Willy Wheat Ale - Alpine Beer Company

Willy Wheat AleWilly Wheat Ale

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.90% ABV

An American Wheat ale. More than half the malt used is White Wheat known for a sweetness not found in red wheat or malted barley. Unfiltered and easy to drink.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2003)
1.55/5  rDev -53.5%

I bought this from South Bay D & L. Thanks Joey!

This pours a slightly hazy straw gold with a good 2 finger head of foam with some nice lacing. Pretty good head retention.

The smell is of wheat, lemon, some spice, and something else that resembles Brett but kind of...wait for it...also resembles a fart. That's what my nose buds are saying, folks. Don't blame me.

The taste is very lemony. It over powers the other flavours which I note as being wheat and an earthiness. Weird tasting for the style and not something that I'd say I'm enjoying. It's light bodied and it finishes very watery. Yuck. I don't think I'll be able to finish the bottle...

1.95/5  rDev -41.4%

I'm looking for someting easy to drink tonight, and Willy promises to be the one. 22 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

The head drops quicky to a small plot of thin whitehead on top the beer. Faded golden color, maybe sandy blonde, with a clean filtered body. Yawn. It smells like a cheap macro lager. Sweet corny adjuncts is what I'm getting, odd lemon, funny chemicals, and husky malt. I'm not impressed with the nose.

Why does this have that macro lager corny taste to it? I can't really make out the wheat used in this beer. There's a light floral note, which is nice, but that oversweet yellow corn aftertaste with oddball chemical flavoring added is wipes out the potential of Willy being even a decent thirst buster. Light in the mouth, light carbonation, sort of watery...is this seriously a wheat ale?

Willy is better than some adjunct lagers. But the problem is that Willy is a wheat ale, not an adjunct lager. Better luck next time!

2.03/5  rDev -39%

On-tap at the Alpine brewpub.

A - light, straw yellow and very clear. No head or lacing to be seen.

S - Getting a good bit of skunk on the nose. Not enjoying the smell of this one at all. Some faint honey, wheat and orange notes come through under the skunk.

T - Tastes worse than it smells. A little lemon and orange but the yeast is overpowering to all other flavors. And the yeast tastes bad to me. You may like it if you're bit into whitbeers, but this one isn't to my liking.

M - Extremely watery and carbonated. Think Corona.

O - Not a beer I'll be sampling again. It hurts me to crush Alpine like this, but I couldn't finish 4 oz of this beer.

2.45/5  rDev -26.4%

#2 in my quest to try The Other Alpine Beers Which Are Not Pure Hoppiness... and equally, if not more, disappointing than the last.

Pours a pale, slightly hazy straw with minimal head and no lacing.

Smell is initially a bit musty and tangy, amidst a grainy corn character.

Tastes... like a bad mix between a mediocre pilsner and an American Wheat. Which makes it out to be worse than it sounds... it's kinda neutral and non-terrible, pretty much what one would expect from an American Wheat of no particular distinction. Flavor is a bit muddled by a cooked corn note, particularly early, but it's pretty clean, medium to light bodied, crisp, largely inoffensive. The corn is just a bit much, and it ultimately intrudes on the grain and wheat characters, which are also pretty straightforward. No hop character to speak of except as part of an appropriate balance.

I'd expect a beer of this caliber from a "nothing-special" local brewpub, or as a reasonable home-brew... not from a brewery capable of so much more. Don't bother.

2.45/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very fizzy pale yellow hue into my pint glass. Had a one finger white head that turned into fizzy bubbles fast. Not a bit of lacing.

Can't really say much about the smell. Grainy, slightly bready, and that's about it.

Taste was pretty much like a generic American lager. Really had not a lot going on.

Mouthfeel was very thin. Not a fan of this one at all.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Disclaimer - I doubt this will ever be I style I could love, even though this brewery makes some of the world's most wonderful beers. Got this in a trade with hamilton23 (thank you!). 22 oz bottle into a wizen glass. This beer poured a light yellow with a tiny white head which disappeared almost immediately. There was almost no lacing to speak of. The nose was wheat, yeast, and some lemon zest but very faint. Taste was similar, i.e. wheat, yeast and a tiny lemon tinge. There was little carbonation and the mouthfeel was very light. While not displeasing, this is the most forgettable beer from a great brewery. I have had 9 Alpine beers and this is the ONLY one I would pass on, if offered.

2.53/5  rDev -24%

Bomber into an Alpine Pint glass.

Pours a really bright golden straw color, no head at all. It's super transparent and looks basically like a bud, not very inviting at all. It smells better than it looks, but not much better, acidic, bit of wheat, but really smells more like a lager than a wheat ale. Again, I'm reminded of Bud here. Flavors are bland, no wheat at all, more acid and bits of lemon, not even a hint of biscuit or bread. It goes down pretty easily, I'll give it that, has a surprisingly nice body and the carbonation is a bit much, but not annoyingly so.

Verdict: Not very pleasant at all. I drain poured it, a real let down from Alpine who are pretty good at making a world class beer.

2.6/5  rDev -21.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into my Hulk pint glass.

Thin bubbly white head that quickly dies down to a thing ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Extremely pale straw golden yellow in color and completely clear.

Smells almost like a light lager. Nothing really special here.

Tastes kinda like a light lager as well. Some light sweet malts. Mild hop presence on the end. Pretty unimpressive.

Mouthfeel is pretty low bodied with medium carbonation and a nice bite.

So basically this isn't a whole lot better than a light beer. It was kind of a bummer.

2.7/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz Bomber served right out of the fridge and poured into a Pint Glass

A – Poured a very nice and crystal clear amber color with a very nice three finger high head of fizzy and foamy white froth across the top. Very nice retention as this hung around for a good few moments before finally settling down into a thin pillow of white the reached across the entire top of the glass and started to coat the sides. Very nice carbonation as there were streams of visible bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass and racing towards the top to reinforce the foam across the top. As the contents of the glass went down there was some nice side glass lace that started to become visible and drip down the sides of the glass giving it a rather nice look for a pale lager.

S – The aroma was very musty and just chock full of malts. This had to be one of the strongest aromas of musty bread that I have ever smelled coming off a brew. To be honest it set me back a little bit as I was not expecting it to be so strong of an aroma. Some other hints inside alluded to lots of grains, and a somewhat muted, but still present smell of apricots, very clear with this smell, and not really sure where it was coming from, but it was definitely there, but suppressed by the large dose of malty bread coming through.

T – Now again I have to be honest an upfront, this was not my favorite thing in the world that I have ever tried. That being said I can proceed. The flavor seemed old to me, like, I know this seems weird, but a sweaty gym sock, if you know what I mean you can figure where it went from there, if not, it was a very musky, almost moldy type of taste with a somewhat muted but still bitter aftertaste, but not really in a good way. It did not taste “skunked” or bad really, just a style and a flavor I do not care for. There were hints of apricots again, and a ton of bread and other malts inside, but to be honest, it just was not there for me. I am not sure just what it was, but every sip seemed a little more painful then the next, so I just chugged the rest of it.

M – Very light bodied ale, with more then ample carbonation; this was definitely trying to be a light crisp refreshing sort of drink. Now had it not been for the taste, it would have pulled that off just about perfectly, as the feel was light, well carbonated, and crisp and clean. It was the flavor that really threw me off and made it quite unpleasant.

D – Now this is a loaded question. On one hand, it is low ABV, crisp, clean and well carbonated with a very light body. Now all of this would lend itself to being a very sessionable ale with loads of drinkability potential. For me though the flavor just killed it. Again it’s hard for me to describe, but it was just a musky old type of flavor that I just did not find enjoyable.

Overall I was sad that this did not turn out as well as I had hoped. I really did think this was going to be quite good and actually was going to try and get some to have as it seemed like it would be perfect to enjoy while watching a game or something, but the flavor was just not up to my tastes. It’s a shame to as I have loved everything coming out of Alpine so far, just not this one. But you know what; I try so many new things I am bound to find one I do not like. I am still glad I tried it though, different, just not my thing.

2.83/5  rDev -15%

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I've grown to love Alpine within the past week after visiting their brewery. Purchased at the brewery two days ago.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Poured with average vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours evenly, with no signs of flawed carbonation. Pours a thin one finger beige colour head of no real cream and poor thickness. Colour is a clear pale yellow. Looks pretty off for a wheat beer. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Stale malts and plain barley. Background hopping. Stale lemon. Pleasant fresh wheat. Vague citrus. No yeast comes through. A mild strength aroma. I don't get the "nutty" character the label describes. Maybe in the taste...

T: Yeah, a little bit. There's a nutty character there. Plus the usual suspects: wheat, malts, and barley. The nut is mainly on the open, generating a strange structural balance. It's not watery, thankfully - but it is quite simple. I like what they're going for, but it's a bit pedestrian by Alpine standards. There's nothing unique or special here. It's clean and pleasant, but offers little in the way of complexity or subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. A touch thin. Loses its body in the third act, leaving an empty flavour that is a rather bland way to close it out.

Dr: Pedestrian. Alpine does far better. This is one to skip if you're getting Alpine. I wouldn't get it again. Something of a disappointment. Overpriced. Drinkable but meh. Low alcohol.

C

2.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Light yellow in color with a slight foam that drops off fairly rapidly. Carbonation on the tongue is pleasant, however, for a while. Slightly sweet at first sip. Flavors are thin. Body is light. A little bit of orange peel flavor. Hopping is "mild and gentle," as they say on the label. Aroma is faintly malty and cardboardy. Drinkable, but it's more like a lager gone slightly off.

Ends with a metallic taste on the lips and some earthy, dirty hops. Certainly the classic flavor profile for the American wheat category, which is turning out to be one of my least favorites. A 22 oz bottle from the Olive Tree in OB.

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

520th review on BA
Draft to pint
@Alpine Beer Pub

App- This was almost water clear with some yellow food coloring. No head just a thin layer of bubbles.

Smell- Very very light. A base of wheat with a little bit of peel or zest on the nose

Taste- Taste follows the nose. Its a run of the mill APWA but doesnt bring a whole lot to the table. Glad I had this on tap vs bottle.

Mouth- Light bodied and high carbed. Left just a watery wheat taste.

Drink- It was okay, just a base beer to appease the masses with something light. No real flavors behind it.

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Alpine

A: Pale golden color with a thin tan head. Looks very lager-ish.

S: Toasted malt and sweet wheat aroma with a little mustiness to it. A little sweeter than I'd expect.

T: Lots of cereal and buttery yeast throughout. A hint of wheat, but there's a huge sweetness throughout that makes it a little hard to get through. Not really a fan.

Willy Wheat Ale from Alpine Beer Company