Death Rides A Pale Horse - Los Muertos Brewing

Death Rides A Pale HorseDeath Rides A Pale Horse

Los Muertos Brewing visit their website
Mexico

American Blonde Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: ZEB89 on 08-13-2013)
2.25/5  rDev -29.7%

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

3.55/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a light haze, strong effervescence and two fingers of pillowy ivory foam. I really don't know what more you can ask of a blonde ale.

Smell: very light aroma with a little sweetness, a little grain, and no hops. No complexity here, but no big flaws either.

Taste: malt is quite sweet; there is corn flavor here, but it's not over the top. Again, hops and complexity are nonexistent. You could do a lot worse for a blonde ale, though.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a good carbonation and a pretty satisfying creaminess.

Overall: not much going on here, but it is highly drinkable. I can imagine quaffing 8 or 10 of these in the Mexican sun.

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

3.34/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

probably the best of the three los muertos beers ive had, still far from the best craft blondes out there, but a league better than the other mexican swill. fuller bodied looking bright yellow color to this, with a soap suds head an inch high. a very sweet nose, with some metallics as well, grainy and smooth, simple. the flavor is also a little metallic, but i like the full body on a blonde. it gives the beer a year round functionality that most dont have. the flavor though is quite sweet, like it needs more time to clean up, and the ale yeast gives a stale cracker flavor to the middle of this. not bad at all though, and the best ive had from these guys. their artwork is fabulous, but the beer inside their bottles still needs a little work if it wants to compete in the craft market here.

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

2.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

11.2 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Best Before: 100414. Jiminy Cricket, what a shelf-life!A

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark golden body with fizzy carbonation that doesn't really scare up much of a head.

Smell: Morningtime cereal, unappealing grains, a bit of corn -- culminating in a scent reminiscent of Corn Pops.

Taste: Cereal notes, sweet and with a bit of graininess. Handful of dehydrated corn kernels. Thankfully, it's not quite sugary. Twangy papery vibe. A little pop of herbal hops. Drying, grainy, though with a last little drop of corn syrup on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus, soda-like carbonation.

Overall: The marketing and bottle cap were the only real highlights of this beer experience.

4.03/5  rDev +25.9%

I forget where I first heard of this series, but as soon as I saw the label art, I was hooked! I spent over half of my naval career in California and one friend's wife had a collection of Dia de los Muertos figurines that was simply astounding. I amassed a small collection during many trips to TJ, but they have become lost. I would like a Dia de los Muertos tattoo to add to my collection.

From the bottle: "Day of the Dead Beer[/]Cerveza De Los Muertos".

Ah, the dead honey honey on the label with her braided blonde pigtails does something for me. Cowgirl and Reverse Cowgirl are my favorite positions as I am lazy and don't want to do all of the work. No complaints thus far. C'mon, baby, mount up and let's ride!

It's a twist-off cap!?! Aw, baby, I thought of you as more than just a twist! She seems to like it rough, so I grabbed her by the bottom and turned her upside down to see what would happen. I got a massive three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, eggshell-white head with great retention for my troubles, that's what. Wow, you talk about a Blonde, she was it! A gorgeous sunshine-yellow (SRM = 5) with button brightness. She was really cold and told me to enjoy her quickly as she does not like to get hot as the results are neither pleasant nor pretty. Aye aye, doll face. She had a grassy, Noble hops quality on the nose along with a biscuit maltiness and I was anticipating having some fun with her. The taste was more honey-like than I expected and I was really reminded more of a German Pils, which is not a bad thing, IMHO. Mouthfeel was silky smooth and I found myself really plowing into her. Her resultant grin was disconcerting, to say the least, but I chucked her under the chin and gazed into her deep-blue eyes. The finish left us both finished and she wandered off in search of a pale horse to ride as I contemplated the semi-sweet beauty of which I had just partaken. I found it quite pleasant and I would recommend putting it in a CAN, especially with the fantastic label art.

Death Rides A Pale Horse from Los Muertos Brewing