PsycHOPathy IPA - MadTree Brewing

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: Brew33 on 04-09-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a solid ipa all around for madtree. This is one of go to beers. The hops are nice and is great and citrusy. This and white rajah are a couple of the better ones out there along with rhinegeist (197 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a one finger, thick white head.

The hops in this really smack you in the face with lemon/lime and tropical citrus notes. There is really a lot of grass that comes through as well. Just the slightest bit of vanilla too.

Creamy lemon and lime in the flavor followed by some juicy tropical fruit; closely follows the aroma. Very crisp bitterness wit enough malt to keep the hops from being overwhelming. Everything cleans up very nicely towards the finish with some light bread and just the tiniest bit of sweetness.

Overall, a very good IPA from a smallish regional brewery. Impressive from a young brewery and really deserves to be better known. (715 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I was able to try this on tap at Flipdaddy's Mason location.

PsycHOPathy came to the table a very light gold in color. A one finger, snow white head on top. The aroma was outstanding. Big, juicy hop aromas. Oranges, grapefruit, some generic tropical fruit aromas.

I loved this beer. Lots of late addition hopping is evident. The malt profile is subtle and provides a great base for the abundance of hops. Not overly bitter for such a full flavored IPA. Quite refreshing for such a hoppy beer. Dry, light, and well carbonated. Finishes incredibly quickly and has you craving another drink. Alcohol is well masked.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. I can't wait until the cans begin hitting local stores. This may become a staple in my fridge. Well done MadTree. I can't wait to try more of your beers. (812 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap and was amazed. Tastes fresh and crisp, very clean and pleasant. It's an easy-drinking IPA. The second time I had it out of a can and was a little disappointed but hey an IPA in a can isn't perfect. I would try to pour it into a glass next time. One of my favorites. (280 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: First off i want to say the design on this can is awesome! poured a light copper. a good amount of carbonation is coming up from the bottom on this. it left a two finger bright white head with large bubbles that held on well.

S: first thing that catches me a sweet tropical fruit note. pineapple, fresh orange juice and a touch of grapefruit. there is a floral note on the end.

T: Very earthy and floral. Herbal. a little onion in there as well with a nice dry bitter finish. But there is a nice caramel sweet malt backbone. and the more i drink the more the citrus shines! orange zest, a squeeze a lemon and a dry grapefruit. an herbal pine in there as well! some acid on the finish makes your mouth crave more. balanced nicely.

M: its pretty light on the palate. medium carbonation. the bitterness is sticking around on the middle of my tongue which is excellent.

O: This is a great brew! its refreshing but bursting with flavor. The aroma is much more tropical fruit forward than the flavor but its has alot of citrus and earthy, herbal, resin in the flavor. this is a great session ipa and i could probably drink a case of them! 91 (1,145 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden with nice white head into my dogfish head IPA glass.

Nose is piney and boasts white grapefruit.

Crisp bite of carbonation and hops followed by bready and grassy characters. Nice background bitterness with a slightly bigger hop notes in the finish. Goes over very well and it is so easy to drink.

Love this beer. Madtree does it very well and the can keep so easily. Vets fresh and very drinkable. (412 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours out in a light clear yellow color with a hint of orange in there. It pours out with a 2-3 finger rocky head with some sticking on the glass.

The aroma is killer. Tons of big sweet tropical and citrus fruit. You get mango, pineapple, and just tons and tons of sweet sweet tangerine, peach, orange. There’s a bit of sweet caramel malt in the back too, but it’s mostly that big fruity aroma.

The flavor hits your tongue first some bitterness, then there’s tons of roundy fruity flavors. You get that citrus and mango and tropical. Then the beer hits you hard with that really strong dry, grapefruit pith bitterness. It’s quite strong, but refreshing as well. That truly is the highlight of the beer. It pops up on you and is so refreshing.

There’s a good balance with this beer because of the bready malt in the middle, but it’s not overly sweet and balances quite well with the hops, while still being a hugely hop bomb.

Unfortunately there’s no date on this beautiful lime green can, but it sure tasted fresh.

This was a pleasantly amazing surprise for an extra from a beer trade. Wow, this stuff is killer. For context, I would say this pushes towards more than clean hop, but sweet malty IPA. This is definitely less sweet and more of that strong longing bitterness than 60 Minute. I would actually say it’s just a better made version of that beer. (1,387 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Everything I've ever wanted in an IPA. Balanced, but lets the hops do the talking with not too much malt. No added sweetness, but still so incredibly fruity. Scarily easy to drink. Cannot be beaten fresh from the brewery out of the can. Outstanding! (249 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

Ah, The CANQuest (tm) is an unCANtrollable beast these days! I unleashed it, thinking that I CAN CANtrol its movements, only to realize that the CAN wags the man and NOT vice versa. It is driving me mad!

From the CAN: "Madness in a CAN. Embrace the madness. Embrace the CANs."; "Drink Hoppy"; "The "; "Illustration: Margaret Weiner [;] Treemark: Christopher Daniel [;] CAN Design: John Pattison".

I heard a nice loud Crack! and as I CANmenced the Glug, I was forcefully interrupted by two nice gentlemen in white coats who put me into an I-Love-Me jacket and hauled me off to LGH for PsycHOPathy in a lovely padded, rubber room. I explained to my roommate, Norman Bates, that just like him, I wouldn't hurt a fly. I have been known to kill a beer or two, as Mother CAN attest, but mad? Me? Drinking a Winter Warmer in the summer isn't a crime. It gave me time to reflect back on the finger of foamy, off-white head that developed and then fell, leaving nice lacing in its wake. I remember well its Golden-Amber color (SRM = > 5, < 7) with its NE-quality clarity and how those Golden Madmen, Croesus, Mammon and Midas paid me a visit. Perhaps they will visit me here as I am told that I am on an extended stay. I CANsider the whiff of succulent hops that I got upon putting my nose in the glass as they burst in my front door and my mouth waters. The mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I initially CANfused it with a DIPA as they wrested the glass from my hands. Looking back, the intensity of the hops may have been what precipitated my howling like a wolf in heat, but it simply could not be helped! The various flavors as outlined on the CAN just took 'hold like nothing else. "Floral, grassy, and citrus", indeed! Why don't they put warning labels on these CANs? I must ask my PsycHOPathist during our next session. The finish was dry. Gaspingly dry, although in fairness, that may have been due to the chokehold that was being applied to my throat. Ooh, they are coming with a syringe! I do hope that it is filled with hop oil as I am beginning to jones and need a fix. Please, sir, CAN I have another? (2,114 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last