Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into stange.

A - Slightly hazy, bright yellow. Two fingers of white head have decent retention before falling to a thick collar with a thin film. Moderate lacing also.

S - Biscuity, bready, and quite sweet. Lots of helles lager elements. Some metallic aroma is noted along with grassy and somewhat floral hops.

T - Extremely bready backbone and overall sort of bland with a modest sweetness. Suggestions of lemon juice and chalk try to break through but are never full realized. Some grassy/borderline floral hop character appears mid to late palate. Slight graininess and a smidge of bitterness enter late palate with an extremely clean finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with a very soft, almost nonexistent carbonation. It's actually a little strange feeling as I'd expect this beer to be a little more crisp.

D - A refreshing, thirst quenching beer. I'd like to see some more character in Munster Alt, as it's bland enough to drink quickly and easily without having to spend too much time pondering over the flavor. Overall a decent beer reminiscent of southern German pale lagers.

PatrickJR, Jan 20, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Altbier? I can't say I get too much altbier. This should be interesting.

A - Poured the pint perfectly into a weizen glass. Clumpy head, not much lacing, clear dull-sunflower colored body.

S - Upon opening, the aroma of this beer was unmistakable. Nothing too unusual, just a good fresh beery aroma. I also get lavender as the beer warms and the aroma opens up. I really like the fresh, clean smell of this beer.

T - Again, nothing too unusual. Bread-crust malt bill, hops of the spicy, earthy-grassy variety; I'm guessing Saaz. Pretty well-balanced. Very clean to me, this comes off like a very good lager.

F - Crisp feel, with plenty of active carbonation. Light-medium bodied.

D - Not the most unusual beer I've ever had, but crisp, refreshing and tasty. It would be a good, and perhaps excellent, pairing for a wide range of foods. I'm especially thinking raw oysters at a dockside Florida restaurant. File under "refreshing," "versatile."

Patrick999, Feb 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Wobbly, Aug 15, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look – slightly pale golden color, clear, with slow carbonation and about two and a half fingers’ worth of just barely off-white colored foam that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell – interesting smell, it’s very spicy, but I can’t tell which spices are being used. Slightly more on the hoppy side, perhaps using Saas hops?

Taste – much like the smell, it’s an interesting taste, perhaps not quite like anything I’ve tasted before. There’s a bit of a muskiness, but it starts off with a sweetness. Still very spicy, but I can’t identify it.

Mouthfeel – the Mouthfeel is fairly solidly on the watery side, but not so much to make it less interesting.

Overall – very intriguing brew! I wish I could figure out more about the taste and what’s in it.

Nerudamann, Oct 30, 2011

Bnoise11, Aug 04, 2013

pours a surprisingly light color, peachy gold and quite hazy. Head is big and frothy, quite inviting overall, though so far it is far from what I'd expect from the style.
Aroma follows suit. There is big fruitiness here. Orchard fruits, some citrus, suggestion of doughy malt before hops and more likely yeast takes over. If blindfolded I'd have said this was more like something using the Fullers yeast strain than an alt.
Flavor continues the fruitiness. There is a honey-ish sweetness like a fresh peach to the flavor with moderate tartness in the finish. Moderate bitterness though it doesn't really linger. It's not particularly clean with a mildly sticky sweet fruit flavor coating the palate, again at odds with what I'd expect. Not particularly caramel-y either.
Carbonation is medium low, body medium, drinkability high after I quit trying to figure it out and just enjoyed it.

As a general beverage this falls somewhere between good and excellent. As an alt, I can't see how I'd even rate it as average. I shall have to do more "research" on this beer!

udubdawg, May 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm enjoying this: a lot of flavor out of nowhere, and not a high abv to deal with. Pour is a dusky straw. Aroma is fresh and bready. Taste is a surprise of honey and some appley notes. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. I thought this would be darker, or hoppier, and I find it's neither (hard to tell with that brown bottle). I find this rather tasty, and wouldn't mind a few bottles more for the rest of the evening. Would drink again. pat

PatandDavid, Jan 14, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

jettjon, Jun 02, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

A foamy white head sits atop this yellow munster alt. A bit paler than I had envisioned. The head doesn't last long.

Very floral notes are present and a nice earthy aroma.

Sweet and delicate in the flavor. More floral and straw characteristcs. Simply refreshing and delicious. Crisp and light in character. Finishes fairly dry. There is a left over floral and sweet taste.

