Winter Snack - Apocalypse Ale Works

pDev: n/a
Apocalypse Ale Works
Virginia, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cjgiant on 01-04-2014)
Reviews by TaylorK:
4.5/5  rDev n/a

4.25/5  rDev n/a

3.75/5  rDev n/a

3.64/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Whole Foods. Listed there as "stout with cinnamon, oatmeal, raisins, and orange peel". I chose Oatmeal Stout based in this, could find no information anywhere to help me. Also assumed this would be a winter release. Please correct as appropriate.

A: dark brown towards black, with off-white head sustained by continuing carbonation, mostly along the edges. Significant lacing.

S: actually slightly surprisingly to me... oatmeal is the main smell I get. I do also get cinnamon and some tart raisin (white raisin vs than dark, actually, if that makes any sense). I am not sure it's a proper smell for a stout, but it hits the description.

T: starts out coffee-bitter, some roasted quality to it. Then I get some dark fruit (perhaps the raisin taste is more "normal" than the nose), tending towards fig, even. There is also a slight a bitter-honey taste right before the oat tastes come in. This taste just lingers, fading into some bitterness of the end feel.

M: there is carbonation throughout, not as smooth as I might think of for a stout. The end bitterness is a little oily and coating. Feel is not the strong point of this beer. (Note: recently over a cold when I reviewed).

O: a more-complex-than-expected beer, but it is all in the smell and flavor profile, which I don't think quite fall into the style. If there were a category of "spiced stout" (I don't think there is on BA), this might fall into it, with a higher rating. It's an interesting and not bad beer, worth a try to see if it fits your palate.

Winter Snack from Apocalypse Ale Works
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.