Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,459
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.
4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber bottle poured into Victory snifter. No bottle dates on this, or any Alpine really. But I believe this one was from the February/March batch (traders notes).

A: Mildly hazy orangey yellow. Finger and a half fluffy white head. Good carbonation. Sticky bubbles.

S: Piney floral hop aromas, but also some malts. Some grapefruit and overripe peach on the nose. I was expecting an unfresh smell, but totally not the case. This one has held up to the time!

T: This is really truely awesome beer. It's very hoppy, but by no means a bitter plate killer. It has some hop astringency on the tip of tongue, it mellows in the center, and a little alcohol burn in the throat but nothing terrible. I was expecting to be blown away with alcohol at 11%, but it's perfect.

M: Full bodied IPA. Chewy style IPA.

O: This is just an awesome beer. Another winner from the guys over at Alpine. I have loved all the IPAs out of there, and just want more. Great stuff.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle (thanks sleepyhead) poured into a tulip. Amber color with a rich, frothy white head.

Aroma: That good old Alpine grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and let's say papaya...

Taste leads with a real earthy mango - this is different. I was expecting grapefruit based on the aroma but this is a much richer, more fecund fruit essence. We're in real equatorial, heart-of-darkness territory here. Truly unique.

Yet the balance is incredible for an 11% ABV beer - I can barely detect any alcohol. I only know it must be strong because of how intense the flavors are.

There's a good hoppy bitterness throughout but almost zero carbonation rising from the bottom. Well done again, Alpine! You have yet to disappoint!

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip - generously sent by davemont - thanks David! My first from Alpine, which is quickly gaining legendary status in Portland which is saying something.

Pours a hazy orange-yellow with fine lacing with a light tan/white head. Fairly opaque, similar to some other world class IIPAs.

The nose is hoppy and sweet. Makes my mouth water, you can tell it has some malt behind the hops. Not really any hint of the oak that I detect.

Bready sweet hops are the three dominant flavors. Starts off with a burst of citrus and hops, followed by a bite of alcohol and spicy bread. The oak comes out in the finish which is mostly sweet.

Unlike some IIPA's which are straightforward dry hop bombs, this one has a lot of somewhat extreme flavors that blend nicely and finish smooth. I prefer dry beers in general but the sweet malty backbone compliments the hops well and I like it. It is a heavier beer to me with the sweetness.

Overall you can tell that the positive buzz around Alpine is well-deserved. I am looking forward to trying more of their beer. The ExpoHop is an excellent IIPA and well worth seeking out.

3.65/5  rDev -17.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer is an orange/amber color with about 2 fingers worth of thick, pillowy eggshell colored head. Great lacing on the glass as well.

S.

An absolute hop bomb on the nose. The aromas I am getting are onions, weed, grapefruit, very sweet malts, alcohol and perhaps a touch of pineapple. This reminds a lot of Devil Dancer with the exception of subtle fruitiness I pick up in this one. I wasn't really a fan of this years DD and this one is slightly better, but still a little too over the top for me with the plant dominance. I'm not getting the citrus dominance that many are describing in previous reviews. If judging this based on how strong the aroma is, it's a definitely A+.

T.

A little less enjoyable than the nose. Big time bitterness and a fairly big sweetness to this one. The bitterness is right up front, then the tastes of onions (not really pleasant), plants and citrus rinds that meld with a very big sweetness that could be described as sticky/sweet plant nectar. A few aspects of the taste I like but again, the onion/plant notes are a little too dominant for me to enjoy finishing off a whole bomber.

M.

Medium bodied with great carbonation. Fairly sticky/syrupy as it cloys to your lips and mouth however the high ABV give the tongue a slightly drying finish.

O.

Definitely a powerful DIPA...along with Devil Dancer, probably the strongest DIPA I've had going by taste and aroma. I prefer the more citrus or dank-forward DIPAs but the plants and onion is a little too much for my palate personally. It is in fact a nice looking beer and I like how powerful the flavor and aromas are, I just don't enjoy these "specific" flavors and aromas.

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally had this by growler, thank you Gregshead.
I have reviewed thi bottler by bottle, so my growelr review will compare differences.
growler has the same color, just more of a sweetness to it, the orange is more prevalent than with the bottle. The appearance, the same. My bigges difference is the aroma, and the citrus is more present.

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

received in an Alpine gift box from Gregshead

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Bright orange with a little haziness. Finger worth amount of clean white head. Plenty of carbonation

S: I could smell the grapefruit as soon as I opened the bottle. Tons of citrussy goodness, little bit of pine, slight floral quality intrigues me.

T: Plenty of malt flavors to balance the extreme hops. Slightly sweet beginning, nutty characteristic mid palate, finishes with tons of grapefruit, orange, lemon, and plenty of pine.

M: Plenty of body that coats the mouth well. Refreshing hop finish that lingers for awhile.

O: Wow, extremely balanced for a triple IPA. Can hardly detect the 11% abv, making this dangerously delicious. Definitely delivers the “strong, incredibly hoppy, yet truly enjoyable beer” from the label. I wish Alpine was available to me in Ohio.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Very clear orange with a couple fingers of fizzy white head.

S: Enormous amount of floral hops with some sweetness mixed in.

T: Green tea , floral hops and pine resin. Flavors mesh extremely well.

As the label suggests this beer drinks deceptively easy for 11% ABV. Adds another dimension to the usual hop bomb. You must seek this beer out!

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

Finally getting to try this. Purchased from Stearns Liquor in Long Beach. Poured into my New Belgium tulip. Upon opening the bottle, your nose is immediately hit with piney, grassy hop aromas. The pour is nice and golden. Thin head quickly dissipates

And the taste? Very nice! Quite creamy. The mouthfeel is excellent. Considering this is a "triple" IPA, it doesn't taste like a hopbomb. It's quite well balanced. There is some booziness which would be expected since it is 11%. Aftertaste is nice and subtle.

Overall, this is outstanding. I'm so stoked I'm finally getting to try it. If you have a chance, drink it. It's right up there with the best.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

Big thanks to Sixofsigmas to getting me this bottle.

Poured into a tulip, with a small white head (I suppose not surprising for 11%). Color is brilliant orange, just what I like to see.

Smell is intense, as soon as I opened the bottle it hit me. Grapefruit, citrus, and some definite hop-funk are in there. Taking a deep whiff I'm vaguely reminded of Parmesan cheese.

Taste is interesting. It's very dry, which I like, but the funk dominates over the piney/citrusy hop flavors. It's different, but as I drink it mellows. I was really expecting more of the pine/citrus, and it's disappointing in that regard. If there's any hint of the ABV it's on the very, very end, and even then it's mild. Amazing job hiding it, I'd never guess this is 11.

Mouthfeel is what you'd expect from Alpine, pretty thick with just-right carbonation.

Overall this is a very good beer, but it's pretty different from most other IPAs I've had. I'm wonder if there's some bottle-to-bottle variation, I have another and will edit this review if it's a lot different.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Had it at the brewpub 1 day after the launch. This beer is exceptional. A yellowish-orange colour. There's a punch-in-the-face, hoppy flavour. Tastes of Amarillo, Cascade, and perhaps even some Citra hops. Packed with a huge amount of tropical fruits. Lots of mango and grapefruit. This beer just grows on you after every sip. The mouthfeel is excellent, and the carbonation is not overwhelming. You'd never expect this beer to be anything near 11%. Brings strong floral and citrus notes at the nose. Compared to the previous batch, this really stepped up a notch on the fruit. It's a shame to slowly see this beer go. Get some asap.

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on-tap at the brewery. Review from notes.

A: A mostly clear honey-gold with an eggshell white head and dripping lacing.

S: Floral sweetness upfront with various spices, lime salt, lavender, honey-- tons of complexity.

T: Everything in the nose with bready malts and a hint of wasabi. The very layered and complex mix of floralness/spicyness of this was the huge player in the flavor experience with sweetness in the background.

M: A little beyond medium bodied with a somewhat thickish, syrupy feel on the middle of the tongue with a little heat burn in the nose and around the mouth.

O: This beer has a lot going for it, especially in terms of complexity. The flavor profile, surprisingly, reminded me of Just Outstanding IPA quite a bit, which might just be my faulty memory of just outstanding. Maybe I set myself up by loving Alpine's other IPAs so much and hyping this one to myself before trying it, but I must admit it was a little underwhelming. Certainly typical hop character wasn't the center of this drink and I wouldn't describe it as exceptionally refreshing or sesionable, which I always consider a cornerstone of Alpine IPAs. I give this high marks for the interest of the complexity and the handsome flavors, but can't give it the highest marks as I think there are better out there. Think I'll stick to duet and nelson and look elsewhere for my imperial IPAs.

Poured straight from the bottle the night of the release.

Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a very light head.

Smell - Very clean smell. Tons of sweetness, honey, some pineapple and a very pleasant hop smell. I get no sense this beer will have any bitterness. By no means does this beer smell like an 11% beer.

