Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,408
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003)
4.13/5  rDev -7%

A- Lovely, deep ochre.

S- Strong malt aroma, fusel notes, with caramel and pine.

T- Sweet, malty backbone carries alcohol and hops nicely. A bit surprising, I was expecting far more hop forwardness and bitterness.

M- Creamy and thick without being heavy.

D- For the style and ABV, exceptional.

smulkowski, Mar 19, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Another west coast IPA from JesseTheHutt.

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter glass.

The Exponential Hoppiness pours an amberr color with a very nice looking frothy head and lots of lacing on the snifter. Not sure how old this bottle is, but color seems different than what others see. Aromes are dominated with hops. The hop backbone adds a lot of pines but there are some caramel and citrus undertones. But the nose is very much dominated with hops. Quaff is again dominated with hops. Other tastes that come through are malts, biscuits, and pines. Not much citrus is noted on the palate. Mouthfeel is fairly thick bodied for a DIPA. Drinkability is solid. Another great IPA from Alpine.

abrand, Mar 15, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden orange color with a white head.

S: Lots of citrusy hop aroma with a light malt background.

T: A very well balanced DIPA. The malt base is slightly sweet with caramel and honey notes. The hops are a bit unusual in taste, I can't put my finger on what they are. The hops are absolutely prominent but not overwhelmingly bitter.

M: A tad on the thick side, a bit viscous. Average carbonation.

D: A very drinkable DIPA. The 11% is well hidden but gets you in the end!

willjschmidt, Mar 15, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Mad Elf glass. No freshness or bottled on date.

A-Pours a surprisingly deep amber color with a a nice white head. More than I expected for a brew of this strength. As head recedes, it sticks to the sides, leaving a nice lacing.

S-Lots of floral and citrus characteristics from the pungent hops, but not as over the top as I expected. I have to ding it a little here.

T-Citrus and grassy up front with a nice malt sweetness and breadiness developing in the middle. Hops come in soon after to lead to a delightful fading bitterness. Bitterness is certainly not overwhelming by any means, but you definitely know it is a IIPA. Alcohol is very well masked.

M-Viscous mouthfeel as one would expect for a brew of this strength. Perhaps a little too much carbonation is my only complaint.

D-My God, this has to be the most drinkable 11% beer I've ever had. No problem finishing the bomber by myself. I've had normal strength IPAs that were less drinkable. The alcohol is hidden extremely well; no hint of burn or hotness. I could see it becoming cloying after 1 bomber, but then consuming this fine brew in such quantities would be an utter waste of a fine product.

If I lived in Cali, this would probably be my go to IIPA.

javincik, Mar 14, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - Poured 3 days later from the growler fill at the source. Appears clear and filtered, a light golden-orange color. Poured a 3 finger foamy head. Lingered until half way through. Ring around the glass lingered the rest of the way through.

Aroma - Very unique. I get tropical fruits and citrus. Pineapple, apricot, peach.

Taste - Like biting into a hybrid megafruit. Mango, papaya, pineapple. Gently followed by a bittering agent and perfect carbonation, maybe a bit of alcohol. Nice balance. Not a hop tea, some malty taste too.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light body. After the bitter, resinous tongue twisting, leaves me with a silky smooth feel.

This gets much better after it looses the chill and airs out a bit. Don't drink it too fast. At 11% it creeps up on ya. Drink Alpine or go to Bed.

cjever19, Mar 14, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Most recent bottling, thanks to Jason for the trade...
Shared this and reviewed from notes.

Appears to be a murky red in the glass, glowing orange in the light. Spotty islands of foam dot the surface, with plenty of that sticky icky coating the glass and the lips.

Luscious and tropical, peach and mango burst out of the glass. Utterly awesome. Kept sticking my nose in the glass the whole time!

