Alpine Ale - Alpine Beer Company

Alpine AleAlpine Ale

good

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

An Extra Pale Ale with a balanced malt and hop flavor. Moderate additions of Pacific Northwest Cascade and Centennial hops for a tangy, citrus flavor to complement the mild Carmel malt taste
Draft & 22 oz bottles.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-21-2003)
View: Beers (45) |  Events

Popp24

02-01-2012 02:46:57 | More by Popp24
Alieniloquium

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

650 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Deep orange and a little hazy. Nice white head on a vigorous pour. Lacing clings inside the glass. A layer of foam never fully settles.

Smell - Nutty and caramel malt. Sharp hop aroma. Grapefruit and lemon. Lemon gives it an acidic aroma.

Taste - Hop flavor is grassy and lemony. Lends a hint of tang. Toasty malts. Bready, a little nutty, and caramel sweetness. Finishes with minimal bitterness, but a lingering grassy hop flavor.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable. Not a hop bomb by any means. Medium carbonation.

Overall - There isn't much a wow factor to this beer, but it is really nice. Drinkable and flavorful.

04-21-2014 00:39:16 | More by Alieniloquium
BucannonXC5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: Draft
Glass: 12-oz. pint glass
From: Alpine Beer Company in Alpine, Calif., on Jan. 5, 2013
Price: $4.50 (I think)
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden clearer color with 1-2 fingers (when I got it) of white head. Pretty good lacing on the sides and nice retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled pale malts, butter, honey, lemon grass and some bread.

Tasted similar to the smell. Butter, honey, lemon and grassy. Some light pine notes, but as citrusy as I would have thought.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

A decent pale ale overall. Considering I was drinking most of it in the cold darkness in the back patio, these ratings could change if I tried it again.

01-06-2013 23:38:57 | More by BucannonXC5
azdback

Arizona

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my matching Alpine pint glass. Very light orange and almost yellow color. Clear in appearance with large carbonation bubbles that lead to a small soapy, one finger head. Head dissipates rather quickly and leaves just a small collar and some decent lace.

Smell is quite earthy, musty and bread notes. I can't really say that I like this much at this point. I can't pull out any decent hop notes.

Taste is much like the smell. Earth, grass and bread. Some sweetness I would describe as watermelon?

Mouth is a bit thin and watery. Carbonation is light and the finish is short and medium dry.

Overall I wasn't that turned on by this offering from one of my favorite brewery of all time. I would suggest you pick this up if given the opportunity but not something I would ever trade for or go out of my way to get again.

07-28-2012 06:14:23 | More by azdback
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to whitebricke for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Wow, he actually supplied all of the beers for my opening night tick-a-thon, thanks man! Third and final brew of my drinking session during the first night of my staying at my new place. After a little more than a growler to the face, this seemed like a good idea to call it quits. Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured yellow-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Mainatined phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, floral, spices, grain, wheat, and nutmeg. The flavor was of sweet malt, floral, grain, wheat, grain hop, and nutmeg. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The flavors on this one just didn't really 'pop' for me like I would have liked. Would have loved to have seen a little more of a citrus profile going on in this one, but you can't win them all. The aroma was surprisingly like a Saison, which I found odd as well. Still not too bad though, I just wouldn't seek it out.

08-30-2011 17:48:02 | More by thagr81us
Arbitrator

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Against my better judgment (getting tired of $8+ bombers), I bought this from K&L Wines. I haven't had it before, and I do love Alpine.

A: Pours a clear, golden yellow body with small washes of lace down the glass during sips. A moderate collar is left after the finger of foam recedes.

S: Orange, a touch of caramel. I'm surprised by how much lemon and grass I pick up in the nose; it almost reminds me of a Noble hop selection, and evokes memories of a pilsner I sipped over the weekend. I swear it reminds me of a pilsner-APA hybrid.

T: I can't shake that comparison in the taste, either. The lemon hop taste is quite distinctive, and it comes with a touch of cracked pepper. The dominant taste is actually orange rind with some grass. Almost no bitterness, or it's well masked by the light caramel malt.

M: Clean, drying finish that works well for this light-bodied beer. Good carbonation for the style. It's a little watery in the finish, which is a surprise from an otherwise-excellent brewery like Alpine.

D: This isn't as mindblowing as Hoppy Birthday; it fits more into the balanced APA spectrum. There, it's competing with the likes of Parking Violation, Moon Man, and a few others that I'd prefer to this one. It's very good, but $8 a bomber? I'm not likely to get it again.

11-09-2010 05:54:50 | More by Arbitrator
xnicknj

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to poniell for sharing (again)

Pours a clear golden with orange tones, thin white head, bubbled film and spotty lacing.

Biscuit malt, a little buttery, slight sweetness, floral hops.

Bitter floral hops with some light fruit. Biscuit malt with somewhat persistent buttery notes. A bit sweet with honey. Finishes with bitter dry hops, lingers on the tongue.

Medium body, decent carbonation, fairly refreshing on the tongue. Drinks nice, a pretty solid pale ale, although I find the buttery notes to be a recurring theme with some of their beers.

05-09-2011 21:26:05 | More by xnicknj