DOA IPA Hop On Or Die - Los Muertos Brewing

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 190 | Reviews: 42
Reviews by peensteen:
3.26/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hazy golden orange colour, one finger white head, fairly dense and rocky, good lace. Smell is of sweet honey malts, buttered bread and bitter hops, hops are a mix of muddy citrus notes with some pine, more of a generic citrus than any specific fruit though. Taste is bitter and citrusy, grapefruit comes out though a bit muddy, sweet malts mid palate, caramel into the aftertaste, bit of an odd sulfur/yeasty/caramel in the finish as well. Dry mouthfeel, low carbonation, moderate resiny feel, medium body. While not stellar this isn't too bad, to me it comes off as a scandanavian type of IPA, if you told me this was made by Mikkeller I probably wouldn't question it.

1.34/5  rDev -56.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet butterscotch malts and maybe a little grassy hop.

The flavor is sweet butterscotch with bitter metallic hops and maybe a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a butterscotch metallic mess. The worst IPA I've ever had. I did finish it, so it wasn't so vile that I dumped it...I guess it has that going for it.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

I wanted to like this one. I like the label. The idea of a Mexican ipa is great. But it's just not what I'd hoped. Metallic and bitter, but no hop pleasantries. Just kinda "meh"

3.8/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, undated, from World Market served in a lager glass.

Pours a deep amber color with a generous bone-colored head that leaves plenty of soapy lacing on the glass. Excellent retention. Appears to have high carbonation.

Aroma: citrusy hops are prominent, but a strong sweet malt base is there too. Above average appeal but, perhaps, below average complexity.

T: Contrary to my suspicions (based in part on their pale ale) this is sufficiently hoppy to be rightfully called an IPA. the finish and aftertaste, but bitterness and hops, with something of a hop hit mid-taste, but with an acceptably restrained, moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

Feel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation; smooth.

Overall: a good IPA from Mexican; who would have guessed?

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

I rarely dump a beer as even the typical American Adjunct Lager has the redeeming quality of being flavorless. This doesn't even rise (fall?) to that level. There is basically no smell at all. None. Then, on the palate, there is an assault of bitterness. Imagine the lightest pale ale you have ever had. Toss a ton of hops in at the beginning of the boil so that all of the aromatics are boiled off and all you are left with is bitterness. You'll have this beer. No balance at all. Just bitter.

A good IPA showcases the floral nature of the hops and may be tongue slappingly bitter but it balances that bitterness with a strong malt backbone. A bad IPA is just bitter.

I dumped this horrid mess of a beer after two sips.

Cerveceria Mexicana "DOA IPA"
330 ml / 11.2 oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BEFORE 021015AFL 08:49"
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

First thoughts: So this is a Mexican beer... hecho in Mexico!... do they sell this there or is this just a contract brew that's then exported to the U.S.? Secondly, how did this label get approved? I thought that "India Pale Ale" had to be spelled out nowadays? Maybe I'm just thinking of Pennsylvania, and not Federal label rulings. Also, pretty cool label and packaging overall - I cannot deny that I was drawn in by the artwork, but at least the beer is good so I don't have to feel bad about getting suckered.

Moving forward, this is a very American-style IPA that's bright,hoppy, and bitter. It looks good, it smells good, and it tastes good - no faults there. It's floral, citrusy, leafy, resinous, subtly piney, and somewhat grassy and spicy. The malt is firm, and biscuity/toasty. It's got a solid bitterness that's around 60 IBU's or more, and it's nicely balanced. There are certainly better examples of the style, but this is enjoyable as well.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

No no no....this cannot be an APA....this is a MPA. Yes Mexican PA. The taste is very malty not much bitterness of things people luv or west coasters. The beer poured clear copper with nice creamy head that is leaving a lace. Unfortunately this beer misses the mark on taste and scent. I won't be making a trip to the beer store for this one anytime soon.

2.62/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a semi-cloudy orange-amber. Decent head and ok lacing. aroma is slightly hoppy with a good amount of citrus. Taste is very slick, and unfortunately tastes a little off and metallic, sad!!!!Taste goes away fast and hardly any aftertaste. Did it have to be somewhere fast??. Ok, beer is not what I wanted, oh well !!