Resiny and herbal, savory, almost like a fruit nectar with low to medium carbonation. Smooth and luscious. Tropical fruits, cantaloupe, melon, a touch sweet with a building bitterness in the vaguely dry aftertaste. Leafy and woody as it sits in the glass. Caramel toffee malt sweetness is there too, underscoring the tropical hop onslaught. It's deceptively mild for 10.5%, with barely perceptible alcohol that comes out as it warms. Pretty amazing!

emerge077, Mar 13, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +2%

Pours into my glass a deep amber orange with a healthy, creamy inch of off white head on top. Aroma is huge with a wall of hops...pine resins, citrus and dank herbal notes. Somewhat fruity and tropical along with a caramel/biscuit backbone. A touch of oak. Quite intense and vibrant.

First sip brings a wall of wonderful hops. Huge pine resins alongside citrus and fruity tropical flavors. Dank herbaceous notes with a solid caramel/biscuit malt profile. Flows down with a hardy bitterness and a touch of oak. Alcohol creeps in slightly but overall it's kept in check. Sweetness is well balanced. Exponential Hoppiness is an appropriate name! Yum.

Mouthfeel is super smooth and even a bit creamy. Spot on carbonation, this is incredibly drinkable for the strength and the ABV is non-existent. Overall, just a great super hoppy brew. Glad I was able to get a bottle.

orbitalr0x, Mar 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Purchased from South Bay Drugs, thanks Joey.
Beautiful orange pour into a Sierra Nevada Pint Glass.
A smallish white head which leaves plenty of lacing.
A citrus perfume of scents mixed with some hops.
Delightfully bitter hoppy flavor which is melded with some nice sweet malt, but in the finish, the hops win out again. A bit more balanced than I expected given the description, but I'm really liking the way this tastes.
Nice amount of carbonation in the mouthfeel, not overly syrupy, and very little alcohol burn.
Not sure any beer with 10.5% ABV could get high marks for drinkability, but given the strength, the alcohol is very well masked. All I know is, I'm having a great time drinking this one.
I really like this beer. I was prepared for an impossibly over-the-top hoppy concoction, but this is very tasty and enjoyable beer. I will definitely be looking for this bad boy again.

kwakwhore, Mar 13, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

This is my second time drinking this beer. The first time I had it from a growler. This time I am drinking straight from the bottle, haha, just kidding, I poured into a Riedel wine glass.

A: The color is honey orange. Conservatively carbonated with a restrained 1 finger head.

S: I poured this bottle right out of the fridge and the smell suffered at first. Luckily, I wasnt in a hurry and I nursed this bomber for about 2 hours. The smell that came from my glass after the beer had a chance to warm was intensely citrusy. I think that I also picked up on a hint of harshness, maybe a chemical odor, but I really had to close my eyes and "look" for it. Very little malt is discernible once the beer has warmed up. This is one of the more beautifully odiferous beers that I have had. Very typical of Alpine Beer Co.

T: Bitter, orangy, hoppy, malty, alcoholic. Tastes as if you were to eat a bit of orange rind that was drenched in orange oils. Very intense flavor. The hop character is a bit harsh but at the same time so juicy. The hop bitterness lingers nicely. My tongue cannot distinguish the oak chips that were put in with the final hop addition for this beer but I suppose that it might only be noticeable if it was left out.

M: Smooth, creamy carbonation, thinner than expected, not syrupy at all.

D: This is not a session beer by any means but it is decidedly drinkable. The alcohol is present but hidden well. The limiting factors of this beer's drinkability is its alcohol content and slight hop harshness.

mattwjones, Mar 11, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +4.3%

served from a bomber into a duvel tulip.

appearance: soft amber with golden hues. finger and a half head, some lacing, but fades quickly.

smell: pineapple and orange scents from the hops. quite enjoyable hop aroma. semi-burnt caramel malt

taste: whatever you just smelled, is what you taste. slight hop bitterness all the way through with the citrus hop taste up front. caramel malt follows closely behind. you can definitely taste a slight burntness in the malt. not as much ending hop bitterness as I would expect.

mouthfeel: medium full mouthfeel, oily and pleasant.

drinkability: at 11% you arent having too many of these, but the alcohol is not present in the taste or smell.

lcollis4, Mar 09, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a deep orange color, very clear, in that it is not hazy, but there is at first a fair amount of suspended hop particles that eventually settle at the bottom of my pint glass. After topping off said glass from the 22 oz bomber, a foamy bright white head.

Not quite as strong as other DIPA's out there, but mainly get grapefruit and a slight hint of vanilla and alcohol.

Well balanced between sweet caramel malty flavor, citrus/piney hop flavor, that initial bitterness, and an oaky smooth finish. But upon drinking this one for a bit, and knowing that I'm doing "research" for my upcoming IPA homebrew, I don't think I would use the oak chips I have on it. I'm not thrilled by the flavor of oak in an IPA; I know it is authentic, but I'd say it could show off the hop flavor and aroma more if it had not been oaked. But over all the flavor lacked that overly sweet, caramely flavor that lesser DIPA's have when they're over 9-10%. (DFH 90 Min, I'm looking in your direction...)

Fairly thin and not viscousy, which I like, and not over or under carbonated, so I can't complain.

Drinks much easier than it's 10.5% may have you think. If not for it's limited availability and its high price, I wouldn't mind opening a second bomber, but that is not the case. Frankly I enjoyed their Duet IPA more and have yet to give Nelson or Pure Hoppiness a try. But one thing is for sure, Alpine likes their hops.

DoesntMatter46, Mar 08, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

Golden pour (refrigerated and fresh after purchase) with fine bubbles and a thin head; slight particulates.

NOSE is probably the most complex part: fresh hop flowers from the last infusion really stand out, intensely aromatic and sweet with hints of jasmine and kumquat. Hop flower most prominent after letting it warm to slightly under RT.

As far as TASTE is concerned (both chilled and room temp; not much difference), I must give a few extra points considering the 11% abv. Characteristic hop/grapefruit/pine and dried apricot evenly distributed after a processed honey-like entrance. Dangerous!

Despite what would seem a syrupy entrance, the MOUTHFEEL is bright, with a characteristic tang/acridity common in higher-proof IPAs. Bristling both during and after each sip, though...not exactly a pleasant note to leave on.

Nice, though I'd take Pliny the Younger over this as far as triple IPA's go...and P.T.Y. isn't even my favorite IPA. Still, a nice one to try if you haven't, yet.

whiskeysoda, Mar 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass, the Expo. pours a moderate golden in color with a thin white head of foam. Shows a bit of haze and moderate retention with a somewhat light carbonation. Rather light in color for a big IPA but not unexpected from the hopheads at Alpine.

Dense hop nose yet offering more balance than most Alpine IPA's. Pine and oak exist side by side with some deep orange/tangelo citrus malt notes. Bit of stinky hop infused grain at times. Rich and encompassing yet masking the alcohol very well. And I think this batch is 11% plus.

Citric malt notes initiate the flavor, tending from orange towards grapefruit in the middle, then some pine resin and a lingering bitter but not dry finish. Finish lingers nicely, revealing just a hint of alcohol as it does so, along with some dry oak. Spritzy carbonation on the finish belies the pour a bit giving a very smooth feel. There is a sweetness to the flavor if you skip a few minutes between sips, otherwise the tongue remains in a conundrum. Alcohol is largely invisible so I assume there is a bit of a balancing act involved in the residuals department, yet still not offering the apparent sweetness of their Bad Boy.

Strong drinkability given the way this beer hides its own strength and also doesn't become cloying. Not in a sweetness sense, but in bitterness one, as some hop monsters can.

HalfFull, Mar 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from the bottle into a Unibroue tulip. Big thanks to TempsPerdu for sharing this one.

A- Pours a deep golden to orange with 2 finger creamy white head leaving absurdly thick lacing.

S- Fruity hop profile with a substantial piney-ness. Very fresh hop smell dominated by a big fruitiness. Very bready and biscuity malt bill.

T- Hops are nowhere near what the aroma would have you believe. Much more malt-forward than I would like. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great IPA, but really falls short of what the nose led me to expect.

MF- Sticky, but pretty thin for a beer like this. The malts are even a little cloying.

D- Very drinkable, but not my favorite of the big boys. I would prefer Pure Hoppiness or Nelson over this any day, but solid IPA from Alpine.

mbudner, Mar 06, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -7%

22 oz. bottle.

A: A very thin white head formed ... tiny bubbles. A nice clear crispy copper color .

S: Hops, hops and hops. Just from the smell I can tell it is going to be oily and resinous, faint tropical fruit smell.

T: Mmmm. Fantastic fresh raw hops fill the mouth. slight sweetness in the middle with a bitter ending. The taste lingers - I am sure my tongue was green after drinking this.

M: Slick and Oily, very astringent finish.

D: This is a shit storm waiting to happen...despite the all the hops this beer has a nice drinablity to it. It will hurt you in the end.

Overall, a must try and I totally recommend it.

MASPuros, Mar 02, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Let me start by saying I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for 2 years and awesome to note that this beer I was told is the newest batch but I can't find a bottle on date (Should be within 10 days old)...HUGE thanks to 1st time trader GThornton (Mr. George)

APPEARANCE - A golden orange and suprisingly very clear for a TIPA....Impresssive to say the least for a Hop Monster this Big. The 1 inch head diminishes rather quickly and you can tell this is going to be a sticky / resiney bad ass of a Muthaphucka.

SMELL - Hop Wine...Citris and a tiny tiny bit of Oak - alcohol burn in the nose detectible but very minimally and expected for the 11%. You get pine notes and DANK alot of dank. You can tell by the nose this one is about the Hops and that it's HUGE on the hops in a good / GREAT way and that the beer itself is no mild Muthaphucka at that. Tells you to get ready....

TASTE - Follows ther nose 100%. My suggestion is get this beer as fresh as possible because WOW. It's the slickest / Hop Oiliest beer I've ever had without it being syrupy...Hop resins & Oil left all over the tounge & Palate after sipping...Awesome dry Hop Bite in the finish but not overly bitter. DANK. Citris - Mostly mangos and Orangy Grapefruit with a dry Oaky oily finish focused on Hops.

MOUTHFEEL - I'd say good but not the best. This beer is Hop Wine. You know You're drinking a HUGE Hop Blast of a Beer and you back up a bit after each sip to prepare for the next in a good way of course.

DRINKABILITY - It leaves you wanting more But you know it's catching you with the 11%. I think HopSlam is a AWESOME DIPA but finishes too sweet and I don't need another after one or two... NOT THIS ONE THOUGH. I rate it 3.5 via drinkability because like I said it's moreso Hop Wine and while drinking it you know it's a beast and that 2 bombers might make you say some stoooopid schitt. Alcohol mildly noticeable but you know it's there.

FINAL THOUGHTS - the only reason this beer does not get an A+ from me is because it's just too (I don't want to say TOO Big but it's Big) big...in all the right ways of course but it's a superb Hop Wine...the only better TIPA that immediatly comes to mind is PtY and possibly 2010 Hop Crisis From 21A. All 3 are a Hop-Head's must have.

THANKS GEORGE!!!

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Mar 02, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from bomber into my Sam Adams "Perfect Pint"

A- Nice caramel/light amber color with 1-2 finger head that receeded to a nice ring leaving slight lacing.

S- Great pine, grapefruit scents right away followed by some nice tropical mango, pineapple and can barely pick out a very subtle caramel scent(which I don't like in any IPA).

T- Again great piney hops with nice citrus taste, which mellows to the tropical flavors and caramel on the mid palate but then finishes strong with a nice dry oaky piney hop finish. Very interesting the way that this beer transforms within my mouth. Usually IPAs are super hoppy with no malt taste or start out hoppy and give in to caramel finish, this beer goes hoppy-light caramel and sweet tropical flavors-dry hoppy oak. Just awesome to find something like this.

M- Great medium/full body being almost 11% alcohol with good amounts of carbonation throughout.

D- Very easy to drink, I didn't even mention anything about the alcohol because I never noticed it. This beer hides the alcohol better than almost every IPA I have had, my wife didn't even realize that this had 11% alcohol and she cannot stand any beers over 7-8% alcohol. Just a very nice job by these guys to create an IPA unlike any other I have tried.

Schmaltzy, Feb 24, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks go to HopHead84 for providing me with a fairly fresh, bottled 12/09, of this delicious brew.

A-Bright, light copper with a medium light tan/off white, head, that retains well, and leaves behind a nice amount of thick, rope like lace.

S-Resinous pine, floral-kick and orange rind citrus notes up front. Sweet caramel and drying oak notes in the background to balance things out.

T-Juicy hop goodness up front with notes of orange citrus and pine coming through. Sweet caramel, and oak dryness gives it an extremely smooth, yet drying finish. Just a touch of alcohol solvency in the background.

M-Medium to medium-heavy bodied with a nice smoothness and a building dry finish.

D-Well, I love hopped to high heaven beers that are crafted properly and I love the influence of oak in brews, when done right...and this beer nails BOTH of them! Another impressive and well done brew by the folks at Alpine.

Deuane, Feb 23, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a light amber with decent head, ok retention, looks like a beer, yay!

Aroma is wonderful citrus hops, grapefruit, really fills the nose, suprisingly a little bit of malt in the nose.

Flavor is more balanced than expected, suprememly drinkable blend of malt and excellent citrus hops. lots of grapefruit. nice malt backbone kinda suprised me, was expecting a bigger bitter bite.

Overall damn tasty, will grab another if I see it.

SShelly, Feb 22, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Big ups to whoever brought this to our tasting (Renny? Bret?)

Pours a very "Alpine" hazy golden color with a great creamy off white head that leaves lots of wet lacing. Pretty.

My notes on the aroma start with: "Man. AWESOME." Slightly herbal with lots of pine. Slightly spicy smelling with a boatload of orange/tangerine rind smell.

Peppery and piney with nice grapefruit citrus. Nice bitter finish, but not overwhelmingly bitter by any stretch. Very slight butteriness.

Slight heat (right on), lightly carbed, and an oily finish. Jeah.

Crazy tasty and drinkable for a beer of this size. I wouldn't have guessed this was over 8%.

Damn fine. Drink this or go to bed!!

photomike, Feb 21, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

A-pours a hazy golden amber color, huge, thick, creamy, egg shell white head. Very solid retention, lingers for well over a minute leaving a thick coating of lace all over the glass.

S-the nose is pretty big and brings a lot of hops. A big resignous pine aroma starts it off with a nice amount of tropical fruits to accompany. Big grapefruit, some tangerine, and a touch of orange peel.

T-excellent representation of the style! Big hop taste through and through. It starts of with a good amount of piney hops and some floral esters. It then shifts to tropical fruits, appricot, tangerine, and a ton of grapefruit goodness/bitterness. The finish brings a slight bitter hop that lingers briefly in a very positive way

M-medium bodied and somewhat syrupy, almost chewy up front with an assertive carbonation, prickly on the back of the throat, rather dry crisp finish.

D-I could drink this all day, extremely good! This is right up there with the best of the bunch and I'd really like to compare it to PtY. Better chance of running it next to PtE, though.

cpetrone84, Feb 20, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -9.2%

22oz. Bottle acquired in a recent trade with WeeObese. Thanks again man. I've had this in growler form but wanted to see how the bottled version compared.

Pours a very dark golden orange color that's almost brown with dark hazy golden orange hues when held to a light source and a frothy, soapy two finger white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that leaves large chinks of soapy lacing behind.

Uber fresh dank oily hop aroma with lots of luscious citrus and tropical fruit notes. Slightly earthy with hints of pine and marrijuana buds, sweet alcohol and very subtle malt. Lots of orange peel, grapefruit and mango with sme pineapple and a boat load of more stocky resinous hops.

Chewy medium body which is on the fuller end of the spectrum with a lot of uber fresh juicy hop bite that lingers throughout. Plenty dry and bitter with a lot of earthy pine but this is balanced by some sweetness from the high ABV and subtle caramel malt and sweet citrus and tropical fruit flavor. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel as well as some mango and pineapple. Very well balanced and even though the hop flavors are prominent throughout I wish they were moreso. Slightly creamy with a bit too much of an alcohol presence toward the end of the palate. Very good and I actually liked this better than the fresher growled but I still enjoy Pure Hoppiness a lot more.

corby112, Feb 19, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Faintly fuzzy tangerine with golden honey accents and streams of energetic carbonation. The upper third of the glass is filled with ivory colored foam that is an appealing mixture of creaminess and sticky bubbles. Great glass coverage allows the appearance score to be rounded up rather than down.

Too bad that Alpine doesn't publish the hop bill. Juicy pineapple, pink grapefruit and zesty orange guarantee that the little green cones are of American origin. Nothing else will do in a 'San Diego Pale Ale'. Notes of caramel-butterscotch are slightly worrying... and they even pull even with the hops as the beer warms.

This offering has been on my short list of most-favored wants since my Pure Hoppiness review back in 2004. Amazing beer to the nth power could only be even more amazing, right? Well... not exactly. As the label implies, is EH equal to PH squared? No it isn't.

At this point in its lifespan (late December 2009 release) Exponential Hoppiness is not my kind of DIPA. And it isn't going to improve from this point forward, since alcohol mellowing will be accompanied by hop mellowing. Negatives include too much caramel, too much oak, too much alcohol harshness and not enough bright hop flavor. That last one is the biggest negative by far.

Alpine should know better than to give us yet another hoppy American barleywine rather than a true blue, pale malted, hopped-to-the-gills DIPA. Something akin to Russian River Pliny The Younger was expected, but that is definitely not what was delivered. Has this beer always tasted like this or did they change things up for the first bottling?

The mouthfeel is American big beer good. It's both firm and full, without being sappy or sticky. The carbonation isn't as rambunctious as feared. It adds just the right amount of energy without crossing the line into annoying.

Exponential Hoppiness is the biggest disappointment of the year so far and is exhibit 'A' in proving that ridiculous hopping rates do not always result in amazing beer... even from a brewery that knows what amazing beer is all about. It looks like Pure Hoppiness is still the king. Thanks to iowahawk for the bomber.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 17, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

first tasted out of the refrigerator. Wait! ... beer opened up and was much nicer after it warmed up a bit.

Front nose was big, very floral.

Baked pear and apricots. full body, warm and smooth on the tongue... almost viscous.

Great bitter backend that is strong and crisp.

Lingering tones of burnt caramel that fades gracefully.

bihartman, Feb 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

It's alway an honor to tackle such a coveted beer. The beer has many of the characteristics of a Pliny The Elder but with the power that differentiates it but also detracts from the drinkability. Let's explore more...

A strong golden-light copper color gives a light haze and moderate carbonation. The hop additions give a nice even frothiness to the foamstance that covers the beer consistently from the first pour 'til the last.

Strong aromas of fragrant hops: citrusy grapefruit, orange zest, lemon grass, and secondary notes of pine, perfume, flowery notes and honey-like nectar fill the nose... strap this to my nose and leave me alone, I'll die happy. A background of malty substrate acts as a spring board for all those hop aromas.

Hop flavor also dominates the taste. All that citrus, pine, resiny, tropical mix comes more alive in the taste- especially as the beer warms. More estery fruitiness comes in with apples, appricots, mangos and begins to reach English ale proportions. Estery-alcohol blends bring about a solventy, rose, non-descript fruity alcohol blend that creates as much intrigue, comnplexity, and flavor as it does soapy, light fusal, and nail polish notes. Isn't is always a give and take?

The beer does a great job of seeking an elevated Double IPA status (...as a Triple IPA) without sacrificing the well-attenuated body with a dry finish that hurts most ultra-aggressive hoppy beers. Though the alcohols create confussion and eventually lead to a hard-to-drink character, the beer has enough mystery and intrigue to reel it back in.

On a side note: the light oak aging that is used in conjunction with the dry hops help to give a cotton-candy smoothness to the malts while tempering the malts just a tad (to sand off the rougher edges) and adding a marshmallow creamy malted milk note... reminds me of Double Bastard in the oak nature of the beer...

... aaahh, I hate to see this session end. IndiaPaleAle, you've given me great pleasure in sending me this beer. For this, I thank you!

BEERchitect, Feb 14, 2010