palate. Slight graininess and a smidge of bitterness enter late palate with an extremely clean finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with a very soft, almost nonexistent carbonation. It's actually a little strange feeling as I'd expect this beer to be a little more crisp.

D - A refreshing, thirst quenching beer. I'd like to see some more character in Munster Alt, as it's bland enough to drink quickly and easily without having to spend too much time pondering over the flavor. Overall a decent beer reminiscent of southern German pale lagers.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Altbier? I can't say I get too much altbier. This should be interesting.

A - Poured the pint perfectly into a weizen glass. Clumpy head, not much lacing, clear dull-sunflower colored body.

S - Upon opening, the aroma of this beer was unmistakable. Nothing too unusual, just a good fresh beery aroma. I also get lavender as the beer warms and the aroma opens up. I really like the fresh, clean smell of this beer.

T - Again, nothing too unusual. Bread-crust malt bill, hops of the spicy, earthy-grassy variety; I'm guessing Saaz. Pretty well-balanced. Very clean to me, this comes off like a very good lager.

F - Crisp feel, with plenty of active carbonation. Light-medium bodied.

D - Not the most unusual beer I've ever had, but crisp, refreshing and tasty. It would be a good, and perhaps excellent, pairing for a wide range of foods. I'm especially thinking raw oysters at a dockside Florida restaurant. File under "refreshing," "versatile."

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look – slightly pale golden color, clear, with slow carbonation and about two and a half fingers’ worth of just barely off-white colored foam that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell – interesting smell, it’s very spicy, but I can’t tell which spices are being used. Slightly more on the hoppy side, perhaps using Saas hops?

Taste – much like the smell, it’s an interesting taste, perhaps not quite like anything I’ve tasted before. There’s a bit of a muskiness, but it starts off with a sweetness. Still very spicy, but I can’t identify it.

Mouthfeel – the Mouthfeel is fairly solidly on the watery side, but not so much to make it less interesting.

Overall – very intriguing brew! I wish I could figure out more about the taste and what’s in it.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm enjoying this: a lot of flavor out of nowhere, and not a high abv to deal with. Pour is a dusky straw. Aroma is fresh and bready. Taste is a surprise of honey and some appley notes. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. I thought this would be darker, or hoppier, and I find it's neither (hard to tell with that brown bottle). I find this rather tasty, and wouldn't mind a few bottles more for the rest of the evening. Would drink again. pat

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

A foamy white head sits atop this yellow munster alt. A bit paler than I had envisioned. The head doesn't last long.

Very floral notes are present and a nice earthy aroma.

Sweet and delicate in the flavor. More floral and straw characteristcs. Simply refreshing and delicious. Crisp and light in character. Finishes fairly dry. There is a left over floral and sweet taste.

This is awesome! I have only had a few sips and I'm in love. A great alt and I wish I could get this more often.

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a yellow amber with a bright white head. Malty sweet, but limited in complexity. Hops are supurb in their crispt bite. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and thus suffers in ranking, but smooth none the less. Nice and eady to drink.

And my hebrew name is Schlomo ben Pinkus so there we go!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a good head and it also had decent lacing to it. In my opinion, it had a fruity aroma and there was a lot of carbonation observed. This beer went down very smooth which is much to my liking and it was a very drinkable beer.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours cloudy rich golden in color with a moderately thick white head, good retention and plenty of lace. Inviting aromas of German malts, apples, honey, estery yeast, and a citric hoppiness. Tastes lightly sweet, but with a dry tarty balance--malty but with apples, tart wheat, estery, and a malty cookie and floral finish. Very light in body, but creamy and complementary to the nicely balanced flavor. This beer gave me a new appreciation for alt biers, very tasty stuff. Very easy to drink, very good.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller