Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,403
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003)
MasterSki

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Huge thanks to srandycarter for sending a growler of this to me. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Three fingers of gorgeous yellow-tinged off-white foam with excellent retention and some spotty lacing. Transparent glowing golden orange color with tons of tiny bubbles racing to the top. I could have gone for a touch more lacing but otherwise it's gorgeous.

S - Citrus and pine hop explosion. When I poured this brew I could smell it from like 2 feet away. There's loads of tropical fruits and some dank earthy tinges as well - not sure if those are from a certain hop or from the oak chipping. There's nary a trace of alcohol to be found. This definitely rivals the Kuhnhenn Extreme IPA in the smell department.

T - Tons of sweet citrus, tropical, and candied fruits - a lot like 16 Grit in that regard. There's also a touch of the dank weed and oak flavors early on that morph into more floral, melon, and vanilla notes the end. There is a shocking lack of bitterness to this brew - I'm almost disappointed - it took a good two glasses before it started to accumulate. Again, there's no trace of alcohol.

M - Incredibly creamy and smooth, surprisingly moderate carbonation, medium body, and lots of residual stickiness. I'm getting slightly incoherent at this point, but in any case it is what I expect from a DIPA.

D - Other than the high ABV (which I can't taste) it has all the attributes of session brews - low carbonation, great taste, low bitterness, etc. This is one deceptive - other than the mounting buzz there is nothing to keep me from pounding this one down. I will be very sad when I finish this growler.

This is on par with the other great DIPAs (PtY, 16 Grit, etc.) - highly recommended!

04-11-2009 04:15:08 | More by MasterSki
Overlord

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

A thousand and one thanks to Jesse for picking up a growler of this brew for me. I will be hard-pressed to repay him.

Pours a bright golden orange. More gold than orange. Very unusual looking. An inch or so of white foam head.

Curiously understated floral bouquet. Pleasant, with a bit of pine.

Taste is strangely spicy, with a nice, tiny bit of tropical sweetness of mango ... maybe papaya ... and even a bit of malt. However, the overriding flavor is piney bitterness. This is a bitter beer. There's some balance ... in fact, it's surprisingly malty. The spiciness and pepperiness of it is a huge surprise. What is that? The alcohol is pretty noticeable, but doesn't detract too much.

Quite drinkable, very solid. This isn't the class of Dreadnaught or Pliny the Younger, though.

04-08-2009 07:48:21 | More by Overlord
paytoplay

3.95/5  rDev -11.2%

Tap at sd toro, and uber fresh. Great aroma. Nice rich complex hops, pine, spice, floral and only a touch tropical. Great upfront aroma and flavors. Not as rich and viscious as I usually enjoy. Mid is nice but starts to fade and the finish is short. Maybe the 10+ alc thins and cuts this down too early. It is pretty darn good, wish this was in bottle.

04-05-2009 16:02:18 | More by paytoplay
surfer4life

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

poured into a pint glass from a growler!

A - trasnparent and golden with a 2 finger head. Good lacing all the way down.

S - Smells like the sap from a fresh cut pine tree. The grapefruit aroma is strong from the intense hop content.

T - Pure hops, but suprisingly smooth. Some compare this to Pliny, but I don't get it. Where I get some sweetness from pliny, there is not much, as a matter of fact it's smack you in the face bitter and delicious. Alcohol is barely tasted. Butter and heavy cream in the finish. This is top notch.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation, creamy as can be leaving the mouth coated and the taste lingering for a long time.

D - So damn drinkable, but to much could be dangerous, so I shall not drink the whole growler, the is Exceptional beer!

04-03-2009 01:52:08 | More by surfer4life
magictrokini

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours slightly cloudy light orange with no head. Aroma is heavy with pine and citrus. The taste is incredible. Full on hop assault with grapefruit and light sweetness. This taste remains with you throughout, but mellows due the oak chips (I presume). Very smooth, almost a syrupy mouthfeel. To date, the best Imperial IPA I've ever had.

12-04-2008 19:58:31 | More by magictrokini
hopdog

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

On tap @ the San Diego Strong Ale Fest.

Poured a medium golden color with a small white head. Aromas and tastes of pines and citrus mixed in. Some malts to balance it out. Sweet with a nice bitter balance. Alcohol content well hidden. I really need to get this one again.

11-11-2008 02:33:04 | More by hopdog
biegaman

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Thick clumps rock about a chunky cloud-like surface of white. The glass becomes entirely blanketed with honeycomb lacing. A sparkling gold shade. Consonance between clarity and glow produce a beer of absolutely pristine appearance. Beautiful.

Oh glorious hops! The smell is sharp and shoots right into your nostrils with notes of grapefruit rind, orange peel, and lemon scented cleaning product. The booze gives these an especially fiery and piercing character.

The flavour grants us those same notes of lemon custard, citrus, and orange creamsickles. The hops add citrus and the malts add sweetness, the balance is seamless. The oak wasn't apparent initially, but in time, would show up in very large part with an ounce of wood spice and a ton of buttery vanilla.

The alcohol never seemed to fully show up. The wood chips made the finish very dry and the mouthfeel exceptionally creamy. Really creamy. The hop acidity, high alcohol content, and buttery character from the wood all weigh in perfectly. I found it extremely drinkable.

This same brewery makes one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Now that I've tried their DIPA I have a tough time deciding which impresses me more. In both cases they cram a gluttonous level of hops into tasty, refreshing, well balanced beers.

One thing for sure: Alpine's Exponential Hoppiness is a refined DIPA. The use of oak gave the beer a very elegant disposition that makes it 'exponentially' exquisite for a style that is usually only about being 'in you face' hoppy. Impressive.

A huge thanks to Grub for sharing this growler!

10-07-2008 21:54:42 | More by biegaman
largadeer

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Beautifully clear golden amber with small bits of sediment floating about - chunks of hops, perhaps? An inch of creamy white head forms and retains nicely.

Smell: A big dry hopped orange and grapefruit aroma is the first thing to greet my nose upon opening this one. Further inspection reveals a dry bready malt backbone - noticeable but not sweet. Resin, tobacco and a touch of oak add depth and complexity. Incredible nose on this stuff.

Taste & mouthfeel: Loaded with citrusy hop goodness, grapefruit being especially prominent, with a bit of lemon peel toward the finish. At almost 11% ABV, this is surprisingly light bodied, and it's not overly malty or sweet either. In that sense it reminds me of Russian River's Pliny the Younger. The malt backbone is just barely present, lending the faintest hint of sweetness along with a note of grain. There's a slight estery quality as well, subtle enough that it adds complexity without meddling with what's important: the hops. There's a ton of hop flavor here, and the bitterness is perfect - strong, but not harsh or astringent.

Drinkability: My pint went hilariously fast for a 10.5% beer, and I could probably drink another. I'd surely be tanked after that, though.

09-09-2008 00:19:51 | More by largadeer
grub

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

srandycarter hooked me up with this one. my trip to california was just a little too late to catch this on tap, but randy was nice enough to save a growler for me. thanks!

64oz growler. sampled sept 1/08.

pours crystal clear deep orangey amber with a huge rocky cream coloured head. the head drops slowly and leaves lots of chunky lace behind.

aroma is great. orange. pine and grapefruit. tangerine. big buttery oak aroma from a distance, but more dominated by the hops up close. toasted white bread. light alcohol, but surely doesn't seem like nearly 11%.

taste is great. grapefruit. orange peel - almost like an orange oil. tangerine. toasted white bread with butter. light alcohol. bit of biscuit. just over medium bitterness level, a little lower than i expected. raw oak. bit of vanilla. slightly powdery hops. i really don't like the butter in this, but love the rest. after a while the hops seem to mostly overpower the butter, but it's still always lingering in the background.

mouthfeel is great. very well integrated medium carbonation level. just over medium body with a nice dry finish.

drinkability is excellent. a near perfect balance of malt, hops, and alcohol that leaves only a fraction of the ABV visible. its only real fault in my eyes is the buttery component. i really don't enjoy butterscotch or heavy butter on food, so maybe it's more of a personal preference thing and i've tried to let the scores reflect that. overall still a great beer that i'm happy to have had the chance to try.

09-05-2008 17:48:21 | More by grub
Viggo

4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

Again a big thanks to grub for making this one happen. Shared the growler on our last night in Cali, playing cards and reliving memories, great evening.

Pours a clear orangey gold, nice clarity, brilliant colour, thick and insanely chunky white head forms, drops lace like its going out of style, settles down to a thick layer and doesn't go away. Smell is very complex, a bit spicy, pine, grapefruit, sweet caramel and toasty malt middle, honey, oak, wood comes through underneath the hops, vanilla and oranges as well, balanced and complex, alcohol is there but it doesn't jump out. Taste is insane as well, lots of orange, grapefruit, oaky vanilla, caramel and honey, pine, spicy alcohol, all the elements come together nicely and really complement each other, the finish is dry and woody, balanced bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, pretty slick and goes down insanely well for such a big beer, very balanced and enjoyable. Drinkability is good but I think 1/3rd of the growler was the perfect amount for me. This one deserves the accolades, just a great take on a DIPA, many different elements and perfect balance. Thanks Russ!

09-04-2008 18:01:22 | More by Viggo
hopsleeroy

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to srandycarter for this growler! Shared with a few other BAs.

A-poured clear, orangey golden color, decent head which dissapated quickly.
S-Very interesting hop aroma, perfumy basil, vegetal hop smell, citrus smel, but also some piney scents. Very interesting.
T-Fantastic. Sweet with caramel, minty, hops, citrus flavors are there, pine hops show up, the oak starts to be noticed as well. Not very bitter on the finish at all but borderline sweet on the finish. So fresh but not astringent. No alcohol burn.
M-Med-full and creamy. Very nice.
T-I could have drank this all night and been happy. It tasted different every time I tasted it. Very unique and delicious.

08-29-2008 20:55:53 | More by hopsleeroy
thickerfreakness

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Growler thanks to hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee! Pours clearish golden with a white head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing. Smell is huge perfume-like hop aroma like fresh hop cones, a slight herbaceous smell and some slight vanilla/oak. Huge, sweet hoppy flavor. Fresh hops and pine cones all over the flavor. Vanilla and dry oakiness as well. So easy to drink this one, I could hardly tell it was 11%. Basically it was like squeezing juice right out of the hops into my mouth.

08-29-2008 05:03:45 | More by thickerfreakness
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Got a growler of this in a recent trade from seaoflament. Thanks huge amounts, Carlos! I hand-bottled 48oz, lost about 3oz in the process and the rest went into my Duvel tulop

A: Golden orange with a dense, two-finger off-white head. Great retention, gorgeous lacing. There's some stuff floating in here but this was the last bit from the growler. I must mention that the retention is awesome, especially for a >10% beer.

S: Hops, you say? Present in bucketloads! Pine and grapefruit present up front with plenty of floral notes with some orange and mango in the back. Reading other reviews (and laboring under the impression that this was a "triple IPA"), I kind of expected *some* malt but it's barely detectable here - just a little caramel present. This is *pungently* hoppy. As this warms up, it smells like a fucking fruit garden, it's absolutely ridiculous. The one thing i can't smell is oak, but hey, does it sound like I'm complaining?

T: Hey look, I've suddenly morphed into a school girl here. My sides are split in giggles, it's that good. Copious amounts of hop flavor with minimal bitterness (but ample) here. Flavors replicate the tropical fruit basket that the nose is with tons of grapefruit, orange, pine, mango and peach. Bitterness is mild, present, resiny and ample. Malt? Present, with just the right amount of sweetness to go with the fruity and floral hops. Definitely sweeter than the Pure Hoppiness but it tapers off fairly quickly, leaving a wonderful, dry finish

M: Resiny hops, light body, great carbonation, excellent bitterness - what's not to love? This isn't the resiniest (hey, there's a Dyan-ism) of IPAs but this is perfect

D: Ridiculous. Abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous. My pint's gone in 15 minutes and I'm craving more. Work tomorrow? Fuck it, I wish I'm embalmed in this hop nectar when they come for me in the AM.

Notes: And there you have it folks. Lives up to the hype (or lack thereof) in every which way. This just is my new favorite DIPA, over Pliny (barely). Massive thanks to Carlos for bringing this up as a "random" beer when discussing a trade. I owe you and big time.Score: 4.5+5+5+5+5 = 4.9/5

**2009 April release**

As pungently piney hoppy with as ridiculous a hop aroma with a more pronounced oak and vanilla component, this smells awesome (5/5) On the palate, though, it;s not as good. I'm tempted to say it's my recent exposure to Younger, a beer among men. Opens up with massive hop flavors - pine, grapefruit, citrus, pungently so. Excellent balance between sweetness and hop character, and a brilliant balance between bittering and flavor hops. Great hop flavor and aroma, just not as drinkable as the latest batch of Younger. Overall: 4.5+5+4.5+4.5+4.5 = 4.6/5

***2009 July release***

On tap at Hamilton's. My description stays the same, but I'd drop the scores to mirror the 2009 April release

08-19-2008 03:08:26 | More by DefenCorps
tpd975

4.95/5  rDev +11.2%

A HUGE thanks to srandycarter for sending a growler of this gem my way. I rewarded him well for this one, but it was worth EVERY dollar.

A: Pours a nice bright clear golden hue with a big tall rocky head. Tons of carbonation and sheet after sheet of lace holds on for dear life. Beautiful!

S: Nice bold aromas. Tons of sweetness pours from the glass. Georgia peaches clash with dried apricots. Hint of grapefuit is overcome by orange. Touches of grass, mango, and caramel malt round things out. Awesome!

T: Wow... I am in Love. This beer stands alone in greatness. I love my Pliny, I love my Peche, but this one is just as great and unique. What Pliny is to bitter, this is to sweet. The Yang to Pliny's Ying. Tons of fresh apricot and peach nectar blast your senses from the start. Hints of citrus come thru along with some caramel, and a big dose of oak. Sweet melon comes thru in the finish. If any beer deserves a 5 in taste this is it!.

M: Full bodied and creamy. Sexy as Hell!!!

D: I will now hanker for it. This is the beer I will dream of when I go to sleep.

Thanks Randy, This beer fucking ROCKS!!! My new #1 brew. If I were on death row, I would beg the warden for this one.

08-17-2008 22:45:17 | More by tpd975
ncvbc

A big thanks goes to srandycarter for helping me out with a growler of this most excellent brew.

A clear and vibrant golden amber. Steady, solid carbonation and a nice inch thick white head to cap it off. Great retention and leaves layers of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell is heavenly. Very citrusy with a little pine sap. Lightly sugared with a touch of caramel. Has the grassy, green scents that Pure Hoppiness has underneath. Definitely an amped up version and it's looking good so far.

Taste is also amazing. Perfectly balanced by caramel malt and a very light biscuit flavor that comes along in the finish. It almost starts sweet, candy like sugared flavor but only for a second. The hops come on full force and I embrace them with joy. Great citrus and tropical fruits. Grapefruit, orange, hints of pineapple and peach. The fresh green goodness is still along for the ride. Barely ever a hint of alcohol. Also for moments there is an interesting vegetable flavor, reminiscent of hoppy cucumbers. Don't ask.

The mouthfeel is pretty flawless. Not excessively bitter but definitely not thick with malt. Nice oily resinous texture along with great carbonation. Goes down so smooth with a dryness that is quite thirst quenching for a DIPA.

I think this may have replaced White Knuckle at the top of my list. I have a soft spot for DIPA's, that's for sure. The drinkability is through the roof. Finished off the growler last night with a little help, though I had to keep most of this gem to myself.

08-15-2008 00:05:01 | More by ncvbc
HopHead84

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a golden color with a frothy 2 finger head. The head retention is excellent and leaves ample lacing as it recedes. The aroma is of grapefruit, pine sap, and oily hops. Delicious citrus flavor. This hop wine has a long, bitter, dry finish. There's a slight hint of alcohol but it's very well masked for the high abv. The beer is very well carbonated. I've had this on cask before but I very much prefer it on tap.

08-11-2008 03:11:26 | More by HopHead84
DrunkenMaster

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at Downtown Johnny Brown. Hazy orange with a medium white head. Smell is of melon, mango, pine, grapefruit and some sweetness. The flavor is very dry with some orange peel. The mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy. I've never tasted a IIPA like this one, it is very drinkable for at almost 11%.

07-01-2008 18:57:52 | More by DrunkenMaster
d0ggnate

4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

I will seize this oppourtunitiy to review the impressive and ever elusive Exponential Hoppiness. Made popular by the success of Pure Hoppiness, Exponential is BAMF in comparison.

A: Dark golden/amber pour shows off its effervescence when held to light. A dense, tighly laced head last but 2-3 minutes after first pour.
S: Immense citrus fills my nose. A piney/oily hop presence is also noticed. The fruitiness continues with appearances of grapefruit, mango, banana and other smells that remind me of something tropical.
T: The hop flavors meld the sweet smell into something more palateable and bitter. The woodsy/piney character transfers from nose to mouth, but no more tropical paradise. The taste of alcohol breaks through the hoppiness.
M: Very coating, but not overwhelming. A bit of a suprise for how big this beer is. Slick and flowing. Holds its carbonation for some time.
D: A very big beer that manages to remain enjoyable. This is one that could creep up on you. Definately not one to pound with your pals, but rather enjoy with beer geeks alike. Refined taste and great hop character.

05-06-2008 04:24:26 | More by d0ggnate
Floydster

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

Growler generously shared by an unidentified man in a black hat before the Port anniversary party, had two different times yesterday and this stuff blew me away, Alpine really needs to bottle this

A-Color was a cloudy orange with golden yellow highlights, one inch foamy white head, fantastic retention, foam did not budge for a good amount of time, great lacing as well

S-This stuff was extremely danky, resin smell was very strong, piney hoppiness, lemon juice, this honestly smelled like a plant after being swirled a little bit, barely could smell any malt but it was a little sweet with vanilla tones

T-Started off with a huge floral hop presence that was quickly overshadowed by intense pine flavors, very little malt shortly after, dank hops in the finish that just about knocked my socks off, as it warmed slightly there was even more of the hop profile showing with some grapefuit added now to the big piney taste, aftertaste was extremely dry from the hoppiness, wow this bitter and I definitely was not complaining, perhaps the most hoppy DIPA I have ever experienced, never really got sweet, more herbal and earthy towards the end compared to what it was like at the beginning, hop profile was unforgettable

M-One of the best balanced double IPAs I have ever had, mouthfeel was dry, bitter, sweet, and piney at the same time, refreshing and mouth watering at the same time, left some cotton mouth but that was just because of the extreme hops

D-Could drink a lot of this even though the ABV is very high, light on the stomach, very refreshing, alcohol is hidden amazingly, could even be drank on a hot day, had to be careful with this stuff or I would not have been able to drive, so smooth

Really enjoy Pure Hoppiness but this brew is even better, one of the most balanced DIPAs I have ever had, reminded me a lot of Pliny the Younger but just not as sweet, hope this is brewed more regularly in the future and I might actually make the three hour trek out to Alpine to grab some more, hope to drink again soon, highly recommended

05-04-2008 17:40:09 | More by Floydster
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours dark copper with a slight haze. A fullish rush of fine carbonation swells up a inch-plus head of off-white.
Ripped sheets of clingy foam, and a full coverage skim coat remains throughout.

Pungently hoppy with oak-laden malt undertones.
Grapefruit pith, candied bitter orange peel, pine resin, freshly turned earth, and oak bark. Alcohol is everpresent with each whiff.

Sticky, sappy, chewy mouthfeel. Tongue- coating, and on the thick side of medium.

Bitter spruce sap, citrus oils, leafy hops, and juicy malt lead off the pallet. An oaky dryness steps forward along with warming alcohol. Lingering bitterness, ripe fruit, and forest floor are a mainstay for each sip.
A whallop of grapefruit, pine needles, and oaky malt.

Quite malty for an IIPA, and approaching barleywine territory, but stopping short.
A bit numbing in the nose and pallet, with the onslaught of hops and alcohol.

Similar to Hopsickle, but more malty, and the oaking adds some nice depth, which rounds out the brew as well.

Update 1/21/10..22oz bottle arrived fresh today.

Pungent nose chock full of tangerines, spruce needles, grapefruit and oak shavings. Sweetish and tropical.

Crisp, juicy mouthfeel with a slightly chewy body.

Tangerine, grapefruit, pine bark, and juicy fruit start the palate. A slight numbness approaches but stops short of overly bitter. Sweetish and very tropical with piney undertones.

Finishes with lingering citrus pith, warming alcohol, and a mildly gripping bitterness. A trace of oak is there if you look.

The bottle version is not as oaky or malty as I remember the growler being, and also the aroma is not as pungent and floral.
Still probably one of the best IIPA's I've had in a bottle.

04-25-2008 00:25:43 | More by brewandbbq
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -19.6%

A well carbonated pour from the growler easily produces a three-finger thick, creamy textured, light tan colored crown of froth. The beer is a lightly orange tinged, full amber color that shows a lightly hop-hazed, orange-copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is very sticky with hop notes; candied grapefruit, huge lychee, apricot & other tropical fruit notes are quite noticeable even while pouring this brew. A focused sampling of the aroma gets aromatic notes that lean much more towards the herbal / pine side of the spectrum. Though the beer still smells of sticky, sugar preserved hop buds. The sharper side of the hop produces notes of grass, pine sap, some slight chive notes, a huge hemp oil contribution. It is interesting that this was so intensely fruity smelling as I was pouring it, but that a focused inspection of the aroma is much more dominated by concentrated herbal & essential oil components.

Sweet and thick tasting with a ton of residual malt sugars, these are not by any means overwhelming though as this has a huge hop character that easily offsets the malt; in fact the residual malt sugars are not even overly noticeable because of all the hop character. Sharply bitter, with lots of green, astringent hop notes and a finish that tastes like what I would imagine chewing on a fat, juicy, marijuana bud (though there is lots of malt to keep this from becoming over-bearing). Up front and through to the middle some nice, underlying citrus & tropical fruit flavors are found; these contribute flavors of lychee, candied ruby-red-grapefruit, orange-marmalade and peach concentrate. This is clearly dominated by the greener hop flavors; in addition to the piquantly expressive hemp-oil flavor there are notes of chives, mentholated pine, lots of herbal turpenes (rosemary, garlic chive and a touch of sage oil). Thick and chewy, this is approaching a Barleywine in heft, it just retains enough lightness to retain the IPA allusions though. The plethora of hop character also keeps this from every getting sticky or cloying. The malt character is clearly a supporting character, really not noticeable on its own, but it plays a significant role in carrying the hop character.

My second pour of this beer reminds me how very well carbonated this beer is; visually it is quite apparent, but the beer is thick enough that it is not as noticeable in the flavor as one might think, though it does add a certain prickle / lightness to the beer as it flows across the tongue. This beer doesn't seem to take to warming as much as some, the combination of hops and alcohol gets a bit harsh after a bit.

Big, powerful, overbearing, an exercise in self inflicted tongue flagellation, but is it good. It most certainly is, but it is a bit too astringent & hemp-oil dominated for me. There are times when I can enjoy a scathing, tongue scraping, astringently hoppy beer, but most times I like something a bit more drinkable. Definitely a beer for the enthusiastic hop head. I am not sure if I am getting more discriminating or if I am just getting burned out on over-the-top beers, but this is not nearly as enjoyable as I expected. I really do enjoy excessive amounts of hops in a beer, but it has to have a drinkability and finesse that this beer just doesn't quite have. Still this is a good beer, though it is one I really only want a 12 oz serving of (luckily I could share my growler, because there was no way I would finish it on my own).

04-22-2008 04:49:25 | More by Gueuzedude
t0rin0

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

This is now a contender for best DIPA I've ever had. It was in a growler.

Pours a light orange (closer to yellow) color that is nice and clear. Decent amount of foam, not much retention. Decent lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy. Tons of citrus (orange, lemon) and some pine. Surprising amount of malt smell coming through all those hops. Not sure when this was brewed but theres a good chance that some of the aroma is starting to fade.

The taste is beautifully balanced between malt sweetness (not too much) and loads of hop goodness. There is fairly high bitterness level but because of the sugar content its tough to say just how much, 100+ most likely. A little alcohol is noticeable once the beer warms but when its cool its just an amazing beer.

The body is a bit thin but the high CO2 level makes up for that. Very drinkable beer and I would love to have more of this.

04-21-2008 00:39:18 | More by t0rin0
francisweizen

Alaska

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

Medium brooding gold with a night tight eggshell whtie head of foam that is modest in size, stature, and retention. Aromas of freh piney citrusy hops with tons of oil, resin, a bit of maryjane and grapefruit pulp as well as slight pomegranate seed. Taste is hoppy up front with a light biscuity maltness, sweet in the middle with a tropical hop thing going on. The bready malt ties this one together in the middle and the finish which is the sticky icky slightly drying than refreshing it begs to make you take another step. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oh-so-smooth. Drinkability is great! This stuff is phenomenal I can't wait to drink some fresh from the tap (Hopefully) the next time that I am in SoCal in early June. To me this isn't quite as good as Pliny, but it is damn near close. Great job Alpine!

04-09-2008 17:21:01 | More by francisweizen
BattleRoadBrewer

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Served from a 64 oz growler at about 36F into a standard 16 oz pint.

Aroma at the growler top had loads of hops, so big it was like sniffing a bag of hop cones.

Pours with medium thick body and a nice heavy off white head about 1" high.

Color is medium amber, leaning towards golden, essentially no haze.

Nose in the glass has a lovely variety, hoppy, citrusy, sweet and a hint of diacetyl.

Taste is a bit unbalanced in favor of the hops. Maybe a hint of diacetyl, and finish is a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderate thickness for the style, slick, and alcohol warmth is evident, but no fusels.

As it warms in the glass, it perfectly maintains its balance.

Overall quite a drinkable beer, with a high ABV that doesn't dominate the character.

03-06-2008 12:00:15 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
barleywinefiend

Washington

Poured a gold color with the head modest in size. Massive hop floral spiciness hits your sense first, followed by a sweet malt backing, citrus crisp and fresh, quite clean with the start nicely malted, slightly sweet and the top middling in its feel to the palate. The finish has a fair to middling acidity with as one would expect a "Big" hop bite that lingers on the palate, dry and quite a nice representative to the style, another of the beers I sampled at least three times to get a handle on its flavors.

02-22-2008 02:04:14 | More by barleywinefiend