PsycHOPathy IPA - MadTree Brewing

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: Brew33 on 04-09-2013

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy golden straw that pours a small head with little retention. Very minor lacing.
Smell: Citrus (orange mainly) hops with subtle grass and malt notes.
Taste: Citrus hops (orange, grapefruit) and pine hops supported by a subtle malt backbone. Flavor finishes with a nice caramel.
Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Overall very smooth
Overall: This IPA is quite flavorful and very complex. It takes the expected hop characteristics of an IPA and adds a good chunk of complexity with the subtle malt. Highly recommended.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

Cincy beers are taking off. Mad Tree Psychopathy is one that gets a lot of talk in the area as ipa's are so popular.

This beer is pretty good on its own.

A very straw like color with a pure white head. It is clear that they want the hops to be the focus. A bit of haziness.

Mny beer was canned on 10/22 and enjoyed on 11/15 so freshness should not be an issue.

The smell is aggressive hops that are particularly grassy. I can smell the malt sweetness which is unexpected for such a pale beer.

The best way to describe the taste is aggressive hop grassiness.

I prefer my ipa to have more pine, citrus flavors.

I suspect this is dryhopped aggressively with pellet hops. I get these grassy hazy characteristics with my homebrews if I dry hop with a loose bag and use pellets.

Pretty good ipa on its own but it simply cannot compare to Rhinegeist Truth(a Cincy ipa that is one of the best ipa's in the country IMHO).

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a golden color with a light haze. Has an aroma of dank resin hops. Flavor is pretty light compared to the aroma. Has mild pine flavors and the aftertaste fades off quickly. Overall solid IPA but could have a better finish and mouthfeel.

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, dated July 2015, into a snifter.

A: Clear but limited clarity in the gold-amber body. Moderate size but short lived head leaves spotty lacing on the glass.

Aroma - very fruity, with plenty of citrus, mainly orange. Suggests more tartness than sweetness. Good complexity.

Feel: Medium body and near medium carbonation. Crisp and dry.

Flavor: Some sweet malt; enough to leave this IPA with relatively low bitterness for style. The hoppy characteristics still dominate, with tropical fruit, herbal and evergreen notes.

Overall: Low bitterness but plenty of hops for an IPA.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a golden color. Hoppy aroma, citrusy and crisp, but not as intense as you may expect. The flavor is aa clean, hoppy combination of grassy and citrus rind (mostly lemon) notes. Carbonation is nice. Definitely worth trying if you think its something you're interested in.

Darker in color. More flavor going forward with the hops hitting the back end.
Smells great. A solid beer that I would put up against most in the country.

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Light copper with a big white head and ample lacing. Aromas are soft. Notes of light grass, orange rind, grapefruit pulp, light piney resin. Medium body, slightly slick and good carbonation. Overall it's a decent IPA, above average but not quite world class.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

A: strAw yellow. Minimal opaque head

S: citrus. Floral. Hops. Lemon pe

T: more floral notes. Bitter resin. Some citrus fruit zest. Not much malt.

F: light. Crisp. Bitter on the palate.

O: quite good. Easy to drink. Good flavor

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Real nice, drinkable beer. Pours a light gold with a thick head that lasts. Aroma of orange, grapefruit and pine. Tastes more like a hoppy APA - clean, refreshing with a moderate bitterness at the end. Very enjoyable IPA; you can drink three cans without feeling overwhelmed by a sticky, cloying aftertaste.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can to a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Mildly hazed light orange color. Two finger of pillowy off-white head. Retention is very good and tons of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Grassy first, floral next, with lemon and orange citrus rounding it off. Malts are overall pretty clean with some doughiness and a bit of yeasty breadiness poking through. Mild caramel sweetness to round it off.

3.75 T: Mild bitterness. A touch sugary. Lemon, mango, and orange citrus lead the way this time. Floral and grassiness are there, but take a back seat. Again it's clean overall with a light yeast and doughiness. Light caramel.

3.5 M: Medium body. A bit chewy. Good moderate carbonation and supremely smooth.

3.75 D: Pleasantly tasty and easily drinkable.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not having a good beer day. I'm trying a bunch of obscure to me brews from down state. None have been outstanding. All have been bummers. This one is better than most, but that's not sa saying Much.

It's pretty enough in the glass. Light yellow. Nice fizz.

The aroma is a nice dry bitterness.

The taste is not quite as bad as theone dimensional dry hoppyales. But it's close.

It's avery satisfying drink. If you like this style you should fry this. I will all our other Madtree brews!

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a pale/clear orange with a mostly floral aroma. There is a crispness to this IPA that sets apart from others. The sting of the hops is immediate and pulls itself to the back of the tongue. Has a feel that is almost light and session-esque. I really enjoyed this beer. Some complexity, but pretty straight forward as the floral and grassy notes dominate, but the citrus does fight it's way through. Must say that Mad Tree is killing it down in Cincy.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tastey IPA that is completely dependable to fill the hop void. Nothing extraordinary in terms of hop punch. Bottom of can "07/15/2015 hopsta la vista baby". Cool touch. Canned from TJs Columbus.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

Dated sometime in June (bad print) poured in to a snifter/tulip on July 23.

Look - Darker yellow. Thick ivory head with fine to medium bubbles. Lacing.

Smell - Light pine. Light resin. Light lemon. Light grapefruit.

Taste - Malt. Followed by pine. Followed by grapefruit and other citrus. Finishes back to malt.

Feel - Well carbonated but doesn't really explode. Tingle on tongue. Medium body.

