Organic Münster Alt - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

good

Brauerei Pinkus Mueller visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Münster Alt Alström Bros

harrisjohnson, Aug 26, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

First of all Im not sure why this is concidered an alt.. But pours a golden light copper colour with a nice fluffy white head. Nose is of sweet malt and a bit of hops, but its lacking the usual malt profile of a true ALT. Taste is more of a lager than a Dusseldorf ALT.. Maybe I got the styles confused, but this beer was clean and crisp and with a little hoppy. Mouthfeel was good and it was very drinkable, but just not what i was looking for with the word ALT.

TinusTime, Apr 03, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a cloudy gold with a creamy white head and noticeable carbonation.
Smells of malt, a honey sweetness and a mild yeast aroma.
Tastes of sweet pale malt, light tropical fruit, some spiciness and an earthy tangy yeast finish.
Light bodied with a thin, carbonated mouthfeel.
Really light. It would be great on a hot day but ultimately not enough going on to pique my interest.

rkhaze, Sep 16, 2004

ACarp, Aug 16, 2014
1.98/5  rDev -45.3%

The beer jumps out a pale translucent yellow color with a big foamy white head. Whaa? There is a light berry aroma. The flavor is very fruity, again, berry. It is sugary sweet with a slight soapiness in the finish/ aftertaste. Mouthfeel is the best thing here. It's mid-weight and fluffy. I was really expecting more from Ayinger on this. Maybe I'm just a dumb american, but his beer is not only antithetical to my idea of alt, its just not a very good beer for any style.

JudgeRoughneck, Mar 10, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a really nice, bright, light head. The head itself seemed to be bubbling, not just sitting there which was interesting. A nice level of carbonation with the bubbles on the bottom climbinb up the side of the glass and those on top rushing quickly to the surface. Average, golden, slightly hazy color, with an aroma like rice krispies. This was my first altbier and it definitely brought me back to my time in Deutschland. I expected a sweeter, deeper malt taste, but this tasted almost like a wheat beer. Good though, I would drink it again but probabl won't buy it for a while.

wiseguy142, Dec 08, 2007

I believe that this is my first altbier. Picked up fairly cheaply at my local store. Pours with an assertive 3 finger frothy white head which sits upon its golden body. Nose has notes of malt and also a pleasant sweet floral aroma. Initially a huge pale malt taste smacks you in the face before slowly fading into flower notes and a subtle, sweet finish. Drinkability is very nice on this one. I must get some more alts to try. I'd love to see how this would be fresh.

soper2000, Nov 30, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Very sleek, old-style bottle. Labeled as organic, with USDA organic stamp on back.

Pours a golden color, with a hazy clarity. Head was slight and dissipated rapidly. Carbonation lasts for a good while.

The smell is raw and tart. A lemony (acidic?). Malt is strong.

The taste is light, and malty. Carbonated bite lends the grain/malt flavor. Sweetness comes in the middle and is a bit fruity. Hops are floral/grassy , and a bit subdued.

Sticky in the throat, and a bit watery. This beer is just not flavorful enough for me. I don't have a lot of Altbier experience, but this doesn't satisfy. However, I don't think this is a poorly constructed beer either. It has plenty of depth and complexity. Just not my cup o' tea. But all in all very drinkable beer.

Freshie, Sep 25, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -48.1%

Poured a huge thick, white head atop a very light golden brew. The color is almost as light as budweiser which really surprised me as the last alt I had was Zum Uerige and it looked nothing like this. Aroma reminds me of hallertauer hops and it is blended with a dry toasty malt flavor and a weird ester I am not familiar with. The flavor is hoppy at first then it segues into an isipid watery flavor that finished very clean except for a touch of misplaced hop flavor. Very weird beer and I find it hard to call it an alt as it is sort of a mix between pilsner, alt, and kolsh. I would not buy this beer again.

RenoZymurgist, Jun 13, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Cloudy, meadlike honey color with a one finger white head with moderate retention. Fruity, floral aromas similar to a cherry blow pop. Lots of sweet fruit flavors going on up front, sour cherry, rose water, cotton candy/bubblegum, with a smooth malty middle and a dry light finish balancing out the sweetness. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated, the dry balanced finish reduces the overall sweetness of the smell and early taste to bring about a very drinkable beer.

scottg, May 26, 2008

sammyt728, Feb 11, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass. Liquid is a hazy yellow with a small white fizzy cap that quickly settles. Smell is incredibly bready, lots of raw dough and crust. Some yeast and malted wheat in the smell as well. Taste seems off - it is equally tart and sour as it is malty. I cant remember having an altbier that was this tart, not to mention this lacking in hop flavor. Mouthfeel is light body with a medium high carbonation. Drinkability is not too good because of the off flavors... Overall this beer's flavors are a bit harsh and unbalanced. Pinkus, meet drain.

nkersten, Dec 14, 2010

Hazy body, golden orange in color with a thin yet persistant film of white foam. Sweet, fruity aroma with a musty, yeasty touch. Flavor is sweet and malty with a herbal note and light, hoppy finish. Well balanced and very drinkable. Rich, substantial mouthfeel.

Sixpack595, Jun 07, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -24%

500 ml bottle. No date. Pours golden with a larg head the rapidly disapates. More kolsch aromas than what I would expect from an alt. Apples and flowers. The kolsch come though in the flavor also. Very crisp apple notes. Tangy. Slightly bitter. Medium body and high carbonation make this beer prickly over the tounge. Flavor leaves quickly. This is not what I expected. Not really an alt that I’m familiar with.

tjthresh, Aug 31, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +16%

A - Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a short pilsner/hefeweizen hybrid glass. Nice fizzy white head atop a lightly haze golden body. Medium carbonation floats to the top and supports the head for a couple minutes. Head leaves nice lacing along the glass.

