PsycHOPathy IPA - MadTree Brewing

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: Brew33 on 04-09-2013

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
3.08/5  rDev -22%

Much thanks to my friends Richard and Alanna for grabbing me this brew.

A: Pale yellow straw in color, with good clarity and a nice amount of white rocky head on top.

S: Pine and grapefruit peel with small notes of orange peel as well. There may even be a hint of lemon balm in there. Nice super clean hoppy smell, not a lot as far as caramel sweetness. Smells nice.

T: Clean bitterness with grapefruit being the predominant flavor. Some pine and light citrus. Not a lot as far as a malt profile goes.

M: Fairly light body, in fact a little too light. There is a nice dryness to it, but leaves the mouth wanting a bit of gravity. There is a slight oily feel from the hops and certainly an assertive bitterness.

O: The alcohol is in there somewhere, but it isn't too obvious. For me the flavor is a little one note, it's hoppy, and that's about it. It's bordering on a little watery for me, and the lack of malt flavor makes it seem like a one trick pony. (962 characters)

Drinkeable but it couldn't impress me. Just wasnt't hitting the right notes.
Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, will update if I feel different. (155 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.8%

I found this to be a very average IPA. I love the hop but this one didn't live up to the hype. As I write this, I'm sitting at the brewery, 6 feet from the tap. It is just an average beer. What a bummer. Their Galaxy High Imperial IPA is much more in line with what I expected. It's a very good beer. Psychopathy is just average. (329 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -34.9%

I purchased a six-pack from a local beer retailer in the Dayton, Ohio area (about an hour drive from the brewery, though that doesn't preclude the possibility of getting an old/defective batch). Drank from a clean pint glass. Slippery mouthfeel. About halfway through, the distinct odor of dirty feet/socks. Diacetyl ? Isovaleric acid ? Brett ? A wild yeast / bacterial infection ? As a proud Buckeye, I wanted to like this beer. It's readily available in my area, and coupled with the generally favorable reviews that Madtree & its brews receive, I will give it another shot and, hopefully, will be able to update my rating, if warranted. (639 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last