Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

PsycHOPathy IPA - MadTree Brewing

PsycHOPathy IPAPsycHOPathy IPA

MadTree Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: Brew33 on 04-09-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.57/5  rDev -35.1%

I purchased a six-pack from a local beer retailer in the Dayton, Ohio area (about an hour drive from the brewery, though that doesn't preclude the possibility of getting an old/defective batch). Drank from a clean pint glass. Slippery mouthfeel. About halfway through, the distinct odor of dirty feet/socks. Diacetyl ? Isovaleric acid ? Brett ? A wild yeast / bacterial infection ? As a proud Buckeye, I wanted to like this beer. It's readily available in my area, and coupled with the generally favorable reviews that Madtree & its brews receive, I will give it another shot and, hopefully, will be able to update my rating, if warranted.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured PsycHOPathy IPA into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear dark golden with a finger of white head.

S - On first sniff getting some grapefruit, pine, slight amount of citrus.

T - Nice, getting hops, with grapefruit. It has some bitterness mid palate. Finally, on the after taste getting more pine and bitterness.

M - Medium all the way, mouthfeel and carbonation.

O - It feels like a everyday IPA. Not too heavy or too thin. Recommended! Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Real nice, drinkable beer. Pours a light gold with a thick head that lasts. Aroma of orange, grapefruit and pine. Tastes more like a hoppy APA - clean, refreshing with a moderate bitterness at the end. Very enjoyable IPA; you can drink three cans without feeling overwhelmed by a sticky, cloying aftertaste.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a pale/clear orange with a mostly floral aroma. There is a crispness to this IPA that sets apart from others. The sting of the hops is immediate and pulls itself to the back of the tongue. Has a feel that is almost light and session-esque. I really enjoyed this beer. Some complexity, but pretty straight forward as the floral and grassy notes dominate, but the citrus does fight it's way through. Must say that Mad Tree is killing it down in Cincy.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tastey IPA that is completely dependable to fill the hop void. Nothing extraordinary in terms of hop punch. Bottom of can "07/15/2015 hopsta la vista baby". Cool touch. Canned from TJs Columbus.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a solid ipa all around for madtree. This is one of go to beers. The hops are nice and is great and citrusy. This and white rajah are a couple of the better ones out there along with rhinegeist

3.82/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Looks good, Smells GREAT....taste was pretty good but something in it was a little off. I enjoyed it but I kept tasting a little hop like soapiness..... I had mine on tap....I guess there was a chance that came from the glass. Still it was enjoyable. Not a session beer...

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%

I am partial to IPAs, so I have to be extra careful to not rate them unjustly higher relative to other styles.

I drank it straight out of the can, so I cannot really offer a rating on the beer itself, just the can. Which is cool by me. The smell is almost masked. Very low-key for an IPA. Usually they are floral; this one not so much.

Tastes great. Has a hint of nuttiness. Not incredibly bitter. Can't really taste the alcohol. Has a bit of bite at the end that tends to linger - reminiscent of their Gnarly Brown.

Feels light in the mouth. Not Coors Light light, but lighter than many others at this ABV.

Overall, I liked the beer and since I am from Ohio I tend to like it even more.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap and was amazed. Tastes fresh and crisp, very clean and pleasant. It's an easy-drinking IPA. The second time I had it out of a can and was a little disappointed but hey an IPA in a can isn't perfect. I would try to pour it into a glass next time. One of my favorites.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

A hazy, golden copper, topped with a lingering frothy head and good lacing. Faint aromas of grapefruit, lemon, and orange with floral hops are resiny pine. The understated malt backbone softens the Cascade, Chinook, and Centennial hops. An easy drinking American IPA with a clever name. (6.9% ABV)

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Everything I've ever wanted in an IPA. Balanced, but lets the hops do the talking with not too much malt. No added sweetness, but still so incredibly fruity. Scarily easy to drink. Cannot be beaten fresh from the brewery out of the can. Outstanding!

2.93/5  rDev -26%

I found this to be a very average IPA. I love the hop but this one didn't live up to the hype. As I write this, I'm sitting at the brewery, 6 feet from the tap. It is just an average beer. What a bummer. Their Galaxy High Imperial IPA is much more in line with what I expected. It's a very good beer. Psychopathy is just average.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last