PsycHOPathy IPA - MadTree Brewing

MadTree Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: Brew33 on 04-09-2013

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not having a good beer day. I'm trying a bunch of obscure to me brews from down state. None have been outstanding. All have been bummers. This one is better than most, but that's not sa saying Much.

It's pretty enough in the glass. Light yellow. Nice fizz.

The aroma is a nice dry bitterness.

The taste is not quite as bad as theone dimensional dry hoppyales. But it's close.

It's avery satisfying drink. If you like this style you should fry this. I will all our other Madtree brews! (501 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pale/clear orange with a mostly floral aroma. There is a crispness to this IPA that sets apart from others. The sting of the hops is immediate and pulls itself to the back of the tongue. Has a feel that is almost light and session-esque. I really enjoyed this beer. Some complexity, but pretty straight forward as the floral and grassy notes dominate, but the citrus does fight it's way through. Must say that Mad Tree is killing it down in Cincy. (455 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tastey IPA that is completely dependable to fill the hop void. Nothing extraordinary in terms of hop punch. Bottom of can "07/15/2015 hopsta la vista baby". Cool touch. Canned from TJs Columbus. (195 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Dated sometime in June (bad print) poured in to a snifter/tulip on July 23.

Look - Darker yellow. Thick ivory head with fine to medium bubbles. Lacing.

Smell - Light pine. Light resin. Light lemon. Light grapefruit.

Taste - Malt. Followed by pine. Followed by grapefruit and other citrus. Finishes back to malt.

Feel - Well carbonated but doesn't really explode. Tingle on tongue. Medium body.

Overall - This is MadTree's butter. Not a terrible IPA. I am surprised with the 6.9% as it drinks like a session. Pick up their IIPAS! Galaxy High! (550 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden with a nice white head. Aroma offers citrus juice and its rind, florals, pine, and some baked bread. Flavor follows suit and dangerously sessionable. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, further proof that Ohio knows how to brew a great IPA. I couldn't stop drinking this one during my trip in Cincinnati and had to bring a sixer back home with me. Great stuff, I wish I had access to this one all the time. Would be a staple in my fridge for sure. (460 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap and was amazed. Tastes fresh and crisp, very clean and pleasant. It's an easy-drinking IPA. The second time I had it out of a can and was a little disappointed but hey an IPA in a can isn't perfect. I would try to pour it into a glass next time. One of my favorites. (280 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Translucent, vibrant gold in color with a super-sticky head of white foam, 1 finger's width in height. Very cool details in the foam - reminded me of looking at the moon. Good carbonation. Somewhat weak aroma - hard to pick out anything specific aside from grapefruit/mango and citrus. Medium weight, and a very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Wow. Sweet malt, grapefruit/mango and pine resin up front on the taste. A beautiful hoppy character comes to life on the back end with a perfect amount of bitterness. Finishes smooth and leaves a dry-hopped bitter aftertaste with notes of pine and grapefruit lingering.

Overall, very good. Probably the best beer I've had from Madtree. A little on the sweet side, but plenty of pine and hops for anybody who likes a piney IPA. I dare say that I liked this better than Citra High. (845 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a solid, enjoyable IPA. Nothing really stood out either positively or negatively, for what it's worth. A good option when out in a bar, but not worth seeking out. (173 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

Ah, The CANQuest (tm) is an unCANtrollable beast these days! I unleashed it, thinking that I CAN CANtrol its movements, only to realize that the CAN wags the man and NOT vice versa. It is driving me mad!

From the CAN: "Madness in a CAN. Embrace the madness. Embrace the CANs."; "Drink Hoppy"; "The "; "Illustration: Margaret Weiner [;] Treemark: Christopher Daniel [;] CAN Design: John Pattison".