This is awesome! I have only had a few sips and I'm in love. A great alt and I wish I could get this more often.

stewart124, May 09, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a yellow amber with a bright white head. Malty sweet, but limited in complexity. Hops are supurb in their crispt bite. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and thus suffers in ranking, but smooth none the less. Nice and eady to drink.

And my hebrew name is Schlomo ben Pinkus so there we go!

scottum, Nov 10, 2003

Gtg642, Oct 20, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a good head and it also had decent lacing to it. In my opinion, it had a fruity aroma and there was a lot of carbonation observed. This beer went down very smooth which is much to my liking and it was a very drinkable beer.

hotstuff, Jul 05, 2003

mikefuski17, Aug 09, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours cloudy rich golden in color with a moderately thick white head, good retention and plenty of lace. Inviting aromas of German malts, apples, honey, estery yeast, and a citric hoppiness. Tastes lightly sweet, but with a dry tarty balance--malty but with apples, tart wheat, estery, and a malty cookie and floral finish. Very light in body, but creamy and complementary to the nicely balanced flavor. This beer gave me a new appreciation for alt biers, very tasty stuff. Very easy to drink, very good.

vacax, Jan 31, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Interesting... Definitely not what I was expecting, from beginning to end.

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expect in an alt, more of a gold or straw than the amber to dark brown specified on the style page. Somewhat hazy. Good head and some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, citric, with some ale fruitiness. Not as much malt, and not as mellow as I'd expected...

Taste: Grainy, acidic citrus, not as highly hopped as the last alt I had.. Some fruitiness. Nothing in the way of caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, on the lighter side.

Drinkability: This seems like a weird altbier to me... Acidity seemed a little much and hurts drinkability. Not bad, but I won't buy it again.

hunteraw, Dec 20, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Gonna give this one a good score for looks even though it looks nothing like Alts I have had or made. Beautiful clear gold, with a huge hat of white, fine bubbled foam atop.

Flowery perfume, lightly tart yeast, biscuity breadiness, and a hint of citrus for an aroma unlike any Alt I have tasted or read about, but it is a nice, medium strength bouquet.

Tasty beer with more in common with helles lager than Alt, but enjoyable none the less. All the flavors of the nose, with the floral notes less pronounced, the tart and bread more pronounced, and a finish that features a bit of spice to go with the citrus

Very light in mouth, so out of style it is comical. Highly carbed, nice linger, okay finish.

Not really getting the Alt designation on the label, this is more helles than Alt, even if it did use top fermenting yeast. Not recommended.

cavedave, Feb 23, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -8%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Oct 24, 2006

Sspeer1, May 05, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Germany's oldest organic brewery has quite the extensive selection in the Organic Market. Pours out an "untypical" Altbier color of light honeyed amber. Light carbonation makes a nice light fluffy head. Looks a bit like a Keller bier.
On the nose--tart lemon,musty grains,touch of orange, lightly sweet-apple,pear, grape.the sweetness is nicely cut by the blast of mineral,grain, and fresh grass.
Flavor is reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse. Lemon, acidic,light,nicely carbonated,and just the right amount of creaminess to balance. this finish is long and lingering with pepper, honey and lemon.
nice,light tart and refreshing. Maybe not a typical Altbier but tasty nonetheless. I'll be living near Munster soon, so looks like I'll have lots more in my future Cheers

czfreeman, May 21, 2010

Bear1964, Sep 29, 2013

CreekyJarls, Nov 05, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Pours a very impressive fluffy two-finger head that is slow to recede and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: A straw scent comes through as well as some light citrus

Taste: Most notably, it had an obvious, lemon-esque taste to it. The grainy straw comes through after the lemon taste. Finishes grainy and a touch citric.

Mouthfeel: citric and sour, but refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a very unique brew. I can see it being very refreshing in the summertime.

Greggy, Feb 25, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

weaselchew, Dec 20, 2011
3.94/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours clear gold with a nice, two finger head. Delicate smell of floral hops.

Crisp grainy flavor that has an interesting twang in the finish. A touch of lemon and citrus, followed by flowers and earth mid-palate. Super easy to drink, light-medium bodied. Carbonation is good for style. Really tasty and -- without any doubts -- a great session ale.

A delightful alt beer. I've grown to expect alt to appear darker, but I can totally take a pass at this because of its flavorful goodness. Great on a humid summer eve with a nice cheese plate -- would probably be wonderful with grilled sausages.

Zraly, Aug 10, 2013