Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Lake Street Express | 18th Street Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Lake Street ExpressLake Street Express

18th Street Brewery
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by cetherid on 12-27-2013

Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 75
4.09/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 12 fl oz can with unfortunately no best by or canned on date. Poured into a Mikkeller pint glass.

Appearance: It poured a cloudy golden straw colour with a two finger white head that had good retention and left nice stick lacing.

Aroma: On the light side, but there’s tropical fruit mango and pineapple followed by some grapefruit zest and biscuit malt.

Taste: Light mango flavours followed by some nice grapefruit zest bitterness and a hint of orange.

Mouthfeel: Dry, light bodied with medium prickly carbonation.

Overall: Great fruit flavours and very easy to drink. Would have preferred a stronger aroma, but still a good sessionable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: gorgeous beer, golden straw color, semi-translucent, 2+ fingers of white head.

Smell: I don't know if this beer includes Mosaic hops, but it has the Mosaic aromas - dank, with a lemony citrus aroma that is magnificent.

Taste: a hop blitz in a velvet glove. Hops all over the place, full of flavors like lemon zest and pineapple and mango, but not a hint of booze, which is what I look for in a session ale.

Feel: very "spritzy," this feels SOOOOO much like a summertime beer.

Overall: I really enjoy a well-executed session ale, and this is exceptionally well executed. Tons of flavor, refreshing, zesty, not a lot (as in no) alcohol heat. If I lived near Gary, this beer would occupy a shelf in my beer fridge in the summer.

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy lemon yellow brew, topped by a sizable fluffy white head with excellent retention and lovely lacing. It takes some patience to finish the pour.

Obvious hop notes in the aroma: grassy, herbal, floral, and grapefruit pulp. There's a touch of grainy pale malt, as well, but no yeast or malt sweetness.

Familiar SIPA flavor: dry biscuit malt which serves only as a base for the hop explosion. Sticky sweet (dank) notes quickly overwhelm the grapefruit peel that first hits the tongue. A touch of orange accompanies the back-end.

A touch more body than many SIPAs, making this fairly drinkable. A dry finish, as one would expect. Fairly long aftertaste of lingering hops.

Another well-executed SIPA, but it's still not a style I particularly love. Tasty enough beer, though, and definitely worth seeking out if you're more of a fan of the style than I.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A clean and refreshing scent with sharp citrus, light grain, grass, hints of grapefruit rind and a mild dankness. More grain in the flavor, but the same citrus, and grapefruit rind characteristics are here too, with a nice bitter grassy finish. It's under-carbonated for my liking, but it's a great beer.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this as an extra, and read the can as a session IPA, so wasn't real excited. Upon opening I was surprised, and after further inspection realized it's a session APA (even more confused). I really like this, Citra is well evident but doesn't beat you over the head like some beers do, and I love mosaic hops. Very refreshing, but unlike other sessions there is enough malt presence not to think your drinking hop water. Not my favorite style, but I would but in a heartbeat if I had access to it.

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I think this is a Simcoe/Citra session APA because the ABV's too low for an IPA. Finishes a little too bitter but is otherwise superbly crushable. Great job by 18th street. Will buy again.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Simple and crushable. This was easily picked as a favorite of me and the fellas. We each stomped on a 6er while hanging out at the park and wanted more!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Got this in a trade from [USER=BourbonBob]

I'm not much of a hop head... rarely drink pale's or IPAs... this was a little gift, and I heard great things, so I had to give it a try. (anyhow, all of that said, I may not be the best judge of this style).

Pour looked almost over carbonated, huge frothy head that slowly dissipated into a thin lingering lace.

Aroma was great, very strong floral/citrus... loved it.

Taste, this is where I was afraid, I was expecting the bitterness to be just as strong as the smell, but not so... the flavor was there without the bitter bite. As a non-hop-head, I enjoyed this.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin... especially compared to the last few stouts I've had lately... but for a session beer (or a pale ale I never drink) it's probably spot on.

Overall, I liked it more than I expected (given its outside of my usual preferences), I think come summer I'll be stocking up on this one.

Lake Street Express from 18th Street Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.