2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 895 | Reviews: 381 | Show All Ratings:
DarthKostrizer

On tap during San Diego beer week

Look: Pours a translucent orangish color with a good sized head and pretty decent retention and some spotty lace

Smell: The nose is all about the hops which covers quite a full spectrum. There is quite a bit of pine and orange zest upfront and some nice fruity esters on the finish grapefruit comes to mind

Taste: Again the beer is all about the hops. Upfront is quite a bit of citrus upfront backed up by quite a bit of pine and some hop sting. Finishes with a solid malt backbone. The alcohol is very well hidden

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with ample carbonation and dry

Overall: This is a great beer and at 11% it's quite a feat in brewing to make it taste this good with no alcohol present. However there are quite a few DIPA/TIPA's that I prefer

07-03-2012 21:23:36 | More by DarthKostrizer
Duff27

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

Fluffy white head on a clear darker golden body. Splotchy lacing, good cap and collar.

I get pine on the nose. Mmmmm.

Yes hops but more than adequate malt backbone to me. Dank aftertaste. Hard to believe this is 11%abv.

Thicker mouthfeel for a DIPA, near syrupy. Lower end of carbonation.

Solid DIPA here. People say top tier and I'd say that's arguable on either side. Very good. Recommended to get some if you can. Thanks for sharing kawilliams81.

09-15-2012 22:37:36 | More by Duff27
DovaliHops

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

My first visit to Alpine. Pours a slightly clear, amber color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is more malty than I expected. There are a ton of hops with a good amount of citrus and pine, but definitely the biggest malt profile I get in the nose from any of Alpine's hoppy beers. Caramel malt with intense hop aroma. Almost like hop liquid or resin. No booze in the nose. The booze is in the taste, but not nearly as boozy as I was expecting. Again, this is the maltiest of the Alpine hop bombs. Lovely bitter hops mixed with a good amount of sweet malt flavors, this "triple IPA" is definitely worth seeking out. Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy...probably from the hop resin. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this is a great beer when it comes to American...even West Coast DIPAS. However, Double Nelson was WAY better. Along with Duet and Nelson. Expo is a great experience, but not worth the craziness that is out there for bottles.

10-14-2012 07:50:26 | More by DovaliHops
BattleRoadBrewer

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Served from a 64 oz growler at about 36F into a standard 16 oz pint.

Aroma at the growler top had loads of hops, so big it was like sniffing a bag of hop cones.

Pours with medium thick body and a nice heavy off white head about 1" high.

Color is medium amber, leaning towards golden, essentially no haze.

Nose in the glass has a lovely variety, hoppy, citrusy, sweet and a hint of diacetyl.

Taste is a bit unbalanced in favor of the hops. Maybe a hint of diacetyl, and finish is a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderate thickness for the style, slick, and alcohol warmth is evident, but no fusels.

As it warms in the glass, it perfectly maintains its balance.

Overall quite a drinkable beer, with a high ABV that doesn't dominate the character.

03-06-2008 12:00:15 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
womencantsail

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

A: The pour is a slightly hazy golden color with a finger's worth of white foam on top which has wonderful retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S: The nose on this beer is incredibly floral and piney. The hops do not provide as much in the way of citrus as many California IPAs, but this is more than made up for.

T: This is a wonderfully pungent and bitter IPA. There is a fair amount of grapefruit and orange, which is somewhat surprising due to the absence of these fruits in the nose. The finish is incredibly piney and bitter, but also has a noticeable alcoholic heat to it.

M: The body is full, but almost to a point of syrupy. Luckily there is fairly abundant carbonation after the initial pour, but as this begins to die down, things deteriorate a little bit.

D: This is certainly a fantastic DIPA and one that I'm glad I've been able to try a few times now. That said, it's just very noticeably alcoholic which takes away from the enjoyment a bit.

02-02-2010 05:14:20 | More by womencantsail
MASPuros

22 oz. bottle.

A: A very thin white head formed ... tiny bubbles. A nice clear crispy copper color .

S: Hops, hops and hops. Just from the smell I can tell it is going to be oily and resinous, faint tropical fruit smell.

T: Mmmm. Fantastic fresh raw hops fill the mouth. slight sweetness in the middle with a bitter ending. The taste lingers - I am sure my tongue was green after drinking this.

M: Slick and Oily, very astringent finish.