S - Malty upfront with some sweetness and flowery hop aromas in the back. A bit light a pilsner in the smell.

T&M - Very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation to make this lightly crisp. Pretty light-bodied taste but with wonderful flavors of caramel malts and a nice flowery taste. A touch of honeycomb as the beer warms. Slightly bitter on the back of the tongue for the aftertaste but not too lingering.

D - Such a nice beer with fantastic drinkability. Could easily put down 3 of these in a night and could session it all day. Nice light flavors yet complex and flavorful.

MrIncognito, Mar 30, 2009

Beermaine, Oct 03, 2013

lvoutlawjlh, Jul 30, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Drank this from a pint poured from the bottle. A gold that's almost transparent. Bubbly and I got a single finger head that sounds clearly then recedes with hardly even a lacing.

Picking up hints of citrus but mostly malts and not a lot else.

The first sip is stinging and it stays that way through out. I'm getting coriander through mild carbonation that provides zero cover. That being said, the flavor lingers with citrus and garlic and it's all front and no back. There is a staining aftertaste that offers little more in terms of flavor. Re-asserts itself, I suppose. Very malty and opens up to serious citrus toward the middle third.

It's a light brew that's doesn't pack much in the way of carbonation. Can't hold it on the tongue for long, honestly.

Sting is admittedly problematic as this is not a necessarily smooth brew. That being said, it can be dealt with quickly and the lack of back helps this area out.

pants678, May 18, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +21%

Poured from bottle into stange. (Warning: don't serve this too warm, or you will get lots of foam!)

A: Clear straw color with a copious head that faded with nice lacing.

S: Earthy, grass with a hint of noble hops.

T: Classic altbier. Crisp, tart, and refreshing. Sharp bite up front gives way to a malty center. The finish is grainy and hoppy together.

M: Rather light in body with massive carbonation that cut through the fat in the meal I was having it with.

D: When you're in the mood for an alt, this is one to reach for.

speter, Jan 24, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Yep, got this from the BA's German Beer Fest. Why aren't you volunteering as well?

Enjoying this brew from a Samuel Adams mug that Marc from Sunset Grill gave us last week at the BA staff meeting. Privileges volunteering has (I'm watching Star Wars Episode III).

So, according to this bottle, the beer inside is organic. I'm sure that means something to some people, for me, not so much.

Appearance: I swear there was a nice, thick head to this beer, but I just looked down and there's none to speak of. Again, it could be that I've had this beer has been in my fridge for awhile and it's due to age or the cleanliness of my glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, straw

Taste: I could only pick up malt when I tasted this beer.

Mouthfeel: smooth, crispiness. No lingering sensation.

Drinkability: I have to say this was a highly drinkable and enjoyable beer. I don't put much credence in something being "organic" but I'm not going to hold it against this beer.

fdrich29, Feb 18, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

A- Cloudy yellow almost light orange body with a small white head.

S- Light sweet honey malts, almost a strawlike aroma.

T- Honeyed malts, very light malts almost seem watered down, a touch of light hop presence like a bit of spice. Light lemon which gives a refreshing quality to this brew.

M- Very light body, highly carbonated.

O- Decent alt, Ive had much better, would pass this up if I saw it again.

foogerd, Apr 27, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Cloudy golden in color, with a thick white head that fades to a thin coating.

S - Slightly sour aroma, a little funky even.

T - Sour, funky, slightly grainiy.

M - Light to medium, lots of CO2 sharpness.

O - Not bad at all, but I wouldn't want much of it.

enfield249, Feb 06, 2012
4.31/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Mildly hazy honey colored (soft yellow-orange). Slowly recessing foam with large chunky bubbles, Two fingers tall when poured into a 1L mug.

S: Honey, white bread and honey malt aroma

T: grainy with a bread crust vibe. a bit of fruity, sweetness maybe from the ale yeast? earthy spice hop after taste.

M: moderate body and carb. very smooth

O: A very drinkable bier. My first Alt that wan't a Homebrew and it was much different then I expected. I could easily drink a Liter of this on a warm day, and to me thats a sign of a good German beer.

guityler83, Apr 22, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of a frothy, snow white head. The beer is a hazy pale golden with high carbonation. The color is surprisingly pale.

Wow. This is unique and different (and very tasty). The aroma is so unique that I can hardly describe it, but it is very nice. Delicate hop flavor-aromas are evident, producing hints of citrus and candy-like pale malts- pineapple comes to mind. I think the uniqueness that I can't quite describe might be from mineral water, yeast, or a combination of the two. A little bit of pleasant tartness is evident in the aftertaste. The brew feels tingly on the tongue and produces plenty of pleasant burpiness.

I bought this bottle for $3.29 at Front Street Market in Butte, Montana. This beer is a very reasonably priced treat, and I must extend kudos to my favorite local beer outlet. I've noticed a few of these German imports that are a very good value. Prost!

archyquaffer, Mar 30, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Not an appetizing looking beer, with it's cloudy, pale gold body and weak head. Smells rather nice, however. It has a gentle grainy aroma, with a heavy dose of sour fruit - perhaps Granny Smith apple is the best comparison. Light smell of hops present as well. Taste is smooth and refreshing. Rather grassy, with a bit of tart fruitiness. Finishes clean with some herbal hop bitterness. Good brew for an unseasonably hot day!

Viking, Oct 01, 2002