Mornin' Wood DIPA - Starpoint Brewing

Ratings: 15 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by tdm168:
3.61/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A - orange with a thin, soft, white head that lasts for a few seconds

S - earthy, faint malts, faint citrus

T - a mild malt presence, earthy, piney, some citrus, a faint creamy almost lactic note underneath, prevalent alcohol in the finish

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, a bit crisp, a bit warm

This is a bigger version of the Surfin' Buddha IPA. The recipe must be very similar. The alcohol here is noticeable. The hops aren't nearly as intense as I would like. The malt is noticeable but doesn't add much flavor. The same creamy note I described in my Surfin' Buddha review is present here. It's distracting to say the least. I'm sure it's from the yeast, but I'm not sure it's by design. It's not pronounced enough (in my opinion) to be infected, but if it's from the yeast, they either need to scale it back or try a new strain. In the end, this is a better beer than Surfin' Buddha, but it's still not what I'm hoping for in a new, semi-local brewery.

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours into an impy nonic a clear rich golden with a nicley formed half finger white head,i like the clarity of the pour with it's rick look.There is some hop complexity in the nose,herbal and grassy intertwined with some sharp citric notes,the sweet alcohol looms larger as it warms.This is a big candy sweet-like DIPA,the alcohol is big giving off alot of sugary sweetness along with some caramel,the hops lag behind giving off some resiny qualities.The beer started off great but the lack of big hops to combat the sugary sweetness makes it pretty average.

Just bottled this morning, so I know its fresh! Im still clearing out a cold, so I wont comment fully on aroma.

Nice pour. Light amber body, half inch of eggshell head. Looks like a damn good IPA/DIPA. Not huge on the 8% cutoff, but thats for another time and place. It looks like a good beer regardless of what it is.

Taste - I get alot of citrus fruits, but mostly dried mangoes with a hint of acidic pineapple. Its definitely a unique flavor, one that has different variants of the traditional dry hop flavors. The dryness of the mangoes and apricots really actually helps cut the sweetness down a bit. I can see how this could get unmanageable, but the dry hops help quite a bit. I definitely want more traditional dry hop citrus fruits (orange, lemon, grapefruit, and mango), but this a good beer as it sits in my glass.

It goes down smooth and easy. I cant find any real off flavors. The only knocks I have are more dry hops, which I understand come much later in a breweries cycle of life.

I would never be upset that I ordered this in a bar. It drinks exactly what youd expect, tastes on par with what youd expect. Very well done guys, and keep em coming!

to view more.