DOA IPA Hop On Or Die - Los Muertos Brewing

Los Muertos Brewing visit their website
Mexico

Beer added by: chinchill on 09-03-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours out a hazy golden color with plenty of carbonation floating up to the top. The head is about one finger thick, white and very fluffy surrounded by thick ring of lacing.
The aroma is light, citrusy and fruity but lacking the hop smell that I’ve come to expect from IPAs.
The taste is a bit different, good but very zesty at first then the bitterness kicks in, mild grapefruit zest fills the taste throughout your drinking experience. The aftertaste good, slightly bitter with a good hops presence and a mild alcohol taste.
Overall not a bad IPA. (553 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -58%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet butterscotch malts and maybe a little grassy hop.

The flavor is sweet butterscotch with bitter metallic hops and maybe a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a butterscotch metallic mess. The worst IPA I've ever had. I did finish it, so it wasn't so vile that I dumped it...I guess it has that going for it. (501 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -48.9%

To say this beer is simply bad is an insult to the word bad. This is awful, run, don't walk from this sad excuse for an IPA.

A - It looks like an IPA in a dishwatery sort of way.
S - Smells of gasoline and grass cuttings.
T - Still trying to forget the unpleasant mess. What did they do to this, and why would you put a label on it and sell it for, hatred of Gringos? 'The Dead' indeed!
M - Thin, unpleasant.

O - You don't want this one, drink a Miller Lite if you have to... (477 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%

Grabbed this as a single At the local brew shop. Visually appealing for sure.

A- label art is badass. Dia de Muerte theme all over it. Poured a clear orangish/strawish color with a good two and a half fingers of chunky white head. Good amount of carbonation coming up.

S- malt forward on the nose. Has a strange sticky / sweet smell to it. Some citrus, mostly grapefruit I get. Not huge on the hop presence, but it is there at the end.

T- starts out with bready malts quickly followed by sme earthiness and hops. Has a unique profile as it rolls across the palate (uniques not always synonymous with good). Citrus is hidden in there in the middle, but really the malts at the beginning and bitter hops at end take this one over.

M- medium body, perfect carbonation level. Very drinkable.

O- not blown away, not disappointed. It's an average IPA I'd say. I think it has potential, it's not just a hop bomb like a lot of them are. (938 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Los Muertos Brewing's DOA IPA a few days ago for $2.79 at The Bavarian Inn. I needed one more beer for my mix six pack and I thought I would take a chance on this one since their Pale Ale was solid, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's in the same style as their other beesr and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left it a good amount of patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a impart a grainy, pale malt, slightly stale malt, and some bready aromas. Up next comes the hops which starts off with a nice fruity aroma that leads to an earthy aroma with some soapy hop aromas showing up. This beer had a decent aroma, but I think it would be better without the soapy hops and slightly stale malts.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter and it seems like the grainy and stale malt flavors seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart that same hoppy mixture that I got in the aroma, but this time it's the soapy and earthy hops that seem to stick out the most with a decent citrus rind flavor in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little with a hoppy, grainy and stale malt like aftertaste. This was an Ok tasting beer, I found it to be pretty average as far as IPA's go.

M- A little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry on the finish, on the slightly thicker side of medium bodied with a medium amount of medium carbonation. The Mouthfeel was decent, it would be better if it was a little smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was Ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of the style, the malt base wasn't too interesting and little stale, and while the hop profile wasn't horrible those soapy hops didn't do anything to help this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry, a little filling, and the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a very nice looking IPA. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just seemed like both the malts and the hops fell flat and that really didn't deliver that brightness that I look for in the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I'm a little pissed i paid almost $3 for this bottle, but I expected that since that store always over charges. I wouldn't recommend it as a good IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, I thought their Pale Ale was nice, but this one just didn't deliver and it's now my least favorite beer from them. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work. (3,292 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -23.5%

I may be beating this point to death, but I am totally enamored of the label art on the bottles from this brewery! I would love to see these graphics on CANs, but for the meantime, I have to be satiated with bottles.

From the bottle: "Day of the Dead Beer[/]Cerveza De Los Muertos".

It escapes me as to why, if one is already dead, one would wear a helmet and goggles. Still, I dig the dude's sled with its scoop handlebars and flaming tank. I wonder if he and the Blonde who Rides a Pale Horse ever get together to go riding.