4.02/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Remarkably good considering:
Marketed here as a Halloween gag.
And
I've had it sitting at room temperature for two months.
12 pack for 9.99 well worth it.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: Looking at my packaging, and this beers website, it looks like there a 2 listings on here for the same beer. Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, hops, a touch of citrus. Taste is light, balanced, a mild bitterness, kind of toned down for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall us a decent beer, but if you are looking for a hop bomb, this ain't it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours out a hazy golden color with plenty of carbonation floating up to the top. The head is about one finger thick, white and very fluffy surrounded by thick ring of lacing.
The aroma is light, citrusy and fruity but lacking the hop smell that I’ve come to expect from IPAs.
The taste is a bit different, good but very zesty at first then the bitterness kicks in, mild grapefruit zest fills the taste throughout your drinking experience. The aftertaste good, slightly bitter with a good hops presence and a mild alcohol taste.
Overall not a bad IPA.

DOA IPA has a thin, off-white head, a hazy, orange-gold, bubbly appearance, and some good lacing left behind, which is displayed in sheets more than rings. Aroma is subdued, but one does get a little bit of sweet bread. Taste is strongly piney bitter, but the bitterness is not harsh or unpleasant. Other flavors are grapefruit, white bread, and sugar. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and DOA IPA finishes puckering, dry, tart, bitter, and surprisingly drinkable. Although nothing in this really differentiates it from other West Coast style IPAs it is good and worth checking out.

RJT

3.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear amber orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige colored head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of pine resin hops are present in the nose along with notes of citrus hops and caramel malts.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell, except that the piney flavors are more prominent and contribute a strong amount of bitterness that lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather prickly on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer reminds me a lot like Stone's offerings as it has that "in your face" type of bitterness. It's not an exemplary IPA, but is quite good when compared to other Mexican beers.

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The packaging says "Something for the gringos" and really gives you pause. Not saying it's not professional, but it gives you pause. Twist off the top (yeah) and you get a big whiff of flowers. Not too shabby.

Then you pour. Quite cloudy, this one, and the head goes crazy. That flowery aroma is predominate. The taste has a lot of flowers, citrus, and grass.

Overall, this is solid. I liked it. Nothing about this beer, save the packaging, says Mexico, for what that's worth.

1.63/5  rDev -47.6%

To say this beer is simply bad is an insult to the word bad. This is awful, run, don't walk from this sad excuse for an IPA.

A - It looks like an IPA in a dishwatery sort of way.
S - Smells of gasoline and grass cuttings.
T - Still trying to forget the unpleasant mess. What did they do to this, and why would you put a label on it and sell it for, hatred of Gringos? 'The Dead' indeed!
M - Thin, unpleasant.

O - You don't want this one, drink a Miller Lite if you have to...

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Los Muertos Brewing's DOA IPA a few days ago for $2.79 at The Bavarian Inn. I needed one more beer for my mix six pack and I thought I would take a chance on this one since their Pale Ale was solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's in the same style as their other beesr and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left it a good amount of patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a impart a grainy, pale malt, slightly stale malt, and some bready aromas. Up next comes the hops which starts off with a nice fruity aroma that leads to an earthy aroma with some soapy hop aromas showing up. This beer had a decent aroma, but I think it would be better without the soapy hops and slightly stale malts.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter and it seems like the grainy and stale malt flavors seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart that same hoppy mixture that I got in the aroma, but this time it's the soapy and earthy hops that seem to stick out the most with a decent citrus rind flavor in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little with a hoppy, grainy and stale malt like aftertaste. This was an Ok tasting beer, I found it to be pretty average as far as IPA's go.

M- A little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry on the finish, on the slightly thicker side of medium bodied with a medium amount of medium carbonation. The Mouthfeel was decent, it would be better if it was a little smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was Ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of the style, the malt base wasn't too interesting and little stale, and while the hop profile wasn't horrible those soapy hops didn't do anything to help this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry, a little filling, and the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a very nice looking IPA. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just seemed like both the malts and the hops fell flat and that really didn't deliver that brightness that I look for in the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I'm a little pissed i paid almost $3 for this bottle, but I expected that since that store always over charges. I wouldn't recommend it as a good IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, I thought their Pale Ale was nice, but this one just didn't deliver and it's now my least favorite beer from them. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slight amber color with a little head when pout. Very clear as well. Slight smell of hop. Taste of hop was obvious, but not over powering? Not as bitter as some other IPAs going down. Overall a decent beer, but not one that I would hunt for. Although the Day of the Dead company name is as cool.as it gets.

2.84/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized (almost burnt) malts, fruity citrus and some earthy hops, but is somewhat odd for the style.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a weak hops bitterness for the style comes in. The malt character is hearty but does not bring much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, in a style with so many better alternatives to put out and IPA this poor to me seems like a lackluster effort.

