Join our email list →

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 11.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.
Reviews: 395 | Hads: 1,260
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Again a big thanks to grub for making this one happen. Shared the growler on our last night in Cali, playing cards and reliving memories, great evening.

Pours a clear orangey gold, nice clarity, brilliant colour, thick and insanely chunky white head forms, drops lace like its going out of style, settles down to a thick layer and doesn't go away. Smell is very complex, a bit spicy, pine, grapefruit, sweet caramel and toasty malt middle, honey, oak, wood comes through underneath the hops, vanilla and oranges as well, balanced and complex, alcohol is there but it doesn't jump out. Taste is insane as well, lots of orange, grapefruit, oaky vanilla, caramel and honey, pine, spicy alcohol, all the elements come together nicely and really complement each other, the finish is dry and woody, balanced bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, pretty slick and goes down insanely well for such a big beer, very balanced and enjoyable. Drinkability is good but I think 1/3rd of the growler was the perfect amount for me. This one deserves the accolades, just a great take on a DIPA, many different elements and perfect balance. Thanks Russ!

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to srandycarter for this growler! Shared with a few other BAs.

A-poured clear, orangey golden color, decent head which dissapated quickly.
S-Very interesting hop aroma, perfumy basil, vegetal hop smell, citrus smel, but also some piney scents. Very interesting.
T-Fantastic. Sweet with caramel, minty, hops, citrus flavors are there, pine hops show up, the oak starts to be noticed as well. Not very bitter on the finish at all but borderline sweet on the finish. So fresh but not astringent. No alcohol burn.
M-Med-full and creamy. Very nice.
T-I could have drank this all night and been happy. It tasted different every time I tasted it. Very unique and delicious.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Growler thanks to hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee! Pours clearish golden with a white head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing. Smell is huge perfume-like hop aroma like fresh hop cones, a slight herbaceous smell and some slight vanilla/oak. Huge, sweet hoppy flavor. Fresh hops and pine cones all over the flavor. Vanilla and dry oakiness as well. So easy to drink this one, I could hardly tell it was 11%. Basically it was like squeezing juice right out of the hops into my mouth.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a growler of this in a recent trade from seaoflament. Thanks huge amounts, Carlos! I hand-bottled 48oz, lost about 3oz in the process and the rest went into my Duvel tulop

A: Golden orange with a dense, two-finger off-white head. Great retention, gorgeous lacing. There's some stuff floating in here but this was the last bit from the growler. I must mention that the retention is awesome, especially for a >10% beer.

S: Hops, you say? Present in bucketloads! Pine and grapefruit present up front with plenty of floral notes with some orange and mango in the back. Reading other reviews (and laboring under the impression that this was a "triple IPA"), I kind of expected *some* malt but it's barely detectable here - just a little caramel present. This is *pungently* hoppy. As this warms up, it smells like a fucking fruit garden, it's absolutely ridiculous. The one thing i can't smell is oak, but hey, does it sound like I'm complaining?

T: Hey look, I've suddenly morphed into a school girl here. My sides are split in giggles, it's that good. Copious amounts of hop flavor with minimal bitterness (but ample) here. Flavors replicate the tropical fruit basket that the nose is with tons of grapefruit, orange, pine, mango and peach. Bitterness is mild, present, resiny and ample. Malt? Present, with just the right amount of sweetness to go with the fruity and floral hops. Definitely sweeter than the Pure Hoppiness but it tapers off fairly quickly, leaving a wonderful, dry finish

M: Resiny hops, light body, great carbonation, excellent bitterness - what's not to love? This isn't the resiniest (hey, there's a Dyan-ism) of IPAs but this is perfect

D: Ridiculous. Abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous. My pint's gone in 15 minutes and I'm craving more. Work tomorrow? Fuck it, I wish I'm embalmed in this hop nectar when they come for me in the AM.

Notes: And there you have it folks. Lives up to the hype (or lack thereof) in every which way. This just is my new favorite DIPA, over Pliny (barely). Massive thanks to Carlos for bringing this up as a "random" beer when discussing a trade. I owe you and big time.Score: 4.5+5+5+5+5 = 4.9/5

**2009 April release**

As pungently piney hoppy with as ridiculous a hop aroma with a more pronounced oak and vanilla component, this smells awesome (5/5) On the palate, though, it;s not as good. I'm tempted to say it's my recent exposure to Younger, a beer among men. Opens up with massive hop flavors - pine, grapefruit, citrus, pungently so. Excellent balance between sweetness and hop character, and a brilliant balance between bittering and flavor hops. Great hop flavor and aroma, just not as drinkable as the latest batch of Younger. Overall: 4.5+5+4.5+4.5+4.5 = 4.6/5

***2009 July release***

On tap at Hamilton's. My description stays the same, but I'd drop the scores to mirror the 2009 April release

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

A HUGE thanks to srandycarter for sending a growler of this gem my way. I rewarded him well for this one, but it was worth EVERY dollar.

A: Pours a nice bright clear golden hue with a big tall rocky head. Tons of carbonation and sheet after sheet of lace holds on for dear life. Beautiful!

S: Nice bold aromas. Tons of sweetness pours from the glass. Georgia peaches clash with dried apricots. Hint of grapefuit is overcome by orange. Touches of grass, mango, and caramel malt round things out. Awesome!

T: Wow... I am in Love. This beer stands alone in greatness. I love my Pliny, I love my Peche, but this one is just as great and unique. What Pliny is to bitter, this is to sweet. The Yang to Pliny's Ying. Tons of fresh apricot and peach nectar blast your senses from the start. Hints of citrus come thru along with some caramel, and a big dose of oak. Sweet melon comes thru in the finish. If any beer deserves a 5 in taste this is it!.

M: Full bodied and creamy. Sexy as Hell!!!

D: I will now hanker for it. This is the beer I will dream of when I go to sleep.

Thanks Randy, This beer fucking ROCKS!!! My new #1 brew. If I were on death row, I would beg the warden for this one.

A big thanks goes to srandycarter for helping me out with a growler of this most excellent brew.

A clear and vibrant golden amber. Steady, solid carbonation and a nice inch thick white head to cap it off. Great retention and leaves layers of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell is heavenly. Very citrusy with a little pine sap. Lightly sugared with a touch of caramel. Has the grassy, green scents that Pure Hoppiness has underneath. Definitely an amped up version and it's looking good so far.

Taste is also amazing. Perfectly balanced by caramel malt and a very light biscuit flavor that comes along in the finish. It almost starts sweet, candy like sugared flavor but only for a second. The hops come on full force and I embrace them with joy. Great citrus and tropical fruits. Grapefruit, orange, hints of pineapple and peach. The fresh green goodness is still along for the ride. Barely ever a hint of alcohol. Also for moments there is an interesting vegetable flavor, reminiscent of hoppy cucumbers. Don't ask.

The mouthfeel is pretty flawless. Not excessively bitter but definitely not thick with malt. Nice oily resinous texture along with great carbonation. Goes down so smooth with a dryness that is quite thirst quenching for a DIPA.

I think this may have replaced White Knuckle at the top of my list. I have a soft spot for DIPA's, that's for sure. The drinkability is through the roof. Finished off the growler last night with a little help, though I had to keep most of this gem to myself.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a golden color with a frothy 2 finger head. The head retention is excellent and leaves ample lacing as it recedes. The aroma is of grapefruit, pine sap, and oily hops. Delicious citrus flavor. This hop wine has a long, bitter, dry finish. There's a slight hint of alcohol but it's very well masked for the high abv. The beer is very well carbonated. I've had this on cask before but I very much prefer it on tap.

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Downtown Johnny Brown. Hazy orange with a medium white head. Smell is of melon, mango, pine, grapefruit and some sweetness. The flavor is very dry with some orange peel. The mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy. I've never tasted a IIPA like this one, it is very drinkable for at almost 11%.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

I will seize this oppourtunitiy to review the impressive and ever elusive Exponential Hoppiness. Made popular by the success of Pure Hoppiness, Exponential is BAMF in comparison.

A: Dark golden/amber pour shows off its effervescence when held to light. A dense, tighly laced head last but 2-3 minutes after first pour.
S: Immense citrus fills my nose. A piney/oily hop presence is also noticed. The fruitiness continues with appearances of grapefruit, mango, banana and other smells that remind me of something tropical.
T: The hop flavors meld the sweet smell into something more palateable and bitter. The woodsy/piney character transfers from nose to mouth, but no more tropical paradise. The taste of alcohol breaks through the hoppiness.
M: Very coating, but not overwhelming. A bit of a suprise for how big this beer is. Slick and flowing. Holds its carbonation for some time.
D: A very big beer that manages to remain enjoyable. This is one that could creep up on you. Definately not one to pound with your pals, but rather enjoy with beer geeks alike. Refined taste and great hop character.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Growler generously shared by an unidentified man in a black hat before the Port anniversary party, had two different times yesterday and this stuff blew me away, Alpine really needs to bottle this

A-Color was a cloudy orange with golden yellow highlights, one inch foamy white head, fantastic retention, foam did not budge for a good amount of time, great lacing as well

S-This stuff was extremely danky, resin smell was very strong, piney hoppiness, lemon juice, this honestly smelled like a plant after being swirled a little bit, barely could smell any malt but it was a little sweet with vanilla tones

T-Started off with a huge floral hop presence that was quickly overshadowed by intense pine flavors, very little malt shortly after, dank hops in the finish that just about knocked my socks off, as it warmed slightly there was even more of the hop profile showing with some grapefuit added now to the big piney taste, aftertaste was extremely dry from the hoppiness, wow this bitter and I definitely was not complaining, perhaps the most hoppy DIPA I have ever experienced, never really got sweet, more herbal and earthy towards the end compared to what it was like at the beginning, hop profile was unforgettable

M-One of the best balanced double IPAs I have ever had, mouthfeel was dry, bitter, sweet, and piney at the same time, refreshing and mouth watering at the same time, left some cotton mouth but that was just because of the extreme hops

D-Could drink a lot of this even though the ABV is very high, light on the stomach, very refreshing, alcohol is hidden amazingly, could even be drank on a hot day, had to be careful with this stuff or I would not have been able to drive, so smooth

Really enjoy Pure Hoppiness but this brew is even better, one of the most balanced DIPAs I have ever had, reminded me a lot of Pliny the Younger but just not as sweet, hope this is brewed more regularly in the future and I might actually make the three hour trek out to Alpine to grab some more, hope to drink again soon, highly recommended

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours dark copper with a slight haze. A fullish rush of fine carbonation swells up a inch-plus head of off-white.
Ripped sheets of clingy foam, and a full coverage skim coat remains throughout.

Pungently hoppy with oak-laden malt undertones.
Grapefruit pith, candied bitter orange peel, pine resin, freshly turned earth, and oak bark. Alcohol is everpresent with each whiff.

Sticky, sappy, chewy mouthfeel. Tongue- coating, and on the thick side of medium.

Bitter spruce sap, citrus oils, leafy hops, and juicy malt lead off the pallet. An oaky dryness steps forward along with warming alcohol. Lingering bitterness, ripe fruit, and forest floor are a mainstay for each sip.
A whallop of grapefruit, pine needles, and oaky malt.

Quite malty for an IIPA, and approaching barleywine territory, but stopping short.
A bit numbing in the nose and pallet, with the onslaught of hops and alcohol.

Similar to Hopsickle, but more malty, and the oaking adds some nice depth, which rounds out the brew as well.

Update 1/21/10..22oz bottle arrived fresh today.

Pungent nose chock full of tangerines, spruce needles, grapefruit and oak shavings. Sweetish and tropical.

Crisp, juicy mouthfeel with a slightly chewy body.

Tangerine, grapefruit, pine bark, and juicy fruit start the palate. A slight numbness approaches but stops short of overly bitter. Sweetish and very tropical with piney undertones.

Finishes with lingering citrus pith, warming alcohol, and a mildly gripping bitterness. A trace of oak is there if you look.

The bottle version is not as oaky or malty as I remember the growler being, and also the aroma is not as pungent and floral.
Still probably one of the best IIPA's I've had in a bottle.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

A well carbonated pour from the growler easily produces a three-finger thick, creamy textured, light tan colored crown of froth. The beer is a lightly orange tinged, full amber color that shows a lightly hop-hazed, orange-copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is very sticky with hop notes; candied grapefruit, huge lychee, apricot & other tropical fruit notes are quite noticeable even while pouring this brew. A focused sampling of the aroma gets aromatic notes that lean much more towards the herbal / pine side of the spectrum. Though the beer still smells of sticky, sugar preserved hop buds. The sharper side of the hop produces notes of grass, pine sap, some slight chive notes, a huge hemp oil contribution. It is interesting that this was so intensely fruity smelling as I was pouring it, but that a focused inspection of the aroma is much more dominated by concentrated herbal & essential oil components.