Taste - My nose was very correct. this beer is ran by a sweet honey taste followed by a nice hop character that doesn't give off any hop bitterness. No alcohol present at all in this beer. Very smooth and easy to drink. Way too enjoyable for a 11% brew.

Overall - Pliny the Younger has all the hype, but haven had both I can honestly say I think this one takes the cake as the BEST IMPERIAL IPA.

3.92/5  rDev -11.7%

Went to Alpine today, and what a joy! Expo Hop on tap!

Review from notes.

A: Smelted gold with a core of solar flares. A modest foamy head of about two fingers rises from the glass. Ultra fine ivory bubbles form over the gold bar body. Yellows dominate the outside of the beer, but a battle between yellows and oranges ensues in the body for color dominance. speckled lacing peppers the glass, not too much to mention.

S: The nose is pretty darn crazy! Tamarind and lime salts meld together for a uniquely malt sweet nose. Sugary saltwater taffy that is sticky with sweetness. This is a sticky bomb of sweetness. Sugar crystals form on honey-sickles. Blossomy orange notes keep me from contracting diabetes. Hops were actually faint behind alcohol infused honeys. Really I got a dominating sweetness out of this.

T: Blossoms, Alcohol, and some rather hoppy nectars. The alcohol really rides this pretty heavily. A real honey-mead character that really complicate my flavor description. A lemony alcohol lingers with the specters of some hops. The alcohol slayed a lot of complexity for me here. The alcohol was the dragon-slayer, and the hops the dragon. It was there for a bit, but then the hero prevailed.

M: Silky alcohols and honey mix for an enjoyable introduction to this beer. The alcohol keeps the honey qualities from being too sticky, and perhaps contributes to limiting the hop presence for me in breaking up any hop resins. The bubbles give the beer an almost spicy like mouthfeel. The bubbles vibrate the alcohol a little bit. Eventually the alcohol coats the tongue with a less than sticky honey-marmalade glaze.

O: Really quite good, but the big alcohol character was a bit too much for me. I found it to be a well integrated element, but still rather dominating. Don't get me wrong, I expected this to be a stronger beer. Though the alcohol became quite the flavor inhibitor after a half glass. If you want to numb up to a brew, drink exponential hoppiness. You will be able to do things like go to the dentist after. If you want to be able to get introspective about your palate, then I recommend practicing with a less taxing offering. Honestly my least favorite Alpine IPA. It's not badly made, but it just doesn't compare to any one of the other great IPAs I associate with Alpine.

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours hazy dark yellow with a surprising amount of sediment. Head is a thick dense ring.

Aroma is bready malt, rich light fruit - melon and mango. A touch of yeasty funk and a good bit of alcohol.

Taste is caramel malt up front. Mild light fruit appears as well. Then the intense spicy and resinous hop takes over. finishes with a lingering hop bitterness and alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. thick, resinous hop oil.

Overall a flavorful brew that runs a little alcohol hot. Just the way I like it. Balanced malt and resinous hop. A winner.

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a thick and sticky white head with lots of sediment.

The smell is a nice mixture of big toasty bready malts and light citrusy hop notes.

Very nice complexity in the flavor, big malty bready toasty malts blending with some light lemony hop flavors, not overly bitter but packed with hop flavor, the oak is there in a more minor and subtle way that becomes more apparent as it warms. A bit of sweet finish with a hint of mint.

The mouthfeel has a nice warm and medium body, the oakyness is a little more evident in the mouthfeel.

Very nice, hard to believe this is eleven percent.

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into goblet at the brewery on 7/26. Pours a magnificent amber orange with a finger of creamy white head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing down the glass. On the nose it is not overly hoppy, particularly toned down I'd say. There absolutely is the distinct Alpine pine notes however. A bit of caramel comes out. On the palate it is warming with the 11% abv with a minute alcohol bite. Hops become more pronounce in the taste, pine and citrus. Also, like the nose, caramel brings itself forth. Has a good amount of carbonation which helps the beer become more refreshing. On a hot day, best enjoyed inside with A/C as it will make you warm and fuzzy. Very pleased with the Expo, it was fulfilling to have after waiting all the these months.

Up until recently, I considered myself a balanced beer drinker. I never really craved any particular style of beer all the time. I enjoy them all; some at certain times of the year more than others. But in just the past couple of weeks, since Hopslam was released, I have found myself craving high IBU beers. It was for this reason that I asked my wife to pick up a Triple IPA from Alpine Beer Company, one of my all time favorite breweries, on her most recent trip to Cali (She said the staff there was very helpful to wives desperate to understand their husband's beer order.)

