Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,484
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.
firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Reviews: 389 | Hads: 1,212
4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz bottle courtesy of Stawn, into a Deschutes snifter. Review #700.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber color with about an inch of stark white head that slowly recedes to a thin cap of bubbles, leaving a complete wall of bubbles around the edge of the glass. A touch of carbonation moves lazily through the glass. Really nice.

S: Tons and tons and tons and tons of hops here. Sticky, dank herbal hops all over the place. Tons of pine and juniper in here as well. A fair amount of grapefruit peel, and citrus oil type smells. Completely one dimensional and focuses entirely on the hops. Completely lives up to the name.

T: Again, a ton of hops. Lots of resinous oily, high alpha acid hops. Citrusy and piney as well. There is a bit of a malt profile in here, slightly sweet, almost like cake batter. Sweetness and the hops slowly fade into a lingering, but not overpowering bitterness. Hop resins completely coat the tongue and linger forever. Insanely hoppy, not overpoweringly bitter, and insanely drinkable. Not a ton of oak, but there's a slight amount of vanilla in here which may be slightly attributable to the oak.

M: Towards the thicker side of the spectrum, mild carbonation, and a surprisingly dry finish given the heft of the beer. A little warmth in the gullet, but not by any means a hot beer.

O: Hands down the best of the "triple" IPA's that I've had. This is a phenomenal beer. Tons of hops, huge malt profile, balanced bitterness, and incredibly drinkable. Honestly I do not know how they do it, this beer drinks almost like a quadruple dry hopped version of Duet, no other real way to explain it. Absolutely phenomenal, and lives up to the hype. Incredibly well done Alpine. Phenomenal beer. (1,717 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a hazy medium amber body and a white head that leaves lots of lace

Smell: Sweet grapefruit and spearmint aromas

Taste: Fruity and malty flavors kick off the tastebuds followed by extraordinary but but sweet citrusy hop flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Amazing that a beer this bitter and hoppy could also have such a sweet and drinkable character

Note: I had the Dec 2009 bottled version and was surprised at how different that beer tasted from my memory when I had it on tap in 2006. I didn't recall the woody and fusel alcohol character that the bottled version has at all and, I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed in it. The bottled version was decent but far from what I had anticipated. (784 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Dangerouse beer. Hides 10%+ ABV well behind a wall of rich hop flavor and smooth mouthfeel. Bitterness not as extreme as some Imperial IPA's (Stone Ruination) so very drinkable.

Cask ale really opened up aroma with warmer temp, though offset some by lower carbonation.

Another great Alpine brew. (302 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13%

A HUGE thanks to srandycarter for sending a growler of this gem my way. I rewarded him well for this one, but it was worth EVERY dollar.

A: Pours a nice bright clear golden hue with a big tall rocky head. Tons of carbonation and sheet after sheet of lace holds on for dear life. Beautiful!

S: Nice bold aromas. Tons of sweetness pours from the glass. Georgia peaches clash with dried apricots. Hint of grapefuit is overcome by orange. Touches of grass, mango, and caramel malt round things out. Awesome!

T: Wow... I am in Love. This beer stands alone in greatness. I love my Pliny, I love my Peche, but this one is just as great and unique. What Pliny is to bitter, this is to sweet. The Yang to Pliny's Ying. Tons of fresh apricot and peach nectar blast your senses from the start. Hints of citrus come thru along with some caramel, and a big dose of oak. Sweet melon comes thru in the finish. If any beer deserves a 5 in taste this is it!.

M: Full bodied and creamy. Sexy as Hell!!!

D: I will now hanker for it. This is the beer I will dream of when I go to sleep.

Thanks Randy, This beer fucking ROCKS!!! My new #1 brew. If I were on death row, I would beg the warden for this one. (1,190 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

So excited to try this beer finally. Here goes...

A: pours dark golden brown with a very nice white, one finger fluffy head. Great thick lacing stick to the walls of the glass

S: WOW! The smell is wonderful. Like a massive west coast IPA should smell. Very dank. I get a lot of different things from it. Obviously hops, and lots of them. But I also pick up hints of oak, vanilla, pine, grapefruit, grass, mango, malts and more hoppy resins.

T: again, WOW! Taste like it smells. Tropical fruit mixed with piney hops and a strong malty undertone. More oak and vanilla mixed with spicy, piney hops. I'm really impressed with the oak presence on this. Almost as if it was oak aged.

M: chewy, thick, oily and wonderfully bitter on the tongue. would love to know what the IBU on this bad boy is. the bitterness blends well with the malts and perfect carbonation.