Sweet and thick tasting with a ton of residual malt sugars, these are not by any means overwhelming though as this has a huge hop character that easily offsets the malt; in fact the residual malt sugars are not even overly noticeable because of all the hop character. Sharply bitter, with lots of green, astringent hop notes and a finish that tastes like what I would imagine chewing on a fat, juicy, marijuana bud (though there is lots of malt to keep this from becoming over-bearing). Up front and through to the middle some nice, underlying citrus & tropical fruit flavors are found; these contribute flavors of lychee, candied ruby-red-grapefruit, orange-marmalade and peach concentrate. This is clearly dominated by the greener hop flavors; in addition to the piquantly expressive hemp-oil flavor there are notes of chives, mentholated pine, lots of herbal turpenes (rosemary, garlic chive and a touch of sage oil). Thick and chewy, this is approaching a Barleywine in heft, it just retains enough lightness to retain the IPA allusions though. The plethora of hop character also keeps this from every getting sticky or cloying. The malt character is clearly a supporting character, really not noticeable on its own, but it plays a significant role in carrying the hop character.

My second pour of this beer reminds me how very well carbonated this beer is; visually it is quite apparent, but the beer is thick enough that it is not as noticeable in the flavor as one might think, though it does add a certain prickle / lightness to the beer as it flows across the tongue. This beer doesn't seem to take to warming as much as some, the combination of hops and alcohol gets a bit harsh after a bit.

Big, powerful, overbearing, an exercise in self inflicted tongue flagellation, but is it good. It most certainly is, but it is a bit too astringent & hemp-oil dominated for me. There are times when I can enjoy a scathing, tongue scraping, astringently hoppy beer, but most times I like something a bit more drinkable. Definitely a beer for the enthusiastic hop head. I am not sure if I am getting more discriminating or if I am just getting burned out on over-the-top beers, but this is not nearly as enjoyable as I expected. I really do enjoy excessive amounts of hops in a beer, but it has to have a drinkability and finesse that this beer just doesn't quite have. Still this is a good beer, though it is one I really only want a 12 oz serving of (luckily I could share my growler, because there was no way I would finish it on my own).

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

This is now a contender for best DIPA I've ever had. It was in a growler.

Pours a light orange (closer to yellow) color that is nice and clear. Decent amount of foam, not much retention. Decent lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy. Tons of citrus (orange, lemon) and some pine. Surprising amount of malt smell coming through all those hops. Not sure when this was brewed but theres a good chance that some of the aroma is starting to fade.

The taste is beautifully balanced between malt sweetness (not too much) and loads of hop goodness. There is fairly high bitterness level but because of the sugar content its tough to say just how much, 100+ most likely. A little alcohol is noticeable once the beer warms but when its cool its just an amazing beer.

The body is a bit thin but the high CO2 level makes up for that. Very drinkable beer and I would love to have more of this.

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Medium brooding gold with a night tight eggshell whtie head of foam that is modest in size, stature, and retention. Aromas of freh piney citrusy hops with tons of oil, resin, a bit of maryjane and grapefruit pulp as well as slight pomegranate seed. Taste is hoppy up front with a light biscuity maltness, sweet in the middle with a tropical hop thing going on. The bready malt ties this one together in the middle and the finish which is the sticky icky slightly drying than refreshing it begs to make you take another step. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oh-so-smooth. Drinkability is great! This stuff is phenomenal I can't wait to drink some fresh from the tap (Hopefully) the next time that I am in SoCal in early June. To me this isn't quite as good as Pliny, but it is damn near close. Great job Alpine!

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Served from a 64 oz growler at about 36F into a standard 16 oz pint.

Aroma at the growler top had loads of hops, so big it was like sniffing a bag of hop cones.

Pours with medium thick body and a nice heavy off white head about 1" high.

Color is medium amber, leaning towards golden, essentially no haze.

Nose in the glass has a lovely variety, hoppy, citrusy, sweet and a hint of diacetyl.

Taste is a bit unbalanced in favor of the hops. Maybe a hint of diacetyl, and finish is a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderate thickness for the style, slick, and alcohol warmth is evident, but no fusels.

As it warms in the glass, it perfectly maintains its balance.

Overall quite a drinkable beer, with a high ABV that doesn't dominate the character.