Enough flummery! My aggro pour produced three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with decent retention that in turn produced some great sticky lacing on its way down. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 7). Nose had the saturated, sticky smell of an overhopped AIPA. I get that many of us like hops, but not all beers are designed for a heavy hand when it comes to hopping. This smelled like a bag of dank - green, leafy, sticky, slightly minty. Mouthfeel was medium but the bitterness on the tongue was imbalanced. I was reminded of when I used to impress people by letting a dry hop pellet dissolve on my tongue until I realized that just like smoking stogies, I was killing my palate and stopped doing stupid human tricks. Finish was dry and bitter, too bitter even for a self-avowed hophead such as myself. I am not going to hop on because I would probably rather die. Ugh. The recipe for this one needs to be revisited. (1,474 characters)

DOA IPA has a thin, off-white head, a hazy, orange-gold, bubbly appearance, and some good lacing left behind, which is displayed in sheets more than rings. Aroma is subdued, but one does get a little bit of sweet bread. Taste is strongly piney bitter, but the bitterness is not harsh or unpleasant. Other flavors are grapefruit, white bread, and sugar. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and DOA IPA finishes puckering, dry, tart, bitter, and surprisingly drinkable. Although nothing in this really differentiates it from other West Coast style IPAs it is good and worth checking out.

RJT (586 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: Looking at my packaging, and this beers website, it looks like there a 2 listings on here for the same beer. Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, hops, a touch of citrus. Taste is light, balanced, a mild bitterness, kind of toned down for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall us a decent beer, but if you are looking for a hop bomb, this ain't it. (440 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized (almost burnt) malts, fruity citrus and some earthy hops, but is somewhat odd for the style.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a weak hops bitterness for the style comes in. The malt character is hearty but does not bring much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, in a style with so many better alternatives to put out and IPA this poor to me seems like a lackluster effort. (828 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a very clear orange / amber with a huge pillow of white head. Nice retention and stick.

S - Citrus, caramel malts, pine, bready, biscuity.

T - Nice clean hop burst up front balanced nicely by some big malt flavors, finishes dry with a touch of warming alcohol.

O - Really nice IPA from Mexico - worth a shot if you can get your hands on one. (354 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz to a specialty ipa glass. Stole this from a party last night, thanks to whoever brought them. Just realized this was a twist off?

Pours a hazy golden orange (80% trans) with some lighter yellow hues towards the bottom. half finger of foam has died down pretty quickly to a frothy ring around the sides. Very mild carbonation from the bottom, poor lacing on the sides. Beautiful bottle and cap work, though

Smells of a balance of hops and malt. Hop profile of mostly citrus contrasts with a robust caramel malt backbone. Like mentioned before, the goal here I think is balance, which is done nicely if intentional

Taste doesn't follow the nose as well, very piney and earthy hops upfront, followed by the citrus. Malt stays more or less the same, caramely, very robust and present, finishing with a touch of alcohol. Proportions change from the smell for the better

Feel is a medium body, dry finish. High bitterness, alcohol concealed, really easy to drink. Nothing too special here, fits with the rest of the beer

Overall a solid ipa from our friends south of the boarder. By no means my favorite, but worth a try if available. Might pick up a sixer for myself eventually (1,185 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Another sampler selection and by the same brewery. I did not like the first one.

Poured a murky orange with nice white head and lacing.

Nose: Mild hops

Taste: Strong hops, that's about it. I will say it got easier to drink as I went but it was still JUST hops. No balance and no malt.

Mouth feel was better. Another one I will pass up but that is because there are plenty of world class IPA out there. (408 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear amber orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige colored head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of pine resin hops are present in the nose along with notes of citrus hops and caramel malts.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell, except that the piney flavors are more prominent and contribute a strong amount of bitterness that lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather prickly on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer reminds me a lot like Stone's offerings as it has that "in your face" type of bitterness. It's not an exemplary IPA, but is quite good when compared to other Mexican beers. (840 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, undated, from World Market served in a lager glass.

Pours a deep amber color with a generous bone-colored head that leaves plenty of soapy lacing on the glass. Excellent retention. Appears to have high carbonation.

Aroma: citrusy hops are prominent, but a strong sweet malt base is there too. Above average appeal but, perhaps, below average complexity.

T: Contrary to my suspicions (based in part on their pale ale) this is sufficiently hoppy to be rightfully called an IPA. the finish and aftertaste, but bitterness and hops, with something of a hop hit mid-taste, but with an acceptably restrained, moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

Feel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation; smooth.

Overall: a good IPA from Mexican; who would have guessed? (789 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last