Join our email list →

Ohio, United States | website

American Stout | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: JimmyFlatRock on 02-15-2014

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This was very good. Pours very dark, almost black, with a nice light brown head about 1" tall. You taste the cocoa first and then the raspberry hits leaving a lingering tart taste. I really liked this beer and was pleased with the results coming from a can!

Sweet and smooth. Chocolate taste but not overpowering. Great for a dessert beer or in the winter. Glad they are canning. Excellent job. Smell the cocoa

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoyed from the the growler via Jungle Jim's in a snifter. This nice stout pours a rich black with a nice head of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring, soapy layer, and spotty lacing. Nose of sweet chocolate and raspberry puree...one dimensional, but those dimensions are excellent. Flavors exceed the nose with rich raspberry and mild semi sweet chocolate awash in sweet cream and dusted with confectioners sugar. Medium notes of roast and char present themselves on the sides and back with a lightly bitter roasted malt note on the aftertaste. Medium mouth feel, slick and quaffable, medium body that is coating. A sizable brew that is the equal of the sum of it's parts. A chocolate covered cherry that substituted a raspberry with cream. A fine finishing brew.

If you are a one trick pony and do that trick very well there should be no complaints. I have none.

Cheers

4.16/5  rDev -1%

I really liked this. Not a big Stout guy, but it's cold out and the fella at the Growler Stop gave this glowing reviews. The chocolate and raspberry is very apparent, but not overdone. Smooth and very good. By comparison I recently had a Rhinegeist Panther (a brewer I really like) and I'd take this one all day over that beer.

3.99/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours black in color with a small little head atop the beer.

Aroma is of red raspberries up front an then something that reminds me of chocolate. Or better yet a box of "surprise" chocolates.

The taste is of those raspberry cream dark chocolates you would get inside the above mentioned box of chocolates. It's actually not too bad, I wish I would've bought a second can to share with the wifey. I am giving them a high score in the taste category because I imagine this is the exact taste the brewer was going for, and it's pretty damned good.

The mouthfeel is relatively thin. That is really the only downside I could find within this beer.

Stouts are my thing. Raspberries are not. However, if you are into both, I would highly suggest this beer, as it seems to showcase both very well.

3.82/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

SMELL (4.5) - Now, the first thing you notice about this beer is the SMELL, and not the APPEARANCE. As soon as you open the can and begin pouring you can smell chocolate covered raspberries and/or chocolate raspberry truffles. Really amazing aroma on this stout.

APPEARANCE (3.75) - Pours a very dark color that I'm not entirely sure is pure black because of the ever-so-slightly purple tinted glass I've poured the beer into. Didn't mean to do that. Gonna give the beer the benefit of the doubt and, despite the raspberry additions, assume that it is, in fact, pitch black. Levels a frothy beige, two-finger head that doesn't stick around all that long and doesn't leave much lacing. It does remain as a thin cap over the beer for the duration of the drinking experience.

TASTE (3.5) - Oddly simple. Not bad, but, for a 7% stout I was expecting more malt character. I'm getting very light chocolate and very light raspberry, and that's pretty much it. A mildly grain-y taste near the end that's quickly washed away by the raspberry. Not really that sweet even. Not nearly as much going on here as in the aroma.

FEEL (3.0) - Creamy with a medium body on the lighter side. The malts do contribute here with a somewhat ashy/chalky feeling, which, to me, is great as long as it doesn't accompany an ashy/chalky TASTE, which gladly in this brew it did not. I've a feeling there's some flaked oats in here as well contributing some odd sort of roundness to this otherwise thin-ish brew.

OVERALL (3.75) - A let down from the potential and from the stellar aroma. If the flavor could have matched the smell on this thing, hoo boy, the craft-drinking world would have been in for a treat. But I don't think even a heavy-bodied imperial version of this guy could deliver on the promise held in this beer's aroma. Madtree is onto something though. I hope they continue to work with this beer and it's potential. This has been my first beer from Madtree, but it won't be my last. Certainly a satisfying brew.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice cocoa and roast malt base, a touch on the sweet side, with moderate raspberry presence. The raspberry flavorings seems a bit artificial. Lacks the typical 'skin' notes, but could be masked by sweetness.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Growler poured into a pint glass. Poured about three fingers of head that took nearly a full minute before leaving copious amounts of lacing. Aroma is highly cocoa, with a pleasant tint of raspberry. Taste followed as you would expect from the aroma: chocolate w/berry aftertaste and a slight warming alcoholic note (whether intentional or not, I found myself tasting Graeter's black raspberry chocolate ice cream). It almost reminded me of a thinner milk stout. An excellent beer from an up-and-coming Cincinnati brewery. I don't know if Rubus Cacao has been canned/bottled by Madtree, but they should continue producing this stout-lover's favorite.

Rubus Cacao from MadTree Brewing
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.