Overall - This is MadTree's butter. Not a terrible IPA. I am surprised with the 6.9% as it drinks like a session. Pick up their IIPAS! Galaxy High!

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden with a nice white head. Aroma offers citrus juice and its rind, florals, pine, and some baked bread. Flavor follows suit and dangerously sessionable. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, further proof that Ohio knows how to brew a great IPA. I couldn't stop drinking this one during my trip in Cincinnati and had to bring a sixer back home with me. Great stuff, I wish I had access to this one all the time. Would be a staple in my fridge for sure.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap and was amazed. Tastes fresh and crisp, very clean and pleasant. It's an easy-drinking IPA. The second time I had it out of a can and was a little disappointed but hey an IPA in a can isn't perfect. I would try to pour it into a glass next time. One of my favorites.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Translucent, vibrant gold in color with a super-sticky head of white foam, 1 finger's width in height. Very cool details in the foam - reminded me of looking at the moon. Good carbonation. Somewhat weak aroma - hard to pick out anything specific aside from grapefruit/mango and citrus. Medium weight, and a very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Wow. Sweet malt, grapefruit/mango and pine resin up front on the taste. A beautiful hoppy character comes to life on the back end with a perfect amount of bitterness. Finishes smooth and leaves a dry-hopped bitter aftertaste with notes of pine and grapefruit lingering.

Overall, very good. Probably the best beer I've had from Madtree. A little on the sweet side, but plenty of pine and hops for anybody who likes a piney IPA. I dare say that I liked this better than Citra High.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a solid, enjoyable IPA. Nothing really stood out either positively or negatively, for what it's worth. A good option when out in a bar, but not worth seeking out.

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Ah, The CANQuest (tm) is an unCANtrollable beast these days! I unleashed it, thinking that I CAN CANtrol its movements, only to realize that the CAN wags the man and NOT vice versa. It is driving me mad!

From the CAN: "Madness in a CAN. Embrace the madness. Embrace the CANs."; "Drink Hoppy"; "The "; "Illustration: Margaret Weiner [;] Treemark: Christopher Daniel [;] CAN Design: John Pattison".

I heard a nice loud Crack! and as I CANmenced the Glug, I was forcefully interrupted by two nice gentlemen in white coats who put me into an I-Love-Me jacket and hauled me off to LGH for PsycHOPathy in a lovely padded, rubber room. I explained to my roommate, Norman Bates, that just like him, I wouldn't hurt a fly. I have been known to kill a beer or two, as Mother CAN attest, but mad? Me? Drinking a Winter Warmer in the summer isn't a crime. It gave me time to reflect back on the finger of foamy, off-white head that developed and then fell, leaving nice lacing in its wake. I remember well its Golden-Amber color (SRM = > 5, < 7) with its NE-quality clarity and how those Golden Madmen, Croesus, Mammon and Midas paid me a visit. Perhaps they will visit me here as I am told that I am on an extended stay. I CANsider the whiff of succulent hops that I got upon putting my nose in the glass as they burst in my front door and my mouth waters. The mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I initially CANfused it with a DIPA as they wrested the glass from my hands. Looking back, the intensity of the hops may have been what precipitated my howling like a wolf in heat, but it simply could not be helped! The various flavors as outlined on the CAN just took 'hold like nothing else. "Floral, grassy, and citrus", indeed! Why don't they put warning labels on these CANs? I must ask my PsycHOPathist during our next session. The finish was dry. Gaspingly dry, although in fairness, that may have been due to the chokehold that was being applied to my throat. Ooh, they are coming with a syringe! I do hope that it is filled with hop oil as I am beginning to jones and need a fix. Please, sir, CAN I have another?

Drinkeable but it couldn't impress me. Just wasnt't hitting the right notes.
Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, will update if I feel different.

Big citrus and pine. Really oily and delicious. Cans seem to be taking over. I would certainly get this again, I just wish I didn't have to go out of state to get it.

MadTree PsycHOPathy

Look 8/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 89/100

Summery: I really enjoyed this. Very creamy and smooth as hell! It's not available in my area, if it were I would buy it regularly at the price point. Good stuff~

2.57/5  rDev -35.1%

I purchased a six-pack from a local beer retailer in the Dayton, Ohio area (about an hour drive from the brewery, though that doesn't preclude the possibility of getting an old/defective batch). Drank from a clean pint glass. Slippery mouthfeel. About halfway through, the distinct odor of dirty feet/socks. Diacetyl ? Isovaleric acid ? Brett ? A wild yeast / bacterial infection ? As a proud Buckeye, I wanted to like this beer. It's readily available in my area, and coupled with the generally favorable reviews that Madtree & its brews receive, I will give it another shot and, hopefully, will be able to update my rating, if warranted.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Clear yellow-gold, with slight casting and big white head that fades in time. Huge lacing as you drink. Nice.

S - Pine and resin are core, with a nice punch of lemon citrus and grapefruit pith. Floral and some herbal notes, too.

T - Powerfully bitter, but with a solid fruitiness in the form of orange and lemon. Cracker malt. Bitter close that trails.

M - Brisk carbonation, crunchy, with a bitterness in the close that builds.

O - Strong IPA, with bright and sinewy hop notes. The bitterness in the close is a bit much, but overall it is still an enjoyable beer, just one I do not follow with another IPA for fear of blowing my palate.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a solid ipa all around for madtree. This is one of go to beers. The hops are nice and is great and citrusy. This and white rajah are a couple of the better ones out there along with rhinegeist

PsycHOPathy IPA from MadTree Brewing