Lake Street Express - 18th Street Brewery

Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy lemon yellow brew, topped by a sizable fluffy white head with excellent retention and lovely lacing. It takes some patience to finish the pour.

Obvious hop notes in the aroma: grassy, herbal, floral, and grapefruit pulp. There's a touch of grainy pale malt, as well, but no yeast or malt sweetness.

Familiar SIPA flavor: dry biscuit malt which serves only as a base for the hop explosion. Sticky sweet (dank) notes quickly overwhelm the grapefruit peel that first hits the tongue. A touch of orange accompanies the back-end.

A touch more body than many SIPAs, making this fairly drinkable. A dry finish, as one would expect. Fairly long aftertaste of lingering hops.

Another well-executed SIPA, but it's still not a style I particularly love. Tasty enough beer, though, and definitely worth seeking out if you're more of a fan of the style than I.

Great sessionable APA, taste is on point. No glassware needed straight can to mouth beer. It's a beer drinkers beer for sure

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can must have been old / something must have happened to it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A clean and refreshing scent with sharp citrus, light grain, grass, hints of grapefruit rind and a mild dankness. More grain in the flavor, but the same citrus, and grapefruit rind characteristics are here too, with a nice bitter grassy finish. It's under-carbonated for my liking, but it's a great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was easily picked as a favorite of me and the fellas. We each stomped on a 6er while hanging out at the park and wanted more!

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Got this in a trade from [USER=BourbonBob]

I'm not much of a hop head... rarely drink pale's or IPAs... this was a little gift, and I heard great things, so I had to give it a try. (anyhow, all of that said, I may not be the best judge of this style).

Pour looked almost over carbonated, huge frothy head that slowly dissipated into a thin lingering lace.

Aroma was great, very strong floral/citrus... loved it.

Taste, this is where I was afraid, I was expecting the bitterness to be just as strong as the smell, but not so... the flavor was there without the bitter bite. As a non-hop-head, I enjoyed this.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin... especially compared to the last few stouts I've had lately... but for a session beer (or a pale ale I never drink) it's probably spot on.

Overall, I liked it more than I expected (given its outside of my usual preferences), I think come summer I'll be stocking up on this one.

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this as an extra, and read the can as a session IPA, so wasn't real excited. Upon opening I was surprised, and after further inspection realized it's a session APA (even more confused). I really like this, Citra is well evident but doesn't beat you over the head like some beers do, and I love mosaic hops. Very refreshing, but unlike other sessions there is enough malt presence not to think your drinking hop water. Not my favorite style, but I would but in a heartbeat if I had access to it.

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I think this is a Simcoe/Citra APA. Finishes a little too bitter but is otherwise superbly crushable

Lake Street Express from 18th Street Brewery