D: the alcohol content is amazingly well disguised on this. you can fell the alcohol as it warms the back of you throat on the way down in every drink. I could drink this every day if my tongue could take it.

Overall, absolutely incredible beer. Worthy triple IPA's are hard to come by and this one has set the bar very high. A must try for any hop lover!! Big thanks to powaypat for hooking me up with this hop monster. (1,284 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Head draws to a finger in height, then dissipates quickly.

Appearance is golden with a peach hue.

Nose is very herbaceous. Pine and grapefruit with slightest of vanilla creme and booze in the follow through.

Taste initially a giant oak carved hop hammer, smashing on every taste bud like whack a moles at Chuckie Cheese! Followed by a honey, slight sherbet, milk creme. Almost like a Good Humor bar!

The finish is a partially dry, acidic-hop, and oak, which lingers moderately. (481 characters)

Reviewed from a 4oz taster glass. Had a whole bottle a week ago. It's bringin back memories.

Pours a very clear amber clolor. Nice fluffy head. Very nice lacing.

Smells amazing. Lots of citrious and fruity hops. Smells of pineapple and peach. Some pine hops as well.

Tastes just as it smells with the hop fruits in the background and a nice strong hoppyness that is balanced well with the sweetness. The sweetness of the malt is well balanced with the dryness of the booze.

Mouthfeel is awesome. The frothness of the head that most good IPAs have is wonderful. Nice light carb.

Overall an awesome beer that I hope to have many more times. (643 characters)

Poured straight from the bottle the night of the release.

Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a very light head.

Smell - Very clean smell. Tons of sweetness, honey, some pineapple and a very pleasant hop smell. I get no sense this beer will have any bitterness. By no means does this beer smell like an 11% beer.

Taste - My nose was very correct. this beer is ran by a sweet honey taste followed by a nice hop character that doesn't give off any hop bitterness. No alcohol present at all in this beer. Very smooth and easy to drink. Way too enjoyable for a 11% brew.

Overall - Pliny the Younger has all the hype, but haven had both I can honestly say I think this one takes the cake as the BEST IMPERIAL IPA. (716 characters)

On tap at the honey hole itself - Alpine Beer Company, Alpine, CA.

You know that scene in "Office Space" where that one dude is asked what he would do if he had a million dollars and he replied, "two girls at the same time"? Yeah... Exponential Hoppiness is that - Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio at Raul's house, in Raul's spa - perfection. This thing is just lush, creamy, juicy perfection. (398 characters)

I was lucky to try this for the first time the day after the release on 9-18-13, and they still had some bottles left, along with being available at the brewpub. I got a glass at the brewpub, and was blow away and ended up ordering 6 more! That's right, 6 more. All I can say is bliss. This is the best damn IPA (triple IPA) I have had in my life. Being in San Diego, and having a lot of great stuff around, that is saying a lot.

Smell is sweet, fruity and crisp. Pours with a decent amount of bubbles and head. Taste absolutely amazing, smooth, not too hoppy, and floral sweetness. Hides the high abv (11%) amazing well and that's why this one is so special. Absolutely delicious. I would do anything to seek this out.. even worth trading a Dark Lord to get your hands on it! (777 characters)

A big thanks to Jonathan who has come through with some ridiculous generosity as of late! He's a saxy dude!

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The beer is light gold in color with good clarity. A white crown of foam adorned the pour very well and receded to a slight ring that remained atop the beer throughout. Lacing grabbed the glass as the liquid level fell from persistent quaffing.

The smell of this beer is something to behold! Honestly, if you are reading this, put "Smell an Exponential Hoppiness" on your 'bucket list'. You won't be disappointed. Dank as all get out!! I love that! If I could give it a 5.5 out of 5, I would.

The taste compliments the smell quite nicely with crazy hop flavor. Sweet tangerine, grapefruit rind, weed, some pine....it's all here. A noticeable smooth sweet malt base supports the hops nicely and dangerously hides the 11% ABV.

The mouthfeel is quite smooth and medium bodied. It is damned surprising that I get virtually NO alcohol heat from this beer. None!

That hidden alcohol contributes to this dangerously easy drinker.

I suppose it had to happen to me at some point. A straight 5-oh, I mean. This beer is quite incredible and needs to be had by anyone who considers themselves a hop head. (1,246 characters)

Up until recently, I considered myself a balanced beer drinker. I never really craved any particular style of beer all the time. I enjoy them all; some at certain times of the year more than others. But in just the past couple of weeks, since Hopslam was released, I have found myself craving high IBU beers. It was for this reason that I asked my wife to pick up a Triple IPA from Alpine Beer Company, one of my all time favorite breweries, on her most recent trip to Cali (She said the staff there was very helpful to wives desperate to understand their husband's beer order.)

Pour, Color, & Aroma:
Upon pouring the beer, I noticed a glowing yellow from the beer creating a really nice halo effect. Exciting! After examining the beer in the light, as expected, the beer was crystal clear void of any sediment. The head was very crisp white and was slow to recede, leaving a slight lacing along the glass. This aroma is bewitching! I did not want to pull my nose out of my glass. The complexity was one that I was looking forward to trying to identify. Upfront was a radiant orange sweetness, followed by grapefruit zestiness and a luring pine. A subtle sugary sweetness led me into some some of the malts. A buttery biscuit succeeded the sweetness and eventually gave way to slight caramel maltiness. Just after the aroma I was ready to call this brew my favorite Triple IPA.

Taste:
Okay, this is the first beer that I wanted to stop the review and just enjoy what was in my hand. But I knew that wouldn't be fair. Grapefruit was the most dominating characteristic that came through bringing to mind a perfectly ripe piece of the fruit. Not too tangy, not too sweet, but balanced. Some other light tropical fruits made their presence known, most notably a tropical sweetness I attributed to pineapple as well as a smooth heavier sweetness that reminded me of an apricot. A light biscuit and caramel flavors came through for the malts.

Finish & Body:
This beer definitely left residual sweetness as an after taste, very similar to honey. Although I got a hint of a warming sensation as it was going down, I never would have attributed it to the alcohol. Carbonation level is a little on the low side, however I believe it works to the advantage of this style. The mouth feel is on the heavier side due to some of the creamier sweetness.

Final Thoughts:
This is a great beer. I am proud to say that this overtook the top spot on my favorite beer list, edging out Alaskan Double Black IPA by a slight margin. I highly recommend everyone to try this beer. I have not tried an average beer by this brewery, they only make phenomenal beers, and I look forward to trying each and every one! Prost Alpine! (2,712 characters)

A big thanks goes to srandycarter for helping me out with a growler of this most excellent brew.

A clear and vibrant golden amber. Steady, solid carbonation and a nice inch thick white head to cap it off. Great retention and leaves layers of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell is heavenly. Very citrusy with a little pine sap. Lightly sugared with a touch of caramel. Has the grassy, green scents that Pure Hoppiness has underneath. Definitely an amped up version and it's looking good so far.

Taste is also amazing. Perfectly balanced by caramel malt and a very light biscuit flavor that comes along in the finish. It almost starts sweet, candy like sugared flavor but only for a second. The hops come on full force and I embrace them with joy. Great citrus and tropical fruits. Grapefruit, orange, hints of pineapple and peach. The fresh green goodness is still along for the ride. Barely ever a hint of alcohol. Also for moments there is an interesting vegetable flavor, reminiscent of hoppy cucumbers. Don't ask.

The mouthfeel is pretty flawless. Not excessively bitter but definitely not thick with malt. Nice oily resinous texture along with great carbonation. Goes down so smooth with a dryness that is quite thirst quenching for a DIPA.

I think this may have replaced White Knuckle at the top of my list. I have a soft spot for DIPA's, that's for sure. The drinkability is through the roof. Finished off the growler last night with a little help, though I had to keep most of this gem to myself. (1,514 characters)

A: Name says it all Deep Gold thats bright with a faint haze. The very soft, off-white foam is more of an accent.

S: A tropical, citrus rush. The most crisp and clear aroma I've face in a long time. Nothing muddles the focus of this aroma.

T: Fruit, fire, and flavor in a semi-sweet and slightly drying melt. It's a big brew, but opens loud but then gets subtle. Just when think it's over the top, other parts put all the pieces together. Not cloying, not over alcohol, not overly malt sweet. I really like the citrus smell and taste, like eating at a Florida citrus orchard breakfest bar, with the notes of sweet grapefruit lingering in the back of the mouth.

O: Maybe my case is worship from far, as it's hard to get this So-SoCal brewer's wares all the way to Chicago. But all the effort is worth it. I've never had an Alpine beer that wasn't the top of it's group (style or peers, or whatever). It's A rating in BA is deserved. And it challenges local hero, Bells Hopslam in the category, which says loads. I've got to visit this brewery. (1,045 characters)

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last