D: This is a shit storm waiting to happen...despite the all the hops this beer has a nice drinablity to it. It will hurt you in the end.

Overall, a must try and I totally recommend it.

03-02-2010 22:28:16 | More by MASPuros
smulkowski

Idaho

A- Lovely, deep ochre.

S- Strong malt aroma, fusel notes, with caramel and pine.

T- Sweet, malty backbone carries alcohol and hops nicely. A bit surprising, I was expecting far more hop forwardness and bitterness.

M- Creamy and thick without being heavy.

D- For the style and ABV, exceptional.

03-19-2010 06:15:36 | More by smulkowski
SpdKilz

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Let me begin this by saying I am doing a taste testing between PtE, Gubna, and this beer. Accordingly, I believe this beer is a bit older than I originally thought so that may skew my ratings.

Appearance - Pours a somewhat cloudy tawny color. I poured relatively vigorously yet achieved only a finger of head that quickly dissipates leaving lackluster lacing. [edit] Did another pour and obtained a MUCH better appearance. Bumping this up to a 4.5 because wow, not sure how, but the second pour was amazing looking. Two fingers of head and sickly sticky lacing.

Smell - Heavy biscuit and malt at the forefront. Again, I feel because this may be two-three months old (found out after I purchased it that it may be that old), the "strong pine and grapefruit" aromas are not as prevalent in my beer. It takes a massive amount of inhaling to even find some of the hoppy/piney/citrusy goodness.

Taste - Malty. Much more of a malty backbone than I would have thought this beer would have. This leads me to think this is somewhat how the beer is, because if the hops fade that fast...well damn. The malty flavors give way to light bitter grapefruit flavors, just a hint of pine, and as it warms up, a bit more of hop bitterness. Still, much more malt flavor than anything else.

Mouthfeel - Creamy (though not as creamy as Gubna) with okay carbonation. I feel this beer is a bit undercarbonated for what it should be.

Drinkability - Relatively so. I do not taste the alcohol but boy can you feel the warmth of it with each sip. Extremely well hidden abv and a decent TIPA, however, when compared to other beers by Alpine (i.e. Nelson and Duet) I would choose those over this, and accordingly a Pliny over this. Again, I feel this review is somewhat biased if indeed this is a bit older than it should be, however, I just purchased a Nelson from the same store (and I believe they got it in the same time) and that was still in fantastic condition. "shrugs" I will have to re-review this when I get a BRAND spanking new one, however, for now...I was not "that" impressed with such a highly ranked TIPA.

03-22-2010 00:53:16 | More by SpdKilz
muttyd

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep amber/ruby body with a thin white head. Great lacing and legs. Wish it had more of a head to really bring out those aromas. Which leads me too...

S - Not what I expected at all. I've been on an IPA binge lately and I've been used to the strong earthy/piney hop aroma. This aroma is all sweet flower / citrus. Smells delicious.

T - Very sweet but balanced by a bitter hop bite. Hints of pine/earthyness comes through when it hits the tongue, but I am getting more of the sweet malt/toffee flavor. I'm still learning how to properly review a beer and the best way I can describe this beer is busy. Lots of strong flavors going on, and they all work together perfectly.

M - Very thick and almost creamy. Bitter finish, as expected.

D - Very different IPA from the other west-coast IPAs that I've been trying lately but still delicious. Outstanding drinkability for the alcohol / sheer flavor in this beer.

03-26-2010 00:58:26 | More by muttyd
AgentZero

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Hazy and a bit darker than I was expecting from an IPA. Decently sized head with some nice lacing.

S - Smells like a malty IPA, not nearly the hop profile or strength of aroma I was expecting. A bit sweet, with pine and citrus notes.

T - Malty and hoppy. The citrus is grapefruity but it fades into some nice pine notes. Nice alcohol burn, I dig it in these types of beers. Very malty backbone, not overly sweet, but present.

M - Heavier IPA, very creamy.

D - I'd like it a little less malty and lighter to improve the drinkability, but it's a pretty easy drinker, especially for the ABV.

04-17-2010 17:01:50 | More by AgentZero
bashiba

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a thick and sticky white head with lots of sediment.

The smell is a nice mixture of big toasty bready malts and light citrusy hop notes.

Very nice complexity in the flavor, big malty bready toasty malts blending with some light lemony hop flavors, not overly bitter but packed with hop flavor, the oak is there in a more minor and subtle way that becomes more apparent as it warms. A bit of sweet finish with a hint of mint.

The mouthfeel has a nice warm and medium body, the oakyness is a little more evident in the mouthfeel.

Very nice, hard to believe this is eleven percent.

07-27-2011 01:25:03 | More by bashiba
sukwonee

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Obtained this one through a trade. Thanks (you know who you are!)

It's a 3 month old bottle, but that's the latest batch made by the brewery. So... here it goes:

A: Clear orange/amber color, with 1 finger head. good amount of lacing. Lots of bubbles.

S: Mango, orange zest, grapefruit, some bitter, pine, very complex. I can also smell some malt.

T: I swear to god... I can taste some soy? in there towards the middle. Floral, some herbs, pine, I can't really make out the fruits, other than grapefruit and orange. Very different from all other IPAs I have had before.

M: I wish this was a bit more carbonated. It's a bit on the flatter side. Surprisingly lighter in body than it appears (although I wouldn't call it light).

O: I am glad I got to try this. I wonder how it tastes fresher. I think it needs a bit carbonation or thickness in the body.

05-27-2012 03:01:25 | More by sukwonee
kojevergas

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Served on-draught at Alpine's brewpub. Served in a tulip. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were fairly high given Alpine's reputation. Boy, was I in for a treat. Cost was $1/oz for the pour.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head. Quite creamy. Amazing retention for the high ABV. Great thickness. A delightfully foamy head. Body colour is a vibrant copper-hold. Transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Very appealing.

Sm: Delightfully floral. Clean malts and citrus come through, along with some pine and oily hops. A moderate strength aroma. Right on the money for the style.

T: Crisp, floral, citrusy, clean. Piney hops, some light oily character, probably grapefruit citrus. Floral vibrance is evocative and delicious. The clean malt backbone never intrudes on the diverse hop flavours. Bitterness comes through ever-so-lightly, reminding you of the hops without hitting you over the head with them. Quite balanced and tasty. No yeast or alcohol comes through, Quite impressive. Lightly cream.y Refreshing and incedible; I quite like it. A complex and incredibly (almost deceptively) subtle brew. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Perfect thickness. Good carbonation. Suits the flavours very well. None of that awful coarseness and dryness from overdone hop bitterness. Just easy balance and enjoyable texture.

Dr: Amazingly drinkable for the high ABV. I love it. An amazing IPA; amongst the best I've had. Lives up to the hype. I'd recommend this to friends. A bit pricey, but worth it for the quality. Holds a candle to Pliny the Younger. I'd love to try them side by side. A huge wow from Alpine. Bravo. I'll definitely be having this again.

A terrible candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

Serve cold.

A-

10-19-2012 05:13:25 | More by kojevergas
WeisGuy

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

a - pours a slightly hazy burnt orange with a one-finger ivory head, good retention and lacing

s - surprisingly sweet malty aroma with a healthy dose of caramel malt and oak, no doubt there is a good amount of hops in the nose as well, lots of orange and grapefruit come through, moderate alcohol presence, some pine, the hops come out more as the beer warms

t - big sweet caramel malt flavor up front, some breadiness and earthiness, mid-palate has considerable bitter orange and grapefruit hop flavors, citrus bitterness lingers into the finish where notes of oak, earthiness and grass appear, slightly astringent alcohol as well, overall a much sweeter beer than most DIPAs I've tried

m - medium-to-full bodied, moderate carbonation, alcohol warming, fairly dry finish from the hop bitterness but the sweetness balances it out pretty well for a DIPA

d - not overly drinkable because you can tell the alcohol is there, but more well-balanced than most DIPAs if not sweet, complexity gives it drinkability points

Overall, another good IPA from Alpine. The oak has definitely mellowed out the hops a little bit. I find it to be a tad too sweet for my tastes - I like DIPAs to be a bit more hop forward.

01-04-2010 01:37:39 | More by WeisGuy
prototypic

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Big thanks to JessetheHut for the bottle.

Exponential Hoppiness pours a caramel brown color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting gives it some orange highlights. A thin white head covers the surface. It doesn't quite rise to a finger in depth. It falls quickly to the surface and holds there for a bit. Lacing was moderate and sticky. Not bad at all.

The nose is good, but doesn't blow me away. It does have a nice citric hop presence. Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange scents are fairly strong throughout. Caramel malts have almost an equally strong presence. They give it a very sweet smell. Kind of sugary in its own right. Alcohol is noted, but doesn't come through all that strong. It's blended pretty well for a 11% beer. It's a nice smelling beer. No question about that. It's not exactly jaw dropping though.

I'm waffling a little on the flavor. It's good. Very good. I really like the hop profile, whatever it is. It's full of citrus grapefruit, orange, and pineapple flavors. There's also a piney flavor that really complements the citrus flavors nicely. I love the hop flavor. There's even a floral aspect to them that I didn't pick up on the nose. I don't like the fact that it's not as bitter as it could be. That aspect seems to have been swallowed up by sweet caramel malt. Don't get me wrong, it has a bitter bite to it. But, I was expecting more. It doesn't ruin it by any means, but it takes away its edge to a degree. It's skewed in the hop direction, but not by a great deal. It has more balance than you might expect. Alcohol is blended pretty well. It is noted, but isn't warming or hot. It finishes sweet, citrusy, and a little dry.

It has a medium body that's nice and smooth. It initially felt too light but has grown more substantial with a few more degrees. It feels creamy and svelte. Very impressive. Drinkability is actually very high. I do like the flavor here quite a bit. It also goes down way too easy for such a big beer. It feels more like a 7-8% beer rather than 11%.

Exponential Hoppiness is good beer. I'm still wrestling with the "Triple IPA" concept and how much I like it. I'm not a big fan of caramel malt heavy DIPAs and that's even more of an issue with Triple IPAs (whatever that is). To be fair, this is good beer and I've enjoyed my share of the bottle. However, I think it pales in comparison to Pure Hoppiness. This one's good and is definitely recommended. But, if you're forced with a choice, go with Pure Hoppiness.

01-10-2010 03:14:12 | More by prototypic
younger35

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Received this brew from JessetheHutt over there on the Left Coast. Expo has been on my most wanted list for quite some time and I never had the ammo to score a growler because of the ridiculous shit. The regular Alpine IPA's are amazing. CAN NOT wait to taste this badboy. Drank from my Willimantic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super light orange with a decent half finger off-white creamy head. A beautiful cap and collar are maintained the entire beer but somehow not a lot of lacing is left.
Smell- Lightly floral and with a nice soft hoppiness that is different but good. Honestly the first thing that pops out at me is how much vanilla and cream I get in the nose. The wood really does its thing in the nose. Perhaps a touch of lilac and lavender amongst some orange peel and tarragon.
Taste- Starts somewhat harshly bitter but once my mouth acclimates it's full of big bold citrusy hoppy goodness. Loads of grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple and pith of all kinds just explode out of the glass. Hoppy and dank as hell! As the beer warms the vanilla really comes out hardcore as the oak is fairly strong. Sort of remarkably strong considering its just oak chips that are used. The malt sneaks in toward the finish as well adding just a touch of caramel and nutty grain. The alcohol is hidden quite well considering the ABV.
Mouthfeel- Nice heavy body with a big oily richness from the crazy amount of hops and a super light carbonation.
Drinkability- Not bad. Not bad at all. Honestly at first I wasn't all that impressed but after it warmed slightly it was a wholly different beast. Good thing Jesse sent me three bombers because it took all 3 to figure this beer out. It's hoppy as hell and just as woody. Everything I was hoping it would be in the end. Thanks much Jesse!

02-01-2010 03:06:53 | More by younger35
aglose45

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks goes out to Stawn for trading me this beer!

A: Pours a copper color with a bit of ruby hue to it. It is nice and hazy looking, and the head sticks around for a good while. The lacing clings nice and thick to the walls of the glass!

S: The nose is pungent and full of citrus fruit. Initially I am picking up a tangerine scent. Next, I pick up some pine and other dank hoppy qualities. The nose suggests a bready malt backbone.

T: The taste is just as the nose suggests. It's full of citrus fruits, starting off with nice tangerine and grapefruit flavors. I also pick up a minimal amount alcohol heat early on. The second sip was full of piney flavor. This beer has some danky hop qualities to it, which is pleasant. As the beer warms the tart white grapefruit flavor really pushes forward. The nose was spot on with a bready malt backbone. There is also oak in there, and as the beer warms it seems to smooth out the alcohol flavor. There is a solid amount of bitterness as well. --- I feel the score should be somewhere between 4 and 4.5 - adjusted smell up from 4/5 to 4.5/5 to accomodate.

M: Medium bodied with a creamy mouth feel, but a bit undercarbonated.

D: This beer has a lot going on in it, which makes it a joy to work through. However, with the high abv this may be a one bomber per night beast of a beer! Overall, this beer may be a bit too sweet and a bit too hot for me to call this a top notch DIPA, but is still a damn good one.

02-10-2010 22:08:13 | More by aglose45
RBassSFHOPit2ME

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Let me start by saying I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for 2 years and awesome to note that this beer I was told is the newest batch but I can't find a bottle on date (Should be within 10 days old)...HUGE thanks to 1st time trader GThornton (Mr. George)

APPEARANCE - A golden orange and suprisingly very clear for a TIPA....Impresssive to say the least for a Hop Monster this Big. The 1 inch head diminishes rather quickly and you can tell this is going to be a sticky / resiney bad ass of a Muthaphucka.

SMELL - Hop Wine...Citris and a tiny tiny bit of Oak - alcohol burn in the nose detectible but very minimally and expected for the 11%. You get pine notes and DANK alot of dank. You can tell by the nose this one is about the Hops and that it's HUGE on the hops in a good / GREAT way and that the beer itself is no mild Muthaphucka at that. Tells you to get ready....

TASTE - Follows ther nose 100%. My suggestion is get this beer as fresh as possible because WOW. It's the slickest / Hop Oiliest beer I've ever had without it being syrupy...Hop resins & Oil left all over the tounge & Palate after sipping...Awesome dry Hop Bite in the finish but not overly bitter. DANK. Citris - Mostly mangos and Orangy Grapefruit with a dry Oaky oily finish focused on Hops.

MOUTHFEEL - I'd say good but not the best. This beer is Hop Wine. You know You're drinking a HUGE Hop Blast of a Beer and you back up a bit after each sip to prepare for the next in a good way of course.

DRINKABILITY - It leaves you wanting more But you know it's catching you with the 11%. I think HopSlam is a AWESOME DIPA but finishes too sweet and I don't need another after one or two... NOT THIS ONE THOUGH. I rate it 3.5 via drinkability because like I said it's moreso Hop Wine and while drinking it you know it's a beast and that 2 bombers might make you say some stoooopid schitt. Alcohol mildly noticeable but you know it's there.

FINAL THOUGHTS - the only reason this beer does not get an A+ from me is because it's just too (I don't want to say TOO Big but it's Big) big...in all the right ways of course but it's a superb Hop Wine...the only better TIPA that immediatly comes to mind is PtY and possibly 2010 Hop Crisis From 21A. All 3 are a Hop-Head's must have.

THANKS GEORGE!!!

03-02-2010 03:58:34 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

Received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity!

Pours a slightly hazy deep orange amber color with a small fluffy white head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of grapefruit and slight pineapple with more caramel and toffee than I expected. Taste is much the same as the aroma. Juicy grapefruit mixed with caramel and toffee or butterscotch. Taste is smooth as hell. Medium body with a lingering almost sweet finish. Light to medium level of carbonation, resinous mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this one. I had this right after it came out as well, and the hops are fading quickly. Great beer, especially fresh.

04-11-2010 23:39:34 | More by johnnnniee
Stigs

22oz bottle split with a friend

A - dark amber in color with a nice creamy, light khaki colored head. some sticky lacing left behind.

S - very fruity and citrusy hops...candied oranges and pineapple, massive amount of rich sweet caramel and bready malt.

T - though the hops may have faded a bit this is still in that nice heavily-balanced DIPA area...reminiscent of East Coast DIPA's. citrusy and slightly piney hops backed by a strong caramel and fruity base. reminds me of a hop-heavy 90minute with more alcohol.

M - thick bodied and incredibly creamy. carbonation is light but playful. finishes with lingering pine and alcohol burn.

D - dangerously drinkable for the ABV. a great balanced DIPA that is hoppy enough to hold up over some time and please hop-heads.

07-04-2010 17:21:06 | More by Stigs
Brenden

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

My notes are a bit old but good.

This beer is a dark golden color verging on amber with some near-orange hues. There's a nice, creamy white pillow of head on top that has pretty good retention and leaves patchy lacing on the glass.
The nose is a beauty. This is one fragrant beer and a hop monster beside. I really have to sort this out, because there's a deep complexity to it. The hop profile is really a mix of the citrus end of the spectrum and the dryer resiny pine end. Heavy, juicy grapefruit, lemon and orange peel mix with pine resin while, lingering alongside, herbal and flowery notes mingle with a touch of something like honey and maybe even just a hint of something minty way underneath. There's a good, sturdy malt in the aroma to balance it all out.
The flavor follows suit, with the hops profile big, complex and powerful, but it absolutely overpowers the malts in the flavor and, while detectable in the aroma, they're not so much here. There's also a touch more lighter fruit presence coming into play with each sip, so if anything the hops character actually improves. i just need that malt body to hold it together, and a touch of solvent comes through lightly as well. Alcohol is none too noticeable, but does provide a bit of a kick here and there.
This is one of those beers that's dry on the one hand, full of hops character and almost provides a "woody" character, but is proven to be skillfully crafted by a complete smoothing out and a balancing on the tongue to the point that the dryness somehow mingles with a well-carbonated, creamy smoothness in the body. Very nicely done.
I'll seek this out again if I'm out of town someplace where it can be found.

12-06-2010 17:57:57 | More by Brenden
SSGeq

4.15/5  rDev -6.7%

this beer comes from a awesome small little brewery out here in san diego, ca. they only release this beer once a year and it normally sells out in about three days, this year though, it sold out in one day. it's a was a limit 6 this year and sold for $10 a 22oz bottle. it has a great hoppy small to it that is quiet overwhelming and awesome. for a 11%ABV, doesn't taste like it. it's easy and smooth.

02-08-2012 05:44:19 | More by SSGeq
Sean9689

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%

Huge thanks to Scott (hooliganlife) for a taste out of his growler!

Pour burnt orange with some remaining carbonation since this growler was cracked a couple of days ago. The noise on the about knocks me over! Huge pine/citrus notes just oozing out! Taste is lots of citrus and pine...gotta love all that hoppy goodness! Mouthfeel is great, smooth, medium body, and enough hops to blow your tastebuds out of the water! A couple of these a session would be enough for me. Pliny the Elder is a better overall DIPA, but this is a great one as well!

04-13-2009 18:55:47 | More by Sean9689
ffejherb

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured via growler into shaker pint on 4/18/09. Thanks to Deuane for sharing this at a recent tasting.

A - Poured a clear amber body with sparse amount of slow-rising carbonation and solid two-finger frothy, milky white head that retained quite well and deposited thick lacing around the glass.

S - Super fresh hop nose with oak and woody notes and hints of sweet leafy tobacco... not to mention copious amounts of citrus hops as well as some piney accents. Some spiciness and alcohol notes also emerge as it warmed up. Wow! This is one dank, pungent DIPA nose.

T - Lots of citrus flavor up front with a backing of sweet caramel and bready malt. Piney accents also emerge with an apparent oak dryness and some spicy notes. A citrus rind character appears in the backend with a dry, pithy aspect.

M - Medium to full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and sticky texture. The softly carbonated body results in a very smooth mouthfeel overall. Finish is pretty dry with a lingering hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Fresh and flavorful with an oak presence that is not over-the-top at all and provides a nice dryness to complement the aggressive hoppy character of this DIPA. Very unique and tasty to say the least. Glad I had the opportunity to try this draft-only release from Alpine.

04-19-2009 21:49:33 | More by ffejherb
drabmuh

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%

Received in a trade with stawn, thanks man.

Poured from a bottle into an arrogant bastard imperial pilsner glass. Beer is amber and slightly hazy, carbonation moderate to high. Forms a good one fingered white head of medium to small bubbles and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

Aroma isn't quite as hoppy as I expected but hops are all over it anyway. There is a malt sweetness to the aroma that underpins the mostly pine hop aroma.

Medium body, nice sweetness up front, not as bitter as expected but there is nice sweet fruit flavors throughout the palate. The beer is surprisingly drinkable, there is no heat or detectable alcohol at all in this beer. Second taste, bitterness grows but I think the sweetness is winning overall. When I lifted the glass to my mouth that time I got punched in the face with the hop aroma. The bitterness builds as almost an aftertaste as I drink. I love it though. Good DIPA (although I think my rDev is going to be negative for this review).

01-29-2010 23:47:26 | More by drabmuh