Belgian Ale - California Brewing Company

Belgian Ale
No picture uploaded.

California Brewing Company

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: instrumentality on 08-05-2006)
Reviews by BeerRun13:

First time I've seen this on tap here at the CBC, and while waiting for a take out order for lunch I decided to try one.

Pours a dark reddish brown with no head at all. The bartender insisted (without my asking), that the lack of head was because of the high alcohol... I've had beers with much more alcohol that have had beautiful fluffy heads and lacing on top.
Smell is kind of a rotten fruit sweetness with something that almost smells like beer behind it.
This beer tastes very much like vinegar to me. You can also taste the alcohol and a touch of barley in there somewhere. I thought the beer was bad, but the bartender insisted that this was right for the style. I remember that my last trip, this same bartender also told me that "Stout was a style not a brand,"... thanks for the tip.
Mouthfeel was very watery and a bad aftertaste lingered.
This is the worst beer I've ever had, and I'm sad to say that about a beer from a place that was once a favorite dinner stop of mine. I still like thier other beers, but this one would have been better as a topping for my fish & chips.

BeerRun13, Sep 02, 2006
2.15/5  rDev +36.1%

This new offering from CBC was brought to me, slightly over-chilled, in a pint glass. The body was a very dark, opaque brown with absolutely no head whatsoever.

The smell was a cross between coffee and chocolate malt, but it took a lot of effort just to detect those smells. Not a whole lot of potency to this one.

The experience did not improve in the transition from my nose to my mouth. The brew seemed almost watery going in due to lack of carbonation, and tasted uncannily like a weak, flat rum & coke with perhaps a splash of red wine. That splash seems to linger in a somewhat tannic aftertaste.

No carbonation. The ABV is easy to detect but not overpowering.

I thought this brew had gone bad, but after consuming about a third of the pint and determining this brew to be undrinkable, I asked the bartender if it was a bad/old batch, and he said it wasn't bad, but that many others had also complained about it being too flat.

I sent it back and switched to their IPA, which made me much happier.

Maybe the bartender was mistaken and this brew just wasn't fresh, but given that he gave off the impression that this is normal, and given that they're consistently trying to sell this beer knowing full well that it's received a number of complaints, I feel perfectly justified in leaving this first review intact.

instrumentality, Aug 05, 2006
Belgian Ale from California Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.