Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,420
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003)

mixed_master7, Sep 28, 2013

ToddThompson, Sep 23, 2013

mychalg9, Sep 23, 2013

CoolEthan, Sep 20, 2013

socalbrewlvr, Sep 19, 2013

I was lucky to try this for the first time the day after the release on 9-18-13, and they still had some bottles left, along with being available at the brewpub. I got a glass at the brewpub, and was blow away and ended up ordering 6 more! That's right, 6 more. All I can say is bliss. This is the best damn IPA (triple IPA) I have had in my life. Being in San Diego, and having a lot of great stuff around, that is saying a lot.

Smell is sweet, fruity and crisp. Pours with a decent amount of bubbles and head. Taste absolutely amazing, smooth, not too hoppy, and floral sweetness. Hides the high abv (11%) amazing well and that's why this one is so special. Absolutely delicious. I would do anything to seek this out.. even worth trading a Dark Lord to get your hands on it!

Rish907, Sep 19, 2013

akang, Sep 19, 2013

JDM44, Sep 19, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +7%

SDStoneEnthusiast, Sep 17, 2013

On tap at the honey hole itself - Alpine Beer Company, Alpine, CA.

You know that scene in "Office Space" where that one dude is asked what he would do if he had a million dollars and he replied, "two girls at the same time"? Yeah... Exponential Hoppiness is that - Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio at Raul's house, in Raul's spa - perfection. This thing is just lush, creamy, juicy perfection.

RaulMondesi, Sep 17, 2013

Shmeal, Aug 30, 2013

soonerchamps, Aug 28, 2013

valdieu2, Aug 23, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

I have the opportunity to sample this tap only selection thanks to the generosity of srandycarter, thanks Randy! I was a big fan of the little brother, Pure Hoppiness, and I've been looking forward to this one. Exponential Hoppiness chugs from the growler the purest of gold with a crystal clear body and copper highlights. I'm surprised at the clarity of this beer. The carbonation is slack and barely detectable but what's there swirls slowly to the surface. The pour was on the aggressive side but leads to a quality two finger head of clean white density. As the head slowly recedes and I take drink after drink incredible skyline like lacing is left behind. This is a great looking brew.

The aroma on this beer is incredibly unique and, although it's been a little while since my last bottle, seems to be in the vein of Burton Baton. The oak chip additions add an incredibly deep complexity to this beer that I never see. Overall the aroma of this IIPA seems very balanced with mild caramel and sweet biscuity aromas mingling with the subtle citric hoppiness. All the exponential hop additions add a slightly sweet orange oil nose to the already layed out maltiness. The oak chips add a touch of woodiness (oak obviously) but more importantly a vegetal aroma that I'm actually fond of. I'm not usually fond of the vegetal aromas in my beer but this is reminiscent of celery seed and I find it very inviting. It is mild so don't be scared away. Again, the aroma is incredibly unique and the only other similar smells, I've come across, come from Burton Baton.

The flavor has all the unique and delicious qualities of the aroma. There is a good amount of sweetness which I usually don't appreciate in my IIPAs but with the different qualities at work here it fits nicely. The sweetness is a mix of both the orange oil type hoppiness and the caramel/sweet biscuity like sweetness. I'm surprised that the huge amount of hops thrown into this beer has such a mellow effect on the flavor. This may be confusing but the oak chips play a major role without being totally woody. The oak is there in small amounts but just like in the aroma it contributes more of a celery seed vegetal flavor then pure oak. The celery seed finishes things off with the orange oils leaving a decent bitterness behind. Again, very unique flavors and I really enjoy them all.

The carbonation is sluggish on this beer which really helps improve the overall enjoyability. The body leans toward the heavier side of moderate with a surprisingly velvety mouthfeel. After the swallow I'm left with a touch of residual sweetness and a slowly growing bitterness. The bitterness does hold still when it coats the entire drink hole and sticks around moderate.

This IIPA weighs in at a big 10.5% and there is zero noticeable alcohol. As a matter of fact I have a hard time believing it has that much alcohol. Of course after a couple pints I can feel the booze creep up on me. This is one incredibly easy drinking IIPA and may be one of the easiest drinking of the style I've had to date. While it's big as hell it's also so balanced that it goes down incredibly easy. Excuse me for using the same old cliche, I'm really not that creative, but this is dangerously drinkable.

To tell the truth I was expecting a hugely aromatic, hugely bitter IIPA after drinking Pure Hoppiness but what I got was a totally different beast. This beer drinks like it weighs in at 7% and I savor every sip. Have I said this beer was a surprise yet? Oh, that's right, too many times now. It really is though and I would recommend it to anyone. Whatever you do don't expect a big bitter hop bomb because you won't get it. Thanks again for the great beer Randy!

joe1510, Aug 19, 2013