India Pale Ale - California Brewing Company

India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
California Brewing Company

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Boilermaker88 on 05-24-2005)
Reviews by instrumentality:
3.93/5  rDev n/a

CBC's IPA was brought to me in a pint glass, slightly over-chilled (I prolonged my consumption of it to allow it to warm) with a thin strip of white, lacy head floating on a heavily carbonated, consistent, clear amber liquid. I would have liked to see a little more head to enhance the visual and olfactory experience, but the session improved from here.

What I could smell were piney hops layered with a pear-tangerine fruity sweetness. I was reminded of Avery's Maharaja IPA.

The taste itself was not very bitter at all for an IPA, but that peary-tangerineness was still present. It was a tiny bit too sweet in the beginning, but as the brew warmed, the bitterness of the hops began to bloom while the sweetness became suppressed, and the overall experience became much more balanced and pleasing and representative of what I feel an IPA should taste like. Still not a true hophead's IPA, but tasty nonetheless.

The brew was just a little too weak in carbonation to receive a solid mouthfeel rating, but the ABV (whatever it was - didn't think to ask because I figured someone else had already recorded it here) was well hidden. The finish was pretty clean, but a *slight* piney/skunky residue was left behind on my palate. Some people like this, but I think this palate pummeling should be left to the DIPA's. I like to be able to reset my palate between sips.

I wasn't too impressed with this brew at first, but I quickly discovered that this was due to the fact that places like this cater to the lowest common denominator, which practically requires them to serve their beers a little too cold. (It is nice, however, when a U.S. brewery goes out on a limb and serves their beer the way it's supposed to be served regardless of what the BMC crowd wants.) Warmth was very kind to this one, and by the end, I was tempted to grab another one, but my plot was foiled as our party moved on to another establishment.

3.43/5  rDev n/a

Served up in a standard pint glass. Had a clear amber color and a one-finger white head that dissapated down to a thin crown and cap. Spidery lace webbed the glass.
Smell: Not all that much. More malt than hops. What hops there was was citrusy in nature. Some caramel notes also.
Taste: grainy malts and splash of fruit up front. Lightly hopped; had a mild citrus flavor that didn't stand up to the caramel malt all that well. Definite malty finish.
Feel: medium-bodied; nice level of carbonation.
Overall: nothing spectacular but probably CBC's best in-house offering. Certainly not a hugely hopped, bad-ass West Coast IPA. Almost more on the line of a pale ale. Still, a decent beer.

3.28/5  rDev n/a

Consumed at brewery, 03/03/08.

Slightly cloudy, medium copper appearance. Confused it with their hefe for a second, which was crystal clear. Huh. Thin skin of foam in glass. No visible bubbles.

Aroma has slight orange/lemon citrus note.

Vague citrus hoppiness up front, then bready malt. Lasting bitterness. Fairly tasty.
As the beer warmed, it became hoppier and a butterscotch flavor began to appear. I know it's not appropriate for the style, but it kinda worked for me.

Mouthfeel a bit chewy with some pleasing astringency.

BY far the best of the four beers on offer the day I visited, but that doesn't say a whole lot, really.

3.5/5  rDev n/a

India Pale Ale from California Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.