Pour, Color, & Aroma:
Upon pouring the beer, I noticed a glowing yellow from the beer creating a really nice halo effect. Exciting! After examining the beer in the light, as expected, the beer was crystal clear void of any sediment. The head was very crisp white and was slow to recede, leaving a slight lacing along the glass. This aroma is bewitching! I did not want to pull my nose out of my glass. The complexity was one that I was looking forward to trying to identify. Upfront was a radiant orange sweetness, followed by grapefruit zestiness and a luring pine. A subtle sugary sweetness led me into some some of the malts. A buttery biscuit succeeded the sweetness and eventually gave way to slight caramel maltiness. Just after the aroma I was ready to call this brew my favorite Triple IPA.

Taste:
Okay, this is the first beer that I wanted to stop the review and just enjoy what was in my hand. But I knew that wouldn't be fair. Grapefruit was the most dominating characteristic that came through bringing to mind a perfectly ripe piece of the fruit. Not too tangy, not too sweet, but balanced. Some other light tropical fruits made their presence known, most notably a tropical sweetness I attributed to pineapple as well as a smooth heavier sweetness that reminded me of an apricot. A light biscuit and caramel flavors came through for the malts.

Finish & Body:
This beer definitely left residual sweetness as an after taste, very similar to honey. Although I got a hint of a warming sensation as it was going down, I never would have attributed it to the alcohol. Carbonation level is a little on the low side, however I believe it works to the advantage of this style. The mouth feel is on the heavier side due to some of the creamier sweetness.

Final Thoughts:
This is a great beer. I am proud to say that this overtook the top spot on my favorite beer list, edging out Alaskan Double Black IPA by a slight margin. I highly recommend everyone to try this beer. I have not tried an average beer by this brewery, they only make phenomenal beers, and I look forward to trying each and every one! Prost Alpine!

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured clear golden copper color with an average frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with good lacing. Heavy complex citrus hoppy aroma. Medium to full body with slick texture and soft carbonation. Heavy smooth bittersweet citrus flavor with a heavy bittersweet finish of long duration. This is a standout beer.

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Pours a very slight hazed amber orange color pretty bright overall. With a nice white head, head turns into a cap and leaves some really nice layered lacing.

S- A ton of tropical fruits here. Mango, pineapple and grapefruit. A very light malt back bone and a hint of alcohol.

T- Blasted with hops here. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and a bit of pine. The hops smash my taste buds to a pulp.

M- Slick and oily. Fuller side of medium and carbonation was good.

O- A pretty awesome brew for sure.

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a clear amber orange with a touch of white head. Fairly thick for something like this.... coats the glass. Smells citrusy and hoppy. a touch of oak even on the nose. Lots of pine and grapefruit as well. Tastes citrusy and grapefruit heavy. The pineyness is subtle compared to most alpine beers. Fairly thick and sweet syrupy. The citrusy fruits are the main feature here.
Very smooth and drinkable for something so high in ABV. Overally, solid but not as extraordinary as I had hoped!

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into dimpled mug. Pours a transparent copper body with a nice 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and leaves lots of lacing. Smells very Pliny-like in the sense that this brew has lots of pineapple and grapefruit notes but not as much pine sap, lots more malt presence, and lots more floral hop smell. There is an initial hop bitterness that opens up to a nice pale malt that blends flawlessly with some great oak notes from the oak chips used in the recipe. The next wave is all citrus hops and once the fruit flavor subsides a strong hop bitterness finishes this one off. Tip of the cap to Alpine for packing this much hop bitterness into a brew and keeping it from tasting astringent. The bitterness is well crafted and really enjoyable. Alpine does add a heavy dose of sugar sweetness to the brew to counterbalance the extreme bitterness and mask the high abv which was impressive. Medium bodied and a touch chewy. Decent amount of carbonation and smooth! This is so much better than the Pure Hoppiness brew. Two thumbs up!

4.17/5  rDev -6.1%

Enjoyed on 3/16. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden amber with almost no head and limited lacing. The lacing that is there manages to be very sticky and it's propelled by a decent bit of carbonation.

Aroma is orangey with a distinct hop burn. It's an acidic, bitter scent that blends well with the fruitiness, sort of resembling the tartness of a grapefruit.

Taste has a big fruityness with a buttery, caramel wave in the conclusion. Bite in the finale is strong and dry, reminding me of the bitterness in licorice strings. The sugary sweet notes play well with a punishing bite, making for a tasty and complicated DIPA.