Poured a gold color with the head modest in size. Massive hop floral spiciness hits your sense first, followed by a sweet malt backing, citrus crisp and fresh, quite clean with the start nicely malted, slightly sweet and the top middling in its feel to the palate. The finish has a fair to middling acidity with as one would expect a "Big" hop bite that lingers on the palate, dry and quite a nice representative to the style, another of the beers I sampled at least three times to get a handle on its flavors.

4.54/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in a pint glass at O'Brien's Pub.
A: 3/4 finger head. Cloudy orangey-yellow with greenish edges. A couple floaty bits in it. Terrific head retention! Really tight foam. Only negative was color.
S: A lactosey creaminess. Dank, marijuana smell, piney as well with notes of candy corn coming through later.
T: Smooth entrance with hops easing their way in. Some cooked veggie/carrot taste was the only negative.
M: Mouth watering opening with bitter hops following, but oh so well balanced!
D: Pretty strong, but delicious!

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a growler from the brewery on 12/11 and I’ve been really anxious about trying this beer since I read about it.

Pours a slightly brown orange with about half an inch of foam (I poured it a bit too cold because when I sampled this one at the brewery the head was most impressive). Some spots of lacing here and there.

Sweet malt profile with lots or citrus hops followed closely by the pine notes. Biscuit and toasted bread aroma with some orange jelly like combination. Fresh limes with some grassy overtones. No hints of alcohol at all yet it smells like a big filling beer—definitely Pure Hoppiness’ older brother.

The taste is actually pretty well balanced yet there are enough hops to please the hopheads, very well done. The caramel flavors together with the bready malt and the citrus hops blend to perfection. There is enough malt to back up all of the hops. A little more hop bitterness in the finish as the beer begins to warm up, but it’s all good :o) Mmm, acidic orange and tangerine.

The mouthfeel is a little on the syrupy side but there is enough carbonation to ease the thickness. The aftertaste is slightly bitter with some grass and citrus peel. The alcohol plays hide and seek well in this beer, I can’t find you!

Drinkability you say? I’m battling a 64oz growler, anyone want to help? For such a high abv it is still quite drinkable and one could easily finish a bomber of this.

I just wish this was available in bottles (seasonal to be realistic) or brewed more often.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

On cask at O'Brien's
A- Clear light orange hue, thin lacing of white foam, spotty lacing
S- Bouquet of citrus and pine hops, dark fruits and molasses
T- Taste starts with smooth pine and grapefruit hop wave, transitions to floral, earthy and grassy hops, a nice cascade of hop flavors
M- Medium-bodied, oily resin texture coats mouth, mild carbonation
D- This embodies complexity and layering within a bold DIPA, it is delicious from start to finish, the alcohol is totally masked which is a feat at 10%, this was an absolute joy to have on cask and one of my new faves

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

On tap at the Stone Bistro. Poured into an 8oz snifter glass. Appearance was a very glowing orange color with great clarity. The smell was pretty pungent hops, but with lots of sweetness as well. Tasted like sweet hop oils. This beer definitely had a lot of sweet malt backing it up giving at a medium and syrupy mouthfeel. Had enough going on in the hop arena to keep me interested as usually double IPA's aren't my favorite if they are sweet and syrupy. Drinkability depends on your taste, I prefer to drink only a limited amount of these types of high alcohol sweet beers but this one was definitely enjoyable.
___

4-4-09
On tap at O'Brien's and then from a growler at JHamel's house. The smell is very tropical, sweetish. There is a characteristic Alpine sorta thing to this, not completely sure it's totally hop derived either. The taste reminded me somewhat of their Bad Boy DIPA, and not so much of Pure Hoppiness. The body is a touch too syrupy for it to get excellent marks, and it comes across a little more sweet than I prefer too. Drinkability suffers for me because of that overall sweetness. Overall still pretty tasty though.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was poured into an 8 ounce snifter. Beer was poured a slightly orange amber color with a yellowish white head. The head was about a quarter of an inch thick and lasted the entire beer with a better than average amount of lacing. The smell was a very citrus aroma of grapefruit and orange, there were also some hints of a floral hop smell. Not a super strong aroma, but very pleasing.