I heard a nice loud Crack! and as I CANmenced the Glug, I was forcefully interrupted by two nice gentlemen in white coats who put me into an I-Love-Me jacket and hauled me off to LGH for PsycHOPathy in a lovely padded, rubber room. I explained to my roommate, Norman Bates, that just like him, I wouldn't hurt a fly. I have been known to kill a beer or two, as Mother CAN attest, but mad? Me? Drinking a Winter Warmer in the summer isn't a crime. It gave me time to reflect back on the finger of foamy, off-white head that developed and then fell, leaving nice lacing in its wake. I remember well its Golden-Amber color (SRM = > 5, < 7) with its NE-quality clarity and how those Golden Madmen, Croesus, Mammon and Midas paid me a visit. Perhaps they will visit me here as I am told that I am on an extended stay. I CANsider the whiff of succulent hops that I got upon putting my nose in the glass as they burst in my front door and my mouth waters. The mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I initially CANfused it with a DIPA as they wrested the glass from my hands. Looking back, the intensity of the hops may have been what precipitated my howling like a wolf in heat, but it simply could not be helped! The various flavors as outlined on the CAN just took 'hold like nothing else. "Floral, grassy, and citrus", indeed! Why don't they put warning labels on these CANs? I must ask my PsycHOPathist during our next session. The finish was dry. Gaspingly dry, although in fairness, that may have been due to the chokehold that was being applied to my throat. Ooh, they are coming with a syringe! I do hope that it is filled with hop oil as I am beginning to jones and need a fix. Please, sir, CAN I have another? (2,114 characters)

Drinkeable but it couldn't impress me. Just wasnt't hitting the right notes.
Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, will update if I feel different. (155 characters)

Big citrus and pine. Really oily and delicious. Cans seem to be taking over. I would certainly get this again, I just wish I didn't have to go out of state to get it. (166 characters)

MadTree PsycHOPathy

Look 8/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 89/100

Summery: I really enjoyed this. Very creamy and smooth as hell! It's not available in my area, if it were I would buy it regularly at the price point. Good stuff~ (357 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -34.8%

I purchased a six-pack from a local beer retailer in the Dayton, Ohio area (about an hour drive from the brewery, though that doesn't preclude the possibility of getting an old/defective batch). Drank from a clean pint glass. Slippery mouthfeel. About halfway through, the distinct odor of dirty feet/socks. Diacetyl ? Isovaleric acid ? Brett ? A wild yeast / bacterial infection ? As a proud Buckeye, I wanted to like this beer. It's readily available in my area, and coupled with the generally favorable reviews that Madtree & its brews receive, I will give it another shot and, hopefully, will be able to update my rating, if warranted. (639 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Clear yellow-gold, with slight casting and big white head that fades in time. Huge lacing as you drink. Nice.

S - Pine and resin, with a nice punch of lemon citrus and grapefruit pith. Floral and some herbal notes, too.

T - Powerfully bitter, but with a solid fruitiness in the form of orange and lemon. Cracker malt. Bitter close that trails.

M - Brisk carbonation, crunchy, with a bitterness in the close that builds.

O - Strong IPA, with bright and sinewy hop notes. The bitterness in the close is a bit much, but overall it is still an enjoyable beer, just one I do not follow with another IPA for fear of blowing my palate. (642 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a solid ipa all around for madtree. This is one of go to beers. The hops are nice and is great and citrusy. This and white rajah are a couple of the better ones out there along with rhinegeist (197 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Moderate grassy and citrus hop notes up front. Light caramel notes and clean fermentation character as the beer warms.

Appearance: Hazy amber pour with a low white head. Tight bubbles fade to sticky lacing. Head retention is fair. Appears still in the glass.

Flavor: Firm earthy hop bitterness up front. Mild grassy and lemon hop flavors. A bready backbone which provides a counterpoint. The balance is easily to the firm earthy hop bitterness. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste lingers and is bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Slightly oily. No astringency or creaminess noted. No alcohol heat detected.

Overall impression: A bitter American IPA. Seems to blend into the "sea of sameness" for a lot of IPA's on the market these days. Not terrible but nothing to set it apart from the pack either. Too many other good examples out there for me to seek out again. (929 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Nice clarity. Nice bite. Nice hop influence. Pine and what seems like a touch of lemon. Nice stuff. Nice, nice, nice. I will search for better descriptors for the next beer. (173 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2%

I am partial to IPAs, so I have to be extra careful to not rate them unjustly higher relative to other styles.