It's surprisingly smooth for all the big hop character and the dry bite doesn't stop the refreshing flow. The malt and hops resonate on the tongue, making the relatively salty conclusion mellow in comparison.

Overall, this is a tasty and drinkable strong IPA that by no means reflects its massive 10% ABV. Worth seeking out for those outside of the California area (like me).

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to GR1313 for the bottle.

Poured into a Pint glass.

A- Bright orange, slight haze. Yellowish colored head, with medium sized bubbles. Head fades to half, but then lingers.

S- Pine, then some Citrus.

T- Citrusy - Lemons, then some pine hits you.

D- Nice carbonation, creamy and smooth.

O- Good IIPA, but it is getting on the older side. I still enjoyed it, but I can only imagine how great it is fresh.

EDIT on 8.5.11
New Bottle from the latest batch.
A - Same.
S - Super pine and grass.
T - Grass and pine dominate, followed by citrus.
D - Good Carboonation, very creamy.
O - A total delight. I love this beer!

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, dark orange-gold color with under one finger of diminishing white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass. A lone stream of eager bubbles rise from the contoured side of the glass. A wisp of drifting yeast is seen low in the column.

S: Caramelly treacle and fermented grain make the smell rich with sweetness and heady vapors that stop well short of being boozy. Tropical fruit in the form of pineapple is faint but present, as is coniferous foliage. Trace amounts of well-cured oak, but no alcohol, is detected in the smell.

T: Begins sweet, with snappy herbaceous spice hop aromatics and candied citrus amidst lively moderate acidity. Fairly intense caramel malt emerges in the middle as spicy hops decline, replaced by the more mellow pineapple tropical fruit from the smell. Oak is also first detected in the middle, although it comes on quite strong in the brisk, drying finish. Bitterness seems restrained at first, but repeated visits reinforce it until the lingering presence is quite significant and faintly medicinal. Intense flavors throughout mask the gentle alcohol presence, although it is frequently hinted at.

M: Medium viscosity; syrupy, resinous, and warming on the palate; with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As indicated by the name, this is a huge DIPA that dominates the palate but also entertains it mightily. Hops and malt, bright and sweet, scintillate on the palate, threatening to overwhelm the senses. Every other wood-aged DIPA encountered thus far could stand to learn a thing or two from this beer, which is surprisingly mellow and easy to tolerate despite all of the senses saying that this is as extreme as it gets. While this beer falls in the same sub-family as Port Hop 15 and Firestone Double Jack, it is its well-practiced balance in the face of ballsy intensity that sets it apart. The palate does not tire of this, even if all reasonable judgment says that it should.

4.59/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle courtesy of jodan, thanks Jordan!

Got this along with some other nice West Coast IPAs in a trade earlier this week, but have been to sick to drink. Well, after watching the Pens collapse tonight I decided to anyway.

A - Pours a straw color with 2-fingers of rocky foam. This beer is one of the lightest IPAs I've seen, almost bordering on saison hues. Interestingly enough, it's opaque through the sides of the glass, but looking straight down it's crystal clear. Retention is pretty decent, but the lacing is a bit of a let down; just a few strands on the back of the glass.

S - The smell on this really threw me askew when I first inhaled. It's certainly big on the fruits and is incredibly refreshing. Think pool-side bar near the ocean in summer: Huge tropical fruits and citrus, ripe and juicy to the point of oozing. A nice change of pace is that while the typical grapefruit is here, I'm getting boatloads more orange and pineapple, and just the slightest hint of alcohol to draw similarities to an ice-cold Screwdriver. This would be the perfect summer beer despite it's high ABV. The dry-hopping works wonders in this beer.

T - Compared to the nose, the taste is more balanced, for better and for worse. I would've loved to see the uninhibited tropical explosion continue in the flavor, but the malts come through strongly to support them. Here I'm getting more of the typical hop flavors in bitter grapefruit, tangerine, slight pine, and a strong malt backbone. It has a dryness that accentuates the bitterness. The alcohol is present but not as strong as the 11% would suggest. Overall pretty sweet and juicy.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with carbonation a bit on the low side. Definitely more full-bodied than other big IPAs I've had and it lingers for ages in the mouth. I wouldn't call it syrupy, but the last few drops take their time leaving the tongue.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. I would love to try this extremely fresh to see how much more similar the taste would be to the nose, but as it stands now this is still an excellent IPA. Hides its alcohol well and is pushing the limits of how much fruit can be expressed in the nose. I will be seeking this in the future!

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company