2.44/5  rDev -21.5%

I may be beating this point to death, but I am totally enamored of the label art on the bottles from this brewery! I would love to see these graphics on CANs, but for the meantime, I have to be satiated with bottles.

From the bottle: "Day of the Dead Beer[/]Cerveza De Los Muertos".

It escapes me as to why, if one is already dead, one would wear a helmet and goggles. Still, I dig the dude's sled with its scoop handlebars and flaming tank. I wonder if he and the Blonde who Rides a Pale Horse ever get together to go riding.

Enough flummery! My aggro pour produced three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with decent retention that in turn produced some great sticky lacing on its way down. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 7). Nose had the saturated, sticky smell of an overhopped AIPA. I get that many of us like hops, but not all beers are designed for a heavy hand when it comes to hopping. This smelled like a bag of dank - green, leafy, sticky, slightly minty. Mouthfeel was medium but the bitterness on the tongue was imbalanced. I was reminded of when I used to impress people by letting a dry hop pellet dissolve on my tongue until I realized that just like smoking stogies, I was killing my palate and stopped doing stupid human tricks. Finish was dry and bitter, too bitter even for a self-avowed hophead such as myself. I am not going to hop on because I would probably rather die. Ugh. The recipe for this one needs to be revisited.

2.97/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a tumbler.

Never thought I'd be excited to finally find a single of this, but the completionist in me sometimes takes too much control for my liking. Regardless, this stuff pours a clear tawny amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet caramel, light menthol, pine resin, and a twinge of green tea. The taste brings in more of the same, the sweetness in the caramel accentuating the resin and menthol characters. Unfortunately, this seemingly synergistic combination just ends up wreaking havoc with my tastebuds, nothing much good coming from the experience. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly syrupy feel. Overall, this IPA just didn't do it for me, especially with that damn menthol character.

3.86/5  rDev +24.1%

Clear copper color. ¼ inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of pale malt, caramel malt, earthy malt, citrus hops, pine, and hint of alcohol. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Fits the style of an American ipa. Tastes of citrus hops, pine, sweet malt, pale malt, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of alcohol. Overall, an average AIPA.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice artwork. Murky orange-brown body, cream-colored dense pillowy head with serious staying power, although not much lace.

S: Not much. Floral, citrus, and pine hops, almost beaten out by the roasted malts.

T: Good! Grapefruit and orange, then pine, bitterness is moderate and uniform. Malt intensity varies on each sip; on some I get lots of chocolate and toasted bread, others it's just some faint barley. The changes are welcomed, but on the more powerful malty sips it can interfere with the hops. Dry, ok finish.

F: Great body, no astringency. The foamy head eludes my lips.

O: Very good IPA, and for once a Hop-pun in the name that I don't mind. The hops flavors can be a bit bland, but it has plenty of bitterness and comes out as a well balanced beer.

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a cloudy golden amber almost orange, with a 1/2 inch thick white foamy head.

Smell - Slight hoppy aroma with hints of citrus and pine.

Taste - Very smooth, with slight bitterness. Well balanced hop selection. Malt heavy on the finish with hints of pine and citrus, same as aroma.

Mouthfeel - Easy light mouthfeel, wet on the palate at first with a semi dry finish.

Overall - This is an ok IPA. I would drink again.

A - Drank in the bottle, so color was not visible, but there was a distinct head within the bottle, lacing as well.

S - Pretty sharp dank nose, with a hint of pine and citrus.

T - A harsh bitter bash, with almost none of the standard hop highlights, no fruit. The malt is there, but is weak and not up to the task of balancing this out. There is an unpleasant metallic bite in the close, as well. Largely a one note experience.

M - Sharp with carbonation, heavy drying, but not oily build.

O - Not a particularly good or tasty IPA. Lacks any balance or even finesse, offering few of the rewards a typical IPA delivers to pair with the sharp bitter line. Not horrible, just not good.

2.61/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured a medium dark orange/gold with a creamy off-white head. The head has great retention and leaves some nice lacing. There is almost no aroma but what is there is very citrusy, almost orange zest. The taste is just bad. There is an odd malt flavor and a very bitter off-putting flavor, presumably from the hops. It lingers on the palate for a long time after the taste. There is little reminiscent of an IPA in the mouthfeel, either, thin and lacking in the hops resinous. This is just not a good beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »