Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,379
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »
Philby11111

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this at the brewery on 2/4/06 during my recent trip to CA and brought a growler home to the east coast. Strong hop character in the nose and taste. Very citrusy, hop aroma with enough malt to balance. Alcohol content at least 9+ but was not overwhelming. Drinkable, but recommended for hopheads.

02-10-2006 05:27:14 | More by Philby11111
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Grabbed a couple pints at Obrien's.

Nice deep copper color with bright yellow highlights. Quite a nice foamy head, the keg had just been tapped. Nice carbonation.

Very nice malt flavor, followed by hops, hops, and more hops! Very citrusy and bitter. Captured the flavor of the hops at every stage.

This one was really very good. One of the hoppiest beers I've ever tasted but still very balanced and very drinkable. It's pretty dangerous considering the ABV.

Cheers!

11-01-2005 18:23:38 | More by SteveO1231
egajdzis

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured a hazy, deep copper color with a small, thin, off white head that left a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aromas of orange, tangerine, apricots, floral and grassy hops, really nice. Well balanced taste, loads of piney and citrusy hops, nice bitterness, sweet chewy malts. Damn, I really liked this, thanks cquiroga!!

09-20-2005 14:50:49 | More by egajdzis
bultrey

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this on tap at O'Brien's on one of my San Diego swings. This is a real winner, and a hop head's wet dream, although contrary to other reviews, I did not think this was as hoppy as its sister, Pure Hopiness. Or maybe it's just a different kind of hoppiness. No matter, it's equally as good.
It's pretty heavy on the herbal hops flavors, with that distinct hemp aroma, very grassy, but I didn't detect much of a citrus-pine hop profile in the nose (a bit of orange perhaps). But make no mistake, this is all about the hops. There is a freshly pulped pine tree in the flavor, as well as some bitter orange and grapefruit rind. The malt is barely perceptible, and there is an interesting dryness to the beer that reminds me of fresh-cut hay.
I could drink this all day (except I'd then be on the floor), and I am not a raging hop head...

07-05-2005 19:13:18 | More by bultrey
Dmann

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

A great beer that I had on tap at O'Briens this weekend. The beer was a medium goldish color with a nice head that laced down the glass quite well. The smell was great for a hophead like me. Smelt of fresh hops and not much else, very piney. The taste followed suit with a very full bodied hop flavor that was not too dry but more woody and pine like. Add to the mix a very nice mouthfeel and no hint of the high abv and you have yourself one dangerous beer! Consume with caution!

02-22-2005 09:30:45 | More by Dmann
oggg

6/17/04
Sampled fresh on tap at O'Briens in San Diego in a pint glass.

After having their Pure Hoppiness, I had to get exponential. How do they make some much hop bitterness so tasty?

This beer pours a tannish orange color. The pint didn't leave much room for the head.

The aroma is not as strong as I expected given the hype. Strong grassiness.

Somehow they infuse this beer with tremendous hop flavor and a bitterness that is deep but not harsh. It turns your tongue with multiple flavors -- starts grapefruity but changes beautifully to something I can't place -- but then it lets go. A surge of malt comes about 5 seconds into the gulp. It cleans up the bitterness and you're instantly ready for the next gulp. Smooth. I hear they use oak but I was not overwhelmed by any vanilla flavors.

This beer is dense. It took me a lifetime to finish the pint while my buddies lapped me. Full bodied. Alcohol masked a bit too well.

Halfway through my point, my tastebuds began to fatigue. I think the Pure Hoppiness was more in my hop-stamina range. Excellent brew though

10/9/04
I think I remember the brewmaster Pat talking about fussing with the amount of oak for his next batch. In any case, I had this at the Liars Club. Seemed to be much paler this time. A nice copper color. The hop aroma was good but not as good as for the Pure Hoppiness. The hop flavor and bitterness are toned down, but still more intense than the PH. Still a great beer, but the differences between this and the PH are shrinking.

06-17-2004 06:50:14 | More by oggg
KingSlender

My first taste experience with this beer was at the Strong Ale Fest in Carlsbad and it blew me off my feet. In fact, it was my number one choice out off all the beers at the fest. I was very lucky to get my hands on a growler of Exponential just recently straight from the brewery itself (courtesy of Chappy052). Surprisingly, the batch was very different from what I drank down in Carlsbad. The color and smell remained the same, but the taste was a bit different. At first sip a strong orangy citric tang hits the taste buds, followed by the strong hop bite. You can also taste some oak-like characteristics as though the beer had been aged in oak barrells. I think I still prefer Alpine's Pure Hoppiness, but regardless this is one heck of a great double IPA and at 11% you better watch out!!

The king recommends drinking this beer with a hot polish sausage with red and yellow peppers.

01-27-2004 20:33:01 | More by KingSlender
ChappyCubsFan

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

I sampled this at the Pizza Port Strong Ale Festival in December 2003, and thought it was excellent. But the sampling I had at the brewery in Alpine, some 20 miles east of San Diego, seemed to be a different tasting ale altogther. It was creamy and tasted more like a barleywine than a double IPA. It is 11% alcohol. The hops were noticable, but not that overpowering. It had a definite oak taste to it, which made the aftertaste at times feel like the finish to a very smooth whisky. It was the most unusual taste for a double IPA I have ever sampled. I love the Pure Hoppiness, but this one was too hard drink. I'm curious why the keg at the Strong Ale Festival would taste so different from the keg up in Alpine at the brewery. Very strange. But since then I've sampled it twice at the brewery and once at a beer festival. It was great each time.

01-27-2004 03:26:49 | More by ChappyCubsFan
beerguy101

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

Deep gold color. Large creamy head. Aroma is hoppy and fruity. A medium bodied double IPA. Malts are nutty and sweet. Hops are piney, grapefruity and oaky. Very nicely balanced. Very smooth. It’s very hoppy, but not nearly as over the top as pure hoppiness. Very smooth. With no alcohol evident at all. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

01-01-2004 21:01:35 | More by beerguy101
Gusler

Arizona

Sampled @ Strong Ale Fest San Diego

The beer pours a transpicuous gold color with the head modest in size, frothy in texture and a bright white color with the lace forming a white curtain to obscure the glass. Massive hop floral spiciness hits your sense first, followed by a sweet malt backing, citrus crisp and fresh, quite clean with the start nicely malted, slightly sweet and the top middling in its feel to the palate. The finish has a fair to middling acidity with as one would expect a “Big” hop bite that lingers on the palate, dry and quite a nice representative to the style, another of the beers I sampled at least three times to get a handle on its flavors.

12-10-2003 14:13:32 | More by Gusler
TheLongBeachBum

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

Presentation: Sampled at the 7th Annual San Diego Strong Ale Festival which was hosted at the Pizza Port in Carlsbad this weekend. Listed as 10.4% ABV on the Beer List that was handed out.

Appearance: A nice white head formed and settled in the special Half Pint Glass, though I only a 4oz sample, the pour was generous. Once the head relaxed, a clear golden body with a few visible specks revealed itself. Beautiful looks – it had a classic IPA look appearance.

Nose: Well this was the first beer for me on Friday’s session. To say that it cleared my nostrils is an understatement. Incredible amounts of hops leap out of the beer. Oily and resinous, yet it also had a distinct fresh raw hop character.

Taste: More Hops, so many bloody hops. Fantastic bitterness, fresh raw green hops fill the mouth. Some hop oiliness rises in the middle, and a strong bitter finish just seems to go on forever and never ends. The taste lingers for a very long time – I am sure my tongue was green after drinking this. Mo malt at all – it there but just never comes through at all. This beer is all about the Hops.

Mouthfeel: A solid beer with a definite feel in the mouth. Oily middle at times when swirled in the mouth. Very astringent finish with an extremely strong bitterness on the cheeks. Hops remain on the tongue for a long time – many hours in fact!

Drinkability: Others that have tried the Exponential Hoppiness previously mentioned that the Keg at the Pizza Port Strong Ale Festival exhibited a smoother feel and lacked the “raw hop” of previous versions that made it a little unbalanced. This may be why I found this to be a very drinkable offering, even given its high hop content and strength. So whilst this beer is all about the Hops, it is still smooth enough to be easily imbibed. Maybe some slight improvements raised the strength a little also to the 10.4% advertised – is this really double figures? Damn it drinks way too easily.

Overall: I visited the Alpine Brewing Company earlier this year, thanks to my good friend xlperro, but after never having tried this elusive offering from them - it was great to finally get the chance to try the beer that xlperro and EyeChartBrew have raved about for so long. One of the best offerings at this weekends Strong Ale Festival, and even though I wanted to try as many new beers as possible - I still managed a couple of these.

12-08-2003 00:56:22 | More by TheLongBeachBum