Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,474
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,185 | Reviews: 392
4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

Big thanks to Sixofsigmas to getting me this bottle.

Poured into a tulip, with a small white head (I suppose not surprising for 11%). Color is brilliant orange, just what I like to see.

Smell is intense, as soon as I opened the bottle it hit me. Grapefruit, citrus, and some definite hop-funk are in there. Taking a deep whiff I'm vaguely reminded of Parmesan cheese.

Taste is interesting. It's very dry, which I like, but the funk dominates over the piney/citrusy hop flavors. It's different, but as I drink it mellows. I was really expecting more of the pine/citrus, and it's disappointing in that regard. If there's any hint of the ABV it's on the very, very end, and even then it's mild. Amazing job hiding it, I'd never guess this is 11.

Mouthfeel is what you'd expect from Alpine, pretty thick with just-right carbonation.

Overall this is a very good beer, but it's pretty different from most other IPAs I've had. I'm wonder if there's some bottle-to-bottle variation, I have another and will edit this review if it's a lot different.

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

Had it at the brewpub 1 day after the launch. This beer is exceptional. A yellowish-orange colour. There's a punch-in-the-face, hoppy flavour. Tastes of Amarillo, Cascade, and perhaps even some Citra hops. Packed with a huge amount of tropical fruits. Lots of mango and grapefruit. This beer just grows on you after every sip. The mouthfeel is excellent, and the carbonation is not overwhelming. You'd never expect this beer to be anything near 11%. Brings strong floral and citrus notes at the nose. Compared to the previous batch, this really stepped up a notch on the fruit. It's a shame to slowly see this beer go. Get some asap.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on-tap at the brewery. Review from notes.

A: A mostly clear honey-gold with an eggshell white head and dripping lacing.

S: Floral sweetness upfront with various spices, lime salt, lavender, honey-- tons of complexity.

T: Everything in the nose with bready malts and a hint of wasabi. The very layered and complex mix of floralness/spicyness of this was the huge player in the flavor experience with sweetness in the background.

M: A little beyond medium bodied with a somewhat thickish, syrupy feel on the middle of the tongue with a little heat burn in the nose and around the mouth.

O: This beer has a lot going for it, especially in terms of complexity. The flavor profile, surprisingly, reminded me of Just Outstanding IPA quite a bit, which might just be my faulty memory of just outstanding. Maybe I set myself up by loving Alpine's other IPAs so much and hyping this one to myself before trying it, but I must admit it was a little underwhelming. Certainly typical hop character wasn't the center of this drink and I wouldn't describe it as exceptionally refreshing or sesionable, which I always consider a cornerstone of Alpine IPAs. I give this high marks for the interest of the complexity and the handsome flavors, but can't give it the highest marks as I think there are better out there. Think I'll stick to duet and nelson and look elsewhere for my imperial IPAs.

Poured straight from the bottle the night of the release.

Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a very light head.

Smell - Very clean smell. Tons of sweetness, honey, some pineapple and a very pleasant hop smell. I get no sense this beer will have any bitterness. By no means does this beer smell like an 11% beer.

Taste - My nose was very correct. this beer is ran by a sweet honey taste followed by a nice hop character that doesn't give off any hop bitterness. No alcohol present at all in this beer. Very smooth and easy to drink. Way too enjoyable for a 11% brew.

Overall - Pliny the Younger has all the hype, but haven had both I can honestly say I think this one takes the cake as the BEST IMPERIAL IPA.

3.92/5  rDev -11.5%

Went to Alpine today, and what a joy! Expo Hop on tap!

Review from notes.

A: Smelted gold with a core of solar flares. A modest foamy head of about two fingers rises from the glass. Ultra fine ivory bubbles form over the gold bar body. Yellows dominate the outside of the beer, but a battle between yellows and oranges ensues in the body for color dominance. speckled lacing peppers the glass, not too much to mention.

S: The nose is pretty darn crazy! Tamarind and lime salts meld together for a uniquely malt sweet nose. Sugary saltwater taffy that is sticky with sweetness. This is a sticky bomb of sweetness. Sugar crystals form on honey-sickles. Blossomy orange notes keep me from contracting diabetes. Hops were actually faint behind alcohol infused honeys. Really I got a dominating sweetness out of this.

T: Blossoms, Alcohol, and some rather hoppy nectars. The alcohol really rides this pretty heavily. A real honey-mead character that really complicate my flavor description. A lemony alcohol lingers with the specters of some hops. The alcohol slayed a lot of complexity for me here. The alcohol was the dragon-slayer, and the hops the dragon. It was there for a bit, but then the hero prevailed.

M: Silky alcohols and honey mix for an enjoyable introduction to this beer. The alcohol keeps the honey qualities from being too sticky, and perhaps contributes to limiting the hop presence for me in breaking up any hop resins. The bubbles give the beer an almost spicy like mouthfeel. The bubbles vibrate the alcohol a little bit. Eventually the alcohol coats the tongue with a less than sticky honey-marmalade glaze.

O: Really quite good, but the big alcohol character was a bit too much for me. I found it to be a well integrated element, but still rather dominating. Don't get me wrong, I expected this to be a stronger beer. Though the alcohol became quite the flavor inhibitor after a half glass. If you want to numb up to a brew, drink exponential hoppiness. You will be able to do things like go to the dentist after. If you want to be able to get introspective about your palate, then I recommend practicing with a less taxing offering. Honestly my least favorite Alpine IPA. It's not badly made, but it just doesn't compare to any one of the other great IPAs I associate with Alpine.

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours hazy dark yellow with a surprising amount of sediment. Head is a thick dense ring.

Aroma is bready malt, rich light fruit - melon and mango. A touch of yeasty funk and a good bit of alcohol.

Taste is caramel malt up front. Mild light fruit appears as well. Then the intense spicy and resinous hop takes over. finishes with a lingering hop bitterness and alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. thick, resinous hop oil.

Overall a flavorful brew that runs a little alcohol hot. Just the way I like it. Balanced malt and resinous hop. A winner.

4.08/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a thick and sticky white head with lots of sediment.

The smell is a nice mixture of big toasty bready malts and light citrusy hop notes.

Very nice complexity in the flavor, big malty bready toasty malts blending with some light lemony hop flavors, not overly bitter but packed with hop flavor, the oak is there in a more minor and subtle way that becomes more apparent as it warms. A bit of sweet finish with a hint of mint.

The mouthfeel has a nice warm and medium body, the oakyness is a little more evident in the mouthfeel.

Very nice, hard to believe this is eleven percent.

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into goblet at the brewery on 7/26. Pours a magnificent amber orange with a finger of creamy white head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing down the glass. On the nose it is not overly hoppy, particularly toned down I'd say. There absolutely is the distinct Alpine pine notes however. A bit of caramel comes out. On the palate it is warming with the 11% abv with a minute alcohol bite. Hops become more pronounce in the taste, pine and citrus. Also, like the nose, caramel brings itself forth. Has a good amount of carbonation which helps the beer become more refreshing. On a hot day, best enjoyed inside with A/C as it will make you warm and fuzzy. Very pleased with the Expo, it was fulfilling to have after waiting all the these months.

Up until recently, I considered myself a balanced beer drinker. I never really craved any particular style of beer all the time. I enjoy them all; some at certain times of the year more than others. But in just the past couple of weeks, since Hopslam was released, I have found myself craving high IBU beers. It was for this reason that I asked my wife to pick up a Triple IPA from Alpine Beer Company, one of my all time favorite breweries, on her most recent trip to Cali (She said the staff there was very helpful to wives desperate to understand their husband's beer order.)

Pour, Color, & Aroma:
Upon pouring the beer, I noticed a glowing yellow from the beer creating a really nice halo effect. Exciting! After examining the beer in the light, as expected, the beer was crystal clear void of any sediment. The head was very crisp white and was slow to recede, leaving a slight lacing along the glass. This aroma is bewitching! I did not want to pull my nose out of my glass. The complexity was one that I was looking forward to trying to identify. Upfront was a radiant orange sweetness, followed by grapefruit zestiness and a luring pine. A subtle sugary sweetness led me into some some of the malts. A buttery biscuit succeeded the sweetness and eventually gave way to slight caramel maltiness. Just after the aroma I was ready to call this brew my favorite Triple IPA.

Taste:
Okay, this is the first beer that I wanted to stop the review and just enjoy what was in my hand. But I knew that wouldn't be fair. Grapefruit was the most dominating characteristic that came through bringing to mind a perfectly ripe piece of the fruit. Not too tangy, not too sweet, but balanced. Some other light tropical fruits made their presence known, most notably a tropical sweetness I attributed to pineapple as well as a smooth heavier sweetness that reminded me of an apricot. A light biscuit and caramel flavors came through for the malts.

Finish & Body:
This beer definitely left residual sweetness as an after taste, very similar to honey. Although I got a hint of a warming sensation as it was going down, I never would have attributed it to the alcohol. Carbonation level is a little on the low side, however I believe it works to the advantage of this style. The mouth feel is on the heavier side due to some of the creamier sweetness.

Final Thoughts:
This is a great beer. I am proud to say that this overtook the top spot on my favorite beer list, edging out Alaskan Double Black IPA by a slight margin. I highly recommend everyone to try this beer. I have not tried an average beer by this brewery, they only make phenomenal beers, and I look forward to trying each and every one! Prost Alpine!

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured clear golden copper color with an average frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with good lacing. Heavy complex citrus hoppy aroma. Medium to full body with slick texture and soft carbonation. Heavy smooth bittersweet citrus flavor with a heavy bittersweet finish of long duration. This is a standout beer.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Pours a very slight hazed amber orange color pretty bright overall. With a nice white head, head turns into a cap and leaves some really nice layered lacing.

S- A ton of tropical fruits here. Mango, pineapple and grapefruit. A very light malt back bone and a hint of alcohol.

T- Blasted with hops here. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and a bit of pine. The hops smash my taste buds to a pulp.

M- Slick and oily. Fuller side of medium and carbonation was good.

O- A pretty awesome brew for sure.

4.08/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a clear amber orange with a touch of white head. Fairly thick for something like this.... coats the glass. Smells citrusy and hoppy. a touch of oak even on the nose. Lots of pine and grapefruit as well. Tastes citrusy and grapefruit heavy. The pineyness is subtle compared to most alpine beers. Fairly thick and sweet syrupy. The citrusy fruits are the main feature here.
Very smooth and drinkable for something so high in ABV. Overally, solid but not as extraordinary as I had hoped!

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into dimpled mug. Pours a transparent copper body with a nice 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and leaves lots of lacing. Smells very Pliny-like in the sense that this brew has lots of pineapple and grapefruit notes but not as much pine sap, lots more malt presence, and lots more floral hop smell. There is an initial hop bitterness that opens up to a nice pale malt that blends flawlessly with some great oak notes from the oak chips used in the recipe. The next wave is all citrus hops and once the fruit flavor subsides a strong hop bitterness finishes this one off. Tip of the cap to Alpine for packing this much hop bitterness into a brew and keeping it from tasting astringent. The bitterness is well crafted and really enjoyable. Alpine does add a heavy dose of sugar sweetness to the brew to counterbalance the extreme bitterness and mask the high abv which was impressive. Medium bodied and a touch chewy. Decent amount of carbonation and smooth! This is so much better than the Pure Hoppiness brew. Two thumbs up!

4.17/5  rDev -5.9%

Enjoyed on 3/16. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden amber with almost no head and limited lacing. The lacing that is there manages to be very sticky and it's propelled by a decent bit of carbonation.

Aroma is orangey with a distinct hop burn. It's an acidic, bitter scent that blends well with the fruitiness, sort of resembling the tartness of a grapefruit.

Taste has a big fruityness with a buttery, caramel wave in the conclusion. Bite in the finale is strong and dry, reminding me of the bitterness in licorice strings. The sugary sweet notes play well with a punishing bite, making for a tasty and complicated DIPA.

It's surprisingly smooth for all the big hop character and the dry bite doesn't stop the refreshing flow. The malt and hops resonate on the tongue, making the relatively salty conclusion mellow in comparison.

Overall, this is a tasty and drinkable strong IPA that by no means reflects its massive 10% ABV. Worth seeking out for those outside of the California area (like me).

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to GR1313 for the bottle.

Poured into a Pint glass.

A- Bright orange, slight haze. Yellowish colored head, with medium sized bubbles. Head fades to half, but then lingers.

S- Pine, then some Citrus.

T- Citrusy - Lemons, then some pine hits you.

D- Nice carbonation, creamy and smooth.

O- Good IIPA, but it is getting on the older side. I still enjoyed it, but I can only imagine how great it is fresh.

EDIT on 8.5.11
New Bottle from the latest batch.
A - Same.
S - Super pine and grass.
T - Grass and pine dominate, followed by citrus.
D - Good Carboonation, very creamy.
O - A total delight. I love this beer!

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, dark orange-gold color with under one finger of diminishing white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass. A lone stream of eager bubbles rise from the contoured side of the glass. A wisp of drifting yeast is seen low in the column.

S: Caramelly treacle and fermented grain make the smell rich with sweetness and heady vapors that stop well short of being boozy. Tropical fruit in the form of pineapple is faint but present, as is coniferous foliage. Trace amounts of well-cured oak, but no alcohol, is detected in the smell.

T: Begins sweet, with snappy herbaceous spice hop aromatics and candied citrus amidst lively moderate acidity. Fairly intense caramel malt emerges in the middle as spicy hops decline, replaced by the more mellow pineapple tropical fruit from the smell. Oak is also first detected in the middle, although it comes on quite strong in the brisk, drying finish. Bitterness seems restrained at first, but repeated visits reinforce it until the lingering presence is quite significant and faintly medicinal. Intense flavors throughout mask the gentle alcohol presence, although it is frequently hinted at.

M: Medium viscosity; syrupy, resinous, and warming on the palate; with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As indicated by the name, this is a huge DIPA that dominates the palate but also entertains it mightily. Hops and malt, bright and sweet, scintillate on the palate, threatening to overwhelm the senses. Every other wood-aged DIPA encountered thus far could stand to learn a thing or two from this beer, which is surprisingly mellow and easy to tolerate despite all of the senses saying that this is as extreme as it gets. While this beer falls in the same sub-family as Port Hop 15 and Firestone Double Jack, it is its well-practiced balance in the face of ballsy intensity that sets it apart. The palate does not tire of this, even if all reasonable judgment says that it should.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle courtesy of jodan, thanks Jordan!

Got this along with some other nice West Coast IPAs in a trade earlier this week, but have been to sick to drink. Well, after watching the Pens collapse tonight I decided to anyway.

A - Pours a straw color with 2-fingers of rocky foam. This beer is one of the lightest IPAs I've seen, almost bordering on saison hues. Interestingly enough, it's opaque through the sides of the glass, but looking straight down it's crystal clear. Retention is pretty decent, but the lacing is a bit of a let down; just a few strands on the back of the glass.

S - The smell on this really threw me askew when I first inhaled. It's certainly big on the fruits and is incredibly refreshing. Think pool-side bar near the ocean in summer: Huge tropical fruits and citrus, ripe and juicy to the point of oozing. A nice change of pace is that while the typical grapefruit is here, I'm getting boatloads more orange and pineapple, and just the slightest hint of alcohol to draw similarities to an ice-cold Screwdriver. This would be the perfect summer beer despite it's high ABV. The dry-hopping works wonders in this beer.

T - Compared to the nose, the taste is more balanced, for better and for worse. I would've loved to see the uninhibited tropical explosion continue in the flavor, but the malts come through strongly to support them. Here I'm getting more of the typical hop flavors in bitter grapefruit, tangerine, slight pine, and a strong malt backbone. It has a dryness that accentuates the bitterness. The alcohol is present but not as strong as the 11% would suggest. Overall pretty sweet and juicy.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with carbonation a bit on the low side. Definitely more full-bodied than other big IPAs I've had and it lingers for ages in the mouth. I wouldn't call it syrupy, but the last few drops take their time leaving the tongue.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. I would love to try this extremely fresh to see how much more similar the taste would be to the nose, but as it stands now this is still an excellent IPA. Hides its alcohol well and is pushing the limits of how much fruit can be expressed in the nose. I will be seeking this in the future!

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Huge thanks to Ultraman9000 for sending this in a box that arrived today! It immediately went into the fridge so I could enjoy it tonight.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a half inch off-white head. The majority of the head dissipated quickly, but a thin layer of bubbles remained across the majority of the beer.

S - Wow, this smells ridiculously good! Huge amounts of pineapple and citrus fruit blend with some piney notes.

T - After smelling the beer in my glass several times, I couldn't wait to take my first sip and it didn't disappoint. The sweet citrus and slightly bitter piney notes are very well balanced with a malty backbone. A bit of alcohol burn is noticeable on the back end.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Nice and crisp and easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent example of the style. I would buy EH on a regular basis if I could!

4.92/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Golden in color with a thin white head.

S: Oh, sweet God. Absolutely out of this world. The first IPA I ever had from Alpine was O'Brien's IPA and I was blown away by how great it smelled. Until this one, none of their other beers had topped that one. This one is a hophead's wet dream. Huge pine hops and some good tropical sweetness.

T: I think I just jizzed my pants. I got to try this and Pliny the Younger on the same day. Needless to say- best day ever. Huge, huge, huge pine hop flavor with some subtle sweetness. A gorgeous beer.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

A-Pours a Hazy Golden Orange color with a nice 2 finger head and good lacing

S- Has an awesome aroma. Smells of pine with pineapple and sweet citrus notes. Has good hoppiness smell also

T- WOW! Taste is even better than the smell. Has a wonderful sweetness that is not soo sweet that the hops don't shine though. This is EXceptionally balanced. Love the sweetness mixed with the piney flavors

M- Medium bodied, Very crisp and refreshing

D- Overall this is an outstanding beer. On the same plane as Fresh hopsslam but a step above. Love the balance and drinkability of this beer. It doesn't feel like ur drinking a 11%. Try his beer. You wont be disspointed with this DIPA

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Sideswipe for the bottle in one of the many awesome boxes he has sent my way.
Drinking this from a pint while cooking burgers at the grill on a GORGEOUS April afternoon in chicagoland.

A slightly hazy orangey gold color with 2 fingers of white head. Sticky rings of lace form the solid retention.
Smells great, as I know already from the several growlers I've had... Soft malt is dry and crackery with a light sugar cookie sweetness hiding in there. The hops are grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and apricot. Very nice.

Taste is exactly as the nose had me hoping for-- mostly dry malts with huge tropical fruit hop notes. A drying towards the finish is something I associate with a little booziness and oak.

The body is medium-full with strong carbonation and a good oily vibe.

Overall, it's time to eat-- so I'll be brief. This is unimaginably tasty. I want more.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Massive thanks goes out to billinlafayette for this one in a recent trade! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, grapefruit, and grapefruit hop. The flavor was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, grapefruit, and grapefruit hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent in my opinion. All of the aspects I love in a DIPA were present and accounted for. While this one had a lot going on in it, everything worked really well together on both the aroma and flavor of this one. Making this one fairly easy drinking for an 11% ABV brew. I was really glad to get my hands on this one as it has been on my Wants list since I joined the site (almost a year ago). Really hope to get to try it again in the future.

4.67/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter

A- Beautiful white, slightly foamy one finger head, nice golden/straw appearance, slightly hazy, moderate lacing, moderate carbonation.

S- Just amazing, fruits take over this aroma, citrus and pine come out, grapefruit, peaches, really sweet mixed with the bitter hoppy aroma. You get that malt backbone as well. One of the best smelling IPAs I've ever come across.

T- Wow, the taste lives up to the aroma. Just delicious, well balanced, you get the malt taste at the back of your tongue with grapefruit, citrus, peaches and pine. Everything that you smelled you tasted.

M- A little thicker than most IPA's, medium mouth feel, goes down smooth.

O- Truly amazing, Alpine Beer Company really makes some of the best IPA's in the world. Better than PTE and Hopslam in my opinion

4.55/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of this from MaltMilkshake. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Central Waters snifter.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with about a finger white head that stays around for a while. It leaves a thin ring that lasts throughout and very nice lacing.

S- This beer hits you hard. There is a wonderful, yet very strong, smell of grapefruits, pine, sweet fruits, mild oak and floral notes. It is very dynamic and not as one dimensional as most DIPAs that are mostly grapefruit and pine.

T- Wow! Just like the smell there is plenty of grapefruit, pine and floral notes. Unlike the smell there is very surprising flavor of sweet malt that sets it apart from other DIPAs. The sweet malt along with the sweet fruits--apricot, tangerine and pineapple--do a wonderful job of balancing out the bitter hop flavor. For such a high alcohol content it is hardly noticeable.

M- This is what seals the deal for me. The mouthfeel is a little thicker than other IPAs I have had and very creamy. Carbonation is just about perfect and the finish is amazing. The finish is not as drying as I was expecting...something very welcomed. It is really scary how easy this beer is to drink. Full bomber gone in one short sitting by myself and would have loved another.

If you haven't noticed from this review thus far, I am a very big fan of this beer. I am going to have to try to get another bottle soon. There is a 6 pack of Hopslam sitting in my fridge now. It's sad to think that those will be a little disappointing now...

4.12/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to Kingkong for opening this one.

The last in our taste of DIPA night. This pours so light compared to the other DIPA's we had, but the thick one finger of head seemed to be right on for the style. The smell of this beer is worth the price, pure pine hops with a note of sweetness. The taste is great but a bit one note for me, piney from start to finish. Bitterness on the aftertaste was quite high, but I'm getting the alcohol. Overall a very good piney DIPA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company