The taste was a very balanced hop flavor, where each different hop was tasted about the same as the rest. A very smooth double IPA with a lot of hops taste, but not a sharp overall bitterness. The aftertaste was great with just a nice hop flavor and no real super dry bitter flavor. The mouthfeel was good with the CO2 being just a little weak, but a nice thick double IPA worth drinking again.

Wow, a great beer from Alpine, not the easiest beer to find but well worth it if you get a chance to try it. A must if you like Double IPAs.

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

A glass tasted during Dark Lord Day.

A: The ale is a hazy amber orange color. The travel and open growler have done their number on the carbonation, giving the ale little in the way of head.

S: The nose is a citrusy bitterness, full of grapefruit and pine aromas but not as intense as I expected from a beer called 'Exponential Hoppiness'.

T: The taste does not skimp on the hops, they are bitter with a strong citrusy grapefruit flavor. As the ale sits in the mouth, a huge, intensely bitter hop element quickly emerges, providing astringent grapefruit flavors built on pineapple and pine flavors, creating a thick mouthfeel that burns with hop deliciousness.

M: The mouthfeel begins on an average note and quickly escalates into an all-out hop assault.

D: The 1/2 glass that I had was very enjoyable, full of big hops and quite drinkable even with the hefty abv.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

this beer sparkles the color of a dying fire and hot embers. it is so crystal clear, i can see my fingerprints clearly through the glass. the head is thick and peppered with small orbs, the lacing is monstrously sticky and nearly all-encompassing.

big hop aroma, not overly citrusey, but fresh. hints of cherry syrup and maplewood round out an intriguing nose. this is certainly not traditional west coast.. starting to remind me alot of the recently released mojo risin' in its balanced interpretation of the extreme.

now i know where the woody smell comes from. oak chips, as you might have read above. well, the first thing i thought when i drank this beer was "burton baton!".. only mellower and less sweet. like bb used to be. whereas dfh's woody dipa ends with a blast of caramelly sweetness, this beer ends with an even dryness that reeks of hop oils and balances the whole experience nicely. not to mention, the alcohol (10+?) never comes into play or interferes with my quaffing experience.

the only criticism is the mouthfeel/taste of the beer mid-palate. it washes over the tongue, initially, with some abrasiveness. i can only describe this brief sensation as mildly metallic, and a tad minty. it seems to be a lead-up to the last blast of grapefruity hop flavor before the dryness appears in the finish.

overall, an excellent beer.. but as the previous reviewer stated, not in the top tier of double ipa's.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

A: An unassuming brash copper with a clean feel. Almost no bubble movement inside the glass, only a few strays. Head is full and fluffy, an attractive antique white.

S: This beer reeks of hops, the aroma jumped out of the growler the moment it the cap came off. The glass holds plethora of sugary pink grapefruit, over ripe tangerine and pine forest floor after a good rain. The smell is overly fragrant but not really aggressive.

T: Begins with a lot of the same qualities as lemon iced tea; almost pungent and herbal on the front of the tongue, bits of apples around the sides and lemon bitterness across the back. An almost cheese like characteristic comes in next, surprisingly attractive for such a poor description on my part. Citrus moves in next with the same buttery grapefruit sense that the Pure Hoppiness possesses. It creeps around the back sides of the tongue and gently lays down a blanket of soothing bitterness. Finishes murky, almost damp and mossy with hints of kiwi and under ripe green grapefruit.

M: Medium body, somewhat hard with just a nip of carbonation sting.

D: Very nice with a curious and unique flavor. Not an overly complex or deep beer but quite enjoyable none the less. Highly recommended to hop heads

Photo of
4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Picked up a growler while on business in San Diego. It's time has come...

Beautiful deep gold color. Very clear. Modest, off white head.

Aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, maybe some peach and honey. A little vanilla in there? Delightful!

For a billing of exponential hoppiness, it seems very well balanced. You will not mistake this DIPA for a barleywine, but it is incredibly well put together. Grapefruit and other citrus flavors, probably peach as well. Touch of caramel. A very nice lingering grassy flavor in the finish. Alcohol is present from first sip, but not obnoxious. Pepper also shows up at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium+ in body. Medium carbonation (growler is a week old, but seems pretty much the same as what I tried fresh at the brewery). Very dry.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Just might have unseated Pliny for me, but too close to call. I have some Pure Hoppiness in my cellar, and now I can't wait to try it. The wonderful thing is I have 40 plus more ounces of this to work my way through....

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company