1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pay The Ferryman - Los Muertos Brewing

Pay The FerrymanPay The Ferryman

Los Muertos Brewing visit their website
Mexico

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: metter98 on 09-05-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
flagmantho

Washington

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: very dark, rich brown color with just a hint of ruby highlights. Body appears to be haze-free, and the head is two fingers of fluffy brown foam with decent retention. I'm rather liking it!

Smell: caramel and chocolate notes; even a hint of toffee. Hops are a little on the vegetal side but are well within parameters. I think it's pretty decent.

Taste: a little bit roasty with a less-sweet character than the aroma. It's decent enough, but a little bit on the watery side, as though it's been a tad diluted.

Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel but a pretty strong carbonation. Interesting enough, but not terribly porter-ey.

Overall: highly drinkable; a porter you can quaff in the sun. I'm usually pretty impressed by darker Mexican beers anyway, and this isn't a bad foray into a craftier dark style.

02-11-2014 22:49:50 | More by flagmantho
Petey_the_Quiet

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Having recently visited an authentic Mexican restaurant with the walls decked out in skulls and other death art this beer immediately grabbed my attention with it's art design. From the cap to the label the artwork is impeccable.

I took this beer home along with their other Pale Ale, Blonde and Amber offerings to try out this intriguing looking new brew.

It poured very dark with a thick tan-colored head. The smell was heavily smokey and somewhat fruity. Taste was surprisingly light compared to the way it smelled. Mouthfeel was really smooth, almost watery, too thin for a Porter.

Overall though, very surprised with this offering from a Mexican brewery. Very drinkable, although not mind-blowing, would definitely revisit this brew in the future. If you want to dip your toe into the Porter realm, this would be a good starter kit, as it were. Enjoyable beer.

01-22-2014 03:39:35 | More by Petey_the_Quiet
deadxmastrees

Washington

3.34/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I cant lie - I picked this one out solely because of the awesome artwork! Lately porters have surpassed stouts in my list of fav styles so I was excited to try a new one. Unfortunately this porter did not meet my expectations.
It pours very dark and the smokey smell was immediately noticeable so I had high hopes. Some light coffee scents were also present. It had a 2 finger thick, caramel colored head that disappeared very quickly leaving almost no lacing. The taste was the biggest disappointment because I was expecting something more after seeing and smelling it. The smoked flavor overpowers any other flavors - if there are any. Its also very watery and has a bland after taste - kind of like smoked water.
I dont see myself drinking this again although it wasnt horrible. Anyone who likes smokey porters may enjoy this.

01-08-2014 03:52:22 | More by deadxmastrees
woodychandler

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

I am not usually a label junkie, but the artwork was so evocative of my time in California while in the Navy that I could not resist. I would LOVE to see their beers in CANs with the attendant artwork reproduced thereupon. Right now, my 12th grade students and I are reading excerpts from both Milton's "Paradise Lost" and Dante's "The Divine Comedy: Inferno" and as such, the concept of death and the afterlife is fresh in my mind.

From the bottle: "Day of the Dead Beer[/]Cerveza De Los Muertos".

Cheeky devil, asking for payment for taking me to a place that I did not want to go! I was angry as a result and used a heavy hand on the pour, creating two dense fingers of deep-tan head, resembling the top of a chocolate milkshake. The head slowly fell, but left great lacing in its wake. Color was a deep, dark brown (SRM = 44), resembling the Stygian depths of the River Styx, across which I was being ferried. Scared? You bet your sweet bippy! Nose smelled of dark chocolate and a birthday cake when I turned 3 or 4 y/o, Devil's Food Cake with deep purple icing, my favorite color of the time. Purple still gets me revved up, but yellow is my current fave. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. It had a light smokiness with a dark chocolate and burnt charcoal taste on the tongue. Finish was semi-dry, smoky and chocolaty at once, kind of balancing one another. Was it to die for? No, not really, but if it were the only porter being served in the afterlife, I would not turn it down. In this life, I think that there are better porters, but I would certainly revisit this one if they put it in a CAN. Thanks for the ride, but I think that I would like to go home now.

12-20-2013 19:01:30 | More by woodychandler
chinchill

South Carolina

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle stamped with a 12 July 2014 Best By date served in a snifter. Poured a very dark mahogany; clear with a small tan head and decent lacing. No sign of sediment.

The aroma is mainly of dark malts; slightly smokey with hints of roasted nuts and dark fruits.

Taste: similar to aroma, but lacking the power or depth it suggests.

Feel: smooth with a bit of dryness; good carbonation level; a tad too thin.

O: Tasty. One of the better Mexican beers I've had. .

11-22-2013 00:14:27 | More by chinchill
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. I'm impressed with it's pitch-black-ness, especially since it's only a 5% porter. There isn't much head, though - only a finger high, with a mocha shade. Even with its dinky height, the retention isn't very good

S: This one smells quite sweet. Actually, come to think of it, it's more redolent of a cream stout than a porter, with all the rich lactose and chocolate I pick up. Beyond that, there's just a kiss of roasted barley and espresso, and it does a decent job of balancing things out. Honestly, this smells like it will be a winner.

T: Indeed, it drinks like a milk stout - that initial lactic twang is unmistakable. There's just enough fruitness, though, that makes me think 'porter' instead. The finish is pure coffee-and-cream. After a while, it becomes very caramel-forward, and not the shitty 'crystal malt' kind of caramel either: it's slightly reminiscent of sucking on a piece of Werther's Original. I didn't know what to expect, but this is honestly pretty damn good.

M: Relatively full for 5%, and - like I said before - sweet. The sweetness harms the drinkability some, however. The thick, syrupy feel (almost) makes it seem bigger than it really is.

O: I'll call this one underrated. It's pretty far from being perfect, and I wouldn't even call it 'great'; but considering it's supposed to be pseudo-craft from Mexico, it could have been a LOT worse. Hell, I might even buy it again.

11-01-2013 21:29:49 | More by ThisWangsChung
StoutHunter

3.66/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Los Muertos Brewing's Pay The Ferryman a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I have never heard of this brewing company before and I didn't know they were available in Michigan, I don't believe I have tried any beers from a Mexican craft Brewer, but I'm interested to see what Mexico has to offer when it comes to craft beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label and the name are pretty awesome, i like the dark look it has, it loots like it could be a cd cover for a Mexican metal band, I don't normally buy a beer for it's name and label art, but I did this time. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it really didn't let any light through. It had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that was close to being brown and it died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it and it was followed by loads of malts that impart some dark roasted malts and a lighter amount of coffee with chocolate seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice dark chocolate and cocoa powder like aroma. The aroma was pretty good, the chocolate aromas were showcased nicely.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses like flavor to it followed by loads of malts that imparted some great dark roasted malt flavors with a light amount of coffee in the background with chocolate still sticking out the most imparting that nice dark chocolate/cocoa aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish comes a slight smokey flavor followed by a low amount of bitterness and a dark roasted malt, chocolate and coffee like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I thought the dark roasted malts really shined in this beer.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the thinner side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, I thought it should be thicker with some creaminess to it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and decent example of the style, it was on the thin side as far as the style goes, but to me the flavor and aroma were just what I look for in a good Porter. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention and I actually think that the thinner body made this a little more drinkable then it should be, but it still doesn't feel right for the style, I think I could drink a few of these with out getting full or sick of this beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance I thought they were both pretty good and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was too thin and watery for the style and it was missing that creaminess that I look for in the style. I would buy this beer again if I saw it around, I think some of my friends that like Chocolaty beers would really like this and I would recommend it to people that don't mind a thinner Porter. All in all I liked this beer, even with the below average mouthfeel it was still a nice tasting and smelling beer and it satisfied my craving for a Porter. This beer made for a good first impression for Los Muertos, I have one more beer of theirs that I picked up and I'm glad I did since I haven't seen any where I live. Nice work guys, it's nice to know there's a budding craft beer scene going on with our neighbors down south.

10-23-2013 03:48:40 | More by StoutHunter
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains coffee, molasses, chocolate, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very sweet with flavors of molasses, coffee and chocolate. Then a hearty roasted malt character follows along with some background smokiness. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style. I found this beer to be unexpectedly solid and worth drinking for a while if you’re in the mood for the style and don’t mind the extra sweetness.

10-21-2013 03:27:59 | More by TheManiacalOne
TMoney2591

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

After two thoroughly lackluster offerings from this brewery, my doubt is no longer subtle. Now the porter steps in to try to change my mind. It pours a deep black-brown topped by a finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises dark chocolate powder, very light toast, and a hint of sweet coffee. The taste holds notes of cola, a light dusting of cocoa powder, and a slight aftertaste of rye toast. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nigh-watery feel. Overall, a meek porter, but at least this beer doesn't kinda suck. That said, the lack of any effort whatsoever continues to glare at me from the label. Maybe the blonde ale can do something for me...?

10-13-2013 04:57:27 | More by TMoney2591
metter98

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that died down rather quickly, leaving some delicate lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of dark and chocolate malts are preset in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of dark and chocolate malts along with some hints of lactose towards the finish. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and slightly thin on the palate with nearly a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is perfectly sessionable—I would have no problem drinking this all night long. It has just enough flavors in the taste to keep things interesting.

09-05-2013 01:09:14 | More by metter98