Pay The Ferryman - Los Muertos Brewing

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: metter98 on 09-05-2013

Reviews by Presto82:

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle stamped with a 12 July 2014 Best By date served in a snifter. Poured a very dark mahogany; clear with a small tan head and decent lacing. No sign of sediment.

The aroma is mainly of dark malts; slightly smokey with hints of roasted nuts and dark fruits.

Taste: similar to aroma, but lacking the power or depth it suggests.

Feel: smooth with a bit of dryness; good carbonation level; a tad too thin.

O: Tasty. One of the better Mexican beers I've had. .

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.07/5  rDev +16%

My new favorite porter, the look was basically spot on for what I look for in a porter and the smell was nice and like that of coffee and some earthy notes but not too strong. The taste was wonderful and wasn't too different but was exactly what I was expecting and had a nice malty finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and is among the best I have ever had in any beer I have ever had.

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that died down rather quickly, leaving some delicate lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of dark and chocolate malts are preset in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of dark and chocolate malts along with some hints of lactose towards the finish. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and slightly thin on the palate with nearly a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is perfectly sessionable—I would have no problem drinking this all night long. It has just enough flavors in the taste to keep things interesting.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Los Muertos Brewing's Pay The Ferryman a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I have never heard of this brewing company before and I didn't know they were available in Michigan, I don't believe I have tried any beers from a Mexican craft Brewer, but I'm interested to see what Mexico has to offer when it comes to craft beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label and the name are pretty awesome, i like the dark look it has, it loots like it could be a cd cover for a Mexican metal band, I don't normally buy a beer for it's name and label art, but I did this time. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it really didn't let any light through. It had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that was close to being brown and it died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it and it was followed by loads of malts that impart some dark roasted malts and a lighter amount of coffee with chocolate seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice dark chocolate and cocoa powder like aroma. The aroma was pretty good, the chocolate aromas were showcased nicely.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses like flavor to it followed by loads of malts that imparted some great dark roasted malt flavors with a light amount of coffee in the background with chocolate still sticking out the most imparting that nice dark chocolate/cocoa aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish comes a slight smokey flavor followed by a low amount of bitterness and a dark roasted malt, chocolate and coffee like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I thought the dark roasted malts really shined in this beer.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the thinner side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, I thought it should be thicker with some creaminess to it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and decent example of the style, it was on the thin side as far as the style goes, but to me the flavor and aroma were just what I look for in a good Porter. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention and I actually think that the thinner body made this a little more drinkable then it should be, but it still doesn't feel right for the style, I think I could drink a few of these with out getting full or sick of this beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance I thought they were both pretty good and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was too thin and watery for the style and it was missing that creaminess that I look for in the style. I would buy this beer again if I saw it around, I think some of my friends that like Chocolaty beers would really like this and I would recommend it to people that don't mind a thinner Porter. All in all I liked this beer, even with the below average mouthfeel it was still a nice tasting and smelling beer and it satisfied my craving for a Porter. This beer made for a good first impression for Los Muertos, I have one more beer of theirs that I picked up and I'm glad I did since I haven't seen any where I live. Nice work guys, it's nice to know there's a budding craft beer scene going on with our neighbors down south.

Pay The Ferryman from Los Muertos Brewing