I drank it straight out of the can, so I cannot really offer a rating on the beer itself, just the can. Which is cool by me. The smell is almost masked. Very low-key for an IPA. Usually they are floral; this one not so much.

Tastes great. Has a hint of nuttiness. Not incredibly bitter. Can't really taste the alcohol. Has a bit of bite at the end that tends to linger - reminiscent of their Gnarly Brown.

Feels light in the mouth. Not Coors Light light, but lighter than many others at this ABV.

Overall, I liked the beer and since I am from Ohio I tend to like it even more. (691 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a really solid ipa. Delicious floral and tropical hop flavors sustained and held nicely together by the malt backbone. Decent aroma upon opening of can as well. (168 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks @WesMantooth! Rec'd in NBS BIF #1

Good couple fingers of head, held for a spell then tapered off into a lite beautiful layer.
Citrusy lemon zest meets grapefruit, a bit piney meets grassy. Some bready malt comes through nicely.
Taste starts with citrus, goes to grassy and then bready malt that takes a backseat to an earthy bitterness. Crisp yet slightly resiny on the finish.
Overall, quite good. I will seek this out again. (434 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Looks good, Smells GREAT....taste was pretty good but something in it was a little off. I enjoyed it but I kept tasting a little hop like soapiness..... I had mine on tap....I guess there was a chance that came from the glass. Still it was enjoyable. Not a session beer... (276 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear amber yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high frothy off white head that took a long time to die down, but never completely faded away.
S: Light to moderate amounts of citrusy and grassy hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste shares some similarities to the smell, starting off with initial flavors of light citrusy hops and finishing with slightly stronger flavors of grassy hops that linger into the finish. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The grassy hops in this beer make it unique compared to other beers in the style.

Serving type: can (744 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a one finger, thick white head.

The hops in this really smack you in the face with lemon/lime and tropical citrus notes. There is really a lot of grass that comes through as well. Just the slightest bit of vanilla too.

Creamy lemon and lime in the flavor followed by some juicy tropical fruit; closely follows the aroma. Very crisp bitterness wit enough malt to keep the hops from being overwhelming. Everything cleans up very nicely towards the finish with some light bread and just the tiniest bit of sweetness.

Overall, a very good IPA from a smallish regional brewery. Impressive from a young brewery and really deserves to be better known. (715 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can. About 3 weeks old. Paid $10 for a 6 pack

A - Mostly clear. A golden, hazy, morning pee color (sorry). Fairly frothy head with moderate lacing.

S - Definitely some citrus. I would say grapefruit. Floral hops, and a sweet malt.

T - Bitter hops up front. Floral and very grassy. I imagine kind of what my yard might taste like in a blender (not entirely bad). Followed by a sweet bready taste. Bitter again on the back side with a grapefruit punch.

F - Pretty thin body. A bit watery. Maybe. Average carbonation. Slick oily finish.

O- A bit disappointed by this highly regarded IPA. Not super balanced. A lot of high and low points. A solid palate wrecker. Maybe I have had too many of Ohio's IPAs that taste like doubles/imperials... Not a bad beer at all, very good, but this may likely be my only purchase with White Rajah all around. (856 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a hazy golden orange, finger of white head, light lacing

Smell is orange, sweet bread, caramel, lemon, some spruce, a hint of grapefruit and grain

Taste is sweet orange with notes of grapefruit, pine, sweet bread, pineapple, light resin, bitter hops in the finish

Mouthfeel is medium full, with a dry finish, a bit oily

I like it, as with most Ohio IPAs I have had it is top notch, I do not know what Ohio brewers know that most states don't, but damn seems everyone of there brewers knows how to do a good IPA! (521 characters)

PsycHOPathy IPA from MadTree Brewing