Brawny - MadTree Brewing

No picture uploaded.

MadTree Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: speedvagen on 04-19-2014)
4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from my growler into a Founders snifter. The pour is very dark, but not opaque. When held to the light, one sees ruby and mahogany light seeping through. A rushed pour produced a perfect 2-finger head with good retention. The nose is full of roast. I get good levels of coffee, roasted malt, slightly overdone cookies, and maple syrup. Not much hop aroma intruding on all that marvelous roast.

Medium body and a little thin for my liking, but good solid roastiness up front and moderate hop notes at mid-palate. Flavors include coffee, unsweetened chocolate, toasted nuts, and a hint of black tea. The finish is rather dry and lingers nicely.

A solid porter, but not one that I would consider top-shelf. For my own palate, it would definitely benefit from some additional malt sweetness and added body and I hope the brewer continues to tweak this beer. Nevertheless, this beer has a lot of flavor and definitely treated my porter withdrawal. I'm very glad this brewery is close to me. They're turning out some quality beers and (hopefully) are just getting started.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Brawny from MadTree